Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Inspector_666 posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

The MBTA is a loving joke and is terrible.

Come to DC. We'll show you what terrible really means.
At least your rail cars don't try and kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DC's metro was fine until like 2013, then it all started going downhill for some reason.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Docjowles posted:

The T definitely has issues but yeah it's only completely awful compared to NYC which is god tier mass transit. As he said, at least it exists. Let's talk about subway / rail options in Denver, or the entire southern US, or Southern California. It will be a short chat.

This post makes me miss living in Japan.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

flosofl posted:

Why? Granted I haven't been paying attention, but have home prices gone up significantly? I bought mine in Feb 2011 in the western burbs, but I pretty much got a steal because housing was still depressed. My taxes went up a little bit, but nothing that would make me scream that I'm getting buried in taxes.

Illinois is going down hard right now with no signs of slowing. Poor schools with no money means teachers move to other states that actually have hopes of paying out a pension, dropping school quality. A broke state threatening bankruptcy because they can't get a yearly budget together in under 2 years means public services are all threatened, and businesses are leaving. Transit is expensive as poo poo because they need to get their income directly from the commuters. Property taxes are going up to try to meet the monetary needs of the government.

So you spend a ton of money on property tax, send your kids to an underfunded school system, pay out the nose to use highways and trains, and the state still can't promise to meet their spending needs on public services. Maybe it's not so bad for individuals looking to bring in good money but for raising a family nearly any other state is better.

Going towards a specialty in network security I'm heavily considering the Charlotte area, and their job market looks pretty solid right now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What is the property tax rate in Illinois?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
2.13% average across the state. It varies wildly because most of the state is cornfields, but most of the people live in Chicago.

From 2014:

And Chicago implemented a property tax increase last year.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

So you spend a ton of money on property tax, send your kids to an underfunded school system, pay out the nose to use highways and trains, and the state still can't promise to meet their spending needs on public services. Maybe it's not so bad for individuals looking to bring in good money but for raising a family nearly any other state is better.

That is one thing to consider about Denver and Colorado in general. It is a great place for active singles, but we are like 48th in school funding and there are a number of factors -- school district tea party takeovers, laws constraining how taxes can be raised and spent -- that means things aren't getting better any time soon.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

H110Hawk posted:

What is the property tax rate in Illinois?

It depends on the county and municipality. Cook county, which is the City of Chicago and the first ring burbs, is around 1.7-2.0%. The 'collar' counties like Lake, DuPage, Will, etc are as high as 2.5-3.0%. I am looking at some new construction in Naperville and it's 2.67% there, and the basic bitch model starts at $320k, and most houses average in the lower $400's, which if you do the math, is over $10k/year.

We also had our state income tax double from 2.5% to 5% about 5 years ago, and then they dropped to 3.75% last year.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

LochNessMonster posted:

Crossposting from the resume and interview thread because I kind of am in a hurry and this thread gets a lot more attention so it seems.

So my question to you guys is, how do I respectfully tell company 1 and 2 to wait for 2 weeks before I talk to them about their offer. I don't want to string them along but I don't want them to retract their offers in case company 3 doesn't want to make me an offer (or negotiate on a potential lowball offer).

You can go one of two ways.

1) total honesty, tell them you have another option but you won't know if you're interested for another 10 days, at which time you'll accept or reject their offer(s), or
2) Accept the better of the two, tell them you need 3 weeks before you can start, if option 3 is good, call them and say you decided to decline.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

2.13% average across the state. It varies wildly because most of the state is cornfields, but most of the people live in Chicago.

And Chicago implemented a property tax increase last year.

mayodreams posted:

It depends on the county and municipality. Cook county, which is the City of Chicago and the first ring burbs, is around 1.7-2.0%. The 'collar' counties like Lake, DuPage, Will, etc are as high as 2.5-3.0%. I am looking at some new construction in Naperville and it's 2.67% there, and the basic bitch model starts at $320k, and most houses average in the lower $400's, which if you do the math, is over $10k/year.

We also had our state income tax double from 2.5% to 5% about 5 years ago, and then they dropped to 3.75% last year.

Thanks. That is comically high.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Vulture Culture posted:

If you're concerned about your commute length, a lot of NYC tech jobs will let you telecommute a couple of days a week, even big banks. It's a common benefit because of the absurd housing costs near the city. Nobody wants to be beholden to the MTA or NJ Transit for 4 hours a day.

It's looking more and more like Long Island is where we'll end up. The LIRR of the 3 transit outfits is pretty reliable, even in the snow. I take the subway every day now and it's fine for the most part. Commuting by train is fine as long as its 40 minutes or under. The big problem is, the LIRR is expensive as hell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My house is valued at 280k. My prop taxes were about 7.5k. gently caress this poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

WNY has areas where $200k houses have 8k+ property taxes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The city valued my house about 20 grand more than the bank. I complained and they re-assessed it for 25 grand more than the bank.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

The city valued my house about 20 grand more than the bank. I complained and they re-assessed it for 25 grand more than the bank.

Trolling appraisers, nice.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Alchenar posted:

Just straight up ask "if you make me an offer how soon will you need a response?'"
You can also say to company 3 "Is there any chance we can bring my interview forwards? I'm talking to some other people and I don't want to be in the position of having to pass on you because I get an offer I can't wait on."

These things are hardly ever set in stone, and the companies already have decided how desperately they need someone to fill the role and vaguely how much they care about getting you personally. You don't explicitly tell 1 and 2 'you are my second choice' but you can explain that you have certain demands on your calendar and would appreciate if they moved a little in your direction.

Company 3 unfortunately can't move it forward, I asked them but they want to bring in a guy who's only available on fridays. Next week I'm in a training so can't make time for an interview so it'll be the week after. I tried for this week but that didn't work out for them.

Second interview with company 1 went pretty well. They want to hire me but made me a really low salary offer (20% lower than what ai currently earn and they roughly know my range). Told them I'm not accepting that offer and will get back to them in the week after my training. They already told me it's just a first offer and they really want to make it work, so I guess I'm able to get a decent offer if I want to go work for them.

I (feel like I) am not in the position to tell company 3 to hurry up though. They can probably get people with a similar set of skills but I don't have many options with companies like them but would love to work for them. Company 1 and 2 can't find a lot of people with the skills they want (and I have) so hopefully they don't mind waiting a bit longer.

DigitalMocking posted:

You can go one of two ways.

1) total honesty, tell them you have another option but you won't know if you're interested for another 10 days, at which time you'll accept or reject their offer(s), or
2) Accept the better of the two, tell them you need 3 weeks before you can start, if option 3 is good, call them and say you decided to decline.

I'm not sure if option 2 is legal in the country I live in (not the US). I could probably get away with option 1 since both companies really seem to want to hire me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The like one other Vancouver guy posting in this thread is probably laughing as hard as I am at your piddly property values and tiny tax assessments.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

LochNessMonster posted:

I'm not sure if option 2 is legal in the country I live in (not the US). I could probably get away with option 1 since both companies really seem to want to hire me.

Not sure what country you live in, but you can always decline an offer before starting, or you can just quit on day 0. :p Its not in the best taste, but I do see it done from time to time.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

CLAM DOWN posted:

The like one other Vancouver guy posting in this thread is probably laughing as hard as I am at your piddly property values and tiny tax assessments.

How are the income taxes in Canada? I'm about 27% with federal and state and that's only increasing.

Sym
Feb 22, 2006
Where am I?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mostly lurk but my 3 bedroom townhouse in the valley (about an hour drive from Downtown Vancouver) is higher than most of them.

mayodreams posted:

How are the income taxes in Canada? I'm about 27% with federal and state and that's only increasing.

The marginal rate is 30% but my average tax rate (total taxes paid/total income) last year was about 15% and gross income was $64K, but you have to factor in other non-income taxes like the sales tax.

Sym fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 10, 2016

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LmaoTheKid posted:

It's looking more and more like Long Island is where we'll end up. The LIRR of the 3 transit outfits is pretty reliable, even in the snow. I take the subway every day now and it's fine for the most part. Commuting by train is fine as long as its 40 minutes or under. The big problem is, the LIRR is expensive as hell.

Where on LI? The LIRR is anything but reliable, about once every 2 weeks there are massive delays because someone parked their car on the tracks or someone jumped in front of a train and killed themselves. A lot of these troubles can be avoided if you're able to take the port Washington line instead of the Ronkonkoma line.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

http://www.crackshackormansion.com/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LmaoTheKid posted:

If your company has more than 20 full-timers, they are mandated to offer you some kind of pre-tax commuter plan, which I would imagine covers some kind of LIRR-unlimited card type thing.

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/about/pre-tax-transit-benefits-law.page

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mayodreams posted:

It varies by province because we have federal and provincial income tax, so here in BC I have a 29.7% marginal income tax rate for my income level.

I am in favour of this going up, I get stuff in return for this.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Where on LI? The LIRR is anything but reliable, about once every 2 weeks there are massive delays because someone parked their car on the tracks or someone jumped in front of a train and killed themselves. A lot of these troubles can be avoided if you're able to take the port Washington line instead of the Ronkonkoma line.
Ronkonkoma line is a wreck, I had much better luck commuting on the Babylon line.

My worst time on that line was in 2011 when a lightning strike took out all switching between the East River tunnels and Jamaica, but I was one of the smart/lucky ones who was able to grab the E to Sutphin Blvd. before everything got real bad and everyone got stuck until 1 AM. Beyond that, I only had a small handful of minor delays.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

We're looking in Westbury.

Inspector_666 posted:

If your company has more than 20 full-timers, they are mandated to offer you some kind of pre-tax commuter plan, which I would imagine covers some kind of LIRR-unlimited card type thing.

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/about/pre-tax-transit-benefits-law.page

We have that but the limit is something like 150$ and the LIRR is :lol: way more expensive, its a nice subsidy tho.

Vulture Culture posted:

Ronkonkoma line is a wreck, I had much better luck commuting on the Babylon line.

My worst time on that line was in 2011 when a lightning strike took out all switching between the East River tunnels and Jamaica, but I was one of the smart/lucky ones who was able to grab the E to Sutphin Blvd. before everything got real bad and everyone got stuck until 1 AM. Beyond that, I only had a small handful of minor delays.

Yeah my main experience with the LIRR was back in 06 when I first got this job (still here!) and I was commuting from Babylon. It was reliable as hell. And I still laugh at people who are too afraid to use the subwat to go to another station when there's a service outage on one line.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LmaoTheKid posted:

We have that but the limit is something like 150$ and the LIRR is :lol: way more expensive, its a nice subsidy tho.

Oh yeah wow, it's like $340/month :stare: Still cheaper than buying a new ticket every day though!

I've only ever taken the LIRR 3-4 times since I need to get waaaay out East and those trains run like, 1.5 times a month.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh yeah wow, it's like $340/month :stare: Still cheaper than buying a new ticket every day though!

I've only ever taken the LIRR 3-4 times since I need to get waaaay out East and those trains run like, 1.5 times a month.

Honestly, of the three lines, the LIRR is still the best. Ive talked to friends who rely on NJT and its basically one huge delay out of NYC, and Metro North has had 3 major derails in the last 5 years.

Those trains run more frequently on the summer out east. For obvious reasons.

It's not the worst thing in the world, for all the poo poo LI gets (deservedly) it's a pretty awesome place from late april to late october. It's just expensive as hell.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LmaoTheKid posted:

Honestly, of the three lines, the LIRR is still the best. Ive talked to friends who rely on NJT and its basically one huge delay out of NYC, and Metro North has had 3 major derails in the last 5 years.

NJT is hosed by the physical constraints of the tunnels linking it to NYC, but they're totally gonna get the billions of dollars approved to fix that any day now!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

It varies by province because we have federal and provincial income tax, so here in BC I have a 29.7% marginal income tax rate for my income level.

I am in favour of this going up, I get stuff in return for this.

Yeah Americans have never got that whole "get what you pay for" concept when it comes to taxes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah Americans have never got that whole "get what you pay for" concept when it comes to taxes.

It sucks, because taxes are a good thing. We have 12% sales tax too, and even more on liquor. My "suburb" of Vancouver has ~6% residential property tax too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Well right now we don't get what we pay for. See the previous post about state taxes in Illinois.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

What they don't get is that one way or another, you always pay.

That's relevant to IT as well. If you don't budget for backups, you'll have to budget for not having backups, etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Our taxes in a nutshell.

Marginal tax rate is (All Taxes Paid) / (Taxed Income) right? I am looking at my return for this year and it is a lower % than I thought it would be. Thank god for accountants.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Crippling construction contracts?

high six
Feb 6, 2010

rafikki posted:

If you've got some networking knowledge and the basics of Linux, we're hiring some folks in the Denver Tech Center area. I also regularly get a lot of hits from LinkedIn and Dice for the kinds of positions you're probably looking for.

How long do you think you'll be looking for folks for this sort of thing? Denver is one of the areas I'd like to consider moving (I live in bumfuck North Carolina right now). I've got a CCNA and basic Linux skills so this sounds right up my alley. I'm probably going to start job hunting again in May once I've been at this current position for a year. I just need to get out of this area before I go insane.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Our taxes in a nutshell.

Marginal tax rate is (All Taxes Paid) / (Taxed Income) right? I am looking at my return for this year and it is a lower % than I thought it would be. Thank god for accountants.

http://canadianfinanceblog.com/marginal-tax-rate-explained/

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Our taxes in a nutshell.

That's average rate. Marginal rate would be the tax rate on your last dollar of income.

But yeah, this often gets people. Someone will see the marginal rate is 25%/28% (those two brackets probably cover most of the thread), and go off about federal income taxes without realizing their average rate is probably below 20%, and significantly below that if they own a house or have children.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You gotta be careful with raises because you could get pushed up into the next tax bracket and end up making less money overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Inspector_666 posted:

Well right now we don't get what we pay for. See the previous post about state taxes in Illinois.

Yeah, if raising sales tax by 2%, income tax by 2%, and property tax by 1% netted us government healthcare, good schooling, solid infrastructure and free public transit I wouldn't have anything to complain about. The current benefits my taxes pay for are:

high six posted:

How long do you think you'll be looking for folks for this sort of thing? Denver is one of the areas I'd like to consider moving (I live in bumfuck North Carolina right now). I've got a CCNA and basic Linux skills so this sounds right up my alley. I'm probably going to start job hunting again in May once I've been at this current position for a year. I just need to get out of this area before I go insane.

I'm looking towards the Charlotte area, care to expand on which part of North Carolina is "bumfuck" to make sure I avoid it? From what I've gathered there's Charlotte, the city in the west, and Raleigh, the city in the east, and everywhere else is desolate garbageland or expensive coastal resorts.