Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wasn't the EGTTR theme a pre-order exclusive, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm using Dragon Quest Heroes theme, if anyone is wondering.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I don't care much for BLOPS3's zombie mode but the accompanying theme is pretty cool, a jazzy soundtrack over top of a cityscape

E. The worst was the Oddworld one, the graphics were cool but the background music and the button sounds were just obnoxious

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 10, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Every theme I've looked at so far is either distracting or just too busy. The Witcher is my favorite series and both free themes are too loving much. I will likely have the plain ol' blue PS default for life.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Every theme I've looked at so far is either distracting or just too busy. The Witcher is my favorite series and both free themes are too loving much. I will likely have the plain ol' blue PS default for life.

corn love

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I actually rather like the Bloodborne one as well as the Tales of Zestiria's for different reasons since the moods are completely different. The Skullgirls one is also pretty good with its jazzy music.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I normally stand by the Heavensward preorder theme as my usual go-to, but lately I've been using the Mayfair theme from The Order 1886 and it's pretty nice too!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

I do not get enough use out of my PS4 for a $3 joke.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

this isn't a loving joke

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You must be great & popular at parties.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I can't tell you how genuinely pleasant it is to hit that PS button and be treated to (and sometimes surprised by) roasting corn and smooth jazz. It's absolutely worth the $3. Hell, I spent money on Corn Love for the PS3 and that didn't even have the smooth jazz to it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The only theme other than default that I have ever used is the 20th anniversary one. EGTTR looked nice but it isn't available for purchase, and fire watch looks like something I would use because it doesn't mess with any of the icons..

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Grim Fandango theme you got for preordering on PS4 was loving awesome

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Buttermilk Bay theme is way more excited about playing PlayStation than I am and I love the weird beepy cat noises for menu items. I might be a tad biased though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not that it isn't funny but I'm on the main menu maybe thirty seconds a week.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Tearaway theme is good and soothing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Policenaut posted:

I typically hate custom themes but the FF7R theme that came with FF7 HD is pretty nice. A new version of Aerith's Theme playing in the background with some shots of FF7R in different menus and FF7 sound effects for button presses.

That sounds awesome, but I don't really want to buy FF7 again. I guess this is how they sucker people like me into buying the game

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Buy FF7 again.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Takoluka posted:

Buy FF7 again.

I didn't buy it the first time.:smuggo:

I didn't play the game at the time, and now the graphics are just too dated for me to put up with since I have no nostalgia for the game itself. I feel like I missed out on a real big cultural phenomenon by having my first Final Fantasy game be 8.:(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played 7 for the first time like 2 years ago, it still looks great to me.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm using the FF7 Theme. It's really great. The menu's are neat, graphics fit nicely and the background music fits perfectly for idling/browsing the xmb.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That's also why I like the Flower theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrA5DhHJT78

Don't know if it's on PS4 though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SpacePig posted:

I didn't buy it the first time.:smuggo:

I didn't play the game at the time, and now the graphics are just too dated for me to put up with since I have no nostalgia for the game itself. I feel like I missed out on a real big cultural phenomenon by having my first Final Fantasy game be 8.:(

FF6 also had dated graphics, but it's still worth playing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Late 2D stuff has aged a lot better than early 3D stuff, that said FF7 doesn't really bother me at all because it's only the normal movement 3D characters that are really bad, the digitised backgrounds and battle graphics still look okay to me.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

In Training posted:

I played 7 for the first time like 2 years ago, it still looks great to me.

I tried for the first time as few years ago too. Never owned a PS1 so I have no love for the game and couldnt care about the remake any more than any other FF game.

Got to disc 2 and just couldnt keep going. The battle system was boring and dated, traveling around the world just tedious, and the graphics being 1990's polygons didnt help.

Ive tried every FF game for at least 10-12 hours. The only ones i managed to beat are 10,12, and 13 (weirdly enough). 12 is my favorite despite the main protagonist falling right into the feminine boy child trope.

strategery fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 10, 2016

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

The blocky models in FF7 when not in battle can be a bit jarring at first, but keep playing. Pretty much everything else graphically in the game still holds up pretty well even in comparison to 8 and 9. The prerendered backgrounds are interesting and detailed, and the combat models are still pretty alright. If everything is putting you off then maybe FF7 isn't for you.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Takoluka posted:

FF6 also had dated graphics, but it's still worth playing.

Yeah, but old 2D graphics tend to hold up a lot better than old 3D ones. Especially considering that the SNES was basically the epitome of 2D sprite stuff on consoles. I played most of 6 when it was released on the GBA, and enjoyed it well enough, but for some reason I can't give as easy of a pass to 7 right off the bat.

I should also say that I've never really found the Final Fantasy systems engaging, even though I like the Dragon Quest games. I've played almost every FF game for at least a little bit, and 6 was definitely the most engaging in story and combat, but even that couldn't hold my attention long enough to actually finish. I probably would've loved FF7 if I'd played it at the time, because I found 8 enthralling then, so I'm not trying to call it bad or anything. Just too dated for me personally.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Playing Breath of Fire III since beating it when it came out...game is still great. Having a blast playing it on the normally useless PSTV right now. Game is a tad blurry, but it still looks great. Especially in light of the above example with FF7.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

strategery posted:

Ive tried every FF game for at least 10-12 hours. The only ones i managed to beat are 10,12, and 13 (weirdly enough). 12 is my favorite despite the main protagonist falling right into the feminine boy child trope.

Where did you give up in Final Fantasy 9? It's my favourite so I'm curious where it put people off (not that there's anything wrong with it not being to your taste!).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hazarding a guess at: it's really loving slow. Glaciers move faster than FF9's combat.

Yes, I know glaciers actually move surprisingly fast, shut up.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I felt it had a good pacing from the journey to Cleyra onwards, but again, I'm hardly the one to be a critic.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

Hazarding a guess at: it's really loving slow. Glaciers move faster than FF9's combat.

Yes, I know glaciers actually move surprisingly fast, shut up.

Well, FF9 just came out on iOS/Android (and soon to Steam) with the speed booster option!

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Takoluka posted:

Well, FF9 just came out on iOS/Android (and soon to Steam) with the speed booster option!

Yeah I'll be buying the hell out of that. FF9 is absolutely the best 3D Final Fantasy on basically every level. Best characters, story, battle system, visual design, everything. There are only two things that really suck about it, and now one's been patched out and Tetra Master is entirely optional.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The trick is to look at the super-deformed models as icons representing characters that you imagine in your head as you play.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

The Skullgirls one is also pretty good with its jazzy music.

I have never played Skullgirls and I like that theme. Last I checked it was exclusive to pre-order or something along those lines.

Corn Love on my PS3 and FF7 theme on my PS4 is what I got.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I wonder how many ps4 theme users also unreadable Geocities webpages.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The best theme is the Paul Blart theme that Sony made them stick on the Paul Blart bluray disc.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Reverse Centaur posted:

I wonder how many ps4 theme users also unreadable Geocities webpages.

eh?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
None since Geocities died.

Angelfire 4 lyfe!!! xXx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Autocorrect ate a word. Should have said "I wonder how many ps4 theme users also had unreadable Geocities webpages," in reference to the busy backgrounds people used on those.

Or am I dating myself with a Geocities reference? :(

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 11, 2016

• Locked thread