Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NH has a large population of loons, avian and otherwise.

Even loonier are New England conservatives.

On to something relevant at the USPol level, are we seeing federal intervention in Flint yet, or can we expect direct support or a series of investigative hearings?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean it's not like the middle class isn't at least partly culpable for the wealthy being able to get away with all that they have by promising the middle class the chance at doing it too in some nebulous someday.

This, gently caress the Middle Class they're airways the most reactionary and they decided their racism was worth more than the future of their children and America. To paraphrase, behind every Middle Class White Suburban house door is The Rivers of Blood speech just waiting to come out.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

NH has a large population of loons, avian and otherwise.

Even loonier are New England conservatives.

On to something relevant at the USPol level, are we seeing federal intervention in Flint yet, or can we expect direct support or a series of investigative hearings?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/08/politics/flint-water-congress-hearing-snyder/

There are hearings, but they are focusing on the EPA's side of the fuckup and not digging into the political side.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
In red state news, Oklahoma just passed a bill out of committee that will abolish our Judicial Nominating Committee and bring general elections to all levels of the judiciary. It looks like it also adds a four-year term limit to Supreme Court justices.

Our Supreme Court has been the only thing preventing some truly odious poo poo from being enacted here, so I guess it makes sense the GOP would go after it eventually.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I wasn't really paying attention to New Hampshire. I figured it would just be Bernie and Trump, blah blah blah, no surprises.

...nobody told me Kasich came in second, let alone a relatively strong second compared to Cruz et al.

Being in Ohio, I will just add that Kasich is a piece of poo poo. He has not helped this state. The only plus is that he is just corrupt and not corrupt and religiously crazy.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

zoux posted:

*assumes punditest demeanor* They have a saying around here: In Iowa they pick corn, in New Hampshire they pick presidents *entire studio laughs*

I loving hate this "haha isn't it so QUAINT and INTERESTING how we do this around here, look it's a town of six people that is voting."

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/697122711143870464

WE ARE SPECIAL PEOPLE HERE IN NEW HAMPSHIRE

Doesn't New Hampshire understand that you are supposed to have made up your mind 6 months ago and then spent all your time getting mad on the internet until election day?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

A supreme court justice gets term limited out in four years? Uh.

e: Oh, OK, you just meant that the term they are elected for is four years. Dumb, but not nearly as dumb as I initially read it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sylink posted:

Being in Ohio, I will just add that Kasich is a piece of poo poo. He has not helped this state. The only plus is that he is just corrupt and not corrupt and religiously crazy.

It's almost as if the crazy wing of the party trains us to be grateful for supposed "moderates" who would probably get more of the GOP agenda through in the end.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/gove...1.html?mode=jqm

quote:

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Senate passed a measure Thursday that would require high schools in the state to teach students about the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921.
Senate Bill 1381 by Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre, D-Tulsa, and Rep. Jabar Shumate, D-Tulsa, passed by a vote of 33-6 and now heads to the House.
"School districts shall ensure that information concerning the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921 is presented in high school courses in U.S. history or Oklahoma history," the bill states.

The measure would be effective July 1. McIntyre said no cost would be associated with it.
Tricia Pemberton, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Education, said information about the race riot is already being taught.
"It is the standard required by the state Department of Education, which has the effect of law," she said in an email.
The state has required the topic in Oklahoma history classes since 2000 and in U.S. history classes since 2004. It has been in Oklahoma history books since 2009, according to the agency.

McIntyre said she brought measure to the Legislature because the topic sometimes is omitted in the classroom.
"It has been an option," she said. "A lot don't teach it."

Sen. Josh Brecheen, R-Coalgate, was among the six lawmakers voting against the measure.
He said he was taught about the Tulsa Race Riot in Oklahoma history.
"We are already teaching it in schools," Brecheen said. "My question is why do we need to run a mandate to force it?"
He said he was concerned that the issue was being politicized.
"And the politically correct vote would have been to vote in favor of it," Brecheen said. "And I just think we as a society have to move away with what is politically correct on these issues."

The Tulsa Race Riot resulted in dozens of deaths, hundreds of injuries and the destruction of most of Tulsa's black Greenwood district.
"It teaches us about how far hatred can go," McIntyre said.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Kro-Bar posted:

In red state news, Oklahoma just passed a bill out of committee that will abolish our Judicial Nominating Committee and bring general elections to all levels of the judiciary. It looks like it also adds a four-year term limit to Supreme Court justices.

Our Supreme Court has been the only thing preventing some truly odious poo poo from being enacted here, so I guess it makes sense the GOP would go after it eventually.

Can't the state Supreme Court just strike it down?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Christie's out.

EDIT: And Governor LePage would like to spell it out for those of you who have lost your highest registers of hearing after standing too close to Republican political candidates.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 10, 2016

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Azuth0667 posted:

Can't the state Supreme Court just strike it down?

It would actually be a ballot question leading to a constitutional amendment, so no.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kro-Bar, what sort of odious stuff has been blocked by the SC of Oklahoma?

Shame. He was sane.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Did he really damage Rubio that much? Rubio and Jeb!( non zero means non zero) seem like good punching bags for the D. I don't want to lose my liver listening to a Trump or Cruz nom.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Potato Salad posted:

Shame. He was sane.

They blocked a really lovely personhood bill a few years ago and also forced that dumb 10 Commandments monument off capitol grounds. They're still not great, as this is Oklahoma, but are typically rational actors when compared to the rest of our state government.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

Did he really damage Rubio that much? Rubio and Jeb!( non zero means non zero) seem like good punching bags for the D. I don't want to lose my liver listening to a Trump or Cruz nom.

At least the on paper versions of Jeb and Rubio would be dangerously competitive versus either Bernie or Hillary. As for Jeb we know he's actually a terrible candidate, so that leaves Rubio, and that debate reveals him to be a paper tiger. I'm much more confident now of Hillary being able to wipe the floor with him in debate

I don't think Christie did anything to hurt Rubio except that he highlighted the fact that he's a talking point spewing puppet and more. It would've come up eventually even without Christie

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 10, 2016

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Shame. He was sane.

No he is not.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He's sane, he's just a tremendously lovely rear end in a top hat and possible criminal.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Kro-Bar posted:

It would actually be a ballot question leading to a constitutional amendment, so no.

At first glance, whoever wrote it forgot to fix conflicting provisions pertaining to the terms and qualifications of supreme court justices, so maybe.

e: bill text

Article VII, Section 2 of the Oklahoma Constitution.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 10, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Rubio's debate performance when Christie called him out was easily the worst performance of the entire race so far, and quite possibly a contender for the Rick Perry's 'Oops' Hall of Fame Debate gently caress-Up's

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Potato Salad posted:

Shame. He was sane.

Charlie Pierce posted:

We here at the shebeen would like to thank Chris Christie for the fine way he fulfilled his mission—wrapping his arms around Young Marco Rubio and hurling himself off a cliff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I will always love Chris Christie for destroying his own electability through a petty traffic revenge stunt and then destroying Rubio's as well. No one is doing more for the Democratic Party than Chris Christie.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Rubio's debate performance when Christie called him out was easily the worst performance of the entire race so far, and quite possibly a contender for the Rick Perry's 'Oops' Hall of Fame Debate gently caress-Up's

Yeah it really was a pretty staggering fuckup.

I mean, as a fuckup, it was just totally staggering.

It was a really staggering fuckup, really.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Yeah I will always love Chris Christie for destroying his own electability through a petty traffic revenge stunt and then destroying Rubio's as well. No one is doing more for the Democratic Party than Chris Christie.

Let's dispense with this fiction that Chris Christie didn't know exactly what he was doing when he hugged Obama

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
This is what BI NOW GAY LATER does, you guys! Just canned, 25 word posts and then on to the mindless Clinton praise!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think if Christie could have held it together he'd have been a real threat in the general. The people pissed at him for hugging Obama would have voted straight Republican as always and I could totally have seen him getting enough moderate democrats on board to tip it in his favor.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Can anyone confirm this is Rubio?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Potato Salad posted:

Shame. He was sane.

I guess corrupt, greedy assholes can be considered sane. The bridge thing was bad, but he's done much worse.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/08/nj_judge_approves_controversial_christie_exxon_set.html

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Can anyone confirm this is Rubio?

It's Rubio in high school. Who cares.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chris Christie insulted teachers to their faces, he's utter scum.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Chris Christie insulted teachers to their faces, he's utter scum.

Yeah you can really tell if someone is garbage because he picks fights with people much less powerful than he is. Him yelling in the faces of striking teachers while he's using government funds to finance his lifestyle is really all you need to know about him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He also killed the Hudson tunnel project and hosed commuter rail in the tri-state area for decades.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I read a few articles that said that Trump stole the angry bag of hot air gimmick so there's that.

Also I heard a radio interview of this book last month.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Governor-Christies-Bridge-Redemption/dp/1476782660

and the prediction of Christie dropping out if he goes 4th(5th?) or lower was right.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.democracynow.org/2016/2/10/ta_nehisi_coates_is_voting_for

quote:

The acclaimed writer Ta-Nehisi Coates, author of "Between the World and Me," has written some of the most discussed articles on the presidential race looking at Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders and his position on reparations. Coates wrote the articles after Sanders appeared at the Black and Brown Forum in Iowa and said he did not support reparations for slavery because it is too "divisive" an issue. While his critique of Sanders generated headlines, today Coates talks on Democracy Now! about why he still plans to vote for the Vermont senator.

quote:

TA-NEHISI COATES: I will be voting for Senator Sanders. I have tried to avoid this question, but, yes, I will be voting for Senator Sanders. I try to avoid that, because I want to write as a journalist—do you know what I mean?—and separate that from my role as, I don’t know, a private citizen. But I don’t think much is accomplished by ducking the question. Yes, I will vote for Senator Sanders. My son influenced me.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 10, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As someone who was listening to a bit of NH primary postmortem coverage, lemme speak to the veracity of this tweet:
https://twitter.com/dcwoodruff/status/697249041793441792

The media loves its simple narratives.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Christie had been angling for the presidency since day one of taking NJ's governorship and after suffering under his carcass for so long I'm glad he's out and I hope his future only gets worse from here.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

As someone who was listening to a bit of NH primary postmortem coverage, lemme speak to the veracity of this tweet:
https://twitter.com/dcwoodruff/status/697249041793441792

The media loves its simple narratives.

To be fair, both Trump and Sanders are tapping into a general sense of anger among the electorate, a feeling that things are hosed up and we need radical change from a non-establishment figure to set things right again. The big difference is, of course, in who the anger is directed towards, but I can't really fault the media for picking up on the similarities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's an extremely reductive view that ignores all kinds of context and differences for the sake of a facile narrative engine that will turn out 15 inch articles effortlessly

My heart goes out to the suffering people of South Carolina.
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/697486210315505664

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Oxxidation posted:

Christie had been angling for the presidency since day one of taking NJ's governorship and after suffering under his carcass for so long I'm glad he's out and I hope his future only gets worse from here.

I know Sam Seder's pet theory is that Christie has been staying in it as long as possible to avoid potential indictments in New Jersey. Dunno if there's any credence to that, but it sure would be neat to watch his political career crash and burn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Looks like the "blaze of glory" theory about Saturday's debate was right after all.

• Locked thread