Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I miss just the base Battlefield 1942. It had a goofy lack of seriousness the modern ones don't, and you could sail around in battleships!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Buttcoin purse posted:

Did FrontPage generate <b><i>bad HTML</b></i> like MS Word did?

Ahh, Frontpage.

I worked at a hometown ISP in the mid-90s that did personal webhosting for customers, and Frontpage was the way Microsoft wanted everyone to make their websites (or "webs" as they stubbornly insisted they be called). You would use the WYSIWYG editor (which generated godawful HTML from an era when nobody had heard of the word "semantic" and CSS was a pipe dream) and then publish to a server that supported "Frontpage Extensions". These were the publishing endpoints that were naturally integrated into MS IIS servers (or whatever their equivalent was at the time), but if you were one of those infidels using SunOS or BSD/OS or (hissss) Linux, you had to install a hacky and security-obliterating port of them into your Apache. No respectable ISP would do so, and yet all our customers would call us up every day asking why we weren't getting with the program and using FUTURISTIC MICROSOFT TECHNOLOGY. This dragged on for years

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember having to troubleshoot for Frontpage when working at Hostopia. That was a HUGE downside to my job there.

Giving Charles Martinet (THE loving voice of Mario!) his FTP login information before transferring to the billing dept (per his request) was a highlight, though. Before I let him go, I told him that I recognized his name and really appreciated his work over the years, and hoped that he will keep going forever. He said that was sweet of me to say, and then without missing a beat, added (in his Mario voice) 'Thank you very much-a!!!"

:toot::toot::toot:

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

feedmegin posted:

I miss just the base Battlefield 1942. It had a goofy lack of seriousness the modern ones don't, and you could sail around in battleships!

Exactly this, how is it no other game has done this since. It was basically Grand Theft Battle Ship... Any infantry guy could just grab one and go balls out.

Most favorite thing was Playing Engi and putting explosives in a jeep. Hide behind a bush until someone comes and takes Jeep, wait until they had it up to full speed and ... BOOM!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Ziptar posted:

It's still out there but, not only can I not find any servers still running it Battle Field 1942 doesn't run on Windows 7 or 10.. :saddowns:

you sure about that chief? i just played a game with ~10 other people a couple nights ago and i'm on 8.1.

the EA Origin version runs on pretty much every OS and is also compatible with mods as far as i can tell. go hog wild

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ziptar posted:

Most favorite thing was Playing Engi and putting explosives in a jeep. Hide behind a bush until someone comes and takes Jeep, wait until they had it up to full speed and ... BOOM!

or tear assing around with a jeep full of c4 then jumping out and watching the jeep skid towards the dudes who at this point knew what was coming but were powerless to do anything about it

the jihad jeep was powerful and practically unstoppable. i once killed a strafing plane with a jihad jeep. you could ramp that bitch over hills and drop it on dudes who thought they were safe in a bunker until a truck full of explosives lands outside the front door

and the best part was the update tick was so naturally laggy that when you were blasting around full speed the tnt was hovering along like 20 feet behind your vehicle model

another fun quirk of bf1942 was that every soldier had a parachute which deployed instantly. so you could jump from any height, activate your parachute an inch above the ground, and survive with no problems. which meant that you could lurk on top of buildings, wait for an enemy to pass by below you, and then jump off and kill him with collision damage then activate your chute. so you could just go around goombah stomping nazis to death. god drat that game owned

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Ziptar posted:

Oh Gawd! I forgot the best internet thing EVA!!!!

Fensler Films

PORKCHOPSANDWICHES!!!!!

BODY MASSAGE!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Buttcoin purse posted:

And for my next submission:

It seemed good to me so long as you didn't mind admins occasionally doing dragon roleplaying, broadcast to everyone on the network sometimes I think :barf:

/server irc.dal.net
/j #anime

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

Turdsdown Tom posted:

you sure about that chief? i just played a game with ~10 other people a couple nights ago and i'm on 8.1.

the EA Origin version runs on pretty much every OS and is also compatible with mods as far as i can tell. go hog wild

Thanks! Imma look into that tonight!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Data Graham posted:

Ahh, Frontpage.

I worked at a hometown ISP in the mid-90s that did personal webhosting for customers, and Frontpage was the way Microsoft wanted everyone to make their websites (or "webs" as they stubbornly insisted they be called). You would use the WYSIWYG editor (which generated godawful HTML from an era when nobody had heard of the word "semantic" and CSS was a pipe dream) and then publish to a server that supported "Frontpage Extensions". These were the publishing endpoints that were naturally integrated into MS IIS servers (or whatever their equivalent was at the time), but if you were one of those infidels using SunOS or BSD/OS or (hissss) Linux, you had to install a hacky and security-obliterating port of them into your Apache. No respectable ISP would do so, and yet all our customers would call us up every day asking why we weren't getting with the program and using FUTURISTIC MICROSOFT TECHNOLOGY. This dragged on for years

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember having to troubleshoot for Frontpage when working at Hostopia. That was a HUGE downside to my job there.

'sup web hosting/ISP Bros

I got at least 3 calls a day to reset FrontPage extensions. People either could not publish or complain that their hit counter got stuck.

For a few years I did some web pages for a few local businesses that were run by friends of friends. At the time I was using DreamWeaver and made some basic, but decent looking sites. I quit doing it because I woulds always get a frantic call telling their website was all messed up and each time it was because they decided to make changes themselves in FrontPage which of course hosed up all the HTML and new images were coded as img src="c:\MY DESKTOP\PICTURES\ITEMS\IMG9234-135235234.jpg"

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Regarding the audio software stuff. Around 2000 or so a friend bought a CD off ebay of cracked music editing and creation software. A few roommates went together and scraped up $95 or whatever it was, knowing it was a gamble but considering that if the CD had a fraction of what the auction claimed they'd score.

It did in fact come loaded with SoundForge, Acid (2.0 I think) with shittons of acid samples, a few sequencer programs, plugins for everything and tons of other audio one off cool sampling programs and stuff. All of it stored in .rar files with accompanying crack exes to unlock everything. That disk got copied and passed around Tallahassee to the point that a year later or so they overheard some guys at a party talking about this amazing disk of cracked audio software they had and they were able to trace it back to the purchase they made.

It was amazing but I'm not sure a lot of it would even run on Win10. Acid was probably my favorite of all of it.

Going back much farther one of the first audio programs we had was on C64 which was a voice synth program where you could get it to say anything but you could only use consonants to make your words. I guess there was a simplicity of execution reason for this.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

/server irc.dal.net
/j #anime

for me that was

/j #jackass

i used to chat with brandon dicamillo and poo poo when i was a kid growing up thinking i was gonna fling myself into bushes for a living

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaF-nRS_CWM

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Buttcoin purse posted:

And for my next submission:

It seemed good to me so long as you didn't mind admins occasionally doing dragon roleplaying, broadcast to everyone on the network sometimes I think :barf:

Oh man, DALnet. I was way too into IRC in the mid nineties. I pretended to internet date this girl who was the owner of #teenchat and became a SOP. I thought I was hot poo poo because it was the second biggest teen channel on DALnet. Her dad would message me and even tried finding voicechat programs so we could talk. He even attached one to an email one time. I wondered why Eudora was taking so drat long to check my mail (keep in mind these were the dial-up days). I quit for a few years, came back and found out some other dude had taken over the channel by hacking her account. He let his nick registration expire, so I registered it, giving me control of the channel. Without the channel password though I couldn't make changes, though I still got OPS. I found an old friend who was very flirty who knew an admin and talked him into thinking I was the actual guy (turns out he knew the guy as well), and he gave me password hints until I figured out it. I eventually got bored again and gave her the channel. I heard she ran into into the ground.

mIRC scripting was awesome though. I made all kinds of channel bots and single and multiplayer games based on DCC chats.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GI_Clutch posted:

Oh man, DALnet. I was way too into IRC in the mid nineties. I pretended to internet date this girl who was the owner of #teenchat and became a SOP. I thought I was hot poo poo because it was the second biggest teen channel on DALnet. Her dad would message me and even tried finding voicechat programs so we could talk.

This, uh, sounds p creepy on said dad's part.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
"dad"

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

feedmegin posted:

This, uh, sounds p creepy on said dad's part.

if you had really naive parents like i did you could make anything sound normal. my parents used to have a strict "no chat room" policy when i was a young kid but i always found ways to describe it as something else that made them go "oh, huh. well don't be going into any chat rooms, okay?"

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
http://simulationcorner.net/index.php?page=sam

I'm thinking this is the C64 voice synth we had. Download it there, 39KB.

And the phonetic alphabet it used

https://github.com/s-macke/SAM/wiki/Phonetic-Alphabet

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Ok so it was pulled from origin last year... Found patches here that work though. http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-1942/Battlefield-1942-on-Windows-10-64-Bit-System-Won-t-launch/m-p/4708890#U4708890

Just played it. SO Awesome!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Ziptar posted:

Still have the original copy I bought in 1984 of this..

Also still have the (un-used) Invisiclues for it.

Nice! Are those like glasses you can't see through or something? I just had a :filez: PC version of this so never knew it came with so much stuff!

quote:

The PC Pocket Ref
Got it shortly after getting my first IT job in 1989. It has BIOS beep codes, on screen error codes, hard drive info, cable pin outs, DOS commands, Manufacturer phone numbers, video info, modem info, ASCII Codes, Hexadecimal charts. It has it all! I still have it, might even be 1st ed. I need to check it.

Surely even by 1989 you couldn't fit info on all hard drives in your pocket?

quote:

MS-DOS with TCP/IP.... May not seem like much now but back in the day booting from a 1.44 floppy and pinging a server or microsoft.com was the shizzle..
You can still experience the power and the glory!! [url="https:////www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Sharing_files_with_DOS"]Read This.[/url]

Most recently I managed to run this under Qemu or Bochs under Windows 8.0, talking to the host. It was a challenge to configure Windows 8 to allow such an old, insecure client to connect!

The Internet Makes You Stupid indeed, I don't understand why I ever found this amusing.

quote:

But What I really miss the most is playing the [url="https:////forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/downloads.php"]Forgotten Hope mod for Battlefield 1942[/url]... Good Times...
It's still out there but, not only can I not find any servers still running it Battle Field 1942 doesn't run on Windows 7 or 10.. :saddowns:

I only ever played FH single player :( I got BF1942 (from CDs, not Origin) to work on Windows 8.1 with Update though so there's hope :rimshot:

feedmegin posted:

Same. Jeep races, etc.

Ziptar posted:

Exactly this, how is it no other game has done this since. It was basically Grand Theft Battle Ship... Any infantry guy could just grab one and go balls out.

Of course, we did ruin it for people who wanted to play a real war.

My proudest achievement was one time I was goofing off with some other random people I didn't know, doing donuts in a jeep somewhere away from all the objectives, when all the others went off and tried to capture a flag (we had none left at all) but got pinned down by a tank. I eventually noticed they were gone and did my usual "well, I don't give a poo poo about anything so I may as well just drive head on into this tank" and it actually destroyed the tank and we got to recapture our base. They were very impressed and asked if I'd like to join their clan. I always thought clans were pretty gay, but I figured that if that kind of idiocy was what they were looking for, it was obviously my kind of clan.

Also taking down planes with bazookas. People would call "hax" but they didn't know how many times I'd missed before I finally got them.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

another fun quirk of bf1942 was that every soldier had a parachute which deployed instantly. so you could jump from any height, activate your parachute an inch above the ground, and survive with no problems. which meant that you could lurk on top of buildings, wait for an enemy to pass by below you, and then jump off and kill him with collision damage then activate your chute. so you could just go around goombah stomping nazis to death. god drat that game owned

Wow I never knew you could do that. My ping was probably too high to try timing the chute activation that closely.

If you don't want to install patches that aren't from EA (it's probably just a no CD crack), https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255 has instructions on how to work around the removal of securom from Windows. Basically start an Administrator Command Prompt, then:

sc config secdrv start=demand
sc start secdrv

then play the game, then when you're done run:

sc stop secdrv
sc config secdrv start=disabled

Your PC is more prone to being hacked while that service is enabled, though.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Bonzo posted:

img src="c:\MY DESKTOP\PICTURES\ITEMS\IMG9234-135235234.jpg"

I remember that too :negative:

GI_Clutch posted:

I found an old friend who was very flirty who knew an admin and talked him into thinking I was the actual guy (turns out he knew the guy as well), and he gave me password hints until I figured out it.

Uh-oh, sounds like the kind of bad adminning I might have done. DCC SEND me a picture of your friend so I can see if I recognize her :v:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

feedmegin posted:

Battlefield 1942 was magical. I'll admit that's some nostalgia speaking but the other half is the pure chaos of a server crumbling while dozens of idiots on 56k modems dangle off of it.

The vehicle system was pure arcade-y chaotic hilarity. The next Battlefield game really should revert to the simpler physics engine, or at least implement it as a server configuration option.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

... (in his Mario voice) 'Thank you very much-a!!!"
:toot::toot::toot:

This is awesome

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

remember when memes were still called image macros?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I still call them that.

That reminds me, my girlfriend spends entirely too much time on imgur and reads poo poo off to me from it a lot, and half the time it's like these giant multiple paragraph long stories and they still put em on a fuckin image macro. Your goddamn penguin is drowning in all those words, people. if it takes more than two lines of text, don't make it a drat image macro.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

GI_Clutch posted:

mIRC scripting was awesome though. I made all kinds of channel bots and single and multiplayer games based on DCC chats.

I used to hang out in a channel where one of the guys ran mIRC scripted RPG battles for the rest of the chat once a week. The dude scripted up a new boss with a fresh gimmick each week, and there was a persistent class/level system based roughly on Final Fantasy Tactics. I rarely got to take part, since I was a teenager and it usually ran through dinner due to everyone being on east coast time, but it was pretty impressive all the same.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Buttcoin purse posted:

Nice! Are those like glasses you can't see through or something? I just had a :filez: PC version of this so never knew it came with so much stuff!

Those are peril-sensitive sunglasses, which turn completely dark at the first sign of danger so you don't see anything that might upset you.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just played LOOM all the way through on Steam. Really good game, having no inventory nor verbal interface was revolutionary for 1990. Still kind of is.

Game itself is criminally short, especially considering it came with an audio cassette containing 30 minutes of back story lore.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I used to get annoyed at this distinction and constantly went off on people for not using "meme" correctly until I realised what I was doing was kind of like defending Richard Dawkins so now I don't give a poo poo.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

AvP 2 was unbelievably good. I could never get past the first marine level as a scared babby

hello fellow pussy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

whoa, I've only heard this through Death Grips. I keep waiting for the music to start but it's just crazy man and no cool music :x

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Buttcoin purse posted:

The Internet Makes You Stupid indeed, I don't understand why I ever found this amusing.

And after all these years, with that tune firmly stuck in people's head, someone thought they could get away with copying it almost completely.

http://teneightymagazine.com/2016/01/24/weebl-calls-nickelodeon-video-a-blatant-copy/

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Buttcoin purse posted:

<3 VB (well, you know, for nostalgia's sake, it's not a very nice language) Which version is that?

Is the gift bag a tardis that contains all of those products written on the outside? I saw the YouTube video of the Microsoft archives, I really want to go there and also to the LEGO one. I could probably even handle not touching anything, just looking.

Did FrontPage generate <b><i>bad HTML</b></i> like MS Word did?

Speaking of dev products, did anyone mention Borland products yet? Turbo Pascal, Turbo Basic, Turbo Assembler and Turbo C all deserve some love.

Borland was the enemy when I started at MS. I worked in languages and dev tools and when I was working on Visual Basic and Visual C++ they were the target.

Frontpage was weird because I don't think anyone on the team really understood the potential. I worked on some usability studies on Frontpage 2000 where I would sit in the room with the subject and be "the computer". The usability person was on the other side of the mirrored window giving instructions for our script. The goal was for the user to build a web page and I had a stack of printed out pictures and text blocks that I would put down on their "screen" when they were building their web site on a table

Usability studies were low tech back then. Outlook 97 had something called a Journal view, which would put all your activities on a horizontally scrolling timeline. To test that I made a several foot long paper mockup that the usability subject could "scroll" through, with me being the "computer" and physically moving the long rear end paper mockup so they would see what they wanted to see on their "desktop"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I have some really fond memories of playing this game with my friends. Great game

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Keith Atherton posted:

Borland was the enemy when I started at MS. I worked in languages and dev tools and when I was working on Visual Basic and Visual C++ they were the target.

I used Borland tools back in those days and it seemed very much like Borland got the SDKs from Microsoft at the last minute and jammed them together and shipped the product, but maybe it was just plain bad quality and not the Microsoft dev tools team getting information from the Microsoft OS team much earlier than competing organization's dev teams like I imagined :)

Delphi should have killed VB - Pascal is a way better language than BASIC, I don't know what happened there.

quote:

Usability studies were low tech back then. Outlook 97 had something called a Journal view, which would put all your activities on a horizontally scrolling timeline. To test that I made a several foot long paper mockup that the usability subject could "scroll" through, with me being the "computer" and physically moving the long rear end paper mockup so they would see what they wanted to see on their "desktop"

lol that's crazy, but also 100x more effort than I would have imagined went into testing the usability of a lot of apps. No offense though, I don't recall too many issues with Outlook - I remember the journal view and do look back fondly on Outlook 98 which I still use occasionally due to all the info I have in it. I'm not that fond of it now though - I don't get why Outlook 2007 can't let me do inline replies unless I put it into plain text only mode (through the security settings!), since in RTF or HTML mode it puts a bar down the side of the quoted text and you can't split the bar to show you've typed something. Email has been around for decades, I don't get why this is not something that "just works".

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
where i work they actually spend a lot of time doing usability tests on things but the tests are poorly designed by untrained or incompetent individuals so time spent there just means time wasted. they occasionally stumble onto something good though

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Buttcoin purse posted:

I used Borland tools back in those days and it seemed very much like Borland got the SDKs from Microsoft at the last minute and jammed them together and shipped the product, but maybe it was just plain bad quality and not the Microsoft dev tools team getting information from the Microsoft OS team much earlier than competing organization's dev teams like I imagined :)

Delphi should have killed VB - Pascal is a way better language than BASIC, I don't know what happened there.

lol that's crazy, but also 100x more effort than I would have imagined went into testing the usability of a lot of apps. No offense though, I don't recall too many issues with Outlook - I remember the journal view and do look back fondly on Outlook 98 which I still use occasionally due to all the info I have in it. I'm not that fond of it now though - I don't get why Outlook 2007 can't let me do inline replies unless I put it into plain text only mode (through the security settings!), since in RTF or HTML mode it puts a bar down the side of the quoted text and you can't split the bar to show you've typed something. Email has been around for decades, I don't get why this is not something that "just works".

I can't answer for what Outlook is like now. We did our best for the first version but we were almost all kids on our first serious project. That's the norm at startups I guess now but it's funny looking back and now some people I knew and worked with became executives later or started companies. A guy on my team told me he had an offer at a new game company that some Word guys were founding and turned it down. I wasn't interested either - seemed too risky. Well it was Valve and I kick myself thinking about what could have been.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Outlook is still really good. The only thing it is missing is search capability and spam filter on par with Gmail but theyd need to be mining every users' mail to achieve the sophistication Google does there and I dont think they have the means or the will atm. Moving to a cloud sub based office would poise them to get better at stuff like that even if they cant match gmail :shrug:

PS. Sucks about Valve but what a great story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keith Atherton posted:

A guy on my team told me he had an offer at a new game company that some Word guys were founding and turned it down. I wasn't interested either - seemed too risky. Well it was Valve and I kick myself thinking about what could have been.
That reminds me: There was a cancelled Windows 3.1 port of Doom that Microsoft were working on at some point. Gabe Newell was apparently programming it.

It was cancelled in beta because it was using stuff like Win32s, WinG and other stuff that Windows 95 and DirectX would handle a lot better.