Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I don't know why. The grem and gnevy both suffer from near ijn turret traverse penalties. Unless you like out turning your turrets. The good news on the rus dd side is that turret traverse speeds pick up tier by tier after the gnevy.

Hearing they have a larger gun firing detection penalty explains my inability to stay stealthed while still in range of my guns. Does the blys suffer the same as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
For some reason, every time I get sorted onto Land of Fire the game just crashes on load. No other map does that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The gremyaschy is tougher than a USN or IJN DD up to 2 tiers higher and it hits harder than both of them. As long as you compensate for the poo poo turret rotation, it will beat any other DD at its tier. If you suck poo poo at Russian DDs though it will be a bad ship.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 10, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

The gremyaschy is tougher than a USN or IJN DD up to 2 tiers higher and it hits harder than both of them. As long as you compensate for the poo poo turret rotation, it will beat any other DD at its tier. If you suck poo poo at Russian DDs though it will be a bad ship.

You will be out-DPS'd by US DDs and their superior reload times. Avoid a close range engagement, though this is self-explanatory. Your superior ballistics make fights at 7km favorable, but closer than that (and especially if the US DD captain is good) and you'll be in precarious situation, especially as closer ranges necessitate more turret turning, the Grem's weak point.

Note the BB and CV matchup. Midway Shoukaku vs Hakyuru (div teammate) Shoukaku. BBs... one Amagi vs a Yamato/Montana division (also divisioned with their Midway).

Torped the Midway at 18km after he took a strike from our own CVs. Barely won on points after killing a Mikhail at the last second.

Having a competent CV on your team assisting the destroyers in avoiding detection works wonders. You nerds need to get on (when I'm on which is ERRATIC AS gently caress) otherwise you force me to queue with other nerds who don't make as many goony jokes.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 10, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Even long range requires more turret turning than the Gnevny/Grem can handle, because you'll get proper hosed by just about anything if you sail in the kind of straight lines you need to maximise the paper potential of the guns.

The Grem can at least pretend to be a Minekaze that can shoot its way out of some trouble if the torpedo trick goes wrong, Gnevny relies entirely on the opposition inexplicably not shooting at you.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 10, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to install the game to my desktop but it keeps freezing at "creating directories". I've tried a new download and checked to make sure there weren't any programs running that were CPU or memory hogs.

Edit: Nevermind. There was an install prompt that I thought was mandatory but that wasn't. That was what was causing the problem.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 10, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Wait are they seriously going to put the goddamned Habbakuk into the game?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Rumor has it it'll be a part of a special event game mode.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Im curious about destroyer AP shells, when do you use them in general? All i know so far is in Russian DDs i use AP on Omahas, but what about the furutaka, aoba, and the konigsberg/nurnberg ships?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

You can use it on basically any cruiser if you're close enough to get good belt hits at a good angle. Maybe not the cleveland but probably everything else. (I don't know anything about german cruisers but they're probably paper armored)

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Fizzil posted:

Im curious about destroyer AP shells, when do you use them in general? All i know so far is in Russian DDs i use AP on Omahas, but what about the furutaka, aoba, and the konigsberg/nurnberg ships?

Yes, yes, yes and maybe.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

TehKeen posted:

You can use it on basically any cruiser if you're close enough to get good belt hits at a good angle. Maybe not the cleveland but probably everything else. (I don't know anything about german cruisers but they're probably paper armored)

You can use DD AP on clevelands for belt hits on a good angle. You have to aim behind their aft smokestack and in front of their fore smokestack.

I think Clevelands can chalk up their survivability to bad BB drivers trying to shoot their direct amidships and getting only overpens.

Konigsberg/Nurnberg you can definitely pen broadside, they have paper armor.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fizzil posted:

Destroyer AP can pen cruisers. Russian DD AP can punch through with potentially a poo poo angle, due to its better ballistics, as well as being a larger shell besides. All of the ships you listed though should have no problems being penned by destroyer AP, provided you're hitting them broadside, and if they do, just aim a little higher and hit the superstructure with AP.

Basically almost anything not a Cleveland or a St Louis should be able to be penned without too much trouble.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 10, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hey Tokyo, I was bummed to hear you were no longer running to be President of FIFA.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I should also mention that if you are trying to DD AP and you are under 7 or 8km with a cruiser going broadside that has decent aim, you will get proper hosed.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I ordered the WoT humble bundle but I don't see the free warship in the game. Has anyone else had this problem?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Finally completed that loving 'set a bazillion ships on fire' part of the Myoukou mission. :feelsgood:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

6M pearls have been collected, better grab any treasure chests you can before Project R ends.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

RandomPauI posted:

I ordered the WoT humble bundle but I don't see the free warship in the game. Has anyone else had this problem?

Umm when did you do this?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I activated the code a few months back, but didn't play the game again until today after a haitus of a year or two.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there was a fiasco over the HB and the Murmansk.. jobs were lost at WG, tempers flared, the Russians have exacted swift revenge on the NA playerbase.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I finally got the Tashkent, while the stats don't look too great on paper, it is deceptively powerful. Range caps off at 13.9KM with AFT, and it has a base concealment of 75 which is one of the lowest for any destroyer (gets detected at 9.4 KM) but if you put the stealth mod (2 million credits) and camouflage you can bring that up to a tolerable 8.2 km. Its unfortunate the Kiev doesn't have that upgrade slot, but i assume thats what i'll be doing with the Udaloi and Khabarovsk which has 71 concealment (10 KM) :gonk:

Also i'm 2 skill points away from the 5th skill, whats a good skill setup for russian DDs? should i take concealment expert for the last skill?

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
So when does the Kamikaze hit ports?

EDIT: As soon as I posted this, there it is.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TSBX posted:

So when does the Kamikaze hit ports?

EDIT: As soon as I posted this, there it is.

I have't gotten mine yet

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

Yeah there was a fiasco over the HB and the Murmansk.. jobs were lost at WG, tempers flared, the Russians have exacted swift revenge on the NA playerbase.

Does that mean I won't get a ship?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Could just be that I have a level 16 captain in my Gremyaschy, but I can't envision a scenario where I'd rather play the Kamikaze R instead of it. In fact now seems like the perfect time to sink a lot of newbie DDs in the Gremy.

edit: holy lol after saying that I just killed both Kamikazes in my first game since they were given out, detonating one with a single HE salvo from the Gremy

mik fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 11, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

^ Who gets spotted in a Japanese DD close enough to get shot to death? They should be diving to 7km, firing torps on the turn and driving out again.

RandomPauI posted:

Does that mean I won't get a ship?

Probably, you really needed to put the code in as soon as you got it, why did you wait so long? The WGA community manager had the package put on humble bundle, the head office freaked and turned all the codes into "sorry, they count for beta only you lose the ship in the wipe" codes, at which point everyone jumped down their throat for bait and switch. After too long a period, the head office eventually relented and let people keep their ship, and the NA CM was fired for exceeding his remit, even though it was the NA management who were at fault for telling him he could do it without checking themselves first.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 11, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Since the game is Actually Out Now, is it about time for a new thread? A lot of the OP stuff seems outdated and/or struckthrough, and the discord/ts/ingamechannel/IRC all seem dead any time I check on them. Just started playing 2-3 days ago (When some tankgoons told me that the game was actually out and told me to get free money from Operation R) and I'm having a blast, but I feel like T3+ is when it would be good to platoon with some goons to actually have come vague semblance of competency, and, if nothing else, having the thread title update to get new people in (With help from the OP, preferably) would probably get us a population boost.

Also: Aparently your clan transfers across games? I tried to join SEAMN but it won't let me since I'm in a WoT clan and I refuse to leave Baby Stug.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

^ Who gets spotted in a Japanese DD close enough to get shot to death? They should be diving to 7km, firing torps on the turn and driving out again.

Probably, you really needed to put the code in as soon as you got it, why did you wait so long?

I redeemed the code immediately after buying the ship, but didn't actually reinstall the game until recently.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

And here we have the classic example of "why did we lose.."

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Archenteron posted:

Since the game is Actually Out Now, is it about time for a new thread? A lot of the OP stuff seems outdated and/or struckthrough, and the discord/ts/ingamechannel/IRC all seem dead any time I check on them. Just started playing 2-3 days ago (When some tankgoons told me that the game was actually out and told me to get free money from Operation R) and I'm having a blast, but I feel like T3+ is when it would be good to platoon with some goons to actually have come vague semblance of competency, and, if nothing else, having the thread title update to get new people in (With help from the OP, preferably) would probably get us a population boost.

Also: Aparently your clan transfers across games? I tried to join SEAMN but it won't let me since I'm in a WoT clan and I refuse to leave Baby Stug.

You can join SEAMN with your wargaming ID but clanning isn't integrated yet with WOWS.

Discord is the place to be, and has a bunch of us idling and also playing sometimes in the evening EST. the TS, in-game channel, and IRC are defunct.

Platooning with goons wins matches. If I squad with jcfalkenberg, wdarkk, hazdoc, demonr6, levarris, deutschnozzle, and the other goods that I haven't mentioned, my winrate improves by about 15-20%, and I'm at 58-60% usually.

Agreed though, time for a new OP.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

JuffoWup posted:

And here we have the classic example of "why did we lose.."
Your team died to Shimakaze/Fubuki torp spam? Looks like normal Tier 8~10 game to me.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Just bought the Kagero. Will probably take me a month or two at the rate I play to unlock the Shimakaze. The Kagero is pretty drat stealthy, but it looks like the Shima is a bit larger. So when we get the skills reset, im thinking Concealment Expert is probably a necessity. The faster torps skill sounds great, but 3 skill points and a good chunk of range for 5 extra knots of speed isnt starting to sound that worthwhile. Should have just given us more torpedo module options with varying range/speed/damage/reload etc.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Lakedaimon posted:

Just bought the Kagero. Will probably take me a month or two at the rate I play to unlock the Shimakaze. The Kagero is pretty drat stealthy, but it looks like the Shima is a bit larger. So when we get the skills reset, im thinking Concealment Expert is probably a necessity. The faster torps skill sounds great, but 3 skill points and a good chunk of range for 5 extra knots of speed isnt starting to sound that worthwhile. Should have just given us more torpedo module options with varying range/speed/damage/reload etc.

Just finished and sold the Kagero today. I hear it's better in the upcoming patch but I found it to be super boring. Long reloading torps and less ability to direct the enemy ships with the loss of a torpedo and only two launchers. Concealment is great for your team. Unfortunately when you get in that close and get spotted without smoke. You're in trouble. I almost prefer the Fubuki. I don't think you really need the 20km torps. So knocking them down to 15 for even more speed seems like an ok trade.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Eh those are what makes tier 8~10 games a bitch to play as battleship because you have to rely on your team to kill them fast :argh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

RandomPauI posted:

I redeemed the code immediately after buying the ship, but didn't actually reinstall the game until recently.

I don't know then. Could always try a long shot ticket with support

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lakedaimon posted:

Be aware, you literally CANNOT see targets outside of 16km with the Kagero/Shimakaze. Their acquisition range is just too short. Unless you're performing super long range snipes on CVs, the Torpedo Acceleration skill is most definitely going to be worth it on the Kagero/Shimakaze.

And yes, you want Concealment Expert. Not having it means Bensons and Fletchers will be able to sneak up on you, and Conceal Expert Fubukis and Kageros will see you before you see them. You can draw closer to get better torp runs (closer torps means tighter spread and less time for your target to change course!), shrinks your AA detection range too, the works. Never not get conceal expert on torpedo DDs.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Pacra posted:

You can join SEAMN with your wargaming ID but clanning isn't integrated yet with WOWS.

Discord is the place to be, and has a bunch of us idling and also playing sometimes in the evening EST. the TS, in-game channel, and IRC are defunct.

Platooning with goons wins matches. If I squad with jcfalkenberg, wdarkk, hazdoc, demonr6, levarris, deutschnozzle, and the other goods that I haven't mentioned, my winrate improves by about 15-20%, and I'm at 58-60% usually.

Agreed though, time for a new OP.

i havent played in awhile because work/school/XCOM2, but ill probably play again this weekend

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Hello again I have a new question: What the hell is up with Russian Destroyers?

e: Also I performed the Magic Donut Technique with the T3 German Cruiser instead of the Saint Louis (since it also has 12 guns well-spaced) and ended the match with 180 hits, 8 incaps, and 5 fires :getin:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Archenteron posted:

Wait are they seriously going to put the goddamned Habbakuk into the game?

:jeb::hf::getin: