Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a hard knock life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

SFV won't even be out until after the next podcast though, right?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Kinda wondering about getting into fighting games starting with sfv. Are those fightpads any good?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Depths posted:

Kinda wondering about getting into fighting games starting with sfv. Are those fightpads any good?

They can be, but they're far from required to play fighting games, and won't magically make you better at them if you switch from controllers.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

Fighting games games are fine. The podcasts where they discuss fighting games at length, not so much.

That's my favorite part of the podcasts

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
If im getting into this genre i should at least start with a stick/pad because i'll probably go in HARD

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

People like different things. In the end, they should talk about things they are interested in. It's not like it's a big deal either way since I can just skip the parts I don't care about.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

Better than them talking about [THING I DON'T CARE ABOUT] for an hour.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
next podcast should last 4 hours, have no matt and be 80% fighting game discussion and 20% censorship discussion

also woolie should complain about the english dub of the game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He has done that you are too late

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

SFV won't even be out until after the next podcast though, right?

Yeah, but there's one more test, we're in for a minimum of 3 consecutive weeks of 1:30 SFV segments.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

He has done that you are 遅すぎます

please use the correct VA for Zangief

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Depths posted:

If im getting into this genre i should at least start with a stick/pad because i'll probably go in HARD

Smug, Snake Eyez and a handful of other really kickass top-level dudes play and win using straight out of the box, standard Playstation/Xbox pads, don't buy into the stick hype if you think it might not actually be for you, the best controller is the one your hands are comfortable with.

I always like posting this picture when I can in relation to stick/pad stuff, behold, the top 3 for Ultra at Apex 2015 :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 10, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Then there was Luffy who won Ultra SF4 at EVO 2014 with Rose and a playstation 1 controller.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I couldn't reliably execute Chun Li's ultra until I started using the stick. If it wasn't for this, I'd be a part of the controller master race.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
The flip side is, once you pick up a stick, a controller just feels weird, but that's probably just down to muscle memory. I'm so glad that they've put in legacy support for PS3 sticks, I guess I'm getting SFV on release day!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh gently caress THAT'S what the special Tokomon upgrade is? Now I REALLY have to figure out how to raise his Int and abi (he's already 34 with the 80 so).

Guess I'll continue working on Imperialdramon as my main side project in the meantime.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Radio Paranoia posted:

The flip side is, once you pick up a stick, a controller just feels weird, but that's probably just down to muscle memory. I'm so glad that they've put in legacy support for PS3 sticks, I guess I'm getting SFV on release day!

I really wish they loving announced this before I blew $250 bucks on a fightstick for the ps4.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

PiedPiper posted:

I couldn't reliably execute Chun Li's ultra until I started using the stick. If it wasn't for this, I'd be a part of the controller master race.

Yeah, charge characters for me feel much easier to play on stick, but that's a personal preference thing. It all comes down to individual feeling.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hate playing charge on pad, but there's two charge players in that photo, so it all depends on your personal preference.

Honestly, I missed the six-button layout more than a stick because of plinking - I grew up playing fighting games on pad anyway, and sticks are STUPID expensive in Brazil. So I got myself a Hori fightpad after a year or so of using a DS3 and it's what I use for most games (I actually prefer to play MKX on the DS3, it has better triggers, and I don't mind either way for Melty).

The clear benefits to getting a stick are: being able to play on actual arcade cabinets; longer lifespan, WAY easier to repair and better build quality overall; it looks cooler and it pleases old grumpy man so if you're into GILFs I guess that's a plus???

The issues: it's a massive piece of gear to lug around; it makes quite a bit of noise; if you're a broke-rear end Latin American it's a lot cheaper to stick with pad.

So there you go.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm gonna be the world's number 1 keyboard player.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The sega usb pads are like 8 bucks and are fantastic and way better than any madcatz pads which are poo poo.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tae posted:

madcatz pads which are poo poo.

what year is it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fighting games are bad

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I feel like Street Fighter benefits most from a stick because it's a 6 button fighter (+2 for PPP/KKK) . While I prefer a controller for 4 button or 5 button fighters like GG for less input clutter.

Though, 360s and DP motions are waaaay easier to do on sticks no matter what.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Tae posted:

The sega usb pads are like 8 bucks and are fantastic

Which are we talking about here

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The sega saturn pads.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baal posted:

Fighting games are bad

You're a fighting game now?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm fighting games

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

I'm fighting games

you're killer instinct

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd rather play KI than SFV

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Baal posted:

It's not Melee tho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Now, now, let's not say things we could regret one day.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

Now, now, let's not say things we could regret one day.

I would rather play Strekken

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I want a new Soul Calibur.

Or poo poo now that I think Tim Langdell no longer owns Edge, just confuse the gently caress out of everybody and make Soul Edge 2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Baal would rather watch woolie and liam replay dangan ronpa trigger than play a fighting game.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Depths posted:

Which are we talking about here

As someone who was in your position a year ago and still isn't good at fighting games, I'd reconsider picking them up unless you're absolutely sure you're willing to put hours and hours of practice-mode in. It's like they always say on the podcast/FAQs, you may never get good.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Phantasium posted:

I want a new Soul Calibur.

Or poo poo now that I think Tim Langdell no longer owns Edge, just confuse the gently caress out of everybody and make Soul Edge 2.

I too want a new Soul Calibur. Voldo forever.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

havenwaters posted:

I too want a new Soul Calibur. Voldo forever.

Namu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Monaghan posted:

I really wish they loving announced this before I blew $250 bucks on a fightstick for the ps4.

I remember when Lab Zero announced that they had created a free driver for ps3 sticks to work on ps4 games, I just kind of assumed that all fighting games heading forward would use it.