Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

FogHelmut posted:

Is anyone else having to reboot their 5x about once a week? It seems to just bog down after a while.

Long term, I'm really not seeing any performance gains over the 2013 Moto X. The battery is great, the camera is wonderful when it wants to load. It just gets annoying with things like that - the camera or other apps not loading instantly every time, getting stuck in apps and not wanting to go to the home screen. Bluetooth eating up all the battery even when its not connected. Good luck running navigation and play music at the same time.

I've stated getting the BT battery drain in recent weeks on my nexus 6 so might be a play services or latest update issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Would be great if they released an 8 inch tablet that's decent. The battery on my Nexus 7 is starting to get a bit iffy.

Er, am I the only one who read a rumor about a new Nexus 7 coming this year?

Or do we hear this every year? We hear this every year, don't we. gently caress. I got excited for nothing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

topenga posted:

Er, am I the only one who read a rumor about a new Nexus 7 coming this year?
There are some rumours of a Huawei tablet though the size of it seems unclear I saw 7in and 8in in different places. Any Nexus tablet of that size range would be an instant buy for me as long as it isn't a Tegra powered shitheap. And it might not exist, obviously.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

It's crazy to me that this is such a big deal for some people, but I guess I'm that guy who's constantly clearing memory and reboots his phone every 2-3 days anyway. People are always talking about 'bad RAM management" like it's such a big loving deal that the media player won't save your position in a song. If it's been a day or two since listening to music, I'd want to restart the song anyway, or probably play a different one. Same for web browsers; if the browser is going unused long enough to be kicked out of memory, then chances are good I don't give a poo poo anymore about whatever page I had up and running.

I guess this thread has taught me in the past, though, that my use case is way different from everybody else's. I have had no problem getting at least two (sometimes three) days out of every phone I've owned since a Nexus 5 (Nexus 4 lasted maybe a day and a half) and it just doesn't infuriate me when my phone doesn't cold launch an app in point two milliseconds.

Yes, you're different.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

It's crazy to me that this is such a big deal for some people, but I guess I'm that guy who's constantly clearing memory and reboots his phone every 2-3 days anyway. People are always talking about 'bad RAM management" like it's such a big loving deal that the media player won't save your position in a song. If it's been a day or two since listening to music, I'd want to restart the song anyway, or probably play a different one. Same for web browsers; if the browser is going unused long enough to be kicked out of memory, then chances are good I don't give a poo poo anymore about whatever page I had up and running.

I guess this thread has taught me in the past, though, that my use case is way different from everybody else's. I have had no problem getting at least two (sometimes three) days out of every phone I've owned since a Nexus 5 (Nexus 4 lasted maybe a day and a half) and it just doesn't infuriate me when my phone doesn't cold launch an app in point two milliseconds.

The problem is that you don't know you need to reboot it until it needs to be rebooted. Like if I want to take a photo and I have to say "hold on for 3 minutes while I reboot this." Or if I'm trying to get directions somewhere, and it locks up, and I tap the back button and it buzzes but nothing happens. So I tap back again, back, back, back, back, home, home, home, home, gently caress you. Then after 5 or 10 seconds, it flashes through all of these screens and ends up at home finally.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Are these likely Android issues or Snapdragon issues?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I would kill for my phone not to just pick a random media app I've been using recently and start blaring it on my car stereo when it connects to it via Bluetooth. Yes, phone, I know I was listening to a track on Apple Music a few hours ago. Why the gently caress do you think it's a good idea to start that track from scratch when I get into my car? Normally I listen to Pocketcast in the car so I don't mind if that starts up automatically, but it's super annoying when that starts and then Google Music and/or Apple Music just cuts in over the top and starts playing as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

Imagine all the freed time you'd have if you weren't busy computer janitoring your phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are these likely Android issues or Snapdragon issues?

Honestly? They're Nexus issues.

Nothing even close to that with my Moto X running the same OS on largely the same hardware with even a higher screen resolution.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Nothing even close to that with my Moto X running the same OS on largely the same hardware with even a higher screen resolution.

This is something I wish I could just emptyquote a few times a page, the last issue I had is something I'm pretty sure I caused since it solved itself with a reset/restore.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Honestly? They're Nexus issues.

I never close anything on my 6p and it never feels like it's slowing down or draining the battery faster. First android phone that is like that for me. I had to untrain myself re: closing apps all the time.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I am also the guy with 943/1824 ram free and 1.34gb used out of 25gb free
Several hours screen on time, great standby, no crazy wakelocks.
No bloat, minimal apps, I stream media from my pc at home mostly.

The only programs that have ever gotten kicked out of memory are on my hibernate list with greenify.

Kitchen roms/root am I right.?
:smugdog:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

galahan posted:

I am also the guy with 943/1824 ram free and 1.34gb used out of 25gb free
Several hours screen on time, great standby, no crazy wakelocks.
No bloat, minimal apps, I stream media from my pc at home mostly.

The only programs that have ever gotten kicked out of memory are on my hibernate list with greenify.

Kitchen roms/root am I right.?
:smugdog:

You use a hacked-together trashpail rom from xda on your phone but pretty much only with Plex and an automated task killer, great story.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'm honestly surprised the 5X seems to have that issue. Nexus 6 has been great in terms of performance and memory. I figured the Moto X Play with the 615 would kind of chug, but I can't see any reason the 5X should, ya know? Software fix likely or what?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I use a Moto X Style as my daily driver and my company just gave me an iPhone 6 as a perk. I never had the chance to use both simultaneously in the time when iOS was clearly the superior choice but nowadays and in terms of usage and performance I don't see why someone would buy an iPhone over a midtier Android phone. Material design is even prettier!

iOS is available in Catalan though. Google should keep their game up regarding language support.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cable posted:

Material design is even prettier!

I do see why someone would choose iOS over Android, but this part I can definitely agree with.

To me, modern Android just looks better than iOS.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Thermopyle posted:

I do see why someone would choose iOS over Android, but this part I can definitely agree with.

Well if you're within the Apple ecosystem or like the build of the phone or don't want to mess with configurations or options I see it as well.

The notification system is so different and feels so clumsy against what android has btw

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I dunno, my 5x is three months old and I never see any lag on anything other than Snapchat. Of course, I don't have a ton of stuff installed either, and I also don't use Facebook which seems to be the App From Hell from what I read.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

The whole navigation structure of iOS makes me furious. Like how to find poo poo especially in settings.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Require More Fire posted:

I dunno, my 5x is three months old and I never see any lag on anything other than Snapchat. Of course, I don't have a ton of stuff installed either, and I also don't use Facebook which seems to be the App From Hell from what I read.

Snapchat is just a really poor app though.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Yeah, with the facebook app installed my 5x would become pretty much unusable after a few days, without it i can go much longer between reboots (weeks).

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The FB pages manager is just as terrible. Before I got rid it was consistently in the top 5 for battery drain for the day even if I hadnt used it once

Messenger seems to have sorted itself out recently at least, everything used to grind to a halt with a chat head open not too long ago.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm just gonna leave this here:

6P, Chroma ROM, heavy heavy usage.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 11, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Why?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Uptime penis waving: the stupidest and nerdiest of all penis wavings.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
My average uptime has dropped significantly now that Nexus devices get monthly updates.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

butt dickus posted:

My average uptime has dropped significantly now that Nexus devices get monthly updates.
Yeah, I need to install it, but haven't gotten around to it.

Rastor posted:

Uptime penis waving: the stupidest and nerdiest of all penis wavings.

Umm, because there's been 2 pages of people complaining that they have to reboot every day/2 days/5 days... I guess it's fine to state that Android makes you reboot all the time, but not to post a counterpoint.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
My 6p suddenly stopped turning on for a while today. It had about 90% charge, not updating or anything. It didn't boot holding the power button for 10 seconds, or any combination of the power and volume buttons for 10 seconds. It eventually turned on and is working fine after holding the power button after what would have been about 30 seconds.

Has anyone had something like this happen? I'm not even doing anything weird, it's not rooted, has never been dropped and has no grip tape.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Umm, because there's been 2 pages of people complaining that they have to reboot every day/2 days/5 days... I guess it's fine to state that Android makes you reboot all the time, but not to post a counterpoint.

But it's not a counterpoint.

Who knows what you do with your phone. Maybe you install no apps. Maybe you don't care about or not sensitive to jank. No one actually thinks Android phones are incapable of staying on for months at a time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FWIW, I did the whole "uninstall Facebook for a week and only use the website" test and noticed absolutely zero difference. No change in battery usage, no change in performance, nothing.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

bull3964 posted:

FWIW, I did the whole "uninstall Facebook for a week and only use the website" test and noticed absolutely zero difference. No change in battery usage, no change in performance, nothing.

I'm trying this experiment but with metal for facebook and I'm not really feeling much difference either. The metal "app" is really clunky, too.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

AnimalChin posted:

I'm trying this experiment but with metal for facebook and I'm not really feeling much difference either. The metal "app" is really clunky, too.

ya it kinda sucks imo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

The whole navigation structure of iOS makes me furious. Like how to find poo poo especially in settings.

The answer is basically "just swipe sideways, perhaps with varying numbers of fingers, maybe longpress or hardpress too"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

vyst posted:

you shouldnt be in Settings it just works ok

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

The answer is basically "just swipe sideways, perhaps with varying numbers of fingers, maybe longpress or hardpress too"

iOS reminds me a lot of the old longpress discoverability problem with Gingerbread.

Cable though touched on the iOS thing that just cannot wrap my head around which is notifications. I mean, I get that Android is notification-centric and that the entire UX of Android is based around the notification system and it always has been so I try to be forgiving when I look at iOS's grafted-on, three tiered notification structure but no matter what it's just garbage.

There are badges which are worthless. I never look at the app drawer (though I understand that the iOS home screen is the app drawer--you know, the ugly worthless thing you never want to see ever) but even if I did, why would I go notification hunting? Shouldn't notifications be in one place?

Then there's the Notification Center which is worthless. It's buried behind two motions, it's flooded with useless bullshit (I'll admit this could be the fault of the iOS users I've encountered), and it's structured weirdly somehow. The Notification Center in OS X is just as lovely and just as worthless.

Then there are pop-ups, sounds, and alerts which are worthless. I hope you're around to catch those because once they're gone, they're gone!

Honestly if you told me to design the worst possible scheme for notifications using the worst ideas I could come up with, it'd look a lot like iOS. Of course I've seen plenty of people mess up Android notifications too (usually through neglect or poor notification settings) but iOS is just counterintuitive if your workflow is acting on things as they come in.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I just factory reset my m8 and it went from being a useless POS to 'like new'.

Faith in Android restored. :c00l:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

withoutclass posted:

I've stated getting the BT battery drain in recent weeks on my nexus 6 so might be a play services or latest update issue.

I had this, and some Googling suggested there was a problem with Weatherbug interacting with Marshmallow, where it turned on the BT and kept the phone awake. Uninstalling fixed it, and reportedly they just updated the app with an apology for screwing it up. I haven't reinstalled it yet though.

So, you probably have a stray app having permissions issues.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Skarsnik posted:

The FB pages manager is just as terrible. Before I got rid it was consistently in the top 5 for battery drain for the day even if I hadnt used it once

Messenger seems to have sorted itself out recently at least, everything used to grind to a halt with a chat head open not too long ago.

If you just use chrome for Facebook you can do Facebook and Messenger without needing two apps.

There's no reason to use the Facebook app.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah I realise, but the messenger app does actually do a pretty good job of it, it was only ever the performance issues that dragged it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is it just the Facebook app that causes the performance/battery issues? Or is it Messenger too