Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bieeardo posted:

I wonder if this dalek nanite poo poo and shouting exterminate is related to that Doctor Who/Star Trek crossover comic from a while back.

I remember that just being about the Cybermen and the Borg, so less a reference to that and more just generic Doctor Who poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

DonDoodles posted:

We should have a One-Year Remembrance Giveaway on Vulcan the 27th. Nimoy trivia, with minor prizes (party horns), and one nice lockbox ship as a grand prize. Nimoy trivia questions cannot be Trek-related.
Sounds good to me, assuming you'd be willing to host it.

What would you need to get this rolling? Ships/rewards and questions?

I could help with the former, and some of the latter if this is something you'd want to do.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate posted:

Nimoy has photos of all six female pubbies? :monocle:

aaaaaaaa

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

DonDoodles posted:

Nimoy trivia questions cannot be Trek-related.
In what popular 60's TV show did Leonard Nimoy first work with William Shatner?
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
I could host it for a little while. I'm generally on travel every day but Saturday, so I might be off at times to attend to errands and other things, but I will definitely be a presence on Vulcan that day. As for questions, I'm probably going to go with Mondian's post and ask about photography, because that irritated pubbies more than anything when brought up at the memorial. I'm planning on giving away lots of party horns as well, in the spirit of remembrance.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

fakemirage posted:

Sounds good to me, assuming you'd be willing to host it.

Same, I'll toss some prizes into the pool as long as someone else will MC it.

Anyone open a terran uniform box on a Romulan? It let me open it, but I don't see any of the options listed anywhere in the tailor. I know there were some invisible limb bugs associated with it, but I didn't see anything about it just not showing up at all. In retrospect, Romulans don't get odyssey or jupiter uniforms to begin with, so maybe it shouldn't work, but hey it let me open the box so where da gently caress are my new barbie options?

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
So there's a site called bbb.org (Better Business Bureaus) where there are public complaints to and responses from Perfect World Entertainment. Some of them pretty entertaining.

Take this one as an example:

I wonder who it could be.:ohdear:

On an unrelated note, look who just happened to return from his 3 month long ban on the forum.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

fakemirage posted:

On an unrelated note, look who just happened to return from his 3 month long ban on the forum.

As a new player, I couldn't figure out what this was about. Then I found http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627820&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=365#post451329959. Together, it's hilarious.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I'm still fond of this post of his:

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

fakemirage posted:

So there's a site called bbb.org (Better Business Bureaus) where there are public complaints to and responses from Perfect World Entertainment. Some of them pretty entertaining.

What I like is how, right after his ban, he was in DOFFJOBs chat brushing the whole thing off like he didn't care, then posted that novella to the BBB. Not surprising, actually, but still hilarious.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Flagship stats are up. Not going to bother pasting since they're pretty much copy-pastes with the usual T6 +1 console/power. :effort:

On the upside, the Fed/Klank sci variants kept their sensor analysis. No hangar bays though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Upgrade weekend coming again already:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9770663

Isn't this a little soon? Not that I object, but...

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
They chain poo poo when they get desperate so their numbers must be really low again.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Asimo posted:

Flagship stats are up. Not going to bother pasting since they're pretty much copy-pastes with the usual T6 +1 console/power. :effort:

On the upside, the Fed/Klank sci variants kept their sensor analysis. No hangar bays though.

Is sensor analysis with only 2 tac consoles still worthwhile? It feels like in this era of FAW-spamming balls of enemies sensor analysis isn't as useful.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

My instincts say "probably". It keeps the four science consoles for embassy explosions and the damage you gain against single targets is way more than what you'd get from two extra tac consoles due to cryptic math. On the other hand, yeah it's a lot less exciting in a lot of the current queues that are mostly FAW spam affairs, but it's still probably the only variant of the three worth bothering with. The rest look like downgrades to the already unexciting command battlecruisers.

It's less a contest on the klankside, since the Gorkon's got decent tac seating on top of sensor analysis so there's no downside.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting, the Bort variants got their base turn pushed from 5.5 to 6.5, higher than the Oddys.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Kesper North posted:

Upgrade weekend coming again already:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9770663

Isn't this a little soon? Not that I object, but...

Another on the calendar for March 17th too. So looks like they are going to make them more frequent.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Interesting, the Bort variants got their base turn pushed from 5.5 to 6.5, higher than the Oddys.
Yeah, the Ody upgrades are just kind of sad, even more than usual for cross-faction packages. Maybe they threw the Borts a bone just because they don't get the option for saucer separation or the turn-boosting romulan cloak.

Can the new ones even use the old consoles? Since loving :lol: that would be seven slots gone if you put both full sets in. Can't wait to see the horrible pubbie abominations.

Burning_Monk posted:

Another on the calendar for March 17th too. So looks like they are going to make them more frequent.
I suspect people just aren't upgrading anymore. Once you already have a full set there's no real reason to, and (as anyone could have told them...) it discourages the acquisition of new gear since you'd need to spend 100+k dil to get a set of sidegrades up to MkXIV standards. Similarly, nobody but the insane or space rich bothers with trying to grind quality upgrades since it's prohibitively expensive. I figure they're going to push the weekends more since it's the only time they see an increase in people using the system/actually buying or spending dilithium.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
This is pretty cool. A in universe "magazine" talking about the new fed flag ships. There are some more angles of the ships as well.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/5d7ffcd8-7cf8-4561-a13a-5df451ef0511

The original Odyssey model appears to have gotten a little bit of a touch up as well.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 10, 2016

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Continuing the trend, the Tac oddy is the only really worthwhile one for current content, and it's still nowhere near optimal. Sensor analysis is nice, but jesus christ two tac consoles on a ship with no pets hurts.

At least the science and tac oddys don't look terrible. The new borts and scims are massive steps up though.

EDIT:^^^^^ Oh god Cryptic hired Chris Roberts

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

h.

EDIT:^^^^^ Oh god Cryptic hired Chris Roberts

It isn't that bad. Its not an official production anyways, it was made by Thomas for fun.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 10, 2016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tuskin38 posted:

This is pretty cool. A in universe "magazine" talking about the new fed flag ships. There are some more angles of the ships as well.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/5d7ffcd8-7cf8-4561-a13a-5df451ef0511

The original Odyssey model appears to have gotten a little bit of a touch up as well.

That is pretty cool.

Also haha you can run two console sets for the low cost of $120 and seven used console slots.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Out of the new designs, I think the Yorktown is the only one I like all together.

There are parts I like on the others but not their whole designs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I quite like the big fat Engineering Oddy, it reminds me of TNG.

The sci Oddy is basically the original Oddy with its visual design issues fixed up - there are more features to give it vertical definition from behind, and the new nacelles won't give a perspective foreshortening illusion.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

fakemirage posted:

Thank you for this. I've been reading every single complaint for the last hour or so. These people bitch, moan, threaten, and then beg to have their situation resolved whereas normal people would never do business with them again.

some pubbie posted:

I want a reply. Everyday when I come home, I hop straight onto this game. And I do not wish to part with it a single moment.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Decided to run the Nimoy Memorial Giveaway by a pubbie focus group to gauge reaction.

quote:

[2/10 7:28] [Local] Nbreeki@nabreeki: Nimoy died this month. Can't believe it's been a year
[2/10 7:28] [Local] Scott@altran3301: I know what's coming :-)
[2/10 7:28] [Local] Nbreeki@nabreeki: Dental is going to have a 1 Year Memorial Giveaway on Vulcan
[2/10 7:28] [Local] James@tempest#4509: I will shoot you if you do that again...

Looks like it's a hit. Let's get this going.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DonDoodles posted:

[2/10 7:28] [Local] James@tempest#4509: I will shoot you if you do that again... 

Reported for death threats?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

DonDoodles posted:

Decided to run the Nimoy Memorial Giveaway by a pubbie focus group to gauge reaction.

Looks like it's a hit. Let's get this going.
Did you edit that, or did they really go straight to the death threats?

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

g0del posted:

Did you edit that, or did they really go straight to the death threats?

Completely unedited, and yes, reported immediately.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

DonDoodles posted:

What I like is how, right after his ban, he was in DOFFJOBs chat brushing the whole thing off like he didn't care, then posted that novella to the BBB. Not surprising, actually, but still hilarious.
I'm surprised that he wasn't completely banned from the game and forum for admitting to modding the game, but maybe that's secondary to actually have people playing the game at this point.

It's funny to see that the tweet that ridiculed him is still there.

https://twitter.com/LaughingTrendy/status/654044921922392064

system protocol posted:

Thank you for this. I've been reading every single complaint for the last hour or so. These people bitch, moan, threaten, and then beg to have their situation resolved whereas normal people would never do business with them again.
One pubby managed to undo his forum ban by threatening to do a chargeback because he couldn't use the forum title he got with his Delta pack.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Well it's the same reason they let us walk all over everybody. We're where the money is.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I started playing this, probably because I'm retarded. Can I have access to the wesley wiki? regged as sawafflz

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wow, T6 scimitars, an upgrade weekend, a 20% off ship sale, and a 15% bonus zen promo. Cryptic must be desperate this week.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Wow, T6 scimitars, an upgrade weekend, a 20% off ship sale, and a 15% bonus zen promo. Cryptic must be desperate this week.
Anyone doing the Q daily for the krenim ship is finishing up. Got to have something to keep people logging in after that.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

How do they measure fiscal quarters?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I think they get people coming back during the anniversary events. The promos are probably them trying to keep them around/spending some money instead of taking one look at the upgrade system and saying "gently caress this".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's entirely possible that it's not desperation so much as they've determined that people will actually spend more if they have more frequent time limited promotions.

But that's just a guess.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
After following the death spiraling poo poo show of Star Citizen, Cryptic are, on their worst day, competent, good natured fair-dealers.

Space game pubbies are all the same though.

Speaking of which, the star citizen community has an uber sperg called "captain b'tak" who has a picture of a lion or something.

Does this name ring a bell from STO?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

hakimashou posted:

After following the death spiraling poo poo show of Star Citizen, Cryptic are, on their worst day, competent, good natured fair-dealers.

Space game pubbies are all the same though.

Speaking of which, the star citizen community has an uber sperg called "captain b'tak" who has a picture of a lion or something.

Does this name ring a bell from STO?

The name doesn't ring a bell but there are a lot of subhuman furry deviants in STO. Who was that one with the lion/lamb sig we got probated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

• Locked thread