Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Scholars are especially good at helping out with AoEs, to the point where I was pretty regularly out-DPSing (or, at the least, evenly matching) everyone else in my group on AoE pulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I ended up switching back to Marauder anyway, dungeons are cued up so much faster and it does feel more involved than DPSing to me, what with controlling enemy positioning and whatnot.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Augus posted:

I ended up switching back to Marauder anyway, dungeons are cued up so much faster and it does feel more involved than DPSing to me, what with controlling enemy positioning and whatnot.

Every boss should just be tanked stationary for 99.9% of all fights.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kwyndig posted:

The problem with huge ilevel boosts is that current content with something like 40 or 50 item levels worth of stat bonuses would be a goddamn cakewalk. Neverreap and Fractal are already getting ridiculous as more people push past i200, imagine the shitshow two patches from now with another 30 ilevels on average.

Hopefully they'll just sync it like they do early ARR 50 dungeons but I don't really trust them to make good decisions in this area after the last couple of content updates.

You mean like when players were hitting i90+ and pushing through 2.0 dungeons without much effort? Lost City's Diablos fight went from "we hosed up doors it's a wipe" to "ok a DPS or healer might die" to "eh just DPS and ignore doors."

New content comes out, older content gets easier as time goes by. This is not going to change and it was a given from the start that Neverfun and Fractal would be easy as hell when people moved on from babby's first 60 gear to lvl 60 raid/upgraded tomestone gear. Was it fun running Fractal 2 days after 3.0 came out and clearing it with a group of people who also just barely met the ilvl requirement? Sure. Do I want to go through that ever again at this point? Not a chance in hell.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Speaking of him, they need to use the Lost City Diabolos music for more bosses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy6YnCnc2wE

Love that tune

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Choyi posted:

NIN is good at burst DPS and not too far behind(or even on par with) MNK, Just do Doton > Kassatsu > Katon > Dagger aoe spam > Invigorate > katon > Dagger spam > etc. Just don't forget to throw in oGCD single target attacks and do a Armor break combo to not loose Huton.
Also NIN do get invigorate, b4b and just about any other LNC skill you may fancy.

Whenever I get pubbie DRG in EX roullete all I see is them spamming either Ring of thorns over and over again(not even comboing of heavy thrust, many of them never keep the buff going at all) or just doing single target DPS in a 8+ mob pull, it's like majority of the DRG playerbase never realised Doom Spike is a skill, much less have it on their hotbar.

Kassatsu Doton. It is (24/3)*30 = 240 potency over its duration, compared to Katon's 180. And as mentioned, Kassatsu makes every tick of Doton crit. Maybe also throw in a B4B before starting Doton mudras to get maximum mileage.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 10, 2016

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Belzac posted:

Every boss should just be tanked stationary for 99.9% of all fights.

Bosses are like 5% of dungeons.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
What's the positioning on trash besides pull all of it and then spam an aoe move?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Belzac posted:

What's the positioning on trash besides pull all of it and then spam an aoe move?

Half a tank's job is to dodge aoes while making sure the trash stays reasonably still, and I can see why some people would enjoy that more than playing a pure DPS class.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/39b281ab7ceec4e29728603154cb41e03aaf394e

Looks like we might not need to beat story mode for savage this time.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Looks like a translation error actually. All three other languages have a different quest listed.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Was this actually a problem? Why would anyone doing savage not do the story mode. Unless the progression groups have all actually gone super nuts.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

Was this actually a problem? Why would anyone doing savage not do the story mode. Unless the progression groups have all actually gone super nuts.
it's fairly annoying to have to clear normal before you can do real content

as in, because story mode is available, clear that on your own time and spend group raiding time on savage

instead you gotta clear normal (and to make it go fast enough, do it with all 8 members) and then you can actually do savage

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

it's fairly annoying to have to clear normal before you can do real content

What the gently caress is wrong with you people

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Man. I'm so glad I stopped progression raiding. What an unfathomably abysmal time that was. loving having to worry about "wasting raid time".

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

What? You have scheduled times to play together as a group. If the content is easy enough that you don't need a full premade group there's no point in doing it during raid time.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Before this gets quickly buried:

petcarcharodon posted:

Looks like a translation error actually. All three other languages have a different quest listed.

I just looked at the pages and sure enough they are listing different quest requirements in all but English. So more than likely it's the same pattern of doing story mode once and then you can Bard Mode to your heart's content.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

KaneTW posted:

What? You have scheduled times to play together as a group. If the content is easy enough that you don't need a full premade group there's no point in doing it during raid time.
it sure is when people you play with do not have time available to play until the moment raid time begins

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

it sure is when people you play with do not have time available to play until the moment raid time begins

Sounds to me like your group isn't taking this progression thing seriously enough.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Rexicon1 posted:

Man. I'm so glad I stopped progression raiding. What an unfathomably abysmal time that was. loving having to worry about "wasting raid time".

Fuckin' cheers. Vanilla WoW burned me on that enough for two lifetimes. "Here, herd 40 cats into perfect positioning and have them all pay total attention, know the fight, be geared with every piece possible from everything prior to that fight and add in a dash of RNG to whether or not some stupid mechanic just loving explodes the raid. Then, when you manage to kill the thing, fight over the loot with some sort of convoluted bidding system that I can't fathom anyone liked. Enjoy!"

gently caress that forever.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

you know this thread is terrible when there's a giant hulk goblin in one of those preview images and people would rather 'nuh-uh' back and forth at each other than mention how dope a giant hulk goblin is

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Brother Entropy posted:

you know this thread is terrible when there's a giant hulk goblin in one of those preview images and people would rather 'nuh-uh' back and forth at each other than mention how dope a giant hulk goblin is

:same:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

You better get to smash the mask (or at least the filter part) off the bigass goblin, I've been wanting to make a goblin breathe our filthy air since the first time I saw one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Talmonis posted:

Fuckin' cheers. Vanilla WoW burned me on that enough for two lifetimes. "Here, herd 40 cats into perfect positioning and have them all pay total attention, know the fight, be geared with every piece possible from everything prior to that fight and add in a dash of RNG to whether or not some stupid mechanic just loving explodes the raid. Then, when you manage to kill the thing, fight over the loot with some sort of convoluted bidding system that I can't fathom anyone liked. Enjoy!"

gently caress that forever.
Minus fifty DKP for you!

Need/Greed should be all we, well, need.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Person who doesn't progression raid should have no opinion on the gates put up for progression raiders. Stop being a little bitch Rexicon.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Patch note reading on the 15th, apparently?

Edit: Apparently it is YoshiP walking around in game and doing things with people, not reading the notes?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

I'm not sure I can handle the crimes against grammar that a Hulk goblin would bark out but I'd like to see it anyway.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of him, they need to use the Lost City Diabolos music for more bosses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy6YnCnc2wE

Love that tune

I'm just glad they removed Heavensward's mid-boss theme and brought back ARR's for the 3.1 dungeons. Hopefully we hear nemesis at least once.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Story mode was, and continues to be, a mistake.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
How is it a mistake? It lets them make content that everyone can see, as opposed to Coil that only people raiding during 2.x will ever get to see.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xenoveritas posted:

How is it a mistake? It lets them make content that everyone can see, as opposed to Coil that only people raiding during 2.x will ever get to see.

It inconveniences statistically less than 10% of the player population.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Worrying about missing a day or two of Savage progression because THOSE FILTHY CASUALS seems pretty silly to me, especially since it'll be quite a few months before the third tier is added and Midas isn't going to be as terribly tuned as Gordias was.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If story mode is seriously something you bemoan about "muh raid time" then quit your job while you're at it, thats also cutting into your raid time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leal posted:

If story mode is seriously something you bemoan about "muh raid time" then quit your job while you're at it, thats also cutting into your raid time.

3 steps ahead of you!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fister Roboto posted:

Story mode was, and continues to be, a mistake.
You would prefer what, the story being entirely housed in cutscenes that require no fights and the fights just being optional and divorced so we don't have to sit through first-timers while we grind for gear?

...actually that doesn't sound so bad.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I was super pumped to find out that I had to do Ramuh, Moggle Mogg, Shiva and Leviathan for the story. poo poo was fun.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The mistake is it's baby content that they have to force people to run 800 times for them to recoup the time they took into making it. The story is meaningless this time around and the fights have nothing interesting in them to experience. It's just speed bump, waste your time, garbage that you will regret defending when you have to run A7 25 times in a row because your loving spring keeps getting stolen.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Story mode is good to let people experience the story (wowzers) and there is nothing wrong with it existing.

Story Mode being a lock to Savage is unnecessary and very funny because it makes people mad.

World first progression raiders are extremely niche and there is no need to cater to them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't really think running through the storymode will take more than 30-40 minutes with our static and it will be interesting to see all of the fights.

I also would be just as fine with being able to skip those and just get started on the first fight. I don't think it's a big deal to get worked up about, but I do think it would be a great option to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The only one who is worked up about it is Vandes. There are many more things wrong with story mode that aren't "slightly inconveniences our first raid".

• Locked thread