Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Not a day goes by that I don't regret playing Xenosaga. Thrice as bad the Golden Sun games with how much it had no respect for your time.

I'm glad I found the Dark Id's LP of Xenosaga, because holy poo poo man I wouldn't have expected what the game had to offer. Without the Dark Id, I'd need therapy to enter human society again.

That game is trippy and not in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Libluini posted:

I'm glad I found the Dark Id's LP of Xenosaga, because holy poo poo man I wouldn't have expected what the game had to offer. Without the Dark Id, I'd need therapy to enter human society again.

That game is trippy and not in a good way.

I think you might've been actually tripping as he has never LP'd Xenosaga.

He did LP Xenogears but Xenogears is a pretty cool thing underneath the jankiness and cut content.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
My most vivid memory of Xenosaga is of the time I rented it from Blockbuster as a kid and my mom dropped me off at my house before she went off to a dinner in town, only I'd forgotten to pick up my house key so I was locked out. Sat outside for a half hour staring at the game box before I eventually ended up wandering downtown on foot til I found the restaurant she was at. She wasn't pleased, and when I finally played Xenosaga neither was I.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah if you're talking about his xenogears lp and implying the trippiness in xenogears is not the most beautiful amazing poo poo ever, then i'm sorry, but You're Wrong

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

iirc Xenosaga was played by ScurvyKip

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

a medical mystery posted:

iirc Xenosaga was played by ScurvyKip

Aw poo poo, yeah I confused Xenogears and Xenosaga.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Libluini posted:

Aw poo poo, yeah I confused Xenogears and Xenosaga.

Then what do you mean not in a good way? Xenogears is the one good Xeno game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no game with rico banderaz can be weird in a not good way

the xenosaga wiki posted:

"My... town? Hmph, don't make me laugh. Who gives a drat about this crap town... I'm crap too." —Rico on the crappiness of Nortune, Kislev

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Even if you don't personally like it I think it's pretty fair to say that Xenoblade is generally well liked.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Sorry, Xenogears is definitely not a good game. It could have been one, but it didn't work out.

It's better than the three Xenosaga-games, at least. I'll say I would have probably played it if I hadn't seen the Dark Id's LP of it, though. Back in the 90s, when I had bad taste and a teenager's power to just bulldoze through whatever bullshit a game pulled. Nowadays I value my time to much to make an attempt at playing Xenogears. :shrug:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Libluini posted:

Sorry, Xenogears is definitely not a good game. It could have been one, but it didn't work out.

It's better than the three Xenosaga-games, at least. I'll say I would have probably played it if I hadn't seen the Dark Id's LP of it, though. Back in the 90s, when I had bad taste and a teenager's power to just bulldoze through whatever bullshit a game pulled. Nowadays I value my time to much to make an attempt at playing Xenogears. :shrug:

It's actually very good. Hope this helps~!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

You probably shouldn't be arguing with people who actually played a game that a game is bad based off a screenshot LP designed to make jokes. Like Xenogears got problems but "Sorry, it's not a good game, I know this for a fact based off a jokey LP" is kinda dumb.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 10, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you crazy people I guess I should just play every video game before discussing it. Luckily I'm immortal so I can do that.

Tell you what, I'll play Xenogears for a couple minutes tomorrow and come back again to tell you it's bad, would that be acceptable? :rolleyes:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's just one of those games you had to be there to enjoy. If you subscribe to letting your inner armchair designer dictate your enjoyment of games, then yeah it is probably not going to go so well.

The topic reminds me of the group of people who think CT is a bad game.

Libluini posted:

Yeah, you crazy people I guess I should just play every video game before discussing it. Luckily I'm immortal so I can do that.

Tell you what, I'll play Xenogears for a couple minutes tomorrow and come back again to tell you it's bad, would that be acceptable? :rolleyes:
You know games mods have probated people to do that right? Hehehe. Ah them were the days

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ah yes, let's again argue about which PS1 era JRPG was actually poo poo and garbage again and everything you liked was terrible. Such engrossing conversation.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes, your opinion on Xenogears would have more weight if you played it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Time to play the true RPG experience Shadow Madness, and follow it up with a healthy dose of Jade Cocoon and finish with a rousing game of Guardian Crusade.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Libluini posted:

Couple of minutes only just gets you past the intro sequence, sorry

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Libluini posted:

Dark Id enjoyed it a lot and most of that thread was praising Xenogears (unlike Chrono Cross where most of the LP thread was ripping on it) so it's weird that you came out of that thread with the very wrong opinion that XG was not good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Yes, your opinion on Xenogears would have more weight if you played it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

You're free to discuss a game you haven't played but that doesn't make the argument of "I read a screenshot LP so I will correct you and make sure you know it sucks, person who played the game" any more meaningful.

Like LPs are fun and I am glad they exist but they're not really a good replacement for playing the game because for good or ill they are guided experiences through a game and colored by the LPers own skills and impressions and how they choose to LP the game. In the case of TDI LPs he does screenshots interjected with jokey comments and strong opinions which is enjoyable but also tends to color opinions or ideas of characters. (There are people who beg for Billy Coen of RE0 fame to come back and can't really separate the joke version of the character from the real version for example.)

Xenogears has a lot of flaws but it is also a very atmospheric game in a lot of ways and the difference between playing it and looking through screenshots and script excerpts while a guy slots in MS3K-style joke comments is going to strongly determine how it feels to you. It doesn't mean you'd like Xenogears if you played it but at very least you're arguing with people who had a different experience entirely than you did.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 10, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's all right, we all got one of those classics we can't seem to enjoy. Mine is Grandia 1 because I came way too late to the party so I can't handle the VA and the very easy difficulty.

I also can't enjoy Brave Fencer Musashi cause my inner child died sometime in between ps3 and ps4.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Dark Id enjoyed it a lot and most of that thread was praising Xenogears (unlike Chrono Cross where most of the LP thread was ripping on it) so it's weird that you came out of that thread with the very wrong opinion that XG was not good.

I enjoy a lot of bad games, that won't make them magically good. What I've seen of Xenogears made me recognize it as the sort of game I could enjoy if I ever find a time machine to travel back to the 90s, but that doesn't make it good. Hell, if I had infinite time I would play it today.

But I say this because I have bad taste, not because I consider Xenogears good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played Xenogears for a few hours up until some point where some boy appeared in a dream sequence of some sort and then the game froze and I couldn't proceed. Kind of glad it did, because up to that point the writing was so far up its rear end with philosophical debate that my eyes could've powered a city with all the rolling they were doing. Especially that guy in green, with glasses. Holy poo poo every time he opened his mouth he spouted some drivel, probably about God or something.

I honestly don't remember what the combat was like, either.

Also played the first episode of Xenosaga. I remember, during one cutscene, getting up to make a spaghetti dinner, sitting down, eating said dinner with some side, cleaning the dishes, and then sitting back down on the couch, and the cutscene still hadn't ended. I also forgot how...flat the graphics were. At least, the models.

Edit:
"Dreaming... I was dreaming... Perhaps it may have been but a long forgotten memory... A dream... A memory... Things remembered when one is asleep... Things forgotten when one is awake... Where the deepest layers of memories become the outmost layers of one's dreams... Which are reality? Which are illusions? One cannot tell until one awakes... Or perhaps they are, at the same time, both truth and fiction... A vast nebulous... With no boundaries... An emptiness equivalent to my own existence... I dreamt such a dream... A long... Never-ending, dream."

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 10, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Morpheus posted:

Especially that guy in green, with glasses. Holy poo poo every time he opened his mouth he spouted some drivel, probably about God or something.

Citan own's

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think Xenogears is very deeply flawed for reasons beyond being rushed into an incomplete state but in a lot of ways those imperfections make it way more interesting and fun than it has any business being. The lost potential sort of becomes its own strange aesthetic.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
From what I remember, Xenogears was good for the first half or so, after that it was the most linear trip consisting of lots of cutscenes and text and some gameplay and battles in between then, it was very boring.

I still finished it and I did I liked the writing, but then again I was 17 or something

EDIT: I tried one of the Xenosaga games last year (dont remember which, it started in some kind of spaceship) and the dialog and awful long cutscenes put me off in a couple of hours

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
xenogears loving owns

there's a part where two homages to Giant Robo fight each other on a platform of a giant sky city while the little girl commanding one of them receives the horrible revelation that her father turned himself into an evil robot and she has to destroy him with a rocket punch, and then there's a part where a cowboy priest in a giant robot has to defeat a giant monster by shooting his dad at him while said dad states an awkwardly translated saying about guns, and then there's a part where the main transportation vehicle turns out to actually be the super dimensional fortress macross. hell, even beyond the crazy poo poo there are parts of its world and characters i really like, and i only really played it myself last year

It's A Good Game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I beat all the Xeno whatever games except Chronicles X and Xenoblade is the only one of them that doesn't poo poo the bed super hard in every major way.

Gears is both unfinished and stripped down to the bare minimum. Xenosaga reads like someone making a really unfunny satire of bad anime tropes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Xenogears might be really stripped down, but that's only in the last chunk

pretty much everything in disc 1 is super packed, which in fact is probably what caused the issue

anyway even if it did kinda poo poo the bed that didn't stop me from loving loving so much of it on average that i didn't really mind in the end

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF8 stealing all their money for the worst FF game was the issue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenoblade's entire last quarter is also pretty bad to be honest. It's deus ex machina after deus ex machina featuring a bunch of one-note villains and a last-minute plot twist which serves no purpose than to be goofy as poo poo. It's still the most cohesive of the games but still.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There're also a lot of scenes that are apparently stolen frame-by-frame from Evangelion...though whether that's considered an 'homage' is up to the player I suppose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

There're also a lot of scenes that are apparently stolen frame-by-frame from Evangelion...though whether that's considered an 'homage' is up to the player I suppose.

It's absolutely an homage. There are a lot of scenes in all of Xenogears which are references or injokes to mecha anime. The people behind it have always been giant mecha anime fans and have even worked on Super Robot Wars games.

Like a lot of seemingly strange or incoherent things in Xenogears are less "the writers are insane" and more "the writers are probably making an injoke you don't get" mixed with plenty of gnostic wankery.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 10, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
SUPER DIMENSIONAL GEAR YGGDRASIL IV

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
You do realize that TDI's entire schtick is calling every game he plays abysmal even if he likes it, right

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He really doesnt like shion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think anyone does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shion is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You do realize that TDI's entire schtick is calling every game he plays abysmal even if he likes it, right

What about when he plays bad games tho