Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is there such a thing as a solid wood mattress topper? I'm thinking something with similar give to 1/4" plywood but made nicely to sleep on on top of a regular mattress. A few years ago I was forced by circumstance to sleep on the floor of my house for a while, and it was the best sleep I ever had. Since then I've wanted to sleep on the floor but my wife refuses to. Possibly a crazy request, but if anyone knows of such a thing please let me know!

Actually a coworker just borrowed my truck to pick up one of those for your exact same situation. It's called a "bunky board", which I had never heard in my life before that. They're made to go under the mattress but you can just put it on top. If you get a twin or full size one you can just have it on your side. I don't get you guys but if that doesn't kill your back like it would mine go grab one at target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Actually a coworker just borrowed my truck to pick up one of those for your exact same situation. It's called a "bunky board", which I had never heard in my life before that. They're made to go under the mattress but you can just put it on top. If you get a twin or full size one you can just have it on your side. I don't get you guys but if that doesn't kill your back like it would mine go grab one at target.

I'll go check this out on the weekend. Hard to get an idea of exactly how it would work on top of my bed from pictures.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

I don't have personal experience with using them, however I was a psychology student in college and interned with a few therapists and sun boxes were always their recommendation. This was several years ago and I've heard through the grapevine that medication is now much preferred because it's what insurance companies want to cover.

Both probably work at the end of the day, but I'd guess that medication is generally more effective for larger swaths of the population (and probably cheaper as well). I'd ask your doctor about them.

I don't think vitamin D does a whole lot for SAD.

I don't think vitamin d pills do a whole lot of anything because a lot of times they're not well absorbed.

D supplements and foods rich in it in combination with sunlight are your best bet, afaik. Milk for example, if you can tolerate it.

/Not a doc

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I've been taking these Zinc lozenges that have vitamins C & D in them, along with some herbals, and a lovely dose of cherry flavour. Oh man, do they ever make me happy.

Wintertime, it's easy to stay in and watch TV, or waste days when you have free time. Feels good during the summer when you go out during the day and have a bit of an adventure. Some winter days you get to the end of the day, it's dark and cold out, and you know you didn't do anything cool all day, and it sucks. Makes it easy to get sad. I'm just saying there's a lot of legit reasons, including S.A.D., to feel lovely in the winter. Try to cover all the bases. I'm going to the pool on Thursday for the first time ever! I'm really scared/excited, but I'll feel good about myself that I did it on Thursday night.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

I didn't want to bother The Goon Doctor with this because they talk about what treats to bring the nurses all the time, but this is slightly different.

What would be the best food-presents to bring a big office full of social workers, psych nurses, psychiatrists, therapists etc? They are VERY busy, understaffed and underfunded, & often work with homeless and/or combative clients.

I can bake and cook but I'm on a budget. Not sure what would be best to thank this crowd.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Edible Arrangements if they got em where you're at. Not exactly cheap, but if you're on a budget they have little boxes of dipped fruit and whatever.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

timefly posted:

I didn't want to bother The Goon Doctor with this because they talk about what treats to bring the nurses all the time, but this is slightly different.

What would be the best food-presents to bring a big office full of social workers, psych nurses, psychiatrists, therapists etc? They are VERY busy, understaffed and underfunded, & often work with homeless and/or combative clients.

I can bake and cook but I'm on a budget. Not sure what would be best to thank this crowd.

Chocolate chip and if you feel ambitious, oatmeal raisin cookies. Relatively inexpensive, easy to make, and easy to divvy up. If you want to go the extra mile, maybe see if you can find a vegetarian (egg-less) recipe, but I wouldn't make it a priority.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

timefly posted:

You want like, two sorts of options. Something kind of savory and something with sugar and butter. Just make molasses cookies or something for the latter, for the former go with scones or oatmeal muffins.

If you're not baking, a veggie dip would be ok, or a tray of bruschetta, something like that.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Annoying specific question time..

Can anyone think of a well known (or at least not obscure) song that has a specific word in the tittle or main verse that rhymes with "Maelie"?

Maelie is a name that is very very uncommon here and is pronounced may-lee, without any pause Between syllables.

Also,

What is the general opinion of getting PC game discs polished by a machine at a store? I hear a lot of conflicting stories. I have a lot of discs with surface marks, not paticually deep but installation is not possible due to inability to read sections of the disc.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

504 posted:

What is the general opinion of getting PC game discs polished by a machine at a store? I hear a lot of conflicting stories. I have a lot of discs with surface marks, not paticually deep but installation is not possible due to inability to read sections of the disc.

I worked for a while at a dvd rental store back when that was a thing and our disc resufacing machines worked like 90% of the time. It looks really scary, as it basically sandpapers and then polishes the disc surface, but it works. Turns out most scratches are superficial.

I would be more careful with cheapish cd-rw's and really really old discs. Early cd-roms kinda sucked and the cheap ones have a habit of simply wearing out. There's a good chance older games can be found on GoG or Abandonia in a worst case scenario though. Check first, of course.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

504 posted:

Can anyone think of a well known (or at least not obscure) song that has a specific word in the tittle or main verse that rhymes with "Maelie"?

Maelie is a name that is very very uncommon here and is pronounced may-lee, without any pause Between syllables.

Also,

"Kayleigh" by Marillion

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Windows computer just installed updated graphics drivers and now I have this AMD Gaming Evolved thing. What the hell is it and does it do anything useful? It's got lots of stuff about overlays and chat and stuff, like it's trying to duplicate what Steam already does? IDGI. And it wants to "optimize" my games. What does that mean?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is registered mail the best option to send mail to a credit reporting agency? Have to request a replacement pin to remove a credit freeze.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

SlayVus posted:

Is registered mail the best option to send mail to a credit reporting agency? Have to request a replacement pin to remove a credit freeze.

If you just want verification that you sent it and they received it, certified with return receipt is the way to go. Registered mail is more secure because it's being tracked at every step along the way (basically every single hand off from one person to another), but it's probably unnecessary for you, and it's significantly more expensive.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

You should just use the Awful app. The iOS version has automatic uploading, don't know about the Android version.

I had no idea. Where is the option for that?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Anyone have any good resources for treating insomnia without medication? Specifically, I can fall asleep fine, but I wake up constantly during the night, up to once or twice an hour. I want to try everything possible before continuing my sleep medication. I've seen all the standard suggestions (no computer at night, meditation, not using my bed for anything except sleep and sex, white noise), and I've tried all the natural supplements like Melatonin and Valerian. Just looking for anecdotes and articles that I haven't seen.

I go to bed and wake up at the same time every weeknight.

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 10, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

I had no idea. Where is the option for that?

On iOS, start a post, long press to get the context menu on your text, scroll right to img.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Re: sun lamps. If you get a prescription for a sun lamp from your doctor, your insurance may cover it. I have a sun box that I'm supposed to use for an hour a day in the winter, and I can definitely tell that my mood is elevated when I use it regularly. It's dark and frozen with very few daylight hours here, and just sitting in front of a bright box makes me feel warm and good inside almost instantly. Definitely at least try a sun light before turning to medication, it won't hurt and there aren't any side effects. FWIW I used to take meds for depression but have been off for about seven years, the sun lamp is now good enough to keep the winter blues away.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

bvoid posted:

Anyone have any good resources for treating insomnia without medication? Specifically, I can fall asleep fine, but I wake up constantly during the night, up to once or twice an hour. I want to try everything possible before continuing my sleep medication. I've seen all the standard suggestions (no computer at night, meditation, not using my bed for anything except sleep and sex, white noise), and I've tried all the natural supplements like Melatonin and Valerian. Just looking for anecdotes and articles that I haven't seen.

I go to bed and wake up at the same time every weeknight.

You can try exercising during the day. I'm sure this is a pretty common suggestion but it's a bit of a higher bar to do effort wise so you might not have tried it. Also the key to exercising and keep doing it is either find something you like to do, or find someone to do it with.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
\
Is there a way to locally map a website to redirect to a different one? I keep typing in maps.com when I want to go to maps.google.com, so I was wondering if I could have some sort of local alias so that when I typed maps.com into my browser it would take me to maps.google.com instead of the actual maps.com

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

504 posted:

"Amie" by Pure Prairie League.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

turbomoose posted:

Is there a way to locally map a website to redirect to a different one? I keep typing in maps.com when I want to go to maps.google.com, so I was wondering if I could have some sort of local alias so that when I typed maps.com into my browser it would take me to maps.google.com instead of the actual maps.com

Take a look at using and modifying your hosts file. Usage is basically the same across any operating system, but its location differs.

(On Windows it's at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and you'll need to open Notepad as an Administrator to edit it)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

turbomoose posted:

I'm using an addon in Firefox called Redirector to make me jump to Tindeck download pages immediately. The player won't work without flash and the download link on the player page redirects you through an ad page first.

Though if you bookmark maps.google.com, it might come up as a suggestion when you start typing maps, serving as a reminder, maybe.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
\

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm using an addon in Firefox called Redirector to make me jump to Tindeck download pages immediately. The player won't work without flash and the download link on the player page redirects you through an ad page first.

Though if you bookmark maps.google.com, it might come up as a suggestion when you start typing maps, serving as a reminder, maybe.

That's actually the problem. I type in maps, then maps.google.com shows up as autocomplete. Instead of pressing enter I hit ctrl + enter which adds the https://www. and .com parts. I use ctrl+enter so much that it's hard to not do when i see the autocomplete.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Has a non-white person ever held a WWE/WWF/WCW/TNA title belt?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yokozuna and the Rock have both been the WWE heavyweight champion. If hispanic counts as non-white then there have been a bunch more.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

Ron Simmons and Booker T were both WCW champions.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Pidgin has been throwing up an SSL certificate error for Gmail recently. It did it a couple weeks ago (at least I think it was an SSL error then) and it's doing it again now. Do I need to be worried, or can I just accept it?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

On iOS, start a post, long press to get the context menu on your text, scroll right to img.

Thanks! Here is a picture of a weird little fish!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Does anyone recognize the font used here? What the font didn't turn up anything useful. The A and P here are the only letters I have that are interesting, it's a pretty basic sans serif font otherwise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Super Dan posted:

Ron Simmons and Booker T were both WCW champions.

Booker T also held several WWE titles. Último Dragón had a couple of WCW titles. It's been years since I watched any wrestling, there are probably more I've forgotten about.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why does Energy in a lightning bolt look different from energy in a campfire?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You're not actually seeing "energy", a lightning strike or fire makes the electrons in the atoms that make up the air/whatever is burning gain energy but it can't keep it so it "gives off" the excess as light. The different colours are produced from different wavelengths of light base off exactly how much energy can be transferred to the electrons, which depends on the specific atoms involved.

IIRC, going off rusty knowledge. And simplified, I probably missed something in the process.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 11, 2016

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tiggum posted:

My Windows computer just installed updated graphics drivers and now I have this AMD Gaming Evolved thing. What the hell is it and does it do anything useful? It's got lots of stuff about overlays and chat and stuff, like it's trying to duplicate what Steam already does? IDGI. And it wants to "optimize" my games. What does that mean?

Can't speak to the other questions, but If this is like a recent nvidia update, the optimize will try and select the best (performance) settings for your games. For example, pre-update fallout 4 on my machine selected medium high on everything, but nvidia "optimized" everything down to medium. I didn't notice any performance boosts, and all it really did was reduce my textures. YMMV.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I just got a new laptop (windows 10) and every time I go to a new page on SA I get "Only secure content is displayed" - Show all content.

How do I make this bugger off?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wait until Tinypic and whoever else get https in order, or browse the http version of SA (at least I think that's still possible?). ZDR has just recently been changing the forums over to https.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

stubblyhead posted:

Does anyone recognize the font used here? What the font didn't turn up anything useful. The A and P here are the only letters I have that are interesting, it's a pretty basic sans serif font otherwise.

Ask in fonts itt in Creative Convention.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Is there a way to make Amazon NOT send an email to the address on file when I order something, or when it ships? Husband and I share an account linked to his email address, and I'd like to get him a surprise birthday present with Prime.

I already wasted my "try a month of Prime free" on my personal account for Christmas. :saddowns:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

drat Bananas posted:

Is there a way to make Amazon NOT send an email to the address on file when I order something, or when it ships? Husband and I share an account linked to his email address, and I'd like to get him a surprise birthday present with Prime.

I already wasted my "try a month of Prime free" on my personal account for Christmas. :saddowns:
You can share Prime two-day delivery between accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

That's so smart, I'm glad they offer that! Thanks.