Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Squizzle posted:

The Soul Gem should definitely confer some wisdom, imo. Otherwise, lovely gem that just fights ghosts???

It's power over life and death (and un-death, I guess) so not really lovely. But probably the biggest to drive you insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If you think about it, insanity is just another form of ghostfight.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Squizzle posted:

The Soul Gem should definitely confer some wisdom, imo. Otherwise, lovely gem that just fights ghosts???

It's Stormbringer, from the Elric novels, turned into a green gem. At least originally.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As a DC fanboy I don't want any gems. The Anti-Life equation is good enough for me.

edit: Though I will concede for Wolverine's healing factor, especially after a night of playing hockey.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Madkal posted:

As a DC fanboy I don't want any gems. The Anti-Life equation is good enough for me.

edit: Though I will concede for Wolverine's healing factor, especially after a night of playing hockey.

As a DC fanboy, you're gonna need the Reality gem to fix what's wrong with current DC :colbert:.

Also regeneration is cool and all, but does your hair regenerate to a certain length too? I know X-23 has been burned to the point that she's bald and then within a scene or two regenerates her hair to full length, does that mean if I get Wolverine regeneration my hair will have to be the same hair Wolverine has and if I try to cut it it just grows back?

And what about finger nails, what if your powers decide that 6 inch nails is what your body's natural state for fingernails is? I'm just saying, there are downsides to Wolverine's powers.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

does that mean if I get Wolverine regeneration my hair will have to be the same hair Wolverine has and if I try to cut it it just grows back?
As someone whose hair is not as lush and luxurious as it used to be, I would be quite happy to get a full HAIR +50 boost.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DrProsek posted:

As a DC fanboy, you're gonna need the Reality gem to fix what's wrong with current DC :colbert:.

Also regeneration is cool and all, but does your hair regenerate to a certain length too? I know X-23 has been burned to the point that she's bald and then within a scene or two regenerates her hair to full length, does that mean if I get Wolverine regeneration my hair will have to be the same hair Wolverine has and if I try to cut it it just grows back?

And what about finger nails, what if your powers decide that 6 inch nails is what your body's natural state for fingernails is? I'm just saying, there are downsides to Wolverine's powers.

Wolverine's hair is a secondary mutation onto itself.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Madkal posted:

Woah pump the brakes here, son. While the Gauntlet and individual gems can conceivably be used for good, the Equation doesn't have much use beyond cosmic fascism. Are we getting a profound look into your psyche here?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

Woah pump the brakes here, son. While the Gauntlet and individual gems can conceivably be used for good, the Equation doesn't have much use beyond cosmic fascism. Are we getting a profound look into your psyche here?

But I would use it for good and.......Okay I got nothing. Fine, I'll bite. Which gem can I use to make the Canucks win a Stanley Cup?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Not even the Infinity Gauntlet lets you drink from the Stan Lee Cup.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Chaos Hippy posted:

This is a good derail.

One day I will get my hands on a meat grinder and make some bacon burgers. I'll make sure to book the next day off for the inevitable cardiac event.

Are you planning on grinding your own beef? I do this all the time with about a sixpound mix of superlean and 85% lean ground beef, three pounds of bacon (cooked then crumbled, and also closer to 2 1/2 pounds after eating the slices while cooking) and two packs of shredded cheese. I mix in my seasonings, bust out the burger press and can pull over 30 burgers out of it. Freeze em up and you're good for two months after two hours work.

I group them in packs of four with wax paper in case I forget to thaw them the night before I make them. If thawed, they cook up in about three minutes, but I also use a cast iron weight press to cook them with.

When I'm eating healthy, I'll do the same thing using only the 95% lean beef.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

I got free bacon and cheese sausages(???) with my groceries this week and they're pretty drat good but i feel like enjoying these is going to make me turn into the kind of person that idolizes epic meal time and the meatship.

Spinach and feta sausages are where it's at. Only downside is hearing people make jokes about your green sausage. Every time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How bad is y'all's comic backlog right now? Mine is terrible, I'm never going to catch up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm nearing 6 months, so at least I can just read all the Marvel stuff on Unlimited then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Current stuff? A couple weeks, maybe? Trades and such? I still have books from BSSSS 2014 I haven't touched. :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I'm nearing 6 months, so at least I can just read all the Marvel stuff on Unlimited then.

Once MU gets through Secret Wars then I will belong to a service that piles up unread comics for me.

I tried out keeping current with comics week to week through SW but I'm really a person that prefers to be able to read entire runs at once, I forget too much stuff week to week.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

How bad is y'all's comic backlog right now? Mine is terrible, I'm never going to catch up.

One million years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Valiant is ruining mine

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Current stuff I read right away, but for trades I think I got 3 on my side table waiting so not too bad. How long does it take most people to read a single issue?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

15 minutes or so.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think right now all I have is the Dredd I'm going through, although sometimes I forget what day it is and end up behind on current releases.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's not a backlog, it's a library. :colbert: It's a sad person who doesn't own more books than they'll ever be able to read.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Squizzle posted:

It's not a backlog, it's a library. :colbert: It's a sad person who doesn't own more books than they'll ever be able to read.
I read so fast and so voraciously that I have to re-read everything I own over and over and over again, and then when a book I've been looking forward to comes out I finish it in two days and go back to wanting to read something but having nothing new to read. Treasure your slowness.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I must only use this power for good. Commence the Omega Meeting.

Little man. Can you outrace the Omega Meeting? The Death That Is Having To Listen To Your Boss?!

*Batman is blasted back to a cave where he drinks lovely coffee and listens to Vandal Savage give a presentation on the seven habits of highly effective hunter-gatherers.*

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My backlog is in different states of delay. I'd say about 70% of the current stuff I follow I'm completely caught up on. I think the longest I'm behind on a current running series that I have already have paid for and is just sitting is four issues. Christmas time really put me behind on stuff but I have priority stuff that I generally read within at least a day or two of release. For stuff that's long since done I have a big backlog, but who doesn't? If you're a comic reader that really wants to read a lot of stuff you should have a sizable backlog that you can pick something random out of at any given time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As a Canadian I am trying to figure out how to even have a backlog right now. I have been cutting titles just to save money so I am only reading maybe 2 or so comics per week.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

As a Canadian I am trying to figure out how to even have a backlog right now. I have been cutting titles just to save money so I am only reading maybe 2 or so comics per week.

digital sales where you can buy literally thousands of comic book pages for a dollar are my problem

This all goes back to me buying 10 trades of Constantine without realizing they weren't 140 page trades they were 500 page omnis, this is the danger when you cannot heft a book.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It's mostly stuff that I've bought that I haven't had the time to really read yet, not monthlies that I'm behind on. Some of it I've already read but just purchased. I still have Arkwright Integral, Usagi Yojimbo Saga 1-3, Nexus Omnibus 1-3, Complete Elfquest 1-2 and Finder Library 1-2 staring at me from the bookshelf.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Skwirl posted:

Opposite end of the scale, I've been re-reading Lucifer and there's a woman who's immortal, but has a miscarriage every morning.

Seriously? Gross. American comics are hosed up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Seriously? Gross. American comics are hosed up.

Its suppose to be gross and messed up. That is the whole point of it and how immortality is not a good thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

When there are linewide Comixology sales, I usually go for several full runs of series (mostly Vertigo type things, not eighty years of Batman or anything.*)
I can imagine dying before getting around to reading the complete Scalped I bought for a dollar per issue two or three years ago.

*e: Though I did get all the giant recent Batman artist collections when they had a steep discount digitally. I've decided to work through those chronologically, then up through various BMan events I already have on Backlog. Comixology might just go out of business before I get there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 10, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bobkatt013 posted:

Its suppose to be gross and messed up. That is the whole point of it and how immortality is not a good thing.
It sounds more like having a miscarriage every morning is not a good thing, and wouldn't be fun even if you only did it for 40 years then died.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

It sounds more like having a miscarriage every morning is not a good thing, and wouldn't be fun even if you only did it for 40 years then died.

The lady pissed off some god and made it so she resets at the end of the day, and the day that gets repeated is the one where she lost her child.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Let's be real there's an even grosser part where the ghostbaby is later used as a magic WMD.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Soonmot posted:

Are you planning on grinding your own beef? I do this all the time with about a sixpound mix of superlean and 85% lean ground beef, three pounds of bacon (cooked then crumbled, and also closer to 2 1/2 pounds after eating the slices while cooking) and two packs of shredded cheese. I mix in my seasonings, bust out the burger press and can pull over 30 burgers out of it. Freeze em up and you're good for two months after two hours work.

I group them in packs of four with wax paper in case I forget to thaw them the night before I make them. If thawed, they cook up in about three minutes, but I also use a cast iron weight press to cook them with.

When I'm eating healthy, I'll do the same thing using only the 95% lean beef.

No, just bacon. I've lived long enough.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i dont really read monthyl comics anymore except for the stuff that catches my eye on the wall on wednesday before/after my shift

i do read 2000AD tho and my backlog for that is approx 1900 issues

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

bobkatt013 posted:

Its suppose to be gross and messed up.

Well, good. They hit what they aimed for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

I've been reading a lot of old-rear end comics, so I'm pretty behind on most modern ones. I'm several issues behind on Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Deadpool, haven't even read any Spider-man 2099, etc.

Lightning Lord posted:

I too worry that eating a meal will affect my taste in entertainment, and plan my life around this and actively angst about it.

You're really bad at getting jokes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
As far as well adjusted immortals go, didn't DC One Million have Superman and Lois living happily ever after in the center of the sun or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

TwoPair posted:

As far as well adjusted immortals go, didn't DC One Million have Superman and Lois living happily ever after in the center of the sun or something like that?

Yes, but he'd sat there for millenia, and she was created on the fly at the end of the series. Neither had really lived "well-adjusted" lives for the entire gap.

• Locked thread