Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Frogmanv2 posted:

I havent had a big mac in years, but keep projecting, it just helps solidify your case.

I mean, if you honestly think that eating and appetite isnt in part controlled by chemicals in your brain, there is honestly no point to this at all.

Not to mention other factors, such as stress, depression, possibly a work schedule that doesn't allow for healthy eating all the time.

I eat big macs and other rubbish food all the time. Guess my BMI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

Turns out that some members of the United Patriots Front are neo nazis

Does the Brunswick Liberation Front know?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Recoome posted:

Turns out that some members of the United Patriots Front are neo nazis

Say it aint so!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

quote:

We at the UPF are studying the Constitution so we are equipped to take on the corrupt politicians in Canberra which behave exactly the same way as you have now, that is with treachery.

Aha! It says nothing in this here document about any powers allowing for the house of representatives to appoint a prime minister head of government. Traitors, and usurpers of the white man's right to vote. Hang them all.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
See the difference between reading the Quaran and being a neo nazi is when you refer to "Mein Kampf" as the "White man's bible".

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Frogmanv2 posted:

there is honestly no point to Laserface at all.

Sorry I felt like I needed to fix your post, carry on.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.facebook.com/100009413836436/videos/1569286923395087/

I almost feel sorry for this guy.

"W..wa...wait a second, you guys are actual Nazis? I thought that was just leftists saying mean things!!"

EDIT: Oh wait hahaha he knew all along, he is just splitting now because he's losing control.

hooman fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 10, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Yeah don't, he's still a massive piece of poo poo. I just hope he burns as much to ground as he leaves.

Also lol, the one guy he still trusts has been charged with stalking a Rabbi.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

This is amazing :allears:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tim Wilson, the Human Rights Commissioner, will run for Robb’s safe seat of Goldstein.

I have huge respect for Wilson.

He is very smart, diplomatic and hard-working, and brave and articulate in the contest of ideas.

He is a libertarian rather than a conservative, and how badly we need people who believe in freedom.

Wilson, for instance, has been brilliant in the defence of free speech, when too many others were silent. He has fought for free markets and against the over-regulation that stifles creativity, initiative, investment and employment.

Even when we’ve differed - on legalising same-sex marriage, for instance - Wilson has been able to argue with the greatest civility, without giving or taking offence. He prefers ideas to combat, policy to posturing, deeds to words.

I like him a lot.

And, of course, now that he is leaving the Human Rights Commission the coast is clear to call for its complete abolition.

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

What is it with the type-II beetus and seeing magical faces on things? I thought this was strictly a :911: thing.

GoldStandardConure posted:

I eat big macs and other rubbish food all the time. Guess my BMI.

Can't manage to feed self using the intuition demonstrated in other primates - but expects WiFi and a driver's license.

Pudding Space fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 10, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Looks less like a child's face and more like an ape to me.

e:oh wow, no it's right near the base of the trunk. It looks like some creepy middle aged dude.

It's less magical and more, "oh wow, your evolved facial recognition abilities work? Incredible, you must never have taken a train, or been bored in your life."

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 10, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Frogmanv2 posted:

I havent had a big mac in years, but keep projecting, it just helps solidify your case.

I mean, if you honestly think that eating and appetite isnt in part controlled by chemicals in your brain, there is honestly no point to this at all.

We are clearly biological robots, and as such we should just accept racist, homophobic, and xenophobic members of our society as being slaves to their biological instincts.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Eating and apatite and choosing what to eat and drink are separate considerations.

There's a huge psychological component to eating poo poo, and it can be a cycle of bad choices for that temporary boost.

Exercise also satisfies biological urges. There's a great video Joe rogan has that does the rounds and Facebook talking about how fantastic you feel after exercising, and it's true.

Gyms are like Vegas, some people will say they aren't gym people but they are. Everyone is, you just have to get the taste.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

e:oh wow, no it's right near the base of the trunk. It looks like some creepy middle aged dude.

I thought it looked like one of Andrew Bolt's column headshots.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lol white people

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
my appetite for shitposting knows no bounds

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's a pro-multiculturalism sticker, right?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Birdstrike posted:

my appetite for shitposting knows no bounds

You've come to the right thread!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Tony Abbott and other Liberals took Rolexes they thought were fake

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/10/liberals-took-rolex-and-other-designer-watches-assuming-they-were-were-fake

quote:

A group of Liberal party MPs, including the former prime minister and then federal opposition leader Tony Abbott, are under scrutiny over $250,000 worth of designer watches they were given by a visiting billionaire from China almost three years ago – that were assumed to be fakes.
Among them is the embattled MP Stuart Robert, who was then the opposition’s defence, science, technology and personnel spokesman, and is now under intense political pressure over a controversial trip to China in 2014.
“Instant noodle billionaire” Li Ruipeng, the chair of the Li Guancheng Investment Management Group, gave Abbott, Robert and the then opposition industry spokesman, Ian Macfarlane, designer watches out of a plastic bag at an informal dinner at Parliament House in June 2013 as a goodwill gesture.

There were also watches for Abbott’s wife, Margie, and Robert’s wife, Chantelle, who were not present at the dinner – but not Abbott’s then chief of staff, Peta Credlin, who was.
(The then Queensland minister Rob Molhoek also received a Cartier Ballon Bleu bracelet watch, valued at $23,400, from Guancheng in 2013 – the most expensive gift received by any Newman government official in that financial year, and surrendered by Molhoek to the Ministerial Services Branch.)

Macfarlane, assuming his Rolex was a fake worth between $300 and $500, declared the gift with the clerk of the House of Representatives but kept it (“and wore it occasionally,” says the Herald Sun).
Macfarlane had the watch valued in Sydney after the September federal election, after the then Liberal candidate for Moore, Ian Goodenough, favourably compared it to his own, genuine Rolex.
Macfarlane was told his watch was worth about $40,000 – and his had obviously not been as expensive as those given to Abbott and Margie Abbott.

Though the clerk told him he was entitled to keep it, he returned it to Li Ruipeng’s company and alerted Liberal “fixer” Tony Nutt, who – the Australian Financial Review reports – ordered the immediate collection of the watches so that they could be returned.
Robert and Abbott complied – though a spokesman for Abbott denied it was on Nutt’s advice.

The spokesman told Guardian Australia that the two watches given to him were declared as well, though Abbott had also taken them to be fake. It wasn’t so much the gift, as the way it was given, he said.

“My understanding is that they were handed over in a plastic bag, as has been reported, and I think everybody was of the same view,” he said.
“They were declared in the normal way. As with most parliamentarians, it’s better to over declare than under declare but I believe Mr Abbott was of the understanding that they were fake, given the way that they were handed over, and, when it became apparent that they weren’t, they were handed over straight away.”

Asked by Guardian Australia whether Robert had, like Macfarlane, assumed at first the watch was a fake, a spokesman said there was “nothing to add to the story that’s not already out there” but confirmed that it had been returned.

Macfarlane’s office has been contacted for comment.

Less than a year later in August 2014, Robert, the then assistant defence minister, took what he says was a “personal” trip to Beijing with friend and Liberal Party donor Paul Marks to celebrate a mining deal.
He is now fighting to save his ministerial career as Labor accuses the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, of failing to enforce his own standards.
Phillip Coorey writes in the Australian Financial Review that Roberts “should have learned from the watches to tread warily in China”.
The senior public servant Martin Parkinson will determine whether Robert breached the ministerial code of conduct with his trip to China.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

You wouldn't download a watch.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
You can get access to MPs though fake watches huh? Interesting...

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Accepting counterfeit goods is a pretty lovely excuse when they are going around surrendering sovereignty to the us over copy protection.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tim Wilson, the Human Rights Commissioner, will run for Robb’s safe seat of Goldstein.

I have huge respect for Wilson.

He is very smart, diplomatic and hard-working, and brave and articulate in the contest of ideas.

He is a libertarian rather than a conservative, and how badly we need people who believe in freedom.

Wilson, for instance, has been brilliant in the defence of free speech, when too many others were silent. He has fought for free markets and against the over-regulation that stifles creativity, initiative, investment and employment.

Even when we’ve differed - on legalising same-sex marriage, for instance - Wilson has been able to argue with the greatest civility, without giving or taking offence. He prefers ideas to combat, policy to posturing, deeds to words.

I like him a lot.

And, of course, now that he is leaving the Human Rights Commission the coast is clear to call for its complete abolition.

Source your quotes please.

:laffo: "We thought they were fake poo poo, still wore them though" pull the loving other one.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is Wilson running as an independent or what?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

open24hours posted:

Is Wilson running as an independent or what?

Can you be a Libertarian and run as anything other than indi?

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
guys GUYS :siren: real post:siren: here -

Recently I attended babby's first protest about the current refugee policies. The speakers at the small rally really struck a chord and made me feel like poo poo for the refugees stuck in detention. However I'm really badly informed about the issue but I sort of understand from skimming this thread, talking to people and reading up online

- Conditions in detention camps are atrocious
- Policy of 'go back or stay here in not-Australia' essentially dooms some asylum seekers to go die someplace else
- A lot of (probably most?) men, women, children who are long-term tenants in these camps are severely hosed up by the experience, because 'going back' is just not an option for them
- People have been killed upon returning to their country of origin for a variety of reasons

Now I've been writing to my local Tasmanian senators and representatives about the issue and Andrew Nikolic (LIB) sent me a probably pre-baked 2 page reply. His main points are -

- Few adults/no children in detention by end of Howard years
- Labor policy led to 51,000 new arrivals, 1,200 deaths at sea
- 2,000 children in detention under Labor, down to <100 today
- Increase in 'legitimate' asylum seeker intake (this phrase gives me the shits but I don't understand it fully)
- Australia is now the World's Most Generous Nation for Resettling 'Genuine' Refugees (by head of population and by national wealth) and 2018/19 will be our biggest intake in 30 years
- Detention centers run sporting activites, art programs, recreational facilities, libraries, English classes and self-education facilities
- Greens, advocates using 'overblown language' and 'emotional manipulation' and subtly called me out on my similarly strong language.

I'd very much appreciate it if anyone could take the time to address Mr Nikolic's points and add a few of their own to help me better understand this complicated and sadly political issue. I'm not asking for big articles but a pointer to some decent media on the issue would be great.

TLDR: I'm really uneducated on the issues surrounding asylum seeker policy, help me be more informed on the issue

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Meet Billionaire, get given Rolex, assume it's fake.

Yeah no, or they are all somehow dumber than I ever imagined.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Gotta give them the benefit of the doubt. These guys probably would sell out for a fake watch.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Birb Katter posted:

Liberal Democrat?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Birb Katter posted:

Libertarians have a talent for only being true to their convictions when convenient (or rather, when it suits them)

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Frankly posted:

guys GUYS :siren: real post:siren: here -

Recently I attended babby's first protest about the current refugee policies. The speakers at the small rally really struck a chord and made me feel like poo poo for the refugees stuck in detention. However I'm really badly informed about the issue but I sort of understand from skimming this thread, talking to people and reading up online

- Conditions in detention camps are atrocious
- Policy of 'go back or stay here in not-Australia' essentially dooms some asylum seekers to go die someplace else
- A lot of (probably most?) men, women, children who are long-term tenants in these camps are severely hosed up by the experience, because 'going back' is just not an option for them
- People have been killed upon returning to their country of origin for a variety of reasons

Now I've been writing to my local Tasmanian senators and representatives about the issue and Andrew Nikolic (LIB) sent me a probably pre-baked 2 page reply. His main points are -

- Increase in 'legitimate' asylum seeker intake (this phrase gives me the shits but I don't understand it fully)
- Australia is now the World's Most Generous Nation for Resettling 'Genuine' Refugees (by head of population and by national wealth) and 2018/19 will be our biggest intake in 30 years
- Detention centers run sporting activites, art programs, recreational facilities, libraries, English classes and self-education facilities
- Greens, advocates using 'overblown language' and 'emotional manipulation' and subtly called me out on my similarly strong language.

I'd very much appreciate it if anyone could take the time to address Mr Nikolic's points and add a few of their own to help me better understand this complicated and sadly political issue. I'm not asking for big articles but a pointer to some decent media on the issue would be great.

TLDR: I'm really uneducated on the issues surrounding asylum seeker policy, help me be more informed on the issue

Frankly my dear, I don't give a drat.

Now that pun is out of the way let the goon hivemind answer your questions.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I want to see ArchieLuxury make a video about the supposed fake Rolexes.

ALL OF YOU MISERABLE NASTY POLITICIAN FUCKERS WEARING loving DOGSHIT GOLD ROLEXES

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-11/csiro-boss-larry-marshall-defends-controversial-shake-up/7157650

quote:

CSIRO boss defends shake-up, says politics of climate 'more like religion than science'

The CSIRO's chief has told the ABC the backlash from his decision to restructure the organisation has made him feel like an "early climate scientist in the '70s fighting against the oil lobby" and that there is so much emotion in the debate it almost "sounds more like religion than science".

Key points:

CSIRO chief says he will not back down on restructure
Thousands of climate scientists sign protest letter
Chief says change is about using resources effectively
Dr Larry Marshall said he would not be backing down on his controversial shake-up of the organisation's climate divisions, telling the ABC he was yet to be persuaded.

The redirection of climate science priorities at the CSIRO has drawn international condemnation, with thousands of climate scientists signing an open letter protesting against the changes.

This dude seems like a real fucker. Was he appointed by the LNP or something?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Frankly posted:

So what? That was a long time ago

quote:

This one and the first point are tough to unpack, but the main thing is that the amount of refugees attempting to come to Australia is out of our hands. If a war breaks out in Indonesia tomorrow it won't be because of anything Labor or Liberal have done, and refugees fleeing war will have Australia as one of our options.

Also the amount of deaths at sea is completely disingenuous - the only reason we can't compare numbers is because the Libs are keeping them completely secret ("on water matters") which includes a count of deaths caused by Australian boat turnbacks. Not to mention that the reason a lot of these boats are dangerous to travel in is due to Australia destroying boats.

quote:

While that's admirable 1 is too many.

quote:

We have increased our quota but we could be taking a lot more. I can't remember the exact numbers but the intake went up by a few hundred when the Greens were pushing for a few thousand.

quote:

For the most part we don't know what's going on in detention facilities - journalists are having a hard time gaining access, and while those activities are great, there's also reports of food poisoning, hunger strikes, rape and worse.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Ok I looked up his wikipedia bio and a few articles and the main words are "entrepeneur" and "innovation". Cool. coOL.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Birb Katter posted:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a drat.

Now that pun is out of the way let the goon hivemind answer your questions.

actually it comes from a dumb Lano & Woodley joke that stuck with me.

Too young to even know the quote everyone assumes it is outside of ~top ten movie moments~ countdowns haha

e: Thanks so much magic gun person, that helps reinforce what I was already slowly coming to realise

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Found the Greens policy - they want to increase it to 30,000 : http://greens.org.au/safer-pathways

2015-16 we'll take in 25,750 but 12,000 of those are due to the Syrian crisis.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Even if you hate refugees and want them to suffer the current policy is indefensible on economic grounds.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Frankly posted:

actually it comes from a dumb Lano & Woodley joke that stuck with me.

Too young to even know the quote everyone assumes it is outside of ~top ten movie moments~ countdowns haha

e: Thanks so much magic gun person, that helps reinforce what I was already slowly coming to realise
Further reading:

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/fact-sheets/myths-about-refugees/detailed-mythbuster/

(eg)

quote:

Even for refugees who are in need of resettlement, there is no orderly resettlement “queue” to join. In reality, the resettlement system works more like a lottery than a queue. Very few resettlement places are available globally and, while UNHCR aims to prioritise those in greatest need, most refugees – even people in very vulnerable situations – cannot realistically expect to be resettled in the near future, if ever. Many refugees lack access to UNHCR’s resettlement processes altogether and simply do not have resettlement available to them as an option. It is unreasonable to expect refugees to remain indefinitely in situations of danger and insecurity, or to penalise them for seeking their own solutions, when the international community fails in its responsibility to provide effective protection.

Australia doesn't have a visa issuing office in many places that are the source of refugees so in for instance Iraq you can't apply for resettlement at the Australian Embassy/Consulate.

It's lies and disinformation all the way down. Hardly surprising when the ABC mixes up a few facts about child rapes. :ssh: The five year old was only sexually assaulted there was no actual penetration :toot: :suicide:

• Locked thread