Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Tekopo posted:

answers.txt

Thanks! That's very helpful. How impactful is it to not have higher PS / have initiative in a dodger vs. dodger endgame? Is it so swingy that the one with the advantage wins regardless of how low he is on HP/Shields?

Also, does the prevalence of TLT mean that arc-dodging (and thus, pilot skill/initiative) isn't as useful? Turrets are 360, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

Other arc-dodgers. If you face a semi mirror match, you want the edge that the initiative bid gives you. It's massively important.

:facepalm: Oh, of course, thanks. I'm playing only with friends in EmpireVsRebs games, so I didn't even think about this possibility.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of which, are there many PS 9 "anti Arc Dodgers" pilots? Most of the guys I see on lists around here are either PS 10 (Poe+VI) or PS 7-8 without VI. If that's the case, the initiative bid seems less important with Whisper, Vader or Soontir, which are my go to Arc Dodgers.

Related: Can you use cheat sheets with ship movement in stores or tournaments? Everything besides "the B-Wing flies like a rock" is beyond me ATM.

Yes. Ship dials are open knowledge and each expansion comes with a reference chart that they instruct you to retain for this purpose (though no one does and having your own overall reference chart serves the same function and should be fine.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Thanks! That's very helpful. How impactful is it to not have higher PS / have initiative in a dodger vs. dodger endgame? Is it so swingy that the one with the advantage wins regardless of how low he is on HP/Shields?
Good flying can win you the game even if it comes down to dodger vs dodger or even dodger vs non-dodgers. You can put your opponent into situations where even if you have the initiative advantage of moving last, they are at a disadvantage: this is mostly done with the help of the edge of the board/with obstacles. Even then, the ship that moves second will still have a bit of an advantage. The only situation in which the advantage is nullified is in a joust, since the ship that moves first also gets to shoot first, potentially giving the other ship a crippling crit of some kind.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Also, does the prevalence of TLT mean that arc-dodging (and thus, pilot skill/initiative) isn't as useful? Turrets are 360, right?

Many arc dodgers will commonly be equipped with Autothrusters (http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Autothrusters) which gives some advantage to attempting to remain out of arc versus turreted ships.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

On average, TLT shouldn't do any damage to autothrusters arc-dodgers without counting focus, but you can't really rely on green dice. The ships that really suffer from TLTs are 1 (or even 2) agility ships.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

On average, TLT shouldn't do any damage to autothrusters arc-dodgers without counting focus, but you can't really rely on green dice. The ships that really suffer from TLTs are 1 (or even 2) agility ships.

The likelihood of blanking out on a defense roll directly proportional to both the relative importance of the ship making the roll, and the number of combined hits/crits rolled in the attack.

The actual number of defense dice rolled has no bearing on the above relationship.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Otisburg posted:

Many arc dodgers will commonly be equipped with Autothrusters (http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Autothrusters) which gives some advantage to attempting to remain out of arc versus turreted ships.

Neat! Very glad I bought the StarViper pack now (;

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright so, considering the average of 1.5 hits for the unfocused TLT against an unfocused autothruster 3 agility ship, if we assume that 2 evades+ will avoid damage, autothrusters have a 68.55% chance of avoiding damage :eng101:

EDIT: If anyone wants to check my maths out: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C8hTnDloA5UtkGUmTKzBlRJaz4w-pXoEuvNZ_A3cocs/edit?usp=sharing Also note that I've called 'evade' results as hits on the first column for some reason.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 10, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Otisburg posted:

Yes. Ship dials are open knowledge and each expansion comes with a reference chart that they instruct you to retain for this purpose (though no one does and having your own overall reference chart serves the same function and should be fine.)

Thanks, I'll use them to lull my opponent into a false true sense of security.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
So I flew bro bots for the second time ever the other day.

I decided to go for a slightly different build than what you see normally and I really like it. IG88B (because why would you ever not fly B) & C, both with ion cannons, ion bombs, autothrusters, inertial dampners, advanced sensors, PTL and the title. Definitely lacks the punch of HLC + FCS but is significantly more agile, unpredictable and annoying.

I initially wanted to put flechette cannons on instead of the ion bombs but realised I dont have the cards because I haven't bought any Scyks. The idea being one IG ions, the other stresses and then they can't clear stress so you can pick them apart. The ion bombs were okay but I think I'll just proxy the cannons next time.

Even without the flechette cannons the amount of control you have is crazy. I flew against Han Solo and he kept having to boost instead of take offensive or defensive actions to make sure that if he got ioned it would at least take a few turns of focus fire to corral him off the board.

Advanced Sensors with PTL is also great with them because they have so much green on their dial. You can AdvS boost to get a free evade from IG88C then PTL for a focus or target lock before doing one of your 9 green maneuvers to clear the stress all while being incredibly unpredictable. I can tell you from experience that AdvS boosting and then 3 slooping covers a lot of ground and can get you some very unpredictable attack vectors. It is also a very easy way to fly off the board.

Played two games and both time my opponents conceded. Never dropped down to hull with either of my ships in both games.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
How available are alt art cards for this game? I practised some Googlefu and noticed that some cards that are used in popular lists are available as alt-arts (Gold Squadron Pilot, Bandit Squadron Pilot, Darth Vader, Han Solo, Soontir Fel etc). Are they prohibitively difficult to obtain? If not, they could be cheap ways for new players like me to save some money.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Not really sure how they are going to save you money. You still need the model in question and if you buy the model, you get the non alt-art card. The alt-art cards are tourney rewards and their availability/price can vary. There are some alt-art cards that might be worth getting (i'm annoyed at missing out on C3P0) but it might be still cheaper just to buy the card separately rather than get alt-cards.

EDIT: Also, really, you should only need cards if you are going to tourneys. I usually just print off my lists. Much easier.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 10, 2016

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
That's a good point, I could just print off my lists. What website do you use for that?

It's even more relevant considering how my country (Singapore) won't be having any tournaments for this year due to some licensing issue or something.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

nyxnyxnyx posted:

How available are alt art cards for this game? I practised some Googlefu and noticed that some cards that are used in popular lists are available as alt-arts (Gold Squadron Pilot, Bandit Squadron Pilot, Darth Vader, Han Solo, Soontir Fel etc). Are they prohibitively difficult to obtain? If not, they could be cheap ways for new players like me to save some money.

Even assuming you have a model from somewhere, say you got a y-wing from Most Wanted. You need the cardboard base with the stats/name on it, and you need the Rebel Y-Wing dial. Scum has different dials. That means you need to buy a Y-Wing expansion anyway. Same with Darth Vader, Han Solo. Sure you could get Imp. Aces and then an alt art Soontir Fel, but in most cases you can't get away with just getting the pilot card without the base and dial for the ship, even if you scrounged up the model from elsewhere.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Even assuming you have a model from somewhere, say you got a y-wing from Most Wanted. You need the cardboard base with the stats/name on it, and you need the Rebel Y-Wing dial. Scum has different dials. That means you need to buy a Y-Wing expansion anyway. Same with Darth Vader, Han Solo. Sure you could get Imp. Aces and then an alt art Soontir Fel, but in most cases you can't get away with just getting the pilot card without the base and dial for the ship, even if you scrounged up the model from elsewhere.

Rebel Y-Wings and Scum Y-Wings actually have different dials? drat o_o

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

nyxnyxnyx posted:

That's a good point, I could just print off my lists. What website do you use for that?

It's even more relevant considering how my country (Singapore) won't be having any tournaments for this year due to some licensing issue or something.
I use this builder. You can link it using facebook, it saves squadrons, prints everything nicely, is easily exported. Doesn't work well on phones though.

jassi007 posted:

Actually dials don't matter, as per the FAQ you can use scum dials on rebel ships and vice versa. You still need the correct base though, which means that you need to buy the rebel Y-Wing expansion anyway.

EDIT: They are the same dial, they just have different art/look, but functionally they are the same. After some people complaining about it, they changed the ruling so that dials don't have to be of the faction that you are flying. This is mostly for Z-95s, because it means that you can fly rebel Zs as long as you have the proper bases from Most Wanted, without worrying about the dial.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 10, 2016

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Different colors. The maneuvers are identical, and can be used interchangeably.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Rebel Y-Wings and Scum Y-Wings actually have different dials? drat o_o

Just different face and back colors, but I carry around a dual set of Z95 dials in case I'm flying against a scum/rebel list so dial confusion doesn't happen. Of course, once custom dials are released this point is moot.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Tekopo posted:

Can you elaborate on the maths behind 0.6 and 1.66? Is that per shot against the stealthed up ship?

It's the total amount of damage you can expect the device to prevent, on average. (if you don't have any shots that would do at least 2 hits before accounting for the stealth device)

The reason is, if you receive a shot that would do 0 hits before accounting for stealth device, stealth device doesn't matter, so you look at the shots that would do 1 hit. You save a health for each of those that stealth device prevents, and then stop counting when one gets through (because stealth device falls off). So this is equivalent to the problem of "you have a biased coin that flips heads with probability p, how many heads will you get on average before the first time you get tails", and there's a pretty simple proof that this comes out to p/(1-p). So in the non-focus case, this is (3/8) / (5/8) = 0.6, in the focus case this is (5/8)/(3/8) ~= 1.66.

This all becomes more complicated if you only focus sometimes, or if there are some shots which do have a decent chance of doing at least 2 hits before accounting for the stealth device, but it's a decent guideline. In particular, I think it shows why stealth device is so good with, say, soontir - he'll generally be focused when taking shots, and his evade is good enough that it's pretty rare for him to be taking shots that would do 2 hits before stealth device is counted, so you get pretty close to the maximum value of 1.66. Which means you're getting 5/3 of a shield upgrade for 3/4 of the price.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's the total amount of damage you can expect the device to prevent, on average. (if you don't have any shots that would do at least 2 hits before accounting for the stealth device)

The reason is, if you receive a shot that would do 0 hits before accounting for stealth device, stealth device doesn't matter, so you look at the shots that would do 1 hit. You save a health for each of those that stealth device prevents, and then stop counting when one gets through (because stealth device falls off). So this is equivalent to the problem of "you have a biased coin that flips heads with probability p, how many heads will you get on average before the first time you get tails", and there's a pretty simple proof that this comes out to p/(1-p). So in the non-focus case, this is (3/8) / (5/8) = 0.6, in the focus case this is (5/8)/(3/8) ~= 1.66.

This all becomes more complicated if you only focus sometimes, or if there are some shots which do have a decent chance of doing at least 2 hits before accounting for the stealth device, but it's a decent guideline. In particular, I think it shows why stealth device is so good with, say, soontir - he'll generally be focused when taking shots, and his evade is good enough that it's pretty rare for him to be taking shots that would do 2 hits before stealth device is counted, so you get pretty close to the maximum value of 1.66. Which means you're getting 5/3 of a shield upgrade for 3/4 of the price.
This seems to make sense, thanks for elaborating! :) By the way, I did some more calculations: with 3 dice and autothrusters, the average number of evades that you roll without a focus is ~1.88, while with a focus it is a whopping ~2.63! Which shows that Soontir does indeed provide a lot of value on a Stealth Device as you pointed out.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I use this builder. You can link it using facebook, it saves squadrons, prints everything nicely, is easily exported. Doesn't work well on phones though.

Actually dials don't matter, as per the FAQ you can use scum dials on rebel ships and vice versa. You still need the correct base though, which means that you need to buy the rebel Y-Wing expansion anyway.

EDIT: They are the same dial, they just have different art/look, but functionally they are the same. After some people complaining about it, they changed the ruling so that dials don't have to be of the faction that you are flying. This is mostly for Z-95s, because it means that you can fly rebel Zs as long as you have the proper bases from Most Wanted, without worrying about the dial.

Thanks, that is a neat website! Are there other websites that are more visual? I like looking at the cards and it's helpful to put a face to the name as a new player.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Do you mean in terms of the art of the ship itself? I don't think any website has the art, but there is this builder as well.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I mean a picture of the card.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

nyxnyxnyx posted:

I mean a picture of the card.

The X Wing Miniatures Wiki has pictures of all the cards, but I don't know a squadron builder that incorporates them. Pity, because it would be helpful.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Android app named "X-Wing Squadron Builder" has card photos as well

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Punishing one spoiled:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/10/payback/

Holy gently caress some of these upgrades.

Look at that Dengar crew- dayum son.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I almost want to get it just for the Rage card so I can put it on Tycho. Between that and PtL I'm gonna be stacking stress tokens up to the goddamn ceiling.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Punishing one spoiled:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/10/payback/

Holy gently caress some of these upgrades.

Look at that Dengar crew- dayum son.
Dengar is good, Rage is good, Boba Fett is really good as well. Almost wish he was a rebel so that I could put him on Ten Numb :allears:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Motherfucking FINALLY https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/10/payback/

Rage: Action, take one focus and two stress, and you can reroll up to 3 dice when attacking this round. 1

Attani Mindlink: each time you get a stress or focus, each other pilot with this EPT must also take one if they don't already have one. Manaroo + this one two pilots. 1 per copy.

GONK: Action: put one shield token on this card. Action: put one shield token from this card on your ship to a max of your shield value. Nice, especially to slowroll with. 2

r5P8: 1/round after defending, roll an attack, on a hit the attacker take a damage on a crit the defender and attacker each take a damage. 3

Boba Crew what the gently caress!!! 1 point after attacking if a faceup card was dealt, discard to foorce the defender to discard one of his upgrades holy poo poo. Scum only though, no imp version yet. gently caress you superdash.

Generic JM5k is 25 points, so 4 in a list potentiall could be hilarious.

Motherfucking Dengar crew: inverse predator. Reroll a die when attacking, 2 if they're a unique pilot. 3 points.

No overc... astr...

Dial: all the 1/2 manoeuvres, green straights and lefts, white rights, white 2 sloop left red 2 sloop right, 3 bank, 3 straight, 4 straight, 4k.

Goddamn am I pumped now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I almost want to get it just for the Rage card so I can put it on Tycho. Between that and PtL I'm gonna be stacking stress tokens up to the goddamn ceiling.

Man PTL/RAGE on Tycho is gonna be nice.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Boba Fett crew seems insane, Dengar crew is realgood, the ship has a goddamn white S-Loop what the gently caress.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So the YV-666 is extremely good with with Gonk/Bossk/Gunner/Engine Upgrade, or even without EI. You can stall at the start to build up the gonk battery, and still do loads of damage even if you don't have any tokens thanks to gunner/bossk!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You can load up a generic with Dengar, PTL, and title for as much as Chewie naked. Hnnng.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Man PTL/RAGE on Tycho is gonna be nice.
Also EI added as well :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Also EI added as well :v:

Eh, maybe, but Tycho still REALLY wants autothrusters.

Boba crew is the absolute loving business, gently caress you Emperor Palpatine.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The asymmetric dial is interesting. Any other ship has it so far?

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Dengar is good, Rage is good, Boba Fett is really good as well. Almost wish he was a rebel so that I could put him on Ten Numb :allears:

Put him on a missile ship with Adv. Homing Missiles.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

The asymmetric dial is interesting. Any other ship has it so far?

Nope, this is the first.

Unhinged Astromech in this is gonna be baller. 9 green moves, including a 1 hard turn. And predictable, but also unpredictable, you get stressed you really wanna do that 1 turn - but you can also screw with your opponent and do a white sloop.

I'm still thinking Dengar/Talonbane PS11 bros right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Raging Keyan Farlander could be fun.

• Locked thread