Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

On Jean Grey's grave no less!

It's uh, cool, she gave him psychic permission! Scott said so! He wouldn't lie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Do you mean fixed narratively or are you talking about his powers? Because the powers thing was undone at the end of Whedon's own run. If you mean narratively, I was never that fond of Whedon's take on Cyclops, it just seemed like a nerdy guy who related to Cyclops more childishly trying to make his favorite character seem cooler than Wolverine. And it led to a decade+ of Cyclops being horrible.

I'm talking about his powers. At the end of whedon's run he's like "oh, it's hard to hold them in so I'm gonna wear this anyway", which is sort of a lame cop-out but at least opens the door for other situations where he's able to not shoot lasers for an amount of time, like, for an 'ace up his sleeve' or whatever. But then it was never built upon or brought up again and now he got phoenixed and he's got less control than ever. It sucks.

ps cyclops is cooler than wolverine

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I think it's kind of romantic.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

bobkatt013 posted:

On Jean Grey's grave no less!

Eh, I'm pretty sure he hosed Madeline Pryor on Jean's grave at least once.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

With how many graves Jean Gray's left all over the place, who hasn't hosed on at least one of them?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

redbackground posted:

Yeah. That whole last story arc was about Jean stopping Scott from walking away from Emma and quitting the X-Men. The whole run was pretty much telling readers to quit pining over their great love who they have nothing in common with, and just have crazy sex with another woman.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Thaddius the Large posted:

With how many graves Jean Gray's left all over the place, who hasn't hosed on at least one of them?

Well...true.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I am sure X-man did at least once!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A good comic idea: X-Man of the House, a domestic sitcom in the mid-20th century mode. We follow the time-lost young Cyclops, and his teenage efforts to manage the demands of raising a family including his children (Cable, Stryfe, Nate Grey, Rachel, Ruby, ??), grandchildren (Hope, Hyperstorm, ??), the Phoenix Force, Emma Frost, and a demon queen, all under one roof. Complications arise from his meddling relations like brothers, alternate reality brothers, possibly Apocalypse, and alcoholic space pirate dad.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Squizzle posted:

A good comic idea: X-Man of the House, a domestic sitcom in the mid-20th century mode. We follow the time-lost young Cyclops, and his teenage efforts to manage the demands of raising a family including his children (Cable, Stryfe, Nate Grey, Rachel, Ruby, ??), grandchildren (Hope, Hyperstorm, ??), the Phoenix Force, Emma Frost, and a demon queen, all under one roof. Complications arise from his meddling relations like brothers, alternate reality brothers, possibly Apocalypse, and alcoholic space pirate dad.

I like it, the plot ideas are endless. In the pilot episode, an effort to draw up a chart scheduling who gets the bathroom at what time each morning leads to time traveling hijinks, accidentally opening a tear in the space time continuum and threatening the fabric of the multiverse; also, Hope asks Cable for help on a project due at school, but this makes Stryfe feel left out.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Squizzle posted:

With Deadpool as Cable's annoying best friend in a Fonzie style role for the ages!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm talking about his powers. At the end of whedon's run he's like "oh, it's hard to hold them in so I'm gonna wear this anyway", which is sort of a lame cop-out but at least opens the door for other situations where he's able to not shoot lasers for an amount of time, like, for an 'ace up his sleeve' or whatever. But then it was never built upon or brought up again and now he got phoenixed and he's got less control than ever. It sucks.

Actually what happened was that whatever Emma did to fix him was "wearing off". It still feels a little editorially mandated but there was no door left open.

quote:

ps cyclops is cooler than wolverine
Not when he's trying to be Wolverine, he isn't.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It feels a lot editorially mandated. There is no question in my mind whedon would have left him that way if he was allowed to.

Lurdiak posted:

Not when he's trying to be Wolverine, he isn't.

It is not scott's fault that many writers cannot differentiate between various types of badass.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 10, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky posted:

With Deadpool as Cable's annoying best friend in a Fonzie style role for the ages!

Deadpool is the neighbor who Cable converses over the fence with, Wilson.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

It feels a lot editorially mandated. There is no question in my mind whedon would have left him that way if he was allowed to.

You should ask him if he undeletes his twitter.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hah! I forgot about that.

Here's a panel that I like (don't have the source, sadly, I probably stole it from this thread tbh)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That's fine, no one remembers their names because no one cares about inhumans.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Spider-man is pretty good at giving advice:

(Spider-Men #5)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Squizzle posted:

It's an X-men version of the Cosby Show - multiple kids, endless grandparents, countless guest stars.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Say Nothing posted:

Deadpool is the neighbor who Cable converses over the fence with, Wilson.

Deadpool is Cockroach.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is Mr. Sinister his boss? Like, a Supernintendo Chalmers figure who's always yelling at Cyclops?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ferrule posted:

an X-men version of the Cosby Show

:stonk:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Looks like Claremont's back in action!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

It’s even worse because Alex Summers has the loving smuggest old mutant public persona that I hate. Pull your pants up, mutants, I led an X-team in the 90s. I can talk down to you because I had a successful series. Yeah, but you raped women, Alex Summers. So, brings you down a couple notches.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Travis343 posted:

Is Mr. Sinister his boss? Like, a Supernintendo Chalmers figure who's always yelling at Cyclops?
Mr. Sinister is definitely Mr. Wilson.

Always hidden, always willing to help for his own reasons with cryptic advice Cyclops doesn't fully understand until OH NO HE'S STEALING MY DNA AGAIN

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Maduo posted:

Spider-man is pretty good at giving advice:

(Spider-Men #5)

He forgot about bricks and trucks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Well, yeah, he forgot.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Serious Frolicking posted:

That's fine, no one remembers their names because no one cares about inhumans.

It kind of sucks how much I don't give a poo poo about inhumans, considering they've basically replaced mutants because of Fox. But I just can't feel the same interest I've always had for the X-Men, no matter how long and how badly their books have sucked. And now they've gotten worse because it feels like they don't know what to do with a property that won't make them movie money, so it's just another extinction event.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

If you mean narratively, I was never that fond of Whedon's take on Cyclops, it just seemed like a nerdy guy who related to Cyclops more childishly trying to make his favorite character seem cooler than Wolverine.

I liked it just because we'd been told for like 50 loving years that Cyclops was super awesome cool badass, guys!, it was good to finally have him actually shown the way he was always described, even if it was a bit over the top.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That never happened, we were told he was a good leader and tactician which was shown a lot, just not in Whedons run really.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of tactics:

Jenny Everywhere: When Casting Calls

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Doc Hawkins posted:

FAPPO!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I liked it just because we'd been told for like 50 loving years that Cyclops was super awesome cool badass, guys!, it was good to finally have him actually shown the way he was always described, even if it was a bit over the top.

How about the time that he beat the entire X-men team when he was powerless?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I thought that was Storm? Or did she just beat up Cyclops while powerless?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Elfface posted:

I thought that was Storm? Or did she just beat up Cyclops while powerless?

The time I am thinking of is when the X-men are tricked to think Cyclops is the Dark Phoenix by Mastermind

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wierdworld #3

Just what is Goelita's deal with wizards anyway?

Oh.

:allears: Those high fiving wizards tho.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of tactics:

Jenny Everywhere: When Casting Calls

It's neat that Jenny is public domain. More characters should be.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

In Weirdworld, all friendships are based on dancing:

(Also Weirdworld 3, read Weirdworld)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

The time I am thinking of is when the X-men are tricked to think Cyclops is the Dark Phoenix by Mastermind

He had his powers, but it was still really bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

It’s even worse because Alex Summers has the loving smuggest old mutant public persona that I hate. Pull your pants up, mutants, I led an X-team in the 90s. I can talk down to you because I had a successful series. Yeah, but you raped women, Alex Summers. So, brings you down a couple notches.

When did Alex get his rape on?

Last I remember he had some horrible scarring from something and Kang killed his daughter via The Wasp, or something to that effect.