Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

RBA Starblade posted:

e: The other thing about gunslingers is they still fire the sniper rifle nearly as well as the actual sniper. Unless they ramp up to God-tier by the end of the game they're kind of just slowing me down. I wonder how much time limit complaints are around setting things up for the sniper? I used to do that a lot in EU.

Yeah, Gunslingers are really just on another tier of general usage compared to purestrain snipers, purely because they can still do squadsight sniping when you need or have the time to do that, but they also can contribute effectively while also keeping pace with the rest of the squad's advancing on time sensitive runs, which makes them a better idea to spec into with at minimum your first sharpshooter, so they don't just languish in the armory whenever you get something with a turn limit.

Harrow posted:

I wish they'd done with pistols what they did with shotguns in XCOM: EU. When all other weapons to go plasma, shotguns become "Alloy Cannons" and just pump enemies full of alien alloys with a huge, satisfying bang. An Alloy Hand Cannon would be so much more satisfying than a plasma pistol.

:yeah:

You started me with a gently caress-off revolver, Firaxis, why did you think it was the right idea to take it away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just like XCOM:EU/W, I think the design of the plasma shotgun looks sick as hell while every other T3 weapon is lame.

Mag weapons are pretty good too, though of all of them only the rifle beats out their ballistic counterpart.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I feel like the T2 and T3 guns should just have a bunch of doodads duct-taped onto the base ballistic one. There's only so much you can do in the limited time you're given after all.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Broken Cog posted:

I feel like the T2 and T3 guns should just have a bunch of doodads duct-taped onto the base ballistic one. There's only so much you can do in the limited time you're given after all.

Seemed to work out well enough for Bradford.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I'd be happier if the base model was always the ballistic weapon, with chambers and magazines being swapped out for batteries and plasma chambers as you advance the tech tree.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Can anyone confirm if this mod works? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619141883

The intention is that it's supposed to let you load your modded saves if you have to remove a mod or if a mod is pulled from the workshop. It only really works for UI mods, obviously--trying it with hefty content mods would be awful--but the mods I'm interested in (Retroactive AWC, Show Health Display) both bill themselves as UI mods that would work with this.

But I want to get some independent confirmation before I risk having to roll back my campaign to a backup if I ever need to remove a mod.

Quoting for this page in case anyone's tried this mod.

I'm paranoid about ~*~my saves~*~ :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

toasterwarrior posted:

I'd be happier if the base model was always the ballistic weapon, with chambers and magazines being swapped out for batteries and plasma chambers as you advance the tech tree.

With the weapon upgrades showing up on the models it's kind of a surprise this isn't how it works already.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

RBA Starblade posted:

With the weapon upgrades showing up on the models it's kind of a surprise this isn't how it works already.

It would also make more sense for the mods to carry over (not that I'm complaining) if the new types were just even more mods.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Decided to try my hand at making the Team Fortress guys, not super happy with all of them, especially spy due to having to choose between face concealment and cigarette showing, and heavy due to the lack of body build customization. Will probably revisit when some mods for that become available!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqjiuaejc4nptu7/Team%20Fortcom%202.bin?dl=0 <- Link to pool, slight updates to a few bios as well as changed Medics first name to "Herr" and Spy's name to "Not A". I've been informed that a ski mask is available as DLC/preorder, so replace that on the spy if you have it!

And while I'm at it, some other fellows I had fun making:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mqryoaofae2ox6/Zonin%20%26%20other%20jerks.bin?dl=0

ZoninSilver fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 11, 2016

Gunder
May 22, 2003

They really hosed up the initial half of this game, balance wise. It gets MUCH easier as you go on, but the first half of the game is way too difficult compared to the later half. Makes the whole experience very frustrating to begin with, then very underwhelming later on. What a shame. I hope someone is able to mod the difficulty curve to some degree, because the stuff they throw at you early on is not only unfair, it's extremely unfun. The original XCOM had a great difficulty curve, this one is completely inverted.

Edit: Also, why are 95% of the XCOM soldiers women? Seems odd that there aren't more men. Almost every soldier I get is female.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 10, 2016

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Gunder posted:

They really hosed up the initial half of this game, balance wise. It gets MUCH easier as you go on, but the first half of the game is way too difficult compared to the later half. Makes the whole experience very frustrating to begin with, then very underwhelming later on. What a shame. I hope someone is able to mod the difficulty curve to some degree, because the stuff they throw at you early on is not only unfair, it's extremely unfun.

:xcom: EU in a nutshell

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Gunder posted:

They really hosed up the initial half of this game, balance wise. It gets MUCH easier as you go on, but the first half of the game is way too difficult compared to the later half. Makes the whole experience very frustrating to begin with, then very underwhelming later on. What a shame. I hope someone is able to mod the difficulty curve to some degree, because the stuff they throw at you early on is not only unfair, it's extremely unfun. The original XCOM had a great difficulty curve, this one is completely inverted.

welcome to firaxicom, please enjoy your victory lap

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gunder posted:

They really hosed up the initial half of this game, balance wise. It gets MUCH easier as you go on, but the first half of the game is way too difficult compared to the later half. Makes the whole experience very frustrating to begin with, then very underwhelming later on. What a shame. I hope someone is able to mod the difficulty curve to some degree, because the stuff they throw at you early on is not only unfair, it's extremely unfun.

Edit: Also, why are 95% of the XCOM soldiers women? Seems odd that there aren't more men. Almost every soldier I get is female.

I don't know if I'd call the initial half "unfun." You just have to be much more strategic in combat in the first half than you do in the second. You have to be very careful to flank, set up overwatches, use grenades wisely, etc. It isn't all that tough once you learn how to give yourself the best chance of hitting shots.

It does have the same balance issue that XCOM: EU had, though, where it gets a lot easier as the game goes on. They give you lots of cool tools and toys to use later on and the enemies really just can't keep up.

As for your male/female soldier balance, I've got the opposite problem, so I think it's just random chance.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Gunder posted:

No, it's not screwed up. Every XCOM game is a hard struggle that only gets harder until you hit a breakpoint and coast to the end. It's how it works.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

So while I like the continent bonus to replace and reuse PCS/weapon mods, am I missing something or is there no way to straight remove them? Seems they have to be strictly switched out instead of just taken off which is a pointless pain, kinda hurts the value of the bonus when you have to shuffle the mods around.

While I'm on the subject, these bonuses being randomized is a great change.

TASTE THE PAIN!! fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 10, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

No, it's not screwed up. Every XCOM game is a hard struggle that only gets harder until you hit a breakpoint and coast to the end. It's how it works.

I compare Darkest Dungeon to XCOM a lot because they share that "base management, lose characters forever" kind of thing, so it's interesting to me that Darkest Dungeon's difficulty curve is almost (but not quite) the opposite. It starts really hard if you don't already know how to use marks and stuns well, then gets pretty easy with a tiny spike when you first hit Veteran dungeons. Then you hit Champion dungeons, feeling great about how good you are at the game, only to realize that the game's just been playing with you this whole time.

Then you get through the Champion dungeons and hit the actual Darkest Dungeon, unsure how it could possibly get any worse, and then, well...

Anyway, XCOM (and apparently XCOM 2) put you through hell early on before you sort of snowball beyond the aliens' ability to keep up. XCOM 2 certainly tries to keep up with some really terrifying late-game units, but if you have a half-decent Psi Operative and some good special ammo, you'll spend maybe one round afraid of what they can do before you just lock them down and dismantle them piece by piece.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

My campaign is pretty much a bunch of drunk women running through downtown hooting and hollering, firing off pistols and grenade launchers wildly into the air.

quote:

So while I like the continent bonus to replace and reuse PCS/weapon mods, am I missing something or is there no way to straight remove them? Seems they have to be strictly switched out instead of just taken off which is a pointless pain, kinda hurts the value of the bonus when you have to shuffle the mods around.

There is no way to reuse them, and the game warns you of that. They can only be replaced.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
XCOM being hard as hell at the beginning and getting over the hump where you now are able to take the enemy down is intended design. It's Dark Souls of strategy games, like I said. Although, I think Dark Souls stays fairly hard all the way through and there's no way an expert player could ever win the game using ballistics weapons only, so there's not many analogies possible.

RBA Starblade posted:

My campaign is pretty much a bunch of drunk women running through downtown hooting and hollering, firing off pistols and grenade launchers wildly into the air.
This is the only way to play XCOM EU/EW as well and if you have a bunch of men, too. XCOM has historically brought sex equality to gaming.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Roguelikes that have constantly growing difficulties work if they're only a few hours long. It's bad enough if you have to restart a game of FTL after three hours because the RNG decides to gently caress you but in XCOM it'd quickly ruin the fun if it was possible to lose your top soldiers in the last quarter of the game and then the remaining missions were even harder than the first ones.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Comparing Darkest Dungeon to XCOM2 is weird to me because losing a team in DD won't lose you the game because you can always scrounge another. It's going to take a while, but you'll be back.

Whereas in XCOM2, losing a squad of veterans mid or late campaign without a b-team is likely to be a game over because a bunch of fresh squaddies are going to need a lot more than equipment against late-game ADVENT and aliens. I don't mind a veteran XCOM squad being very powerful in late-game compared to veteran adventurers in DD, because losing them is a lost campaign, not a setback that'll take grinding to recover from.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

ZoninSilver posted:

Decided to try my hand at making the Team Fortress guys, not super happy with all of them, especially spy due to having to choose between face concealment and cigarette showing, and heavy due to the lack of body build customization. Will probably revisit when some mods for that become available!

These are super great and I look forward to snagging them from the pool later on but are you aware there's a ski mask headpiece for the spy? Either way that will be literally the only change I'll make to it, otherwise these are gonna be a welcome addition to my campaign!

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

There is no way to reuse them, and the game warns you of that. They can only be replaced.

Not if you have the proper continent bonus, like I said. Problem is I only have 3 PCS, so unless I go buy one at the black market explicitly for swapping purposes, then they're staying on their current soldiers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Comparing Darkest Dungeon to XCOM2 is weird to me because losing a team in DD won't lose you the game because you can always scrounge another. It's going to take a while, but you'll be back.

Whereas in XCOM2, losing a squad of veterans mid or late campaign without a b-team is likely to be a game over because a bunch of fresh squaddies are going to need a lot more than equipment against late-game ADVENT and aliens. I don't mind a veteran XCOM squad being very powerful in late-game compared to veteran adventurers in DD, because losing them is a lost campaign, not a setback that'll take grinding to recover from.

Yeah, that's true, and maybe that's the point.

Darkest Dungeon doesn't have a lose condition (except on NG+), so it can afford to be absolutely brutal towards the end and stack the deck against you pretty hard. XCOM: EU/EW and XCOM 2 do have lose conditions, and yeah, it would be pretty lovely to get towards the end only to run into some blatantly unfair missions that wipe your squad and pretty much force you to restart.

I wonder what a version of XCOM 2 without a lose condition but instead with a steeper endgame difficulty curve would look like. I'm not sure I'd like it as much. (Though I would like more time to play around with endgame tools than XCOM 2 provides.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My current psi guy has void rift, domination and statis. I don't think I need anything else, so I'm probably going to train a second psi guy unless there's some other ability I'm missing out on?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

My current psi guy has void rift, domination and statis. I don't think I need anything else, so I'm probably going to train a second psi guy unless there's some other ability I'm missing out on?

Null Lance is insanely good if you can get it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I haven't even used a psi soldier yet, and I'm on tier 2 and beginning 3. Should I get the testing facility?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I don't get why soldier customization is a thing that unlocks gradually when they level up. Nicknames are about the only place where this makes some kind of sense. Is there a mod that unlocks that poo poo on everyone? (Except maybe rookies, I don't want to customize those besides make their armor hot pink.)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I've played and beaten both EW and EU but I can't say I've ever been very good, and XCOM 2 is straight up destroying me so far. So really basic questions for all you people out there beating it on the harder difficulties: How often do you Hunker Down, and what situations are you using Hunker Down and Overwatch in? I realized that I've used Hunker Down like twice so far in my game in favor of Overwatch, so obviously that needs to change, and even then, while I know what Overwatch does, I don't know if it changes how the enemy responds or even what situations it's intended for. Should I be using it to pin down enemies who are already behind cover? Should I primarily be using it when advancing and trying to discover pods? I feel like my brain has always focused on teasing out the numbers without understanding the basics of real, on-the-field usage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zomborgon posted:

I haven't even used a psi soldier yet, and I'm on tier 2 and beginning 3. Should I get the testing facility?

They're super powerful and easy to manage since they automatically gain skills with days passing instead of levels. Much better to have replacements than starting up brand new soldiers.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Just throwing this out there, I'm starting to work on a mod that adds similar functionality of the Squad Leader mod, only it's adding 2 specializations for each class (sans Psi Ops) and ONLY to the specific class. Figured I'd get some feedback on whether or not things seem even enough or if they need to be tweaked further.

Have at it:

(Note: The abilities are arranged by tier, so 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3 in descending order.)

Grenadier:

Explosives Expert - Focuses on maximizing the potential of explosives utilized by the Grenadier.

Bomb Squad - Improves Blast Padding by increasing Armor by 1 additional point per tech level and health by 1 additional point per tech level.
Alpha Strike - Grenades launched from Concealment have 50% more range and 50% more area of effect.
Danger Close - Explosive grenades now deal double environmental damage and non-explosive grenades negative effects persist for 1 additional turn.
Concussive Force - Grenades disorient affected enemies. Flashbangs have a chance to stun enemies.
Heavier Ordnance - Heavy weapons now have 2 charges instead of 1.
Chain Reaction - Destroying cover using an explosive allows you to take a free action primary weapon shot.

Firearms Expert - Focuses on maximizing the potential of the cannon utilized by the Grenadier.

Collateral Damage - Suppression and Demolition now deal 1 damage per tech level to their target.
Locked and Loaded - Reloading gives the Grenadier a 15 aim bonus on their next shot.
Vital Targeting - Holo-Targeting now gives the squad a 15 crit bonus on top of the 15 aim bonus.
Flush - A highly accurate attack that forces the enemy to leave its cover and seek new cover. Overwatch shots taken during this have a 15 aim bonus. 1 turn cooldown.
Bulletstorm - Firing your primary weapon or using abilities that use your primary weapon as your first action no longer ends your turn.
Ammo Conservation - All primary weapon abilities have their ammo consumption reduced by 1.

Sharpshooter:

Gunslinger Expert - Focuses on maximizing the potential of the sidearm utilized by the Sharpshooter.

Quicksilver - Killing an enemy lowers the cooldown on Lightning Hands by 1 turn.
Disabling Shot - Takes a pistol shot at the target with a 20 aim bonus that forces the enemy to reload. Deals 1 damage per tech level of pistol. 2 turn cooldown.
Ambush - When Faceoff is used to break concealment, each shot is guaranteed to hit and has a 50% bonus to critical damage.
Trick Shot - Takes a pistol shot that ricochets to another enemy within 5 tiles, damage is reduced by 1 for each enemy struck. 3 turn cooldown.
Calm, Cool, Collected - The aim and critical bonuses of Steady Hands and Aim are doubled.
Hybrid Ammo - Gain a bonus item slot that only ammo items can be equipped in, two ammo effects can be present at one time.

Marksmanship Expert - Focuses on maximizing the potential of the sniper rifle utilized by the Sharpshooter.

Hawkeye - Squadsight no longer imposes aim and critical chance penalties.
Snapshot - Sniper Rifles may now be fired after moving.
King Of The Hill - Firing your Sniper Rifle at an enemy below you increases critical damage by 50%.
Tag - The sniper can mark any target in squadsight range as a free action, increasing the Aim of the next shot taken against it by 25. 2 turn cooldown.
Relentless - Activating Serial grants a single use of an auto-loader.
Full Bore - The Sharpshooter empties the magazine on the enemy, each consecutive shot reduces aim by 10. 5 turn cooldown.

Specialist:

Overwatch Expert - Focuses on maximizing the potential of Overwatch when utilized by the Specialist.

Warning Shot - When the specialist misses a shot with their primary weapon, they automatically enter overwatch.
Opportunist - Removes the aim penalties from Overwatch shots, and Overwatch shots taken from Concealment are guaranteed to hit.
Entrenched - Hunker down also activates Overwatch, and vice versa.
Threat Response - Threat Assessment also grants Guardian.
Momentum - Using Overwatch grants 3 mobility on your next turn.
Ready For Anything - Ending your turn without shooting automatically grants Overwatch. Ever Vigilant now grants a bonus shield unit per tier of armor.

Gremlin Expert - Focuses on maximizing the potential of the Gremlin utilized by the Specialist.

Targeting Protocol - Aid Protocol grants 10/15/20 aim and crit based on the tech level of the Gremlin equipped.
Shield Protocol - Aid Protocol grants 2/4/6 shield units based on the tech level of the Gremlin equipped.
Rechargeable Batteries - Combat Protocol no longer has charges and has a 2 turn cooldown.
Augmentation Protocol - Overdrive Serum may now be applied remotely, and grants a free charge.
Revenge Protocol - Automatically uses Combat Protocol after being shot at, this does not use a combat protocol charge or put combat protocol on cooldown.
Triage Protocol - Heals 1 damage per tech level of Gremlin equipped at the beginning of each turn to the Specialist and any other soldiers within 2 tiles.

Ranger:

Infiltration Expert - Focuses on maximizing the potential of Concealment when utilized by the Ranger.

Blindside - Shots made from Concealment deal 2 extra damage per tech level.
Silent Steps - Reduces the detection radius for the Ranger.
Marathon - Run and Gun grants 3 bonus mobility.
Smoke and Mirrors - Smoke Grenades gain a bonus charge and the defense bonus is doubled.
Double Down - Rapid Fire no longer has an aim reduction, but it gains a 1 turn cooldown.
Disappearing Act - Finishing your turn inside of smoke and out of sight range of enemies grants Concealment.

Blade Expert - Focuses on maximizing the potential of Swords utilized by the Ranger.

Serrated Edge - Sword attacks now shred armor for 1 point per tech level.
Socketed Blades - Swords now benefit from equipped ammo.
Blunted Smash - Can perform an attack with the blunt side of the sword, dealing reduced damage but with a high chance to stun the target.
Graceful Warrior - Implacable grants 5 mobility. Bladestorm increases melee defense by 25.
Grim Reaper - Each enemy killed during Reaper reduces the cooldown by 1 turn.
Bladedancer - Untouchable stacks up to two times and also grants 75 dodge.

Generally I tried having two separate types of utility for each tree. Tier 1 unlocks at Sergeant, Tier 2 at Captain, and Tier 3 at Colonel, each ability modified affects the perk at that tier level OR is a new ability in line with the power level of those tiers. I tried having modified functionality on one side of things and something either entirely new or different on the other.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Tae posted:

Insanity and then the schism upgrade to insanity will make void rift even more fun plus give you some crowd control when void rift is on cooldown. The solace ability blocks negative mental conditions on both you and your allies in a nearby radius; it won't be useful that often but when it shows up it's invaluable. Soulfire is a nice shot of no-miss damage good for finishing off weakened foes or burning someone behind cover. Inspire is free turns for your other soldiers, which is great.

Also you can upgrade your psi chamber so two people can train at once.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I beat the game on Veteran last night, gently caress the last part of the final mission. Thought it probably would've been much easier if I had built the AWC before my first 8 troops had hit max level. And if I had remembered to buy all the things in the Guerrilla Tactics School (beyond squad size and lightning strike). And if I had bothered to train up and bring a psi dude.

Oh well onward to campaign #2!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shab posted:

I've played and beaten both EW and EU but I can't say I've ever been very good, and XCOM 2 is straight up destroying me so far. So really basic questions for all you people out there beating it on the harder difficulties: How often do you Hunker Down, and what situations are you using Hunker Down and Overwatch in? I realized that I've used Hunker Down like twice so far in my game in favor of Overwatch, so obviously that needs to change, and even then, while I know what Overwatch does, I don't know if it changes how the enemy responds or even what situations it's intended for. Should I be using it to pin down enemies who are already behind cover? Should I primarily be using it when advancing and trying to discover pods? I feel like my brain has always focused on teasing out the numbers without understanding the basics of real, on-the-field usage.

I use overwatch for two things:

1. To set up an initial ambush. When you're still concealed, you can set up your soldiers in overwatch, then grenade the poo poo out of a clustered pod that hasn't seen you yet, and take shots at them as they scramble for cover.

2. To protect a soldier doing a forward push. If I have a non-concealed Ranger pressing forward, sometimes I'll set up some soldiers on overwatch just in case the Ranger stumbles on a pod and activates them. A sniper can maybe pick one off as it runs for cover and make the next turn less painful.

I rarely hunker down. My usual XCOM strategy is that the best defense is a good offense. If there's a chance you can just kill another enemy and take less return fire next round, that's going to be better than hunkering down.

What makes the early game a lot easier for me is being really aggressive with flanking. Your soldiers miss a ton without it, and it's often worth the risk to move to flank an enemy for a much better chance at hitting them, rather than taking a shot while they're protected by cover and just praying. If you can't flank, blow up their cover with a grenade.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

uXs posted:

I don't get why soldier customization is a thing that unlocks gradually when they level up. Nicknames are about the only place where this makes some kind of sense. Is there a mod that unlocks that poo poo on everyone? (Except maybe rookies, I don't want to customize those besides make their armor hot pink.)

Customization brings options and choice. Such options can bring choice paralyzation.

I wish I wasn't kidding.

Anyway, there is such a mod available, right here

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Later armors giving less customization than the previous ones is kind of a drag.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Shab posted:

Hunker down is the ultimate oh poo poo button - you really shouldn't be hitting it often (not that I'm saying hitting it twice is often). Overwatch in 2 I feel is generally useless at the start, I had more success with flashbanging/grenading cover and advancing/flanking than to sit there trade potshots. Trading shots will get your dudes killed.

The only downside of flashbangs is in retailation missions - aliens will prioritize civvies when disoriented. I generally keep 2 in a 5man squad, or 1 in a 4man squad.

Of course, just ignore what I say for legend difficulty, because that's altogether a different beast with the hp amounts you see; guaranteeing a kill in legend is way harder.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Harrow posted:

2. To protect a soldier doing a forward push. If I have a non-concealed Ranger pressing forward, sometimes I'll set up some soldiers on overwatch just in case the Ranger stumbles on a pod and activates them. A sniper can maybe pick one off as it runs for cover and make the next turn less painful.

This is also a wonderful time to have a Kill Zone sniper, it's like In the Zone during overwatch without the kill requirement.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Later armors giving less customization than the previous ones is kind of a drag.

The tier 3 armors look cartoony and ridiculous and I hate them. On my next campaign I want to find a mod that lets me use the resistance fighter versions of kevlar armor for the whole game. I love looking like a ragtag group of badasses wearing salvaged armor strapped over worn civilian clothes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think I ever hunkered down, because on veteren enemies don't give a gently caress if your entire crew is on overwatch unlike 1. And offense is so incredibly important that only in the very, very early stages of the game is when you try to hide behind cover.

Late in the game, way too many enemies bypass cover that you might as well fight in open space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Shab posted:

I won't pretend being any good, but as far as I know overwatch (mostly) has an aim penalty, so overwatching instead of just trying a shot is just a dumb idea because you'll hit even less. I don't know how this changes with enemies getting out of cover though, so it might be worth it on someone/something going out of full cover into the open.

Otherwise overwatch seems a good idea mostly for ambushes: either for a concealment trap, or for waiting around a corner/on a roof for an enemy to appear.

In XCom1, overwatch seemed good for making aliens afraid to move while you were moving other units to their flanks. Don't know if that still works in 2.

Hunker down is obviously for when you don't want to get hit.