Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Near the end of the Stewart Era people complained that he was spending too much time on Fox.

Also I'm kinda glad Stewart quit before he turned into late-period Carlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just wonder if there will be a Noah / Wilmore election day special. I'd be surprised if those two even met each other outside of CC parties.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

zakharov posted:

Also I'm kinda glad Stewart quit before he turned into late-period Carlin.

The only negative thing you can say about late-era Carlin was that he died. :colbert:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The only negative thing you can say about late-era Carlin was that he died. :colbert:

+1

Also, there's no such thing as making fun of Fox News too much.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
even late era carlin still had something to say. the closest thing today is louis ck and he is just a disgusting sad sack.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Charles Martel posted:

+1

What if Trump is doing it

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Charles Martel posted:

+1

You can only feign surprise at Fox's shtick for so long before it gets really tiring to watch.

It also looked really tiring to do, hence why he left.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, the Fox news thing was getting dull. It's just a reminder of how much politcal arguments can go around in circles and bullshit can be repeated endlessly and it will never change. No wonder it tired people out.

GreenNight posted:

Bernie better have a stellar vp because is is drat old. I give him 2 years.
Reminder that Bernie is only five years older than Trump.

JazzFlight posted:

That sums up the problem with the current show. Noah has no teeth. It's the TV equivalent of a Quaker popcorn cake.
Yeahhh. I'm not all aboard the Noah hate train, in fact I barely have an opinion on him. But the show is definitely missing something. And it's not just Jon Stewart, because Colbert and Oliver had it too. (Just some passion would be nice. It all feels very superficial, very detached.

I mean christ, I'm watching that interview with Lily Singh and I don't really even know her work, but I felt myself kinda wishing she was hosting it because she seems so genuine and excited and personable. Similarly, there's a reason this thread can't get enough of Roy Wood Jr. (Or previously Jessica Williams)

On a similarly positive note about correspondants, Klepper has been loving killing it. There was a super telegraphed gag about the British pubs he'd been to the other week and his delivery was the funniest thing. I didn't like him much when he's started, but he's been acing it as the new Colbert/Jones character.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

raditts posted:

I guess I am officially old because I don't understand YouTube superstars or why they are popular.

Just watched the Lilly Singh interview, she's kind of annoying to me but she definitely feels very energetic and probably woulda been a better host than Trevor.

I'm in my late 40s too so not part of the youtube/twitch generation, but lately I have been watching twitch streams of call of duty WHILE I am playing call of duty. I'll tell you exactly why the new youtube/twitch base is so popular with younger people. It feels like they are your friends, AND that everyone else in the audience is part of your friends circle too. The streamers give shout outs to the viewers constantly, talk about whats going on in their lives and take an interest in their viewers lives, commiserate about shared problems (jobs, money, food, dating, etc) and are down to earth and honest in a way you don't see on TV. Its like the old public access TV shows if they had immediate real time feedback with viewers and digital sets that let them do anything.

Another experience I would compare it to is early MMOs for us older people. Back when you'd log into Everquest or World of Warcraft and have a guild where you would shoot the poo poo in chat or teamspeak/ventrilo and you'd feel connected to a bunch of virtual friends. Youtube and twitch are now the same but you don't even have to play any game, just sit and socialize with people that are like you.

Its kind of cool in many ways but also sad in many ways since I think it probably attracts a lot of people who don't have any friends in real life, not sure if its healthy or not. I know when I started withdrawing from reality due to MMOs that was a pretty bad time in my life, I probably would have dove into twitch back then even harder and with all the subscribe and donate options it seems the money sink could be very dangerous to vulnerable people.

Still for those (the vast majority) who are able to keep online circles and reality seperate its probably more entertaining than most movies and TV shows.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sam Bee's show premieres tonight. Figured it's worth quickly mentioning here even though it should be discussed in the late night thread.

Also, I kind of understand the appeal of how Internet personalities are your fake friends, being a Red Letter Media fan and someone who used to like Penny Arcade back in the day. But I kind of can't latch on to the new generation of YouTube stars (AKA people younger and more successful than me) that appeals to people whose ADD is bigger than mine. But it's another "says more about me" thing.

Maybe it's also because the new generation doesn't even hide how aggressively they promote their personal brands, which I think kind of disrupts the whole "fake friend" atmosphere.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

raditts posted:

Some of you guys are trying to hate this show so hard, I can't figure out why you still bother watching.

rjryan3 posted:

Then why don't you just go to the Late Night Talk Show Locker Room Discussion then? I'm getting really sick of the Trevor Noah haters on this board misconstruing his jokes.

If you don't like Trevor Noah, fine. making GBS threads on him isn't really adding to thread discussion, and he's here to stay. I'm not saying he should be immune to criticism, and I have a few of my own for him. But coming in here just to post that you hate him and that you think the show is ruined doesn't add constructively to the conversation, and it's a bummer to read. Just my two cents.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Ronnie's bit on the last episode had me in tears, and he didn't mention his father once!

Yeah, I was happy to see this piece. I want to like Chieng, and I think he has potential beyond that low hanging fruit. I really hope he stays away from the dad thing lest he turn into a one trick pony. I think best-case scenario, he'll probably return to it a few times in his forthcoming correspondent pieces, but hopefully as he gets more comfortable and hears positive audience feedback to his non-dad jokes, he'll branch out more.

My favorite correspondent right now is Roy Wood, Jr. Every piece he does is fantastic. I know I'm in for a treat when he is responsible for a segment. That said, I really can't understand thinking he should be the host. I just don't think his comedy or style is suited to it, and that should be not construed as any kind of criticism. The host has to play the straight man, and I think we'd all be missing out if Roy were confined to that role.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This debate entrance poo poo never gets less hilarious no matter how many times I see it.

e: I think Trump has confused this debate with a WWE pay-per-view event.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 9, 2016

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
One thing Romney did right in the 2012 primaries is that he kept his eyes on the prize and went after Obama, while the not-Romneys sniped at each other and tried to bring the guy in second place down. They might rise above when they went after lazy black people or liberals or some other enemy, but quickly fell down once they lost sight of that.

That's why everyone is having so much trouble. They're sniping among each other. Christie crushed Rubio, but it doesn't matter because the base doesn't want someone who will go after Rubio. The CNBC debate is the one everyone said they all won, and that's because they all spent they spent those whole time bitching about one of the enemies, the liberal media.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay I didn't watch any of the debates ever so this is kind of amazing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I thought that first segment on Nightly where they switched argument positions was kinda funny? I didn't think to myself 'I want to see that almost literally again a second time, with the same two people and everything', so of course that's what they did.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Justin_Brett posted:

I thought that first segment on Nightly where they switched argument positions was kinda funny? I didn't think to myself 'I want to see that almost literally again a second time, with the same two people and everything', so of course that's what they did.

Did you also get upset when Colbert and Carell were still on TDS and they did Even Stevphens more than once

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If it felt like they were reaching for material on the second or so time it appeared, and if it seemed like they were going to boil down to 'let's yell at this guy for doing what we wanted him to' every time, I'd probably say the same. Carell's time on the show was before I started watching it, unfortunately, but it feels like a worse version of Formidable Opponent from the Report.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
For those who missed how D&D > YCS responded to the amazing debate opening as it happened live:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763279&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

It lasts a few pages.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Here's a glowing review of Sam Bee's new show. Will have to check it out.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2016/02/full_frontal_with_samantha_bee_reviewed.html

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I watched it last night. It's great and it's where the Daily Show's missing hard edges went.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Yeah, Sam Bee's new show is fantastic, its just too bad its only one day a week.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Just started a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763789

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

haveblue posted:

I watched it last night. It's great and it's where the Daily Show's missing hard edges went.

Trevor Noah's 31 and in his first season as host. He'll get the hard edges he needs with time.

That said, yes, holy poo poo, "Full Frontal" is great.

Also as much of a snooze as "Wilmore" often is, his Cosby bit tonight was beautiful.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Enjoyed Nikki's show a lot. Maybe it's just because it's not another news roundup -> roundtable cookie cutter but it seemed like it hit the right notes. I'm in for awhile.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ape Agitator posted:

Enjoyed Nikki's show a lot. Maybe it's just because it's not another news roundup -> roundtable cookie cutter but it seemed like it hit the right notes. I'm in for awhile.

Yeah, I'm with this. That was probably the strongest launch of a CC show in a while not aimed directly at me (did they say if Hannibal gets a second season or not?)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Took me ages to find out where I could catch the Sam Bee thing and went in expecting it to not live up to all this praise, but ugh, it was EXACTLY what I've been missing from The Daily Show. All that venom is just so delicious to me!

Edit: it's like this

*clip of Hilary Clinton being all "oh it's hard to imagine me, a down-to-earth normal person, running for president like this"*
Trevor Noah's likely response: [near monotone] Oh. Really? Because you are Hilary Clinton and you have actually been running for president for years. [grin] Hee, hee, heeee!
Sam Bee's response: Oh, gently caress off!

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 10, 2016

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So Sam Bee is 10:30 on TBS before Conan, right? So I guess I have to go to the official website to see any of it, being cable-less. I wish TBS had a Roku app where I could watch these shows.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

VagueRant posted:

Took me ages to find out where I could catch the Sam Bee thing and went in expecting it to not live up to all this praise, but ugh, it was EXACTLY what I've been missing from The Daily Show. All that venom is just so delicious to me!

Edit: it's like this

*clip of Hilary Clinton being all "oh it's hard to imagine me, a down-to-earth normal person, running for president like this"*
Trevor Noah's likely response: [near monotone] Oh. Really? Because you are Hilary Clinton and you have actually been running for president for years. [grin] Hee, hee, heeee!
Sam Bee's response: Oh, gently caress off!

Gotta agree, I loving hate Sam Bee and Jason Jones. Like extremely hate them. If one day they're found murdered then you can go ahead and notify FBI online to begin checking my alibi even. I cannot remember any bit they did in the last 5 years of TDS that I thought was even slightly funny. Yet I really liked this episode.

Steve Vader posted:

So Sam Bee is 10:30 on TBS before Conan, right? So I guess I have to go to the official website to see any of it, being cable-less. I wish TBS had a Roku app where I could watch these shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC18vz5hUUqxbGvym9ghtX_w

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Ah. I've got to get in the habit of watching entire shows on Youtube, when that site is a magnet for distraction and attention-span-deadening. Will do.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Jeb segment from Full Frontal is probably the best thing I've seen from Noah, Oliver, Wilmore, and maybe even Stewart and Colbert in awhile.

Personally I don't care which is better. I'm just psyched that I have so many options for this stuff.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Botnit posted:

Gotta agree, I loving hate Sam Bee and Jason Jones. Like extremely hate them. If one day they're found murdered then you can go ahead and notify FBI online to begin checking my alibi even. I cannot remember any bit they did in the last 5 years of TDS that I thought was even slightly funny.

Please, tell us how you really feel. :allears:

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

"Sentient Caps Lock Button Donald Trump" - nicely done, Sam Bee.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Vader posted:

"Sentient Caps Lock Button Donald Trump" - nicely done, Sam Bee.

Bring it to the threeeeeeaaaad!! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763789

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That New Hampshire couple is adorable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

VagueRant posted:

I find Noah fine and Colbert's new format only mildly annoying, but yeah it was nice to have someone spit some venom again.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Echo Chamber posted:

Roy Wood is a treasure.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Echo Chamber posted:

I always like the segments where they show something about people you think are going to be crazy/arseholes/whatever and they they show us/the audience that "nope, they are just regular human beings like you and I". It reminded me of a segment from a few years back about some small town where a gay guy was running for mayor I think. The segment started with talking heads talking about how small town America is tired of the "gay agenda" being pushed down their throat etc. Then one of the correspondents, can't remember who, went to this small town expecting everyone to be against the gay guy running for mayor and instead everyone in the town talked how the didn't care about the guy being gay, they thought he was a great guy and would be a great mayor.
I wish I could find the clip but my google-fu isn't working.

FartGhost
Mar 7, 2013

I think it's this one http://www.cc.com/video-collections/hnv15m/the-colbert-report-best-of-the-colbert-report/y58ew9

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Pillow Hat posted:

Please, tell us how you really feel. :allears:

I would rather read an entire page of nothing but Zoux posts than ever see another Jason Jones bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Botnit posted:

I would rather read an entire page of nothing but Zoux posts than ever see another Jason Jones bit.

I don't love Jason Jones. But Samantha Bee is incredible imo.

• Locked thread