Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Any ideas why my Morte has -4 attack on his character sheet? Dakkon is +5 and TNO and Annah are both +1.

Gingivitis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm playing PS:T again after many years and decided to try a fighter for once. This is probably a bad idea.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's the reason for those wilderness areas that show up near the end of SoA? I never found anything on them to justify even exploring.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

netcat posted:

I'm playing PS:T again after many years and decided to try a fighter for once. This is probably a bad idea.

You get to beat people to death with your own severed arm, and later you get a gently caress off good hammer named "Reason," so you can say to yourself before any fight "Surely they'll listen to Reason."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's the reason for those wilderness areas that show up near the end of SoA? I never found anything on them to justify even exploring.

You aren't really given a reason to visit them in the game, but you do meet some NPCs from the first game in there.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

You get to beat people to death with your own severed arm, and later you get a gently caress off good hammer named "Reason," so you can say to yourself before any fight "Surely they'll listen to Reason."

These are both solid reasons

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
why do I keep playing this game?! This time I'm doing Sorceror, which I've never done before, and it's great fun blatting away spells and not having to worry about saving one for the right moment. Also, taking Korgan on the Gong quest is fantastic.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
So David Gaider left Bioware and is now Creative Director at Beamdog. Was he basically the last of the old guard at Bioware?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They're full of dragons :ohdear:

:tactics:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They're full of dragons :ohdear:

:tactics:

And they all see you from a mile away. And they're hostile. Everybody likes to get hit by 3 dragon fire breaths the moment the area loads, right?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

So David Gaider left Bioware and is now Creative Director at Beamdog. Was he basically the last of the old guard at Bioware?

I'd always assumed they were cut content. Or possibly they were left blank because they're so ridiculous to traverse, with it being so unclear where you can actually walk

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

gender illusionist posted:

why do I keep playing this game?! This time I'm doing Sorceror, which I've never done before, and it's great fun blatting away spells and not having to worry about saving one for the right moment. Also, taking Korgan on the Gong quest is fantastic.

I think you answered your own question here. This game somehow makes it's characters seem very alive and fun to play. Something I've not seen in many games since.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MorgaineDax posted:

ah poo poo, we really are getting that beamdog bg3 aren't we.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Do the steam versions of BG:EE 1/2 make you use the beamdog launcher? Are they compatible with the tweak mods/SCS?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I use regular bg2 ee and it doesn't need the launcher. I don't think my bgee used the beamdog launcher but last time I played was some time ago

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

Do the steam versions of BG:EE 1/2 make you use the beamdog launcher? Are they compatible with the tweak mods/SCS?

1) Nope
2) I don't know

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

voltron lion force posted:

1. No.
2. Yes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Beamdog just announced that David Gaider has joined the team as creative lead. Wonder if he's got anything to work on!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Man watching the stream for the new game just makes me anti hype. They still haven't learned how to make good content.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Man watching the stream for the new game just makes me anti hype. They still haven't learned how to make good content.

I think it's more the streamers lack of charisma. They seem like nice people, but they're just not funny or engaging.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
a lot of the new ui stuff looks good, cept for those loving floating health bars. i like we can finally equip a shield and bow and switch between them without having to pull the shield out.

apparently the game is linear as gently caress, as said so by their own streamers which is kinda hilarious, so they added like 3 new extra areas but did not comment if they had changed the main path to be less linear. ah well. also jaheira's original voice actress has fallen off the planet so i guess they recast her?

in any event, this is all content made by modders hired by trent so the quality is going to be real suspect, if i remember right most of the areas were from a very old canceled mod called return to trademeet which had a gently caress ton of new areas made and beamdog bought them all during the early bg1ee dev time.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Vikar Jerome posted:

a lot of the new ui stuff looks good, cept for those loving floating health bars. i like we can finally equip a shield and bow and switch between them without having to pull the shield out.

apparently the game is linear as gently caress, as said so by their own streamers which is kinda hilarious, so they added like 3 new extra areas but did not comment if they had changed the main path to be less linear. ah well. also jaheira's original voice actress has fallen off the planet so i guess they recast her?

in any event, this is all content made by modders hired by trent so the quality is going to be real suspect, if i remember right most of the areas were from a very old canceled mod called return to trademeet which had a gently caress ton of new areas made and beamdog bought them all during the early bg1ee dev time.

Wow, it's going to be garbage.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Can't knock the hustle I suppose

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

I'd love to see a source on that if you have one. Return to Trademeet's old-rear end site is still up and doesn't say anything. They do admit that SoD started as a minor expansion to bridge the gap between BGI and BGII which ballooned over the years into this, so who knows.

Botch Philodox
Feb 2, 2004

Ahhhhh Yea
I'm liking some of the UI changes and really hope the toolset opens things up for modders. Yeah, the content in SoD probably isn't going to be very good based on their EE stuff. I just like the fact that DLC for an almost 20 year old game even exists. It's pretty crazy to think about actually. BG3 here we come.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Botch Philodox posted:

I'm liking some of the UI changes and really hope the toolset opens things up for modders. Yeah, the content in SoD probably isn't going to be very good based on their EE stuff.

Yeah, they don't have a good track record with NPCs. Neera is okay, Rasaad is boring as hell (And is apparently worse in BG2 somehow), but I don't know anything about Dorn and Hexxat, how are they?

quote:

I just like the fact that DLC for an almost 20 year old game even exists. It's pretty crazy to think about actually. BG3 here we come.

I feel the same way- I don't feel very confident about BG3, especially with Gaider on board, but he can't damage the original saga and it will at least be fun to laugh at.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Kavak posted:

I'd love to see a source on that if you have one. Return to Trademeet's old-rear end site is still up and doesn't say anything. They do admit that SoD started as a minor expansion to bridge the gap between BGI and BGII which ballooned over the years into this, so who knows.

i'll see if i can find it but this was after the release of bg1ee when i saw the post. it was a post by the guy who did the areas, i can't remember his name, but it was either on the pocket plane group or scs forum where they randomly announced all the assets were sold to beamdog. probably scs since the main modders there now work for beamdog.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I remember return to trademeet, didn't it come out of that Spanish modding community?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

fong posted:

I remember return to trademeet, didn't it come out of that Spanish modding community?

Italians, actually. Looks like that version was supported much longer than the English version.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I wish they'd have changed up IWD:EE a bit to include more BG2 style mage fights. I mean I dig the area design and all but it's trash mobs all the way down.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Big World Setup is pretty great these days. Even for installing non mega mod setups its nice for spotting conflicts that weidu wouldn't throw errors at but wouldn't actually work together.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

jBrereton posted:

I wish they'd have changed up IWD:EE a bit to include more BG2 style mage fights. I mean I dig the area design and all but it's trash mobs all the way down.

I played the Enhanced Edition without having played the original. I made an inquisitor because of course inquisitors own BG2. It was a huge mistake because there are only a handful of mage fights in Icewind Dale. At least I did get to use Pale Justice for two seconds at the very end of the game.

(Apparently Beamdog restored content which locks Pale Justice behind a quest in the last area, meaning you have to traverse the entire last area before you can get the weapon, and also you have to hope you don't break the quest by mistake because it's so buggy. Good job, guys!)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm looking for advice on how to mod Baldur's Gate II to do two things, if mods for them aren't already available.

1. A mod that lets me keep playing Shadows of Amn after killing Irenicus in Baator. There's so many sidequests available, but it feels like there's very little room, roleplaying-wise, to go out of your way to do them after you have the 20000 GP in Chapter 2 and no room at all in Chapter 6.

2. With the Ascension mod, Amelyssan forces Imoen to transform into the Slayer for a short time during the final battle. For a variety of reasons, I really don't like that, but I don't think there are any mods that stop it and I like the rest of Ascension. How do I cut out just that part of the mod?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kavak posted:

I'm looking for advice on how to mod Baldur's Gate II to do two things, if mods for them aren't already available.

1. A mod that lets me keep playing Shadows of Amn after killing Irenicus in Baator. There's so many sidequests available, but it feels like there's very little room, roleplaying-wise, to go out of your way to do them after you have the 20000 GP in Chapter 2 and no room at all in Chapter 6.

2. With the Ascension mod, Amelyssan forces Imoen to transform into the Slayer for a short time during the final battle. For a variety of reasons, I really don't like that, but I don't think there are any mods that stop it and I like the rest of Ascension. How do I cut out just that part of the mod?

1. Play BG1, decide you hate Imoen. Roleplaying justification complete!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm thinking of doing the Baldur's Gate series after I complete Pillars of Eternity (and at 69 hours and still not finished with Act II and the expansions, I'm taking my sweet time with it). I have BG2 Enhanced Edition and have played a bit of it, but I strongly dislike the way it starts for a newbie to BG because you're just dumped into the middle of the story at a high level with a bunch of mechanics you don't understand, at the bottom of a dungeon, and are basically just told "have fun". So I'm probably going to buy BG1 EE and play through them sequentially. What should I, as someone whose RTWP RPG experience comes down to Pillars of Eternity and Dragon Age Origins, know before going into Baldur's Gate 1? I anticipate this game is going to be a lot harder than Pillars of Eternity.

E: what I do remember of BG2 above all is the hideous magic interface where all the spell icons look alike. Is there a mod that makes them look more distinct?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 1, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Well a human archer dueled to mage at 9 is pretty easy and strong through the whole game, or a single class Inquisitor or Berserker is easy and strong as well. You could always play low magic and just take Berserker/Barbarian NPC's and a cleric or two and just use them to heal with. Berserkers get an ability that makes them immune to controlling magic and Inquisitors get a built in dispel ability. I'm not aware of a mod that changes the spell icons though.

Basically an inquisitor is easy mode all the way through BG2 while the archer/mage would be a lot better through BG1 but would mostly rely on it's mage abilities in BG2.

Single class sorceror is also really strong, and due to the way the spell picks work is going to have a spellbook that is a lot more restricted than a generic mage, and it's easy to follow the recommended spell picks that you can find in guides all over the place. The advantage to having the restricted spell book is casting a lot more per day than a generic mage would.

Washout fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 1, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm thinking of doing the Baldur's Gate series after I complete Pillars of Eternity (and at 69 hours and still not finished with Act II and the expansions, I'm taking my sweet time with it). I have BG2 Enhanced Edition and have played a bit of it, but I strongly dislike the way it starts for a newbie to BG because you're just dumped into the middle of the story at a high level with a bunch of mechanics you don't understand, at the bottom of a dungeon, and are basically just told "have fun". So I'm probably going to buy BG1 EE and play through them sequentially. What should I, as someone whose RTWP RPG experience comes down to Pillars of Eternity and Dragon Age Origins, know before going into Baldur's Gate 1? I anticipate this game is going to be a lot harder than Pillars of Eternity.

E: what I do remember of BG2 above all is the hideous magic interface where all the spell icons look alike. Is there a mod that makes them look more distinct?

Play it on easy and mash the quicksave all the loving time. It isn't super hard, but not at all hand-holdy so there are a million ways to die without a chance to do much. The game assumes you know about D&D monsters and know when to loving run. I think you are going to be frustrated as poo poo coming form POE, I really recommend reading an LP of BG1 at lest up until the first Mine is cleared to give yourself a little jump start. There are also some hidden items early on that are almost mandatory that you will almost certainly miss your first time.

They are both really great games but are from a time where little concern was given to easing you into the game. It is super likely (and funny as poo poo) that you will die within 45-60 seconds of leaving the tutorial level. Hell, you can die in the tutorial level.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Read this

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I wouldn't recommend dual classing to a newcomer. It's a pain in the rear end even when you know the game by heart. DSimpson is OK if you only take his data and ignore his opinion and advice.

I'll reiterate my usual advice of playing as a multi-class fighter/cleric, fighter/thief or fighter/mage, choosing based on what interests you the most. You get variety and retain the reliability of a fighter. You can also pick any warrior class and do fine (except wizard slayer and beast master).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Play it on easy and mash the quicksave all the loving time. It isn't super hard, but not at all hand-holdy so there are a million ways to die without a chance to do much. The game assumes you know about D&D monsters and know when to loving run. I think you are going to be frustrated as poo poo coming form POE, I really recommend reading an LP of BG1 at lest up until the first Mine is cleared to give yourself a little jump start. There are also some hidden items early on that are almost mandatory that you will almost certainly miss your first time.

They are both really great games but are from a time where little concern was given to easing you into the game. It is super likely (and funny as poo poo) that you will die within 45-60 seconds of leaving the tutorial level. Hell, you can die in the tutorial level.

Gotcha. I knew BG had a reputation for total gently caress-you situations as I had read about how one of Pillars of Eternity's primary design decisions was removing most "hard counters" so you could be at a terrible disadvantage against an enemy you're not prepared for but not completely hopeless. Should I buy a second-hand AD&D monster manual?

As for classes, I was just going to play as a paladin...again. How easy is it to gently caress up with choices/actions playing a paladin? For the Kind Wayfarers paladin order in PoE, even with all dialogue hints turned off, I've been pretty good at maximizing the right dispositions and avoiding the wrong ones (basically "don't be a cock to people") but paladins in D&D have a reputation about them.

E: hints off, not on.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 1, 2016