Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm the weirdo who tries to take the single seats on the orange line and otherwise wants to stand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Tatsujin posted:

its me im the weirdo who prefers sitting uncomfortably on top of the little standing table in the operator area of the red line car for the added privacy

I'm 6'3" I'm p sure if I stood on that thing my head would be on the roof

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bloody posted:

if your bus lanes have bollards they must be very separate from the actual road and basically are just dedicated busways?

i mean you can also just pour a curb between the lanes. thats what they do in a lot of places for bus lanes/streetcar lanes and whatevs

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

cool transit opening dates that got announced recently:

the 11.5 mile / 6 station LA gold line extension to Azusa will open March 5. travel times end to end to Union Station will be 50 minutes
and the 6.6 mile / 7 station expo line extension to Santa Monica will open May 21. travel times end to end to Metro Center will be 46 minutes

both of these will be massively faster than rush hour times according to googy maps

also in Seattle, the 3.5 mile / 2 station UW link subway extension will open March 19. this will be very cool because it includes a stop in the hipster area with lots of bars around and also at the UW stadium for games

ok cya

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you dont stand for the entire ride on the bus/train after youve been sitting your rear end all day at work

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dedicated busways don't have stoplights

a bus lane separated from traffic by jersey barriers is only modestly better than a regular bus. it's like light rail minus the multi billion price tag.

dedicated busways can deliver service quality comparable to a conventional "heavy" rail infrastructure. unfortunately it costs very nearly as much as said rail and has a tiny fraction of the maximum carrying capacity

not disputing your numbers but how do busways cost as much as rail?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they don't, hence

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's like light rail minus the multi billion price tag.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Unless you're de blasio, in which case buslanes price tag gets nudged to just over a billion, so that you can make your case for a pet streetcar project (which still costs 2.5x as much)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

they don't, hence
you're mixing up quotes. he said it's significantly cheaper than light rail for similar service, but to deliver service similar to heavy rail costs a similar amount

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theflyingexecutive posted:

not disputing your numbers but how do busways cost as much as rail?

it costs as much as building a freeway in an urban area. bulldozing hundreds if not thousands of city blocks and pouring millions of yards of concrete isn't cheap.

the expensive part of a rail infrastructure isn't the tracks, signals, vehicles, it's the clear rights of way, tunnels, and support structures for elevated segments -- costs that are essentially unchanged in a bus rapid transit project.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

Unless you're de blasio, in which case buslanes price tag gets nudged to just over a billion, so that you can make your case for a pet streetcar project (which still costs 2.5x as much)

the brooklyn<=>queens streetcar project is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of

fortunately there's no fuckin way it will get built. by the time they break ground, either the city's surplus will have evaporated, de blasio will be out of office, or both

fun fact: brooklyn/queens used to have a massive streetcar network that connected them. it got shut down in favor of buses, because they were faster, cheaper, and more convenient.

why the gently caress are we looking at $2.5 billion to re-create one line from a system that didn't work in the 1940s?

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 10, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fortunately there's no fuckin way it will get built. by the time they break ground, either the city's surplus will have evaporated, de blasio will be out of office, or both

fun fact: brooklyn/queens used to have a massive streetcar network that connected them. it got shut down in favor of buses, because they were faster, cheaper, and more convenient.

why the gently caress are we looking at $2.5 billion to re-create one line from a system that didn't work in the 1940s?

dc did it! it's a huge boondoggle that still isn't usable but i'm sure it won't be a problem at all for new york city!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

dc did it! it's a huge boondoggle that still isn't usable but i'm sure it won't be a problem at all for new york city!

the h street streetcar is such a loving joke

just have a few accordion buses run extremely frequently on that route, with decent late night service

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also it is all in the east river flood zone, and cannot reroute around it when a flood happens

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

the h street streetcar is such a loving joke

just have a few accordion buses run extremely frequently on that route, with decent late night service

that's the obvious solution, but clearly spending years tearing up the street, running overhead lines, and testing the streetcars makes for better press? i guess?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
light rail has the hypothetical benefit of transit-oriented development

the thinking is, real estate owners and developers are not going to take bets on developing useful things near bus stops because a bus stop could change at any moment. since light rail has an expensively fixed path, no one can take the transit connection away from whatever it is you are about to build

the problem with this thinking is that light rail sucks as much poo poo as a bus. people with money will not ride either one if they can avoid it, and nobody re-develops land for people who don't have money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

speaking on the h st line specifically, the neighborhood revitalization gentrification was happening well before they ever broke ground on the rails, so that's not really a huge consideration.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

h street used to be a cheap place to drink but now its just as lovely as the rest of dc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the pug and the argonaut are still cheap.

so they're packed, also.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the problem with this thinking is that light rail sucks as much poo poo as a bus. people with money will not ride either one if they can avoid it, and nobody re-develops land for people who don't have money.
what? no.

studies have shown that people really want to live near rail, even if it's lovely service and they never take it. streetcars are to spur development and get tax bux not move people. nobody in most US cities cares about living near a bus line, even silver level BRT. bus routes get changed, are easily neglected by cities, and put off emissions.

also you're getting light rail (like the LA Blue line that moves 90k a day) confused with streetcars or something. exclusive ROW light rail can move a shitload of people, even with grade crossings.

from a pure moving people for the $ perspective, BRT is fantastic, and that's why nerds love it. but with induced demand making the traffic argument dubious, cities want transit that makes them the money to operate it or significantly change their city. rail may do that, BRT on average won't.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i think one of the answers as to why cities love light rail is that since the old days of streetcars is that they have always been used speculatively. developers used privately owned streetcar lines to service their own suburbs with the idea that the streetcar line would make money off of the suburb, and the suburb and associated retail would fill out because of the streetcar line. developers have always done this with rail, and since the 50's, with bypasses and highway structures that are state and federally funded. now that the possible places for suburbs are pretty well filled out in most cities, developers are looking to gentrify existing inner-city neighborhoods by using government subsidized light rail to the same effect.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it costs as much as building a freeway in an urban area. bulldozing hundreds if not thousands of city blocks and pouring millions of yards of concrete isn't cheap.

the expensive part of a rail infrastructure isn't the tracks, signals, vehicles, it's the clear rights of way, tunnels, and support structures for elevated segments -- costs that are essentially unchanged in a bus rapid transit project.

oh you mean real brt not just putting up some ticket machines and painting lanes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
streetcars are cool is why ppl like them simple.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
streetcars are coming back to San Diego by 2050

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

streetcars are coming back to San Diego by 2050

Cool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cygni posted:

also you're getting light rail (like the LA Blue line that moves 90k a day) confused with streetcars or something. exclusive ROW light rail can move a shitload of people, even with grade crossings.

yes, in context we were talking about streetcars.

whether you use bus or rail to implement the system, if you want actual "rapid transit," it can't be mixed with traffic. period.

grade crossings are a disaster for both on time performance and total speed. removing grade crossings after the fact is insanely expensive. if you don't do it up front, you're not going to do it later.

Cygni posted:

from a pure moving people for the $ perspective, BRT is fantastic, and that's why nerds love it. but with induced demand making the traffic argument dubious, cities want transit that makes them the money to operate it or significantly change their city. rail may do that, BRT on average won't.

"light rail" and "BRT" in america are both bullshit, because they usually mean "an expensive streetcar" and "bus lanes"

neither one works worth poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

San Diego is extending the blue line to service UTC/UCSD as well. pretty cool if you go that way (it's a nightmare for pedestrians/transit atm)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

San Diego's light rail has elevated tracks and is pretty iconic

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yard salad posted:

i think one of the answers as to why cities love light rail is that since the old days of streetcars is that they have always been used speculatively. developers used privately owned streetcar lines to service their own suburbs with the idea that the streetcar line would make money off of the suburb, and the suburb and associated retail would fill out because of the streetcar line. developers have always done this with rail, and since the 50's, with bypasses and highway structures that are state and federally funded. now that the possible places for suburbs are pretty well filled out in most cities, developers are looking to gentrify existing inner-city neighborhoods by using government subsidized light rail to the same effect.

this is a lot of words for "transit oriented development"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my favorite part of the movie HER was when the guy took the train to the beach. and, its happening. and im ready.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

San Diego's light rail has elevated tracks and is pretty iconic

San Diego also has a dumb at grade railway right through the city which has to constantly blow its horns at night so it all evens out in the end

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yea I don't live in that part of town so worksforme

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the mbta green line has grade crossings and moves 330k passengers per day. additionally, the extension plan to somerville was by itself enough to spur development of somerville without even laying any track

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a lot of words for "transit oriented development"

every few weeks i get an effortpost stuck in my posting colon. once i squeeze it out i can get back to my usual diarrehic poo poo-posting

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

the mbta green line has grade crossings and moves 330k passengers per day. additionally, the extension plan to somerville was by itself enough to spur development of somerville without even laying any track

the T is good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

the T is good

mega fuckin extremely agreed. only good thing about boston tbh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

mega fuckin extremely agreed. only good thing about boston tbh

well, there's me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

this has more to do with the sheer desperation of boston's commuters than the relative virtues of MBTA development plans

when your alternative is winding through potholed cowpaths and indian roads, well, any port in a storm

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my sister used to live in Somerville, it was good, and extremely "cute"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
boston is a neat city

boston transit is kinda terrible

• Locked thread