Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Raging Keyan Farlander could be fun.

Yepppppp

thespaceinvader posted:

Eh, maybe, but Tycho still REALLY wants autothrusters.

Boba crew is the absolute loving business, gently caress you Emperor Palpatine.

First critical hit the shuttle takes sends Palpatine out the airlock :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
So, been talking over the preview for a minute, and here are my knee-jerk reactions:
  • Rage is middling, funny for Keyan and Tycho and not great otherwise???
  • Mindlink was the EPT I wanted so I could give Poe real action economy, Scum only sucks and Mindlink is bad
  • "Gonk" is bad
  • No 3-turn on the JumpMaster's dial is real bad, I still have very little faith in Dengar pilot or this ship in general
  • R5-P8 was hugely overhyped, it's not terrible but it isn't some be-all end-all scum droid (also, FFG's preview makes no sense w/r/t R5-P8 and Boba "synergizing")
  • Boba crew is middling, best against regen aces and pwts for sure since he can chuck your repair droid or your 3PO or your Gunner or something, he's just a "win-more" button against most everyone else
  • Dengar crew is by far the best thing in this preview, he's a better version of Predator that you can slot in without spending your EPT, he is genuinely Real Good

Everything else I either haven't had time to digest or I don't really think is worthy of comment (Manaroo is way too expensive for what is essentially a support ship in my mind, etc.)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Does Boba Fett need to be on the ship attacking to do that trick?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Scum have really great crew options these days, 4/5 of the named bounty hunter crew cards are worth taking (suck it, Greedo)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Am I right in understanding that Gonk can get loaded up with more than one shield token? With the obvious caveat that you can only add/remove them one at a time.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

overdesigned posted:

Am I right in understanding that Gonk can get loaded up with more than one shield token? With the obvious caveat that you can only add/remove them one at a time.

It looks like it. You could slow roll in and put a couple tokens on him so that later on action = shield.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Raging Keyan Farlander could be fun.

The problem is you can only spend one stress per attack so if you get saddled with double stress the problem is you come out of the fight with stress still on you, which limits a lot of Keyan's options. The traditional way to use him is gaining a stress via a red maneuver or something like Stay on Target and then shedding it with the attack, allowing you to pull the same maneuvers/tricks every round without pause, getting saddled with excess stress interrupts that. It's actually less good for him.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

quote:

Whew, Lad

Kath Scarlet (42)
Firespray-31 (38)
Boba Fett (1)
Advanced Homing Missiles (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

Slot in your EPT and other upgrades of choice, instantly kill Palpatine in a POW list, kill Gunner on Fat Han, kill R5-P9 or R2-D2, etc., and then you're still Kath Scarlet after the fact so you can still be potentially scary

Fill up the rest of the list with a Z-swarm kitted with Chips and Missiles and you are potentially in business?

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Chemmy posted:

It looks like it. You could slow roll in and put a couple tokens on him so that later on action = shield.

Yeah, it's shield storage. Put Gonk + PTL + Hull Upgrade on Tel Trevura and he may just never die. Somehow get destroyed? Next Activation Phase he's back to 2 shields + 2 hull.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Youngster, rage, and 7 academies.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Edit: Nevermind, Gonk is scum only. :(

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 10, 2016

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Bossk in the YV-666 with Boba Fett, Dengar +1(Gonk? Tactician?)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I am glad that Gonk Droids are getting the representation they deserve

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gonk is awesome. Slow boat your yv-666, gunner + Bossk means you don't need actions to shoot well, you have an extremely durable ship on your hands.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

quote:

Seriously, Though, This List Could Be Terrifying

Kath Scarlet (47)
Firespray-31 (38)
Crack Shot (1)
Boba Fett (1)
Advanced Homing Missiles (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

Black Sun Soldier (17)
Z-95 Headhunter (13)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Feedback Array (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Black Sun Soldier (17)
Z-95 Headhunter (13)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Feedback Array (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Black Sun Soldier (17)
Z-95 Headhunter (13)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Feedback Array (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 100

Alternatively, give Kath Opportunist and make the Zs generic + Feedback Array? I don't know.

EDIT: No, we should Crack Shot here, fixing it
EDIT2: Also Boba is discard on use, so goodbye EM and title, we don't miss you :(

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 10, 2016

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010
Does the threat of facing a ship with Boba Fett crew simply stop the inclusion of Palpatine at this point? Is it even worth the risk to waste 29 pts for OGP+Palp if it's neutralized by a 3pt upgrade card?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kai Tave posted:

The problem is you can only spend one stress per attack so if you get saddled with double stress the problem is you come out of the fight with stress still on you, which limits a lot of Keyan's options. The traditional way to use him is gaining a stress via a red maneuver or something like Stay on Target and then shedding it with the attack, allowing you to pull the same maneuvers/tricks every round without pause, getting saddled with excess stress interrupts that. It's actually less good for him.

Yes there's a limit there but it's still viable. A buddy with Wingman or E2 + Kanaan Jarrus are all pretty viable options.

Keyan Farlander (29)
Rage (1)
B-Wing / E2 (1)
Kanan Jarrus (3)

Total: 34

Now every turn you can rage and still dump both stress with a white maneuver, plus be a stress relief for all your friends.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Weirdneal posted:

Does the threat of facing a ship with Boba Fett crew simply stop the inclusion of Palpatine at this point? Is it even worth the risk to waste 29 pts for OGP+Palp if it's neutralized by a 3pt upgrade card?

You will still take Palpatine and either deal with Advanced Homing when it comes up, or fly appropriately differently. It's a solid counter, but doesn't negate the list, lol.

EDIT: they still chew through shields or have to AHM you, Boba by himself doesn't insta-beat Palps, and you aren't trading 3 points for 32 or whatever.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 10, 2016

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
They also have to roll a crit (outside of advanced homing missiles), which palpatine can negate, right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This could be fun:

ANGRY PILOTS

Keyan Farlander (34)
B-Wing (29)
Rage (1)
B-Wing / E2 (1)
Kanan Jarrus (3)

Tycho Celchu (28)
A-Wing (26)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Wired (1)
Rage (1)
Autothrusters (2)

62 points total. Who would go with it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Weirdneal posted:

Countermeasures finally finds a use.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

They also have to roll a crit (outside of advanced homing missiles), which palpatine can negate, right?

He can add an evade but he can't gently caress with enemy ship dice. But seriously, it's either "chew up 5 shields before Boba can go to work" or "run a Firespray or YV-666 with Boba and AHM plus whatever else you need," and if you're going to go after Palpatine you are probably giving away your flank, and then you are getting one-and-two-turned by Whisper + other ace. It isn't as insane as people think it is. It's good, and it's a good counter, but lmao if you think Boba makes Palpatine unplayable. He does not.

EDIT: Change your dice to an evade. I forgot "add" is a totally different thing per FFG's rules, so no he cannot add a dice result. He can change one. Want to be clear, here.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 10, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This could be fun:

ANGRY PILOTS

Keyan Farlander (34)
B-Wing (29)
Rage (1)
B-Wing / E2 (1)
Kanan Jarrus (3)

Tycho Celchu (28)
A-Wing (26)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Wired (1)
Rage (1)
Autothrusters (2)

Why, the best pilot in the resistane: Poe Dameron!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
So could you Electronic Baffle away a stress token before you spread it around with Attani Mindlink? Not that it makes the Mindlink good, but it could almost make it playable, I guess.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Isn't boba just 1 point though? I mean, if you have an extra crew slot. Why not?

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This could be fun:

ANGRY PILOTS

Keyan Farlander (34)
B-Wing (29)
Rage (1)
B-Wing / E2 (1)
Kanan Jarrus (3)

Tycho Celchu (28)
A-Wing (26)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Wired (1)
Rage (1)
Autothrusters (2)

Why would you want Wired on Tycho? Rage gives a free focus token. Give him PTL and Prockets.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm gonna assume Paul made boba fett after the 2014 championship and that we'll get TR8R trooper as an imperial crew member from last year's championship. :3:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Hencoe posted:

Isn't boba just 1 point though? I mean, if you have an extra crew slot. Why not?

Because Boba Fett, to do what you want him to do, is either just killing ships who are already dead (he's great at getting rid of Corran Horn and Poe Dameron and "Red Ace" but they're already dead by the time you're dealing crits to them, anyway???) or he needs to be put on a ship with a missile slot and a crew slot together, which limits your choices to the YV-666 or the Firespray-31, who generally like other crew or have other limiting factors (Kath loves K4, you can't take Boba pilot, generic Firesprays aren't great; YV-666 can't use Bossk pilot with Boba, generic has to make room for the crew and take a missile and is PS2, etc. etc. etc.) The only way you're getting Han's Gunner or Yorr's Emperor off of them early is to succeed an AHM attack with Boba crew. Otherwise, you're still stuck stripping off shields, in which case you'd probably want Greedo crew to work with Boba Fett crew, and now we're talking two crew slots to limit variance.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Weirdneal posted:

Yeah, it's shield storage. Put Gonk + PTL + Hull Upgrade on Tel Trevura and he may just never die. Somehow get destroyed? Next Activation Phase he's back to 2 shields + 2 hull.

Correct me if I'm missing something but, PTL can only perform actions in your action bar, and even if it could do an action on an upgrade card it doesn't get around the limit of only performing an action once per round.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poopy Palpy posted:

Correct me if I'm missing something but, PTL can only perform actions in your action bar, and even if it could do an action on an upgrade card it doesn't get around the limit of only performing an action once per round.

That does sound correct.

Experimental Interface would work.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, you could get one shield back via standard action, and PtL to do something else, which honestly is still pretty good.

EI would lose you the hull upgrade and you can still only do an individual action once per round.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

No hull upgrade if you take EI

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tekopo posted:

No hull upgrade if you take EI

overdesigned posted:

EI would lose you the hull upgrade and you can still only do an individual action once per round.

True enough. I guess PtL to get the shield first and do something else is good enough.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I just think Gonk is bad, guys. Like, you need to slow-fly to start banking shields (and burn actions), and even then you can only regenerate one a turn (also by burning your action). You need an EPT to justify this, and only PTL will work, which limits you solely to the JumpMaster (or Kavil, I guess???), which means you also lose Unhinged Astromech, which means you are either turning/banking left or going straight, always, every turn. You could play "gotcha!" with this to surprise someone exactly once. Gonk is a crew! I still do not like him.

EDIT:^^^^ EI means you can't boost, which is arguably even worse than just sucking it up and taking PTL? Like I said I just think that maybe Gonk is bad
EDIT2: or if you're talking Tel Trevura you lose Hull Upgrade? Still think maybe Gonk is just bad

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 10, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gonk is not an astromech

EDIT: as well as that, you can EI to do both actions in a single turn, or double load/double take.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Tekopo posted:

Gonk is not an astromech

woooooord

EDIT: I still don't like him for very similar reasons

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 10, 2016

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

guts and bolts posted:

woooooord

EDIT: I still don't like him

If it makes you feel better, the preview article author made the same mistake.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Poopy Palpy posted:

If it makes you feel better, the preview article author made the same mistake.

This was my problem - I took basically all my information from the preview article, and didn't actually look at the cards via link because I'm supposed to be working. It's why I'm also still baffled at how R5-P8 and Boba "synergize" well.

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

For the free action, yes. But the first action can be from a card. I'm assuming you've already got shields stored up when you first got destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Wait you can't double load, double take, but with EI you can load then immediately take. And with both bossk and gunner, you don't care about the stress to shoot good.

• Locked thread