Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Firstborn posted:

Is there a documentary about where this game went wrong yet?
Also, should I play it now? I never tried it before. Is it free yet?

It's free, it sucks, it doesn't make money, just play blade and soul to get your mmo fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Firstborn posted:

It's free, it's not horrible but won't wow you or show you anything you haven't seen before. Try it before it dies just to say you did!

I had fun with it until the 'new' wore off on it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Loose Ifer posted:

It's free, it sucks, it doesn't make money, just play blade and soul to get your mmo fix

Someone should put a * by posts like this that say "This is a korean mmo with all that entails"

Like I am enjoying BnS but really by western MMO standards it's complete garbage.

John Dyne posted:

It's free, it's not horrible but won't wow you or show you anything you haven't seen before. Try it before it dies just to say you did!

I had fun with it until the 'new' wore off on it.

Pretty much this. Most of the really egregious unfun poo poo is how alt unfriendly it is, how much a pain in the dick runing is etc. I had fun with it, but I'm about done with it. Nominally my guild needs another steady tank, my engineer is geared for it, but I look at all the extra poo poo I have to do (Unlock amps and ability tiers) and I'm just not willing to put that much effort in again.

It's funny because they fixed the early late game and how grindy and unfun and bullshit it was, but then left in the ability/amp/grindy rune bullshit. Like if I want to keep runing my new gear I have to chain run dungeons OR grind up a bunch of money to buy the poo poo from other players who are chain running dungeons. Not fun.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 10, 2016

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Like I am enjoying BnS but really by western MMO standards it's complete garbage.

Wait, what does this mean.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Mayor McCheese posted:

Leveling is especially repetitive. You have to collect a ton of poo poo to power up your weapons, and so on and so forth. Lots of bullshit a la FFXIV's Atma weapons, basically.

The PvP is really fun, that's about the only thing BnS has going for it.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Oh, and bouncy oily titties is the other thing BnS has.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anoia posted:

Oh, and bouncy oily titties is the other thing BnS has.

It almost has that market on lock down without going supremely over the top like that other MMO that has the super scantily glad girls on the gently caress bikes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Anoia posted:

Leveling is especially repetitive. You have to collect a ton of poo poo to power up your weapons, and so on and so forth. Lots of bullshit a la FFXIV's Atma weapons, basically.

The PvP is really fun, that's about the only thing BnS has going for it.

Specifically the arena. Arena PvP is fun but world PvP is really bad right now.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

It's not a very good game but it's getting a pass on a lot of poo poo because it's new (To goons). A great example of the bad design is one I constantly run into and I've run into constantly while leveling is: Quest will require you collect 10 bear asses, the area that the bears spawn only have spawnpoints for a grand total of five bears with a 3 minute spawn timer on each.

This would be annoying enough, but the game uses closed tagging which means if 2-3 people are there also collecting the bear asses you can spend significant time sitting there frustrated as some ranged cocksucker hoovers up all the bears.

As you level up the weapon grind gets kind of obnoxious too. I had a nasty spate of bad luck when trying to get the level 40~ dagger where I've opened up something like 20 RNG chests and still haven't gotten it yet. So my weapon progression is stuck and it's been stuck for a day+.

This would be fine at endgame where you are climbing up the power ranks, but when leveling? It's a pain in the dick compared to say just equipping the next good quest reward in WoW/Wildstar/Every other loving MMO.

EDIT: The Arena is kind of like street fighter the MMO though. So that's nice.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 10, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Blade and Soul is still newish so people think they like it, give it another two months and everyone will hate it because like all MMOs it's actually really bad

The MMO cycle in action

Wildstar is worth checking out for free though. There's some problems with the game and I don't think anyone's going to make it a long term MMO home anymore but it's still got pretty fun combat and a nice looking world to explore. And fun platforming challenges here and there which is honestly something I've never seen another MMO do in a way that didn't suck

And the housing is cool

You just will lose interest before endgame

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Add on top of that that everything in the cash shop you might want is obnoxiously expensive, your inventory is way too small and while there is a wardrobe system to store extra costumes, some of which you will need to rep certain factions to get certain rewards it's only available to subscribers and even tough I'm told there are other ways to get access to it I haven't been able to find that information yet.

But yeah, it's mainly the upgrade thing. You see, most of the gear you wear is gear you get early on in your quest line, you feed it other weapons in case of the weapon or rings/earrings/necklace if it's a ring/earring/necklace. Then at certain points you have to feed it a specific thing to progress and those things are either dungeon drops you have to bid against your party to get or world boss drops. Oh the world boss drops. You go fight the world boss, get a number of tokens between two and five and then you feed those to an RNG wheel that has a chance to give you the thing you want or an outfit or a soul shield box which kind of acts like armor but it has eight pieces and doesn't affect your look. If you're after the weapon, you have a chance to get an RNG box which again, only comes with a chance of actually giving you the weapon you need and it's locked so you're grinding for money to buy keys or doing quests to get keys or just go to the cash shop to buy keys and you're not even done yet because you still have to unseal the weapon or piece of gear so you can actually use it which is done with another item you have to buy from an NPC but thankfully everything has fixed stats so it's only a money sink not another RNG hidden beneath more RNG.

It's just loving tedious.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

You just will lose interest before endgame

Which is a shame because the raids is the one place this game shines like a motherfucker.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Which is a shame because the raids is the one place this game shines like a motherfucker.

If no one can stomach getting to them does it really?

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Firstborn posted:

If you want to play it now would be the time, I doubt it will be around for long.

I am pretty sure you can't run a MMO with less than a thousand paying customers for long.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If no one can stomach getting to them does it really?

less stomach and more incapable really. Part of why I'm done with this game is that while the "Hardcore" poo poo has been toned down, it's still there. Over 50% of my raid group was dragged through dungeons laying on their back carried by 4 people. The average MMO player will notice they are standing in fire after a few ticks and move out probably at low health. In this game you are pre-warned about the fire and it will kill you if you don't move ahead of time.

I stand by my statement that they should be focusing on the average player and not the exceptional player, and I say that thinking of myself as the latter.

So it's gonna die.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

iuvian posted:

If you want to play it now would be the time, I doubt it will be around for long.

I am pretty sure you can't run a MMO with less than a thousand paying customers for long.

Firefall has been doing it for years but they seem to be on the way out right now.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

WILDSTAR IS SAVED

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Even when it spikes it earns gently caress all compared to everything else they have. And it's still only around half of what it brought in the year before that's always a good sign.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont think this even qualifies as a sead cat bounce

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

noELrunes posted:

WILDSTAR IS SAVED

yikes thats painful to see

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

They can barely even fit the logo on there like the others.

Cyster I hope you have prospects lined up. :ohdear:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

noELrunes posted:

WILDSTAR IS SAVED

I want one of these with all six properties on it set to scale against Lineage 1 cause Wildstar would barely be on the graph. I do like how Guild Wars 2 is outperforming Lineage 2 but due to scaling it doesn't look it at first glance.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
Coming from FFXIV, where your only option for capping each week is pretty much running the same three (or two in heavensward) dungeons back to back to get your weekly currency, it's pretty cool to be able to cap through raid, dailies, pvp, world bosses, or whatever you want. The raids are a lot of fun too, especially datascape. Game is definitely struggling from population and leveling is standard TBC-era style poo poo, but it's worth a shot. There's a double xp weekend coming up at the end of the month which could be a good time to try it.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

John Dyne posted:

I want one of these with all six properties on it set to scale against Lineage 1 cause Wildstar would barely be on the graph. I do like how Guild Wars 2 is outperforming Lineage 2 but due to scaling it doesn't look it at first glance.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Commissar Budgie posted:

Coming from FFXIV, where your only option for capping each week is pretty much running the same three (or two in heavensward) dungeons back to back to get your weekly currency, it's pretty cool to be able to cap through raid, dailies, pvp, world bosses, or whatever you want. The raids are a lot of fun too, especially datascape. Game is definitely struggling from population and leveling is standard TBC-era style poo poo, but it's worth a shot. There's a double xp weekend coming up at the end of the month which could be a good time to try it.

Biggest problem this game faces is the complete lack of faith people have in the development team. They often move too slow, and in the wrong directions. I legitimately think that whoever is in charge is dumber than a chatbot, because even a chatbot can listen and learn.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Usually when you're making an MMO you don't really want to listen to the people who are the most vocal, this has lead to making Black Desert even more super loving grindy for example. But no other game is Wildstar and they really need to get their poo poo together, running with their vision has clearly not worked.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Biggest problem this game faces is the complete lack of faith people have in the development team. They often move too slow, and in the wrong directions. I legitimately think that whoever is in charge is dumber than a chatbot, because even a chatbot can listen and learn.

Recurring problem in mmos, Albion suffered the same fate. Very long wait and when the patches finally dropped it was either the opposite of what people were asking for or a slight fix wrapped up with something you never knew you wanted and don't want. Maybe mmo teams can start hiring chatbots

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Morglon posted:

Usually when you're making an MMO you don't really want to listen to the people who are the most vocal, this has lead to making Black Desert even more super loving grindy for example. But no other game is Wildstar and they really need to get their poo poo together, running with their vision has clearly not worked.

The most vocal are the "Leave it hardcore" shitheads who are all toxic as gently caress and basically run the Wildstar forums.

EDIT: These idiots firmly believe that the reason Wildstar is doing poorly is because the third raid hasn't dropped. Completely ignoring the fact that the majority of the playerbase (i.e. the people quitting in droves) haven't played past the first raid.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I have friends who still do weekly WoW raids even though they consider it a chore, not even fun, and they quit WildStar around the 1st raid because they hate the whole rune system.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
How the gently caress does Lineage 1 still pull those numbers. Cmon Korea!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
My only wish for this game when it finally shuts down is they remove the time cap on how many boom boxes you can open so i can chain open the five hundred or so I had for some hosed up reason and not get a red laser dye bottle.

gently caress you Wildstar, forever.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Kuai posted:

How the gently caress does Lineage 1 still pull those numbers. Cmon Korea!

Nostalgia + a refusal to try new things.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Anoia posted:

I have friends who still do weekly WoW raids even though they consider it a chore, not even fun, and they quit WildStar around the 1st raid because they hate the whole rune system.

Hellfire Citadel for 15 months straight? Wildstar dare I say might be less depressing then that. Like 50% of the playerbase took one look at that and just peaced out. That was 6 months ago, who knows how many more have quit since then and theres still an 8 month? wait for Legion. poo poo is dire.

If you said Final Fantasy would somehow relaunch itself and go on to beat WoW in terms of sub numbers and content releases they would have considered you a crazy person and yet here we are.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Monomythian posted:

Hellfire Citadel for 15 months straight? Wildstar dare I say might be less depressing then that. Like 50% of the playerbase took one look at that and just peaced out. That was 6 months ago, who knows how many more have quit since then and theres still an 8 month? wait for Legion. poo poo is dire.

If you said Final Fantasy would somehow relaunch itself and go on to beat WoW in terms of sub numbers and content releases they would have considered you a crazy person and yet here we are.

I can't pretend to understand it, either.

I just kind it of funny, considering.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Monomythian posted:

Holy :lol: I thought the thirteen months or whatever for Icecrown Citadel was bad enough. That pretty much killed every guild on the server and probably dropped the population by half as all by the most depressively hardcore types finally clued into the fact they were playing the game out of obligation, not fun.

Anyone who's still willingly raiding in tyool 2016 has to have some sort of brain disease.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Asimo posted:

Holy :lol: I thought the thirteen months or whatever for Icecrown Citadel was bad enough. That pretty much killed every guild on the server and probably dropped the population by half as all by the most depressively hardcore types finally clued into the fact they were playing the game out of obligation, not fun.

Anyone who's still willingly raiding in tyool 2016 has to have some sort of brain disease.

Siege of Orgrimmar was a year, I think. They have a history of this, but I can't remember the last raid in TBC to check to see how long it lasted.

I remember people would get one character fully geared then move on to do it for the next character, going against RNG and all that to try and get the best gear possible for their dudes. Which was then outclassed when the next expansion hit by poo poo near the end of the first zone of the new continent.

People are loving weird, man. I ran a dungeon here not two weeks ago with a healer who bitched at two of our DPS for doing low DPS and was trying to vote kick them; they were both fresh level 100's and in 'I can just barely do heroics' gear and didn't know about Tanaan. How the gently caress do you even do that? 'IT'S THE END OF THE EXPANSION AND I AM GOING TO TAKE THIS POINTLESS DUNGEON THAT THE TANK DOESN'T EVEN NEED ME FOR COMPLETELY 100% STRAIGHT FACED SERIOUS *SHITS IN A SOCK*'

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's the same reason MOBAs are loving horrible and invariably have hostile playerbases: nobody wants "their" success to be reliant on the performance other people. It also provides a good excuse for people who are actually bad to explain their own failure, since obviously they were doing it fine, it's just everyone else in the queue loving up.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

John Dyne posted:

Siege of Orgrimmar was a year, I think.

http://how-long-is-this-patch.tumblr.com/post/93083547723/today-marks-321-days-of-seige-of-orgrimmar

Will HFC break the record?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Monomythian posted:

ffxiv isn't even close to wow's sub numbers no matter how bad it's gotten. the most optimistic for xiv is 800k, the most pessimistic for wow is 3m

Monomythian posted:

Will HFC break the record?

no. there's not enough time. hfc came out end of june and legion will be september at latest, probably pushed out no matter how done it is end june/beginning july to coincide with the movie

it is worth noting that for it's nearly two year run wod had a single big content patch. 6.1 absolutely does not count as a major content patch because the biggest feature in it was native integration to automatically tweet your achivements.

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

sword_man.gif posted:

no. there's not enough time. hfc came out end of june and legion will be september at latest, probably pushed out no matter how done it is end june/beginning july to coincide with the movie

Well one full year is still longer than SoO; that tumblr says It was 321 days for SoO. If it launches in June at all it'll be ~340 days for HFC.

• Locked thread