Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm playing the game for basically the first time, not counting a run where I barely got out of the tutorial dungeon. It was humming along decently until I got to the Matador at level 15 (I know a bit of the game from LPs but I honestly thought he appeared later than he did): I grinded three levels to get a wind-immune demon with media, learned tarukaja and bought a few dekaja rocks and beat him with two demons dead, him with max agility and me with max physical power just praying for one of my punches to land, it was loving awesome. Now I'm in a tunnel where everything poisons me and I'm regretting not passing on the antidote spell from High Pixie. I don't think I've loved a JRPG like this since Dragon Quest VIII, punching demons to death is great and I love the battle system and music. I loved Persona 4 when I played it but this just blows it out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm probably going to stream my first time playing it soon.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm playing the game for basically the first time, not counting a run where I barely got out of the tutorial dungeon. It was humming along decently until I got to the Matador at level 15 (I know a bit of the game from LPs but I honestly thought he appeared later than he did): I grinded three levels to get a wind-immune demon with media, learned tarukaja and bought a few dekaja rocks and beat him with two demons dead, him with max agility and me with max physical power just praying for one of my punches to land, it was loving awesome. Now I'm in a tunnel where everything poisons me and I'm regretting not passing on the antidote spell from High Pixie. I don't think I've loved a JRPG like this since Dragon Quest VIII, punching demons to death is great and I love the battle system and music. I loved Persona 4 when I played it but this just blows it out of the water.

It's the best RPG of all time

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I've got Tornado, I've got media, I've got focus and I've got fog breath, let's murder Thor :black101:

e: just as soon as the furry testicles with elephant trunks stop poisoning me.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 9, 2016

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

welcome to true gaming, OP

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

though it's kind of lame if you're just looking up LPs to beat everything

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

*yells into a pillow to contain my rage at gamers who play Single Player games with a bunch of guides and poo poo open*

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Naw, the only thing I'm using guides for is to look at future skills on Magatama, everything else is just what I remember from LP's I watched a few years ago. Really the sum total of what I knew going in was "you want null-force for Matador", I even thought he appeared after the bit with the Mantra instead of before.

Please be kind, gaming senpeis. And thank you for noticing me :shobon:

e: full disclosure, I have been keeping up with the (really excellent) LP going on, but I've already diverged enough from it that it's more a heads up than anything. I've been avoiding re-reading for just that reason. It's in late game now and I haven't re-read any of it so it's less a guide and more a way for me to be excited for what comes next.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 9, 2016

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wormskull posted:

*yells into a pillow to contain my rage at gamers who play Single Player games with a bunch of guides and poo poo open*

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i gotta play this. i liked SMT4 a lot but people (by which i mean the 5 people that post here) tell me this is the real SMT

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

i gotta play this. i liked SMT4 a lot but people (by which i mean the 5 people that post here) tell me this is the real SMT

I'm replaying 4 during breaks at work now and its great but 3 is truly Peak Gaming imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I still haven't played Nocturne yet either

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Nocturnay

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
That feel when someone jacks your Nocturne disc halfway through your first play through and you get blue balls as hell and don't even get to nut

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Dante is a lovely fight

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Dante is a lovely fight

Wrong it pwns. Now gently caress off

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

rediscover posted:

Wrong it pwns. Now gently caress off

Also it's cool as hell that he joins your party

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
that nigga gets like 2 turns on a bad day, the point when you can fight him at first seemed way to early, but obviously i was just a scrub at the time.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

Naw, the only thing I'm using guides for is to look at future skills on Magatama, everything else is just what I remember from LP's I watched a few years ago. Really the sum total of what I knew going in was "you want null-force for Matador", I even thought he appeared after the bit with the Mantra instead of before.

Please be kind, gaming senpeis. And thank you for noticing me :shobon:

e: full disclosure, I have been keeping up with the (really excellent) LP going on, but I've already diverged enough from it that it's more a heads up than anything. I've been avoiding re-reading for just that reason. It's in late game now and I haven't re-read any of it so it's less a guide and more a way for me to be excited for what comes next.

with all due respect, get a grip.

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

hope this comes to ps4

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Raymond Hog posted:

hope this comes to ps4

Yeah

I really like SMT and never finished Nocturne and I can't get into playing it on an emulator for some reasno

Do the pS2 > PS4 games have savestates or anything

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Both are great but Nocturne has better dungeons and some of the best and most challenging boss fights of all time. You'll miss some of the "Quality of Life" improvements as they say in the brain damaged games forum, but that doesn't matter.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

that nigga gets like 2 turns on a bad day, the point when you can fight him at first seemed way to early, but obviously i was just a scrub at the time.

Fa sho fam. You best be hunnid to step to that. Word.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

with all due respect, get a grip.

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im still on the boss in the Internet, I haven't booted up my PS2 since I beat Yakuza 1. And now I'm waist deep in a souls haze, it will be a while before I return to nocturne

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
So I'm about ten hours in, some thoughts from a guy who was previously just another filthy Persona 4 liker-

-This game seems like it has a much more stable difficulty curve than the Persona games- Matador and Dante were kind of a kick in the teeth but they never felt unfair so long as you could withstand their taunt+all party physical stuff (giving Matador focus on top of that was pretty mean though)- especially since you can change resistances pretty easily. Areas that are sort of mindless like Ginza are also brief and more an excuse to get fusion fodder than anything.
-I like the game's tone a lot- a game about demon warlords vying for control after the apocalypse kills most of humanity and Lucifer is sizing you up to be a new lieutenant sounds like it would be Darksiders style , but the game is instead sort of introspective and calm; there's a new normal and you're sort of exploring and sizing it up before deciding how to handle it. There's intensity to it but it's slow burning, which you want in a JRPG; things are building to a head instead of being all THIS IS SUPER URGENT, BY THE WAY YOU CAN PLAY CARD GAMES FOR ULTIMATE WEAPONS NO BIGGIE!!
-You have to be a lot more conservative while fusing, since you don't have stable partners to balance stuff out like in the Persona games and new fusions don't get free skills beyond what they start with and inherit (which I admit I kind of miss). I imagine that with some patience you can do some really cool stuff though- it's a good way to keep the game from feeling unfair, since you can regroup and develop a personal "You came to the wrong neighbourhood motherfucker" party for a tough boss.
-Can I talk about how loving bitching the games' soundtrack is? Because holy poo poo. The stuff around the fiends is particularly good.
-Why would you put the good spot for grinding right after the boss I was three levels underleveled for Atlas you mean fuckers
-I should probably lose the small beer gut I have before making this a halloween costume. Those spandex pants would summon the hell out of muffin-tops.
-I like that different Magatamas give stat boosts on top of your hard stats; it gives a level of adaptability to the customization so even if I'm going full demon puncher I can still do some good damage with Tornado if an enemy is immune to physical.
-Waifus and Husubandos kind of bleh (with the exception of Dante, of course), will have to make do with projecting onto demons. I feel this is the right call.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

*in Games voice* Waifus and Husubandos.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

*in Games voice* Waifus and Husubandos.

Yes, but unironically.

e: if you don't have some sort of crush on Dante I think it means you fail the Voight-Kampff test. :colbert:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 10, 2016

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
*In calm and sincere voice* Waifus and husbandos.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

So I'm about ten hours in, some thoughts from a guy who was previously just another filthy Persona 4 liker-

-This game seems like it has a much more stable difficulty curve than the Persona games- Matador and Dante were kind of a kick in the teeth but they never felt unfair so long as you could withstand their taunt+all party physical stuff (giving Matador focus on top of that was pretty mean though)- especially since you can change resistances pretty easily. Areas that are sort of mindless like Ginza are also brief and more an excuse to get fusion fodder than anything.
-I like the game's tone a lot- a game about demon warlords vying for control after the apocalypse kills most of humanity and Lucifer is sizing you up to be a new lieutenant sounds like it would be Darksiders style , but the game is instead sort of introspective and calm; there's a new normal and you're sort of exploring and sizing it up before deciding how to handle it. There's intensity to it but it's slow burning, which you want in a JRPG; things are building to a head instead of being all THIS IS SUPER URGENT, BY THE WAY YOU CAN PLAY CARD GAMES FOR ULTIMATE WEAPONS NO BIGGIE!!
-You have to be a lot more conservative while fusing, since you don't have stable partners to balance stuff out like in the Persona games and new fusions don't get free skills beyond what they start with and inherit (which I admit I kind of miss). I imagine that with some patience you can do some really cool stuff though- it's a good way to keep the game from feeling unfair, since you can regroup and develop a personal "You came to the wrong neighbourhood motherfucker" party for a tough boss.
-Can I talk about how loving bitching the games' soundtrack is? Because holy poo poo. The stuff around the fiends is particularly good.
-Why would you put the good spot for grinding right after the boss I was three levels underleveled for Atlas you mean fuckers
-I should probably lose the small beer gut I have before making this a halloween costume. Those spandex pants would summon the hell out of muffin-tops.
-I like that different Magatamas give stat boosts on top of your hard stats; it gives a level of adaptability to the customization so even if I'm going full demon puncher I can still do some good damage with Tornado if an enemy is immune to physical.
-Waifus and Husubandos kind of bleh (with the exception of Dante, of course), will have to make do with projecting onto demons. I feel this is the right call.

#Winning

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I never said "Waifus and husbandos" in my smt iii thread

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

^^ my favorite part

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm replaying 4 during breaks at work now and its great but 3 is truly Peak Gaming imo

4 is good but it's too easy for even a bad player like me, it's all downhill after Medusa. Still an A+ game but I like the difficulty bite of other SMT games.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Adlai Stevenson posted:

4 is good but it's too easy for even a bad player like me, it's all downhill after Medusa. Still an A+ game but I like the difficulty bite of other SMT games.

i had to play the game on easy until my party got more fleshed out, like deep into the underground city and stuff. im not used to rpgs being so brutal

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

i had to play the game on easy until my party got more fleshed out, like deep into the underground city and stuff. im not used to rpgs being so brutal

:eng99:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sorry, i found it really annoying when my party wiped if the enemy ever got the first turn in conjunction with the overworld being a pile of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

sorry, i found it really annoying when my party wiped if the enemy ever got the first turn in conjunction with the overworld being a pile of poo poo

Sigh...

• Locked thread