Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Poor Urien. Is there any hope that his lot will improve?

I'm going to put this deck together and try to get a game in with it over the next few days. I'm skeptical, but it might bump him up a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
If they print good Torture cards or torture synergy cards (especially ones that cost 1, so that Urien makes them free), Urien could well improve - as it stands though he is a trait synergy warlord without enough good cards that synergize with the trait in question, and he comes with a downside that makes using him seem a lot less appealing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It doesn't help that the best event in Dark Eldar is not a torture.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

It doesn't help that the best event in Dark Eldar is not a torture.

Yeah. Honestly, I think Urien would be balanced without his downside (maybe knock him back to 7 cards instead of 8 if it seems too good) - with it, he needs to have a really strong suite of Torture cards and Torture synergy cards in order to overcome losing efficient Archon's Terror, Raid, etc.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Looks like I'm picking up a nearly complete set of Conquest for $90, so I'm getting into that. Aside from the Cardgame DB articles, anything good reading? Sites like Stimhack or NetunnerDB?

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Is Warhammer Invasion still worth getting into, or should I just go to 40K Conquest? I am just starting to play these types of games with my kids, so it would be casual play only. I see lots of references to it, but I wasn't sure if was one of those good for its time type games.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Chairman Pow! posted:

Is Warhammer Invasion still worth getting into, or should I just go to 40K Conquest? I am just starting to play these types of games with my kids, so it would be casual play only. I see lots of references to it, but I wasn't sure if was one of those good for its time type games.

If you can find people in your area for Invasion I'd be amazed. That game was dead well before it stopped getting updated. I don't think it's bad, though. If you end up buying everything, decks get really loving crazy though.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

EVGA Longoria posted:

Looks like I'm picking up a nearly complete set of Conquest for $90, so I'm getting into that. Aside from the Cardgame DB articles, anything good reading? Sites like Stimhack or NetunnerDB?

Most discussion for Conquest is over on the CardgameDB forums and card/deck pages, though there are also decks posted on conquestdb.com (which has a better deckbuilder but less of a discussion community).

Chairman Pow! posted:

Personally I would just play Conquest - it's a more refined version of a similar concept and has a much more active community.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Fetterkey posted:

Personally I would just play Conquest - it's a more refined version of a similar concept and has a much more active community.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I will just go ahead and get on the Conquest train!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

AGoT players, how do we feel about King Robert's Warhammer? I'm trying to build a Bara fealty deck to combat a Lannister/Tyrell deck that's wrecking our LGS, and I"m at 62 cards. A 2-cost +1 STR single-use attachment doesn't look great a first glance. I like the effect if it's attached to Robert or Stannis, and it certainly fits the Kneel theme, but I'm at 62 cards and something has to be cut. Thoughts?

On second thought I might cut Lightbringer since its even more situational. Nevermind it's killer on Robert as well. Keeping this

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 6, 2016

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
I recently went ahead and bought 4 core sets of AGoT and the 2 expansions to build 3 or 4 decks to play melee with friends. Before that, we were just playing with one Core set and the recommended decks from the manual. In those games I had noticed a trend of ganging up on me, so I was looking forward to getting to build a Martell deck to punish this as I played them in first edition to a similar effect. Our sets came in Saturday and I got together with six friends, one of which had also bought 3 cores, and we slapped together decks to play.

The first game the Targ player started Dany in setup as his only character and I told him he should probably make a different play since if someone uses Marched to the Wall she's just going to die immediately. He said he only had one other character he could play and it costs 2, so he might as well play her. I nodded and then picked March to the Wall for my plot since 2 other people started a single character. We had to quit that game and restart because someone had to leave an hour in, but then the Targ player announced that for the next game he's just going to focus on killing me for killing Dany.

So the second game I proceed to just get stomped because he doesn't really care about leaving himself open (and is actually inviting the other players to attack him to get around the "must win a green challenge before you can do a red or blue" on A Game of Thrones as long as they agree to attack me with at least one of those attacks) and his red attacks kill my Bastard Daughters, which were meant to dissuade people from attacking me, and make the table mad at me for making them discard. At turn 3 I accept my fate as the whipping boy and play The Long Plan as my plot and get 8 gold out of it that turn, then turn 4 I play Call the Banners and end up with 23 gold total because they've allowed the Tyrell player to have literally 10 characters out. I run out the rest of my hand with the gold but it's not enough to stop two red attacks from Khal Drogo per turn and I spend the rest of the game with 0 cards in hand, 0 power, 0 characters. Stark player ends up winning due to renown characters and attacking me 3 times unblocked.

I guess my question for people who play AGoT is what can I do about this? I understand when a table of 5 decides to kill you that there's not a whole lot you can do, and there's especially not a lot you can do when one is hellbent on attacking you no matter what, but is there a house or combination I could play to at least stem the bleeding a bit? I like Martell for being able to strip icons with Nymeria and Confinement and they have some punishing aspects, but I'm considering mixing with Lannister for things like Brothel Madame, Tyrion, Jaime to help with red, and The Things I Do For Love.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I guess my question for people who play AGoT is what can I do about this?

Stop playing against people who hold grudges across games.

I played Lannister/Rose and it does a really good job being defensive. Between The Hound ambushing in, Widow's Wail, Brothel Madame, Marge on standby, The Things I Do For Love, and plots like Calm Over Westeros and A Game of Thrones, it somehow discourages people from attacking quite a bit.

But yeah, it sounds like your group is just full of assholes. Sorry, man.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

GrandpaPants posted:

After ignoring advice and warnings, no less.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I played Lannister/Rose and it does a really good job being defensive. Between The Hound ambushing in, Widow's Wail, Brothel Madame, Marge on standby, The Things I Do For Love, and plots like Calm Over Westeros and A Game of Thrones, it somehow discourages people from attacking quite a bit.

But yeah, it sounds like your group is just full of assholes. Sorry, man.

I started building a Martell/Lion deck this morning and was actually blown away by all the Lannister cards I like so I'll probably take your advice and just go with them. I love Ambush as a surprise mechanic and Tyrion does a good job fueling it. I was worried about red challenges but it seems like there's actually plenty to support it with Jaime or The Hound which I hadn't seen when looking through my cards as no one built Lannister Saturday night.

As for the playgroup, it is what it is really. They're a group of guys that I've played board and card games with for about 15 years so we know each other very well. At the table I took the beating in jest, but it really started to irk me once I got home and I really just want to build something that will (somewhat) weather that kind of assault.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Play Greyjoy/Night's Watch. Take the high initiative plots and then make sure the role you choose each turn(Master of Ships/Coin/etc) can't be has the most limited opportunities to be attacked. Win through Dominance while the other players poke each other or sit there contesting you for it.

Sucks that your group always goes after you, I tend to win a lot of games with my friends but usually they never outright gang up on me unless I take an early lead. Make yourself a small but unappealing target. The porcupine strategy. You can come kick me, but it's going to loving hurt. Greyjoy is good at that.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 9, 2016

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
Yeah pretty lame to hold a grudge like that. Were you using the Titles that are supposed to be used in Melee? If someone supports you they aren't allowed to initiate challenges on you.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

sexart posted:

Yeah pretty lame to hold a grudge like that. Were you using the Titles that are supposed to be used in Melee? If someone supports you they aren't allowed to initiate challenges on you.

Yeah we were using the titles, one time I lucked out and picked a title the guy focusing on me supported. After that they kept making him first player so he could pick Crown Regent so he didn't support anyone and could redirect attacks to me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Yeah we were using the titles, one time I lucked out and picked a title the guy focusing on me supported. After that they kept making him first player so he could pick Crown Regent so he didn't support anyone and could redirect attacks to me.

Yeah, wow, gently caress that group. Sorry, man.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What about on the turns where crown regent wasn't in play?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I think at that point it's OK to suggest that the remaining 3 players should just play amongst themselves because you and that other jerk both have zero chance to win.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

What about on the turns where crown regent wasn't in play?

We were playing with five players, so all of them were in play every turn.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

That sounds like an awful time.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Yeah, there's not really anything you can do in that situation (other than get better friends) - FFAs often have the "team-up" problem and Thrones melee is no exception. There are some plots that could limit the effectiveness of this tactic - Jousting Contest and the like - but when you get right down to it if multiple people want you out and start working towards that early you're probably going to get wrecked.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Go Martel and get your Ghaston Grey on. Its all fun and games picking on someone until YOURE the one that loses their Dany.

Combo that with some Bastard Daughters and just dare people to kill them.

Can also put in Political Disaster, naval, 2 Wildfires and a Marched.

Dont try to win, just be a dick right back. Be the porcupine.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

MisterShine posted:

Go Martel and get your Ghaston Grey on. Its all fun and games picking on someone until YOURE the one that loses their Dany.

Combo that with some Bastard Daughters and just dare people to kill them.

Can also put in Political Disaster, naval, 2 Wildfires and a Marched.

Dont try to win, just be a dick right back. Be the porcupine.

We're on the same page, that was essentially my original deck but the discard from Bastard Daughters due to his red attacks is what turned the table on me. I used Ghaston Grey to try to bounce Robb Stark on the last turn to prevent the Stark player from winning with the Renown on him, but he sacrificed Bran to counter it (he was on the other side of the round table and I couldn't see so I didn't realize Bran only counters Events until I looked him up just now, I just kind of foggily remembered that you sac him to counter something while we were playing).

I love Ghaston Grey and Areo Hotah but I think I've settled on Lannister for the sheer amount of red Ambush they can throw out to at least protect my characters. And yeah, I'm running 2 Wildfires, 2 Varys, and a Marched to the Wall because gently caress all that getting out of control over there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So Syrio is incredible in my Lannister fealty deck, holy crap. Really plugs the hole in the deck (military) and also plays to the strengths by letting someone like Cersei have stealth. Soooo good. Three games in a row I've managed to just shut down the other player by taking 2 or more cards every turn with intrigue. I even had a powerplay first round with Wardens of the West that completely stopped a Targaryen deck in it's tracks. It feels like the most control-style deck in 2nd edition.

quote:

Control & Economy

House Lannister / Fealty

Packs: From Core Set (3) to The Road to Winterfell

Plots
1x A Game of Thrones (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Filthy Accusations (Core Set)
1x Heads on Spikes (Core Set)
1x Marched to the Wall (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)
1x Wardens of the West (The Road to Winterfell)

Characters
3x Cersei Lannister (Core Set)
3x Grand Maester Pycelle (Core Set)
3x Ser Jaime Lannister (Core Set)
3x The Tickler (Core Set)
3x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
3x Tywin Lannister (Core Set)
3x Lannisport Moneylender (Core Set)
3x Lannisport Merchant (Core Set)
3x The Queen's Assassin (Core Set)
3x The Hound (Taking the Black)
3x Brothel Madame (The Road to Winterfell)
3x Syrio Forel (The Road to Winterfell)

Locations
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
3x Casterly Rock (Core Set)
3x Lannisport (Core Set)

Attachment
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)

Events
3x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
3x The Things I Do For Love (Core Set)
3x Treachery (Core Set)

The idea is an intrigue heavy deck that has a ton of bonuses to winning intrigue and econ to pay for the strong characters. Cersei, Queens Assassin, Tears of Lys, Wardens of the West, Casterly Rock, A Game of Thrones, and Heads on Spikes all completely demolish their hands and control the board each turn. Brothel Madame and Tyrio pay for events and buff Tywin. Tears, Milk, Filthy Accusations, The Things I do for Love all handle any threats I need to target. It's a blast.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 9, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

At the end of the day, no faction is going to be able to withstand a sustained assault. Even getting hit with 2 military challenges in one turn pretty much hurts. If you're playing for mutually assured destruction, it's not really playing the game much at all.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Does anyone have some decklists I can build from 1 core set that will be balanced for 1v1 battles?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pretty much smash two of the factions together and split up the neutrals pretty equally and go at it. With one core set a lot of games will come down to who draws the big guys, since there's not enough consistency to build any real synergy.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Allright so I didn't actually take the time to sit down with OCTGN to try out LOTR. After watching all the Watch It Played LOTR video's (about a dozen in total), I was convinced. So now there's a core set on its way in the mail, and I have a OHUH set aside for me at the LGS.

Just a few questions while :f5: the mailbox and reading the OHUH rulebook:

What's the deal with the Sack keyword? The rules explain how to apply the trigger, but they don't give an example of the effect.

I'm not in love with the Treasure mechanic. How hosed are you in the second scenario if you don't find (for instance) Sting in the first scenario? The way I see it, if you beat part 1 and don't get the treasures, and you need to have the treasure to beat part 2, you'll be forced to slog through part 1 again. If you don't need the treasure to beat part 2, then what's the use for the mechanic in the first place?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

theroachman posted:

Allright so I didn't actually take the time to sit down with OCTGN to try out LOTR. After watching all the Watch It Played LOTR video's (about a dozen in total), I was convinced. So now there's a core set on its way in the mail, and I have a OHUH set aside for me at the LGS.

Just a few questions while :f5: the mailbox and reading the OHUH rulebook:

What's the deal with the Sack keyword? The rules explain how to apply the trigger, but they don't give an example of the effect.

I'm not in love with the Treasure mechanic. How hosed are you in the second scenario if you don't find (for instance) Sting in the first scenario? The way I see it, if you beat part 1 and don't get the treasures, and you need to have the treasure to beat part 2, you'll be forced to slog through part 1 again. If you don't need the treasure to beat part 2, then what's the use for the mechanic in the first place?

You're never supposed to have to have the treasures. You can start any scenario on its own AFAIK or play them as part of a campaign if you want. Treasures are only used if you're playing a campaign. Even if you have them in your deck, there's no guarantee that it won't be the bottom card of your stack and never show up.

Treasures are treasures! They're really powerful rare cards you're not allowed to include in your deck unless you earn them temporarily as part of a campaign. Its a kinda fun way to say "you kicked rear end on the last level so now you've got a leg-up to help you on the next level". And it lets them include cards like Sting and Glamdring without having to nerf them to being weaker than they should be according to the fiction.

LOTR LCG is pretty fun times.

Sack is a little tricky but its the unique thing that makes that whole encounter with the trolls really exciting / nasty

quote:

Sack X
When the keyword Sack X is triggered by the encounter deck, the first player draws the top X cards from the sack deck and resolves the “When Sacked” effects on those cards. If players are instructed to draw multiple cards from the sack deck, those cards are drawn and resolved one at a time.
If the Sack X keyword is triggered and there are no cards remaining in the sack deck, the Sack X effect is ignored. If a Sack card leaves play for any reason, shuffle it back into the sack deck.
When resolving the “when sacked” text on a sack card, if there are two or more eligible targets for that card the first player must choose one. If a sack card instructs players to select a target that is not eligible, the first player must choose an eligible target. If there are no eligible targets, shuffle the Sack card back into the sack deck.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Speaking of Hobbit how am I supposed to kill the trolls when I can only send one guy to attack them?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Baron Porkface posted:

Speaking of Hobbit how am I supposed to kill the trolls when I can only send one guy to attack them?

You can attack 1 enemy with multiple guys in LOTR. You can only block with 1 guy though.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

theroachman posted:

If you meant what Sacks actually do, there's a mini deck of (iirc) 7 sack cards, that attach to characters with (the most willpower, the most defense, the most printed hit points, etc) and stop them from readying, attacking, defending, committing to the quest and triggering abilities. It's just one of many quest specific mechanics you get in LOTR, in this case people getting stuffed in bags.

Except Gandalf, who cannot be sacked.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Single Tight Female posted:

If you meant what Sacks actually do, there's a mini deck of (iirc) 7 sack cards, that attach to characters with (the most willpower, the most defense, the most printed hit points, etc) and stop them from readying, attacking, defending, committing to the quest and triggering abilities. It's just one of many quest specific mechanics you get in LOTR, in this case people getting stuffed in bags.

Except Gandalf, who cannot be sacked.
When we played that quest, Elrond, mighty half-elven Lord of Rivendell and Herald of the Great Host of the Second Age, was the first character to be stuck in a smelly sack by some random troll. Good times.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

You can attack 1 enemy with multiple guys in LOTR. You can only block with 1 guy though.

Tom the Troll prevents trolls from being attacked by more than one character

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Baron Porkface posted:

If your playing with 1 core run Gimli and make sure he's charged up with damage and use Gandalf's damaging effect? Should take tom down pretty quick.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Baron Porkface posted:

ahhhh. Its been a long time since I played that. Sorry.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Okay, thanks for the clarifications.

I was indeed asking what the Sack mechanic does, should have made that clearer. At first I thought it was meant in the sense of sacking a city, but I get it now, it's an actual sack you put a character in. FFG really do know how to do top-down design, don't they? If only they knew how to use consistent templating of rules text... (you can probably tell I'm a recovering M:TG player)

Treasures still sound a bit like lazy design though. Making a couple of overpowered cards and then basically banning them outright except for in some specific situation. But I guess it's an interesting exploration of the design space and it can be ignored so it doesn't really bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

theroachman posted:

Treasures still sound a bit like lazy design though. Making a couple of overpowered cards and then basically banning them outright except for in some specific situation. But I guess it's an interesting exploration of the design space and it can be ignored so it doesn't really bother me.

It's more that they are just VPs in single scenarios, but can be a bonus in campaigns