Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

loving borders, how do they work?

Is this normal now? After earliest start date, currently 929.

They're on the left of this screenshot too.

Edit: gently caress

It's not unusual. The Pagan realms generally go to poo poo because of various conquests/subjugations, and the fact that they'll intermarry between any pagan religion, which leads to people having claims/inheriting stuff halfway across the continent.

Europe in the 769 start can go one of two ways; either Charlie holds on long enough to form Francia (or the HRE, very rarely), and then it more or less stays a giant blue blob forever, or he kicks the bucket early, the whole continent splits up into three kingdoms, which themselves fall into chaos, and everything goes to hell like in the east. In my current game it was the latter - in fact he died off so early that Carloman actually ended up as king of West Francia for a while because Karl died before the event fired that kills Carloman off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also being stuck with any flavor of gavelkind for several generations ruins borders.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

One more for the night:

Eh, I've seen uglier borders.

Wait a second....

Is that...?

Oh, gently caress off.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It would be nice if Muslims could use Favors to demand decadent people to shape up. Especially since, at least in this one guy's case, it seems to still be tyrannical to arrest decadent dynasty members that have turned down my demand to knock it off.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GSD posted:

It would be nice if Muslims could use Favors to demand decadent people to shape up. Especially since, at least in this one guy's case, it seems to still be tyrannical to arrest decadent dynasty members that have turned down my demand to knock it off.

It's always been that way, but the tyranny penalty is lower than if you just arrest someone randomly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Europe in the 769 start can go one of two ways; either Charlie holds on long enough to form Francia (or the HRE, very rarely), and then it more or less stays a giant blue blob forever, or he kicks the bucket early, the whole continent splits up into three kingdoms, which themselves fall into chaos, and everything goes to hell like in the east. In my current game it was the latter - in fact he died off so early that Carloman actually ended up as king of West Francia for a while because Karl died before the event fired that kills Carloman off.

I don't think it's possible to form the HRE any more. One of the Francias or Germany will infest the continent, gain massive infamy as a result and be stomped by a Coalition of Everyone. And players can't do it because the reputation changes make it basically impossible to reach 100 with the Pope.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Has anybody else had issues with the official CK2 to EU4 converter in the latest patch? I ran it and it created a whole bunch of uncolonized provinces in India (that had almost full population bars and a culture but no owner).

Anybody else had this issue?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Shiiiit, I bought all the expansions except Conclave and the world map has drastically changed across all of europe. Bulgaria appears and disappears in new eras and a bunch of the balkan states have entirely different borders. :wtc:

This makes my Byzantine roleplaying much harder.

Edit: Apparently I can no longer order my own children murdered, either?!? :wtc:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rime posted:

Shiiiit, I bought all the expansions except Conclave and the world map has drastically changed across all of europe. Bulgaria appears and disappears in new eras and a bunch of the balkan states have entirely different borders. :wtc:

This makes my Byzantine roleplaying much harder.

Edit: Apparently I can no longer order my own children murdered, either?!? :wtc:

Killing your old children was taken out a few patches ago. It made dealing with (elective) gavelkind, too easy. And since they pushed some form of gavelkind on all tribals and unreformed pagans, they had to make sure that it forever remains the worst succession system.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rime posted:

Just put them at the head of the smallest army and send it to fight the combined forces of the Kaiser or some poo poo

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Another possibility is to make them your Chancellor and have them fabricate a claim or try to foment dissent, or your Court Chaplain and try to have them convert a pagan province.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I don't think it's possible to form the HRE any more. One of the Francias or Germany will infest the continent, gain massive infamy as a result and be stomped by a Coalition of Everyone. And players can't do it because the reputation changes make it basically impossible to reach 100 with the Pope.

Apparently they're going to address the huge infamy from the Charlemagne events in the next patch, but the Pope requirement will probably always be an issue for the AI now. It was never very good at it even before all the relationship modifiers got halved. As a player though you can still do it if you double up a chancellor and court chaplain improving relations in Rome.

Or hell, just make an antipope and press their claim.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently they're going to address the huge infamy from the Charlemagne events in the next patch, but the Pope requirement will probably always be an issue for the AI now. It was never very good at it even before all the relationship modifiers got halved. As a player though you can still do it if you double up a chancellor and court chaplain improving relations in Rome.

In the upcoming changes post by Paradox about the infamy and coalition fix, they also said that the 100 relations with the pope requirement will be waived for the AI.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
So what's this I hear about Conclave being the last bit of DLC released for CK2?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I just formed the HRE with Charlemange in ironman mode by letting the Pope educate my children at 10 rep a kid, plus a gift, an indulgence, and the Theology focus. I had the extra negative of owning a county he wanted.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Vichan posted:

So what's this I hear about Conclave being the last bit of DLC released for CK2?

Probably fake since we dont have China on the map yet

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
So, before I completely gently caress myself in my current ironman game. Will all of the coalition actually declare war on me if I attack someone in it that is Muslim or Pagan if most of the coalition is Christian? Or will just the parts that share religion join?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Elias_Maluco posted:

Probably fake since we dont have China on the map yet

Or Africa. Like, China would be a major amount of work mapwise, but Africa dude...just extend the map a liiitle bit down south, add that land bridge between the two sides over the jungle, add some new mechanics maybe to tribal govt. and religious systems and voila. Still a fair bit of work, but a lot less than going for the full Asia experience.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I think it makes more sense for them to extend the map by following the Silk Road east vs. expanding south in Africa, but the tears on the paradox forums over creating an Africa DLC would totally be worth it.

What I really want, though, is an expansion that just offers a bajillion more events and story chains. I am a terrible goon who enjoys role playing my characters based on their traits and any help in doing that would be much appreciated!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheCIASentMe posted:

So, before I completely gently caress myself in my current ironman game. Will all of the coalition actually declare war on me if I attack someone in it that is Muslim or Pagan if most of the coalition is Christian? Or will just the parts that share religion join?

They won't if it's a holy war, but they might if it's a claim war.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I can personally confirm that coalitions trigger regardless of CB. I declared holy war for a Muslim duchy, and a West African (my religion) coalition member auto-joined.

Edit:

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 10, 2016

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

No further map expansion, please. It will only create even more pocket worlds like India which will hog the CPU and 99% of players won't deal with anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That apparently isn't happening anyway so,

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently they're going to address the huge infamy from the Charlemagne events in the next patch, but the Pope requirement will probably always be an issue for the AI now.

The AI doesn't have the Papal relations requirement.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

How the hell do you siege someone's island holdings in the Karl start?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

cool and good posted:

How the hell do you siege someone's island holdings in the Karl start?

Vassalize someone else on the island and hope they can give you more men than your enemy. This could work for Sardinia/Corsica and maybe Cyprus or Iceland.

Alternately: Wait 50 years.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

You win this time, Duke of Mallorca

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Odobenidae posted:

Vassalize someone else on the island and hope they can give you more men than your enemy. This could work for Sardinia/Corsica and maybe Cyprus or Iceland.

Alternately: Wait 50 years.

Or be Vikings (which is also requires waiting 50 years but you get the upgrades and tech for free at least).

Unrelated note: Groogy: Is it intended that women can become marshal at Notable status of women, but can't be made into commanders until Full? It seems like both of those options should unlock at Notable and Full should be reserved for Abs. Cog inheritance and no opinion penalties for female rulers/heirs.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Unrelated note: Groogy: Is it intended that women can become marshal at Notable status of women, but can't be made into commanders until Full? It seems like both of those options should unlock at Notable and Full should be reserved for Abs. Cog inheritance and no opinion penalties for female rulers/heirs.

I'm not sure, but I do know that there is some variation and differences between cultures/religions in when stuff gets unlocked. Cathars, Basque and so on get stuff earlier I think? But my initial guess from what Divine was thinking is that the Marshal is not a commander but as a position in the council who does a ton of paper lifting and not as much swinging around with swords. (Now days I never put my marshal in the armies, he does better job raising more men since high martial is not decisive to winning battles but leadership traits are).

I'll check if it is WAD but my guess is it is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So what's with the Erudite and Stubborn traits? I haven't seen any events or anything for them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So what's with the Erudite and Stubborn traits? I haven't seen any events or anything for them.

You can get them as a result of some of the new childhood traits maturing. I'm not sure if they have any kind of special effects in events or anything - I think they're just standard traits.

Groogy posted:

I'm not sure, but I do know that there is some variation and differences between cultures/religions in when stuff gets unlocked. Cathars, Basque and so on get stuff earlier I think? But my initial guess from what Divine was thinking is that the Marshal is not a commander but as a position in the council who does a ton of paper lifting and not as much swinging around with swords. (Now days I never put my marshal in the armies, he does better job raising more men since high martial is not decisive to winning battles but leadership traits are).

I'll check if it is WAD but my guess is it is.

That kind of makes sense - my thinking was along the lines of the old system where someone flagged as eligible for the marshal position (like Joan of Arc) would also automatically be considered eligible to lead armies.

If it makes any difference the game I noticed it was as a Reformed Slavic Russian ruler.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 11, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A confidential source has informed me about a bug in one version of the game.

If a black and a white character would had children, there is a chance that the children would have horse gfx.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 11, 2016

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Nope, checks out

I know a guy IRL that is a horse and he had a white parent and a black parent.

Jokes aside, I hope they don't increase the map

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Take a loving hint Sancha.... It's -15 relations per event, so I've told her to gently caress off at least 20 times now. She still keeps spamming me every month.

Also, I wish they'd do something to make handling prisoners easier. I got 60 prisoners from taking a single county a while back, and most of them are still rotting in my dungeons, because it's just not worth the bother to do anything about them. I'd settle for a "release all prisoners"-button at this point, just to get rid of the spam from education events (I really don't care how well educated my prisoners are). Maybe a "automatically try to ransom all prisoners"-toggle, like the one for stopping plots? Would be nice if the "ransom prisoner" button disappeared or changed substantially instead of fading slightly when ransoming isn't possible too, because it's a bit difficult to tell the difference at a glance between prisoners I can and can't ransom.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I know there's been a patch since the update. Is the game now pretty stable or still got that new-dlc shakiness? I've been reading The Prince in my lunch breaks and it's made me want to engage in some serious realpolitik.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
There are a few annoying issues, but it's definitely playable. The whole "shattered retreat" thing definitely needs some work though, I end up ragequitting almost every time my army does a shattered retreat. Like yesterday, I lost a battle in Aragon (I'm the emperor of Hispania and control all of Iberia) during a war with some Italians. My army then decided to "retreat" to the enemy capital in northern Italy, which was pretty much the only direction they couldn't safely retreat, because one of my allies had a tiny army there. Marching there and back again takes ages, so luckily the AI was too incompetent to do any real damage while my troops were loving around.

Just don't lose any battles and it's not too bad.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

This patch owns so much. First time ever I see a Germanic raider straight up kick the pope out of Rome. loving incredible. That and Lombardy actually holy warring for things in Africa :eyepop:
One question though, what exactly is the point of a mercenary band? I see there's a modifier on my holdings sucking 30% of my levy size to maintain the (now 6300) guys of the Constantinopean band. Is feeding them more troops going to increase how much levy size they take from me? Is there some neat mechanic I should be exploiting like landing my own band and have a varangian guard 2.0 available on the cheap?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hambilderberglar posted:

This patch owns so much. First time ever I see a Germanic raider straight up kick the pope out of Rome. loving incredible. That and Lombardy actually holy warring for things in Africa :eyepop:
One question though, what exactly is the point of a mercenary band? I see there's a modifier on my holdings sucking 30% of my levy size to maintain the (now 6300) guys of the Constantinopean band. Is feeding them more troops going to increase how much levy size they take from me? Is there some neat mechanic I should be exploiting like landing my own band and have a varangian guard 2.0 available on the cheap?

It's kind of confusing - when they ask for more troops it doesn't actually seem too increase the demand on your demense levies, it just makes the mercenary band bigger, and thus more expensive.

The main point of having one is that when someone hires them, a portion of the upkeep costs they pay goes directly to you, so you're trading levy size for more (potential) income.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's kind of confusing - when they ask for more troops it doesn't actually seem too increase the demand on your demense levies, it just makes the mercenary band bigger, and thus more expensive.

The main point of having one is that when someone hires them, a portion of the upkeep costs they pay goes directly to you, so you're trading levy size for more (potential) income.
Since I'm far and away the richest (and only) Orthodox ruler, I don't think there's that much potential to hire them out to others for cash. I do like the convenience of a larger Varangian Guard that I can call up to stomp on raiders that have grown bigger than they can handle, but the cost is offputting. Can I replace the captain with a landed vassal and have them under me that way and save some bucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Haha, five minutes in I'm feeling smug at getting the council control over title revocation and then realise that's for my own realm, not my liege. Woops.

How do you try to make votes in your liege's council? I'm on it but the options are greyed out.

• Locked thread