Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I'm glad we agree about the ending to Life Is Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I'm objectively interpreting your posts as "pretty awful" right now

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it's always sad when a thread comes down with a case of the lt. danger, imo

in the end the only thing i care about, is this is yet another story that ends were the 'morally correct' thing to do is for women to sacrifice their personal happiness with a bonus helping of the queer girl dies.
i appreciate we at least have the option of not choosing to make that sacrifice, even if it still comes at the cost of several other people's lives and arcadia bay, metaphorically if not literally
it's not bad enough to turn me off of the game completely, but it's always going to leave a foul taste in my mouth and it'll keep me from recommending it to friends. "oh, it's another story where people like you or me can only attempt happiness at extreme and devastating cost to everyone else."

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

AriadneThread posted:

in the end the only thing i care about, is this is yet another story that ends were the 'morally correct' thing to do is for women to sacrifice their personal happiness with a bonus helping of the queer girl dies.
i appreciate we at least have the option of not choosing to make that sacrifice, even if it still comes at the cost of several other people's lives and arcadia bay, metaphorically if not literally
it's not bad enough to turn me off of the game completely, but it's always going to leave a foul taste in my mouth and it'll keep me from recommending it to friends. "oh, it's another story where people like you or me can only attempt happiness at extreme and devastating cost to everyone else."

The morally correct end is the one where you meet your actual responsibilities head on, seize control of your destiny, stop letting your decisions be dictated by other people's bullshit "arguments" and events that aren't your fault, and realize that not every problem in the world is your problem, allowing you to focus on the things that actually are.

Chloe is your friend. She trusted you, and you betrayed that trust. Saving her life was the first genuinely good decision you have made in quite a while. It is time to start living with the consequences of your actions and to start looking forward and moving on, instead of fleeing, yet again, to some alternate reality where things suck for her but you get to feel better about yourself.

Because the people of Arcadia Bay? The people you've come to know and influence? The ones who would be possibly killed by the storm?

They are dead either way, whether by Tornado or by you changing the past and wiping them from existence. This isn't about them. The choice is whether or not you want to create a new reality, with new people, where you can feel morally righteous over your crippling inaction despite having failed your friend yet again, while she pays the price.

The ending where Chloe dies is the bad end. The morally correct one is the other ending, where she lives.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 9, 2016

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

AriadneThread posted:

Rude.

GlyphGryph posted:

The morally correct end is the one where you meet your actual responsibilities head on, seize control of your destiny, stop letting your decisions be dictated by other people's bullshit "arguments" and events outside your control, and realize that not every problem in the world is your problem, allowing you to focus on the things that actually are.

Chloe is your friend. She trusted you, and you betrayed that trust. Saving her life was the first genuinely good decision you have made in quite a while. It is time to start living with the consequences of your actions and to start looking forward and moving on, instead of fleeing, yet again, to some alternate reality where things suck for her but you get to feel better about yourself.

Because the people of Arcadia Bay? The people you've come to know and influence? The ones who would be possibly killed by the storm?

They are dead either way, whether by Tornado or by you changing the past and wiping them from existence. This isn't about them. The choice is whether or not you want to create a new reality, with new people, where you can feel morally righteous over your crippling inaction despite having failed your friend yet again, while she pays the price.

The ending where Chloe dies is the bad end. The morally correct one is the other ending, where she lives.

Agreed.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

see, i don't disagree with what you're saying glyphgryph, but you're not arguing against what i was actually saying

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

AriadneThread posted:

see, i don't disagree with what you're saying glyphgryph, but you're not arguing against what i was actually saying

I was only arguing against your "morally correct" bit, not the overall point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The people of Arcadia Bay are all terrible anyway, if there was a second season of life is strange, max would probably find a sex slavery dungeon under every single person's house

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

The people of Arcadia Bay are all terrible anyway, if there was a second season of life is strange, max would probably find a sex slavery dungeon under every single person's house

how quickly we forget the guy at the bus stop who totally had the winning lottery ticket

e: new thought: use photo jumping powers to commit lottery fruad

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

in the life is strange universe, lottery ticket winner uses his earnings to buy up the patents to life-saving medicines and jacks up the price of them by thousands of percentage

and he donates to joel osteen

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

how quickly we forget the guy at the bus stop who totally had the winning lottery ticket

e: new thought: use photo jumping powers to commit lottery fruad

perhaps the game's ending is max's supervillain backstory. she is no longer Super Max. she is...

gently caress what was that goofy screenname she used according to david's files

Lt. Danger posted:

Right, but that's not correct. Trying is what makes Max grow as a person. The Max who just sits there and has something terrible happen next to her is objectively worse off than the Max who tries and grows as (into) a person, even if they both end up experiencing the same events.

The game doesn't strongly convince me that her growth as a person is necessary or beneficial to anyone. At least Scrooge bought someone a dang turkey after his supernatural awakening. I believe more in results than intent. People do lots of lovely things because they believe them, so the game just going "it's how it has to be" makes me want to go "gently caress you Warren/ghost of maxes past/dad i don't bow to the man".

ah well, at least max and chloe got one last pirate adventure together. too bad the booty was rotting in a shallow grave

Lt. Danger posted:

Chloe, the storm and the (perfectly natural non-spirit) butterfly are all one.

I'm just big on taking ownership of our responses to art.

The perfectly natural non-spirit butterfly, who Max says is like a spirit like 15 minutes after a magical deer guides her through a prophetic vision and 20 minutes before someone says "hey did you know spirit animals are real".

You seem to view this more from an art criticism angle, while I'm interested in storytelling. There are plenty of "spose'da" type rules in storytelling, though they are certainly not set in stone. I think people are too quick to shout "death of the author" because talking about author intent, especially in The Era of Social Media is pretty interesting to me and how well the author maintains the illusion is a part of storytelling in my opinion.

I loved the game when it felt real, like dealing with bullying, mental illness, and lovely healthcare. The game wasn't always perfect (WELL IF IT ISN'T THE SELFIE HO OF BLACKWELL), but I could usually brush that aside. Suddenly everyone is screaming directly at me to save their dumb rear end with a "nyuk nyuk bottles" thrown in. I'd personally rather read more letters about the Prescotts loving the town and Rachel loving the drug dealer.

There are strangely beautiful bits about the current ending though, like Chloe and Nathan being assholes whose support systems failed them so now they're loving up their lives via intertwining bad decisions. It's tragic in a real way.

The ending is what it is, and I am realizing I can barely remember it. I suppose I'll shut up now, since it's not THAT bad, and I almost attributed something from Oxenfree as occurring in this game.

p.s. does jefferson listen to right wing talk radio or does max just think rush limbaugh is suitable background noise for pain and suffering

p.p.s. Firewatch is out and it's a dialogue-choose'em-up and it looks pretty

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

AriadneThread posted:

I have seen a lot of people bring up the tragic gay romance angle. I don't read enough fiction or watch enough movies/tv shows to comment intelligently but honestly I was just happy as gently caress that we got the story we did. I got to play as a female main character who is discovering her sexuality and rekindling an old freindship. Yeah dark stuff happens but the core of the story is really the friendship between Chloe and Max. That's so outside the norm for videogames and I loved it.

I also don't see it as Max losing her happiness in the Kill Chloe ending, she loses her Love/Friendship with Chloe but is a better person and presumably will be happy in the future. She is smiling at the end after all.

GlyphGryph posted:

The morally correct end is the one where you meet your actual responsibilities head on, seize control of your destiny, stop letting your decisions be dictated by other people's bullshit "arguments" and events that aren't your fault, and realize that not every problem in the world is your problem, allowing you to focus on the things that actually are.

This is cool because its the opposite take I had on the "morally correct" ending. I see the saving Chloe ending as Max not growing up. She selfishly saves Chloe and the tornado kills the poo poo out of everyone in Arcadia Bay.

I guess the sticking point is whether the other realities exist or not. For me personally the only Timeline the matters is the "main" one. Max hosed it up by rewinding the first time and if she goes back and "fixes" it by letting Chloe get killed then it fixes this "main" timeline.

I don't subscribe completely to the alternative timelines being "real" because its not 100% explained in the game and I feel like it doesn't make sense in the story. Is a new timeline created every time Max rewinds? Is there literally hundreds of realities Chloe got hit by the bullet in the junkyard and bled out? Chloe mentions that the other timelines are "real" but I took that as being a way of saying "the time we spent together was real" even if its only in Max's memories.

One thing this thread has done well is make me consider way more sides than I originally did. I was super against the Save Chloe ending when I first finished the game but your post above and the other posts in this thread make a really good case for it. I lean more towards Max actually making the Save Chloe ending, especially in the heat of the moment.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

LoseHound posted:

p.p.s. Firewatch is out and it's a dialogue-choose'em-up and it looks pretty

This looks pretty good. Its waiting for me when I get home tonight. Excited!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Two things:

- The Sacrifice Chloe ending makes no sense from a narrative standpoint, because neither Max nor Chloe have any reason to believe that letting Chloe die stops the storm. Hell, in the San Francisco alternate timeline, Max manages to undo everything even further back than the bathroom incident, and the storm STILL happens. You can argue that the very act of reversing time is what causes the storm, but that falls apart when you consider that the butterfly photo Max uses to go back was taken (for the second, and real time) AFTER she's already used the power twice in class. The only reason that the player is convinced that it will work is in how the choice is presented: either Chloe dies, or Arcadia Bay does. It's not supported within the story's own narrative infrastructure, it only works because It Has To.

- Unrelated, but: I think a lot of people who criticize the dialogue in this game have a rose-tinted view of how cool they and their peers sounded in High School. Sure, I bet you THOUGHT you were hot like butter on your breakfast toast, but there was a reason why the seniors hated you when you were a freshman and why you hated freshmen when you were a senior. Fact is, high school kids try really hard to sound clever and cool and usually sound ridiculous to anyone over the age of 20. In fact, if anything, lines like "go gently caress your selfie" are TOO clever to be coming out of a high school student.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Plom Bar posted:

Two things:

- The Sacrifice Chloe ending makes no sense from a narrative standpoint, because neither Max nor Chloe have any reason to believe that letting Chloe die stops the storm. Hell, in the San Francisco alternate timeline, Max manages to undo everything even further back than the bathroom incident, and the storm STILL happens. You can argue that the very act of reversing time is what causes the storm, but that falls apart when you consider that the butterfly photo Max uses to go back was taken (for the second, and real time) AFTER she's already used the power twice in class. The only reason that the player is convinced that it will work is in how the choice is presented: either Chloe dies, or Arcadia Bay does. It's not supported within the story's own narrative infrastructure, it only works because It Has To.

- Unrelated, but: I think a lot of people who criticize the dialogue in this game have a rose-tinted view of how cool they and their peers sounded in High School. Sure, I bet you THOUGHT you were hot like butter on your breakfast toast, but there was a reason why the seniors hated you when you were a freshman and why you hated freshmen when you were a senior. Fact is, high school kids try really hard to sound clever and cool and usually sound ridiculous to anyone over the age of 20. In fact, if anything, lines like "go gently caress your selfie" are TOO clever to be coming out of a high school student.

I disagree with your first point. Max says she thinks she caused the storm at one point and and any time fuckery she does always makes things worse. In the San Fran timelines she still alters the course of time which causes the tornado. I think she even specifically states this when she gets the messages from Chloe? And she still takes the "original" butterfly photo before she starts using powers. The only unexplained part there is why she dreams of the tornado, but I don't think stuff like that warrants explaining sometimes. I feel like the game would be lame if something happened like Deer God appears and says to Max "It was I who summoned the tornado! I need to teach you a lesson about being proud of your art!" Just leave some stuff ambiguous. Then people can make up their own minds!

The tornado in game was actually caused by all the Tumblr fanart in the real world. The universe can only take so much bad fanfiction

Regardless of the above both Chloe and Max know the storm is caused by saving Chloe in the bathroom and the choice is based on that knowledge.

On your unrelated point as an Australian the teen dialogue sounds ok to me because it was way way way different when I was younger. It may as well be another world to me.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Robiben posted:

And she still takes the "original" butterfly photo before she starts using powers.

True, but she doesn't have it with her when she takes it a second time. The game even makes note of this being the second time it happens. The only way this works is if there are two butterfly photos (which could work because of the time-inventory thing) and Chloe just happened to grab the first of them and neither she nor Max notice that Max has two photos.

And I poke holes because there are holes to be poked. I understand what the game was trying to accomplish, and among the many reasons I reject that ending is because it does not consistently follow the rules set out by the story.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Plom Bar posted:

True, but she doesn't have it with her when she takes it a second time. The game even makes note of this being the second time it happens. The only way this works is if there are two butterfly photos (which could work because of the time-inventory thing) and Chloe just happened to grab the first of them and neither she nor Max notice that Max has two photos.

And I poke holes because there are holes to be poked. I understand what the game was trying to accomplish, and among the many reasons I reject that ending is because it does not consistently follow the rules set out by the story.

Hey poke away! Nothing is ever perfect and it leads to more discussion!

After thinking more the whole first jump is a bit of an issue. Max does rewind before she takes the "important" photo. So if she fixes things from that point a rewind has already happened. Is that rewind ok because Max didn't physically gently caress with time? The universe seems happy with her keeping her memories of stuff but I guess stopping the bullet is where the gods say "Hey wait a god drat minute!".

I'm still happy with the Time Travel being a bit loosey goosey because overall the story still worked for me. And as I have mentioned before, Time Travel is tricky! Maybe they patch it up in Season 2? I'd still prefer if they went light on the explaining though.

I'd also prefer if they kept away from the characters of Season 1. Make it self contained with new characters, don't try to milk the good characters they already used.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
So I name all my video game consoles and I have a dilemma. My PS3 was already called "Max" after Peter Falk's character from The Great Race (because it's a newer model with actual power buttons), so naming the PS4 "Chloe" only fit. I kind of want to customize it somehow to reflect it's new "Chloeness," but I'm a 30-year-old man and I'm worried the rest of the male gender will collectively disown me if they catch me putting butterfly stickers on poo poo.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 10, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Robiben posted:

After thinking more the whole first jump is a bit of an issue. Max does rewind before she takes the "important" photo. So if she fixes things from that point a rewind has already happened. Is that rewind ok because Max didn't physically gently caress with time? The universe seems happy with her keeping her memories of stuff but I guess stopping the bullet is where the gods say "Hey wait a god drat minute!".

And the problem with THAT is that in the alternate timeline created at the end of Episode 3, we still see beached whales and dead wildlife, and I believe Chloe mentions the snow and eclipse also still happening, even when there's no bullet to stop.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Nameless Pete posted:

So I name all my video game consoles and I have a dilemma. My PS3 was already called Max after Peter Falk's character from The Great Race (because it's a newer model with actual power buttons), so naming the PS4 Chloe only fit. I kind of want to customize it somehow to reflect it's new "Chloeness," but I'm a 30-year-old man and I'm worried the rest of the male gender will collectively disown me if they catch me putting butterfly stickers on poo poo.

Just loving do it man! As a slightly older dude, my steam profile is totally decked out in LIS stuff and its the best. And it seems you can buy LIS avatars for your PS4 as well. Weirdly some of them use the term "Pricefield" which I thought was a fanfiction term that I saw slung around on Reddit. Guess the devs know their audience!

Plom Bar posted:

And the problem with THAT is that in the alternate timeline created at the end of Episode 3, we still see beached whales and dead wildlife, and I believe Chloe mentions the snow and eclipse also still happening, even when there's no bullet to stop.

While this is true, its still a good indicator of "poo poo is still hosed" even besides the fact that Chloe has no legs. Puts some urgency into that section. And narratively the whole point is that ONE moment in the bathroom loving it all up. Even in other timelines!

And if the crippled Chloe alternate timeline does still exsist somehow at least my Chloe will sleep through it. And also sleep forever :(

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Nameless Pete posted:

So I name all my video game consoles and I have a dilemma. My PS3 was already called "Max" after Peter Falk's character from The Great Race (because it's a newer model with actual power buttons), so naming the PS4 "Chloe" only fit. I kind of want to customize it somehow to reflect it's new "Chloeness," but I'm a 30-year-old man and I'm worried the rest of the male gender will collectively disown me if they catch me putting butterfly stickers on poo poo.

My computer and my phone have already succumbed to varying amounts of Chloeness. Don't worry about it too much, the ship's hit the iceberg but more than a few of us will be going down with it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nameless Pete posted:

recognize the bullshit of the patriarchy shaming you for your interest in console customization and punk rock that PS4 the gently caress out

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Quest For Glory II posted:

recognize the bullshit of the patriarchy shaming you for your interest in console customization and punk rock that PS4 the gently caress out

That's the funny thing about LIS, as a dude who do you have to admire? The Drug Dealer, The Domestic Abuser or The Lonley Nerd?

David was awesome. Felt really bad for him.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Robiben posted:

That's the funny thing about LIS, as a dude who do you have to admire? The Drug Dealer, The Domestic Abuser or The Lonley Nerd?

Excuse me, I'll have you know that I'm clearly The Ineffectual Drunk.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

LoseHound posted:

The perfectly natural non-spirit butterfly, who Max says is like a spirit like 15 minutes after a magical deer guides her through a prophetic vision and 20 minutes before someone says "hey did you know spirit animals are real".

Huh, I don't remember this. I thought only the doe was explicitly a spirit animal because of the transparency and not appearing in photos. Maybe it's a dialogue with Samuel I missed or something.

I feel like "storytelling analysis" is art criticism with presets, in the same way that art critics once critiqued paintings on how realistic they were. If it's a tool that suits you, cool, but I think sometimes those tools can get in the way of the art. Maybe that's just me, though, and the things I want from stories.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

I never hated the dialogue as much as some people, but some of Victoria's insults fall flat. "Selfie ho" is not a phrase I can imagine anyone saying unironically, and clowning on a girl for being called out in class by saying "Now you're totally stuck in the retro zone!" was straight up surreal to me. What does that even mean.

Sidenote: One of my favorite lines in episode 1 happens just before Max puts in her earbuds, it's something like "She's so loving shy she takes selfies with a giant camera". It's weird that Max takes a selfie in a small classroom of 10 people with the teacher looking right at her with a loud rear end camera with flash and then acts like "oh no how could i have possibly foreseen this". Girl you have a cellphone. That poo poo was made for the boredom selfie and doesn't take expensive film.

Lt. Danger posted:

Huh, I don't remember this. I thought only the doe was explicitly a spirit animal because of the transparency and not appearing in photos. Maybe it's a dialogue with Samuel I missed or something.

I feel like "storytelling analysis" is art criticism with presets, in the same way that art critics once critiqued paintings on how realistic they were. If it's a tool that suits you, cool, but I think sometimes those tools can get in the way of the art. Maybe that's just me, though, and the things I want from stories.

If you look at the butterfly, Max straight up says it's like a spirit, and the only things Samuel ever really did were say "rachel is prisms" and "spirit animals are real and i'm a crossdresser who likes a mouthful of nuts". I might be paraphrasing.

I think we just come very different perspectives. I have always been interested in storytelling and television writing, and this is a game that presents itself as a television mystery series stylistically. I'm not calling this game impressionist garbage because the only way is the Old Masters' way, but just a weird and contrived story that doesn't 100% work for me. Storytelling is an art, and there's a difference between "the figures are blobs because the artist is capturing light" and "the figures are blobs because the artist is bad".

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

HD versions of all the photo-time-travel shots: http://imgur.com/a/nZYbH These are great.

I particularly like:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

LoseHound posted:

Sidenote: One of my favorite lines in episode 1 happens just before Max puts in her earbuds, it's something like "She's so loving shy she takes selfies with a giant camera". It's weird that Max takes a selfie in a small classroom of 10 people with the teacher looking right at her with a loud rear end camera with flash and then acts like "oh no how could i have possibly foreseen this". Girl you have a cellphone. That poo poo was made for the boredom selfie and doesn't take expensive film.

counterpoint: Max is the exact kind of pretentious hipster that would hate digital photos. Like she probably has a digital camera that she only got because she has to have one for class and it's somewhere gathering dust.

She also is the exact time of person to get so caught up in doing something she doesn't really think about where she is. Like any of those photos she took while in the school,she just goes oh this will be a great photo and doesn't really think hmmm maybe I shouldn't have photographic evidence I was here

The game kind of beats you over the head with both these points

Rosalind posted:

HD versions of all the photo-time-travel shots: http://imgur.com/a/nZYbH These are great.

Was looking for a new desktop background, thanks

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Robiben posted:

The Cool Art Teacher :holymoley:

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Robiben posted:

:shittypop: wow I just realised this. The skateboard guy who hooks up with the Dana I guess? I don't even remember his name!

Ahahah this must be how women feel playing bideo james all the time holy poo poo.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Evfedu posted:

Ahahah this must be how women feel playing bideo james all the time holy poo poo.

Best part about this game that I think we forget sometimes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The quarterback is probably cool, they don't give max a swirlie and treat her like a normal human being

in the Life is Strange universe however he probably kills students and buries them in the school's football field

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Can't forget the one black student:

First conversation: "I like to party and get stoned"
Second, and last conversation: "I am at a party and stoned"

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

LoseHound posted:

Sidenote: One of my favorite lines in episode 1 happens just before Max puts in her earbuds, it's something like "She's so loving shy she takes selfies with a giant camera"

It's even better than that. The dude can't even finish his sentence. The line is "She's so loving shy, *DROWNED OUT BY EARBUDS*"

ETA: We're all forgetting Douchebag in Infinity Scarf as well.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Don't forget about Alcoholic Principal, Trucker With lovely Opinions, and On-The-Take Police Officer.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

The game kind of beats you over the head with both these points

counterpoint: I am the spaciest motherfucker and I think she's comically unaware. "wow i just had a vivid nightmare where i nearly died. im bored. selfie time!!!!" I get why it happens, I just think it's funny.

SirKibbles posted:

Best part about this game that I think we forget sometimes

Welcome to the Dark Maze of Patriarchy, where the Male Gaze literally kills you.

LoseHound fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 11, 2016

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

LoseHound posted:

If you look at the butterfly, Max straight up says it's like a spirit, and the only things Samuel ever really did were say "rachel is prisms" and "spirit animals are real and i'm a crossdresser who likes a mouthful of nuts". I might be paraphrasing.

I think I read that as simile (the butterfly is fragile and beautiful, like a spirit) rather than identification. More like Kate's rabbit/the owl/the squirrels than anything else.

Also, I agree Samuel is poorly written. People with learning difficulties don't sound like that, and his mystic knowledge doesn't really come across at all.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i played this game for the first time and i thought it was good, except everything was really low res on the high setting and i felt they probably could have bumped up the texture resolution a bit for PC, but whatever

i chose the arcadia bay ending because i figured the act of changing time itself can't really be undone since the knowledge of that week and all the hosed up stuff, as well as the continual conscious timestream max experiences timehopping all over the place, is always gonna be there therefore the tornado is gonna come no matter what. boy wouldn't that be great, sacrificing your friend only to have the tornado come anyway. rip entire town population i guess

i take it they're not gonna explain how max managed to get time travelling powers in the first place (unless the spirit butterfly thing gave it to her?), but i don't really mind

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 11, 2016

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Finally got around to ordering my disc copy of the game for PS4 to go with my Steam download. I'm actually going to play it again when it arrives and i never replay games. As in, never.

For some reason i'm really looking forward to the bit at the very beginning when you walk out into the hallway from the classroom in the opening scene and "For All of You" starts playing. That was the moment that made me stop (as in, pause the game) and think "wow, this game is something way loving different from anything else i've played in over two decades of gaming". I got goosebumps and everything and i knew absolutely nothing about the game going into it and i expected it to be a derivative spin on the Telltale games.

Parts of the game still pop into my head from time to time and i have played thousands of games at this stage in my life yet this is the only one that this happens with. I genuinely don't think people realize yet how much of an impact LiS will have on the way stories are told in games in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

spudsbuckley posted:

I genuinely don't think people realize yet how much of an impact LiS will have on the way stories are told in games in the future.

Worse endings?

• Locked thread