Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If I remember correctly I first picked those from pack 2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The actual human tribal deck is U/W equipment featuring INVISIBLE STALKER!!!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Kind of late but BR can be really good if you just go balls deep and chain a ton of Bump in The Nights. One of the funniest drafts I did in triple was RB with 3 bumps and 2 brimstone volleys.

E: Oh yeah and pitchburn devils. Its certainly not the best but it can work.

Fires of Undeath

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The little blue mana dork is actually way more playable than he looks, and the self mill Horned Turtle is actually really close to top tier.

Everblight posted:

I still don't quite get how that deck works. You're still drawing a card every turn, so you will deck out about as fast as they will. You lose if they have a single Mental Note or whatever.

Yeah this is first pickable for sure, and it was really fun in Burning Vengeance which probably isn't really a good deck so much as it was a fun deck.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It was INNx3

Though my other favorite funniest draft ever was with dark ascension. I used Trepenation blade, which was called a bad card and then milled all of my friends cards. For 6 turns in a row he drew lands. No we didnt misread the card, he just had bad luck. He had some flashbacks but the landscrew put him kind of on tilt and he lost. It is a bad card but it was worth it.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 10, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Travel Preparation on to Orchard Spirit is without a doubt the strongest thing you can be doing but it's not remotely the most fun thing to be doing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Travel Preparation on to Orchard Spirit is without a doubt the strongest thing you can be doing but it's not remotely the most fun thing to be doing.

I never got the point of giving Orchard Spirit flying in all but name

like how come MARO doesn't complain about that breaking the pie, is all you have to do really just write out the reminder text instead of the keyword

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

And cards like Bonds of Faith were why INNx3 was so fun. There was so many lines of play with relatively straightforward cards. Yeah it was removal 90% of the time, but that one time you put it on an invisible stalker to win the game was the best.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

like how come MARO doesn't complain about that breaking the pie, is all you have to do really just write out the reminder text instead of the keyword

I'm fairly certain MaRo has stated that Orchard Spirit breaks the color pie. He has strong opinions but he actually does tend to be internally consistent.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

He actually dislikes Birchlore Rangers and its ilk to be fair

Bread Set Jettison posted:

And cards like Bonds of Faith were why INNx3 was so fun. There was so many lines of play with relatively straightforward cards. Yeah it was removal 90% of the time, but that one time you put it on an invisible stalker to win the game was the best.

gently caress invisible stalker with a rusty nail though

especially with butcher's cleaver

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bonds of Faith was actually a pretty cool card because it made this interesting little sub game if it was your only removal against Werewolves.

Cleaver on to Stalker really wasn't that bad because Stalker was a dude who absolutely had to be suited up otherwise he was way too slow of a clock. Cleaver on to Doomed Traveler, now that was gas. Doomed Traveler was always good and if you had a Butcher's Cleaver he was double the value!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

Bonds of Faith was actually a pretty cool card because it made this interesting little sub game if it was your only removal against Werewolves.

Cleaver on to Stalker really wasn't that bad because Stalker was a dude who absolutely had to be suited up otherwise he was way too slow of a clock. Cleaver on to Doomed Traveler, now that was gas. Doomed Traveler was always good and if you had a Butcher's Cleaver he was double the value!

Cleaver/Stalker was the worst interaction in the format because you would just lose some games without even feeling like you had a chance.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Actually maybe you should have drafted your own Invisible Stalker and Sever the Bloodline to play around it.

Also Tribute to Hunger was a thing. It was rare to have a board full of dudes and a suited up Invisible Stalker facing you down.

edit: Rolling Temblor, Blasphemous Act.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

so for answers we have: red uncommon, red rare, black uncommon(assuming they had nothing else).

Maybe my perception was colored by the multiple times I played against turn 2 stalker turn 3 cleaver and was just drawing dead at that point.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You're unironically citing card rarity in the answers and then straight faced citing a much lower probability situation to be in.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Terrible Horse posted:

There are definitely INNx3 cubes, you have to curate it a bit though (1x every rare, 3x every common or whatever)

I have one of these that we break out whenever we want something different from our usual cube. I currently have 1x rares/mythics, 2x uncommons and 4x commons of the set exactly as printed. We keep them separated by rarity, shuffle them up and sort them into packs and toss in a random DFC (which I keep in clear sleeves so they're as visible during the draft as they are in a real draft). This has served well enough, but I doubt it's ideal. I've thought about cutting mythics entirely (since as it is they show up more often than they would in a real draft), adding more of the uncommons that certain popular archetypes absolutely require, and/or tossing in a few DKA cards to bring BW up to par with some of the other combinations. Oh, right, and cutting down on Invisible Stalkers because one dude always ends up with both of them every time...

But it's not too pricy to get together (if you already have any of the cards you'd particularly want to still have from ISD, the rest costs less than the sleeves it goes in), and even a less-than-optimized triple ISD draft is a lot smoother and more fun than most sets in my opinion.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

You're unironically citing card rarity in the answers and then straight faced citing a much lower probability situation to be in.

I mean, you're at least partially right. This wasn't some sort of huge, format-killing issue and was probably less common than my memory insists it was. It was, however, a very frustrating situation when it came up.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

so for answers we have: red uncommon, red rare, black uncommon(assuming they had nothing else).

Maybe my perception was colored by the multiple times I played against turn 2 stalker turn 3 cleaver and was just drawing dead at that point.

are we really pretending that like there wasn't common removal in every color that deal with a t2 stalker, turn 3 cleaver, turn 4 suit him up?

silent departure
claustrophobia
dead weight
tragic slip
victim of night
geistflame
prey upon
smite the monstrous

like those are all commons off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more, those are just what I remember from playing the game back then. Granted smite only hits him once he's suited up (maximum tempo play anyways) and silent departure is sub-optimal as a defensive spell but there's other ways to deal with him too, like the various shatter/naturalize effects (ancient grudge and I think actually just naturalize, right?), and then there are uncommons and rares

he was a top line play with cleaver but he wasn't unbeatable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You're Boy the Human Rogue is hexproof.

edit: But requiring uncommon removal for a line of play that requires a pair of uncommons on a perfect curve isn't that unreasonable. I am sure I had more misers Rolling Temblors than I saw Invisible Stalkers Cleavered up on t4. Also there was even stupid poo poo like Frightful Delusion or w/e, I think basically every color combination could deal with this in some reasonable way.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 10, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
ooooh shiiiittttt.

I forgot about that. I haven't drafted teh set since DKA first launched, I just remember all the removal

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I don't understand why people complain about Bogles just Doom Blade it idiot.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Invisible Stalker and Butcher Cleaver was loving awful to play against. People pretending that the 3 answers in the format were enough are delusional.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

suicidesteve posted:

I don't understand why people complain about Bogles just Doom Blade it idiot.

Not a good card, it dies to removal.

Like in one local draft of INNx3 a while back, where I had a sweet R/B deck with a ton of removal and good creatures and was 2-0 going into the finals. Got paired down somehow (Think it was a 9 man pod or something).
Game 1:
Him: Turn 2 Stalker, Turn 3 Equipment.
Me: Hand full of removal and good creatures, cant race when he just plays (relatively to what I have) bad creatures and just chump blocks to victory.
Game 2:
Him: Turn 3 Stalker, Turn 4 Equipment.
Me: How many of those do you have??
Him: One each. The rest of my deck is bad.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

STiL. posted:

Invisible Stalker and Butcher Cleaver was loving awful to play against. People pretending that the 3 answers in the format were enough are delusional.

Same thing with Drana. Good luck having an answer to this unbeatable card.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

logis posted:

Not a good card, it dies to removal.

Like in one local draft of INNx3 a while back, where I had a sweet R/B deck with a ton of removal and good creatures and was 2-0 going into the finals. Got paired down somehow (Think it was a 9 man pod or something).
Game 1:
Him: Turn 2 Stalker, Turn 3 Equipment.
Me: Hand full of removal and good creatures, cant race when he just plays (relatively to what I have) bad creatures and just chump blocks to victory.
Game 2:
Him: Turn 3 Stalker, Turn 4 Equipment.
Me: How many of those do you have??
Him: One each. The rest of my deck is bad.

One time I was playing beer pong and two friends got mad at each other and one slapped the other one straight across the face, knocking his glasses off which flew perfectly into his outstretched hand and it defused the situation and everyone laughed. Sound unlikely? You'd be surprised but this actually happens 100% of the time in the story.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sigma-X posted:

are we really pretending that like there wasn't common removal in every color that deal with a t2 stalker, turn 3 cleaver, turn 4 suit him up?

silent departure
claustrophobia
dead weight
tragic slip
victim of night
geistflame
prey upon
smite the monstrous

like those are all commons off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more, those are just what I remember from playing the game back then. Granted smite only hits him once he's suited up (maximum tempo play anyways) and silent departure is sub-optimal as a defensive spell but there's other ways to deal with him too, like the various shatter/naturalize effects (ancient grudge and I think actually just naturalize, right?), and then there are uncommons and rares

The reason he is good is because he has hexproof

AlternateNu posted:

I've been out of the loop for the last couple weeks outside of catching peaks of the PT last weekend.

Can someone tell me why Archangel of Thune is $23 mid, now?

Also, I like how flip Jace is floating at $80 mid. :v:

Because Archangel of Thune and Spike Feeder is infinite life.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 11, 2016

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

silent departure
claustrophobia
dead weight
tragic slip
victim of night
geistflame
prey upon
smite the monstrous

ugh I hate you

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I actually prefer a long list of removal that doesn't hit the hexproof guy to "One time I was at a traffic light and an Invisible Stalker STOLE THE WHEELS OFF MY CAR" urban legends

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Based on the fantastic baseless/joking speculation for the new set and how the thread's ideas seemed too fun to actually see print in any real set, I have made a Thing for people to shove in their custom cubes or whatever. :)

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Haha I like that ult

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar in the Battlefield Forge with the Captain's Claws.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

kas posted:

Based on the fantastic baseless/joking speculation for the new set and how the thread's ideas seemed too fun to actually see print in any real set, I have made a Thing for people to shove in their custom cubes or whatever. :)

I almost spit my coffee out at that jace art lmao

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

So I threw together the U/W bounce n blink deck from MTG Goldfish last night. I absolutely love it so far - Eldrazi Displacer + Thought-Knot is super gross, and the Reflector Mage synergy is pretty sweet as well. It's not too hot against token based strategies or decks without a lot of creatures, but there's enough control pieces in the sideboard that it's not too hard to re-work the deck to accommodate that.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

rabidsquid posted:

I actually prefer a long list of removal that doesn't hit the hexproof guy to "One time I was at a traffic light and an Invisible Stalker STOLE THE WHEELS OFF MY CAR" urban legends

Invisible stalker + cleaver/silver-inlaid dagger loving sucked dude. There were common removal spells in ROE that could kill drana, induce despair, heat ray, flame slash, and all of those are just at common. Oust might give you enough time to win against her. Corpsehatch, another solid removal at uncommon. Even regress could buy you time.

This isn't an "urban legend." I've fought against both situations and won against Drana more often than the stalker.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Invisible Stalker: more powerful in limited than Drana.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

You can always just side in artifact removal game 2 and then they have a boring 1/1.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They also spend turns 2 and 3 doing actual nothing while curving out perfectly, although they do get to smash for 4 lifelink on turn 4 with 1 extra mana left over maybe!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
someone still loves you invisible stalker

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

rabidsquid posted:

They also spend turns 2 and 3 doing actual nothing while curving out perfectly, although they do get to smash for 4 lifelink on turn 4 with 1 extra mana left over maybe!

Guy who never had his lunch money stolen by invis stalker spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

Invisible Stalker: more powerful in limited than Drana.

More than one thing can be bad hth.

• Locked thread