Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Chrpno posted:

Hey where's my breadboard gone? ewww never mind

Seriously it is like someone started to rout for a telecaster and just gave up.

The website is amazing though.

quote:

The amp sounds and feels superior to the usual designs that use IC opamps. These generate non linearities when driven from high impedance guitar pickups - this is called common mode distortion. The pre-amp also takes cable related sonic differences out of the equation.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

comes along bort posted:

to be fair those prices are in australian dollars so $3400 in kangaroo currency is like $500 in freedom bux

nah, I just checked, 3400 down under is like 2400 in the US.

that price is unreal

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Allen Wren posted:

nah, I just checked, 3400 down under is like 2400 in the US.

that price is unreal

But that does include a case.

And humbuckers!

Are they really selling these? Because for $2400 I can buy all the tools I need to make them.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I think we've hit a fresh seam here guys. His Google presence is pretty clean apart from a bunch of paid-placement reviews; no forums discussion or anything. Either he's really new or someone has been cleaning house.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

I think we've hit a fresh seam here guys. His Google presence is pretty clean apart from a bunch of paid-placement reviews; no forums discussion or anything. Either he's really new or someone has been cleaning house.

Or that no-one is stupid enough to buy one of these ugly spergboxes. Here in Aussieland, it's Strat country, mate.

(maybe an SG now and then, ok)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i70BF8fgUEQ

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Chrpno posted:

Or that no-one is stupid enough to buy one of these ugly spergboxes. Here in Aussieland, it's Strat country, mate.

(maybe an SG now and then, ok)

Aussie's have good taste in regards to strats. Also Maton looks like they make nice guitars but I have never seen one in Freedomland.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

I want a single peddle with the three beaters on it active all the time, actually two set up like that played as fast as humanly possible. I just want to hear that noise.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

drumming is totally my weak point but that looks incredibly fun

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Jeremy_X posted:

I want a single peddle with the three beaters on it active all the time, actually two set up like that played as fast as humanly possible. I just want to hear that noise.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SeQ4hKr1IZI

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I love listening to a skipping cd

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

That sounds like a dial-up modem on meth. Love it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

THIS
IS
UNLISTENABLE
NOISE

Jeremy_X posted:

That sounds like a dial-up modem on meth. Love it.

I can meet you half way on that.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

If you run it through Paulstretch it's actually Taylor Swift.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

comes along bort posted:

to be fair those prices are in australian dollars so $3400 in kangaroo currency is like $500 in freedom bux

lol

What's the goon consensus on Steinbergers (guitar, not bass)? I wanted to try one out hoping that it'd be lighter than my current guitar due to my current back pain preventing me from playing it too long. It's loving miserable.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol

What's the goon consensus on Steinbergers (guitar, not bass)? I wanted to try one out hoping that it'd be lighter than my current guitar due to my current back pain preventing me from playing it too long. It's loving miserable.

The part that's there is still solid, right? You should look into a Dan Electro or something else hollow, this this Guild http://guildguitars.com/g/m75-aristocrat/

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol

They look dumb as hell but I hear they're very fun guitars. Aside from "they look super nerdy" I've never heard anything bad about them, which may be due to overzealous defense. So try before you buy, and if you like it: get it. Nobody gives a poo poo. Play what you liked.

Signed: sincere owner of a BC Rich mockingbird.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol

How heavy is your current guitar? You can find some SGs that are comically light if you don't want to look less like a doofus when you play. :D

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

unlawfulsoup posted:

How heavy is your current guitar? You can find some SGs that are comically light if you don't want to look less like a doofus when you play. :D

Also, tele thinlines are super light. Mine probably weighs less than half of my Strat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol

Aside from what everyone else side, you can find some very light Ibanez S guitars too.

Anyway, when it comes to steinberger, depending on what model you want, you're probably going to be buying used and paying at least 1600-2000 dollars for a decent condition one. Like I said, it depends on what you're looking for. Personally I'd really like one with the T-trem, which is a trem that actually bends every string in tune and can be locked in different tunings.

There's the spirit models too, which are basically the import versions and can be had for a pretty good price (4-800). Not bad guitars from what I've seen.

All that said, I'd look at a Steinberger OS right now instead, unless you gotta have the trans-trem.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Luna posted:

Also, tele thinlines are super light. Mine probably weighs less than half of my Strat.

I have a tele thinline too, probably a tiny bit heavier than a steinberger (I haven't touched one since high school so I can't compare too well) but they're super light. Mines actually a knockoff from rondo music, if your hosed up back is less than permanent and you don't want to switch to something lighter permanently.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

unlawfulsoup posted:

Maybe I want to be a doofus! :colbert: I actually like the look of a Steinberger, strangely enough.

Not sure on the current weight of my guitar as I can't find it online but it's not even the heaviest one I have, just my daily driver that I use a lot. It's an oversized LP though so I think it's heavier than average.

muike posted:

There's the spirit models too, which are basically the import versions and can be had for a pretty good price (4-800). Not bad guitars from what I've seen.

I was aiming towards one of these since I don't care for a trem and $400 for a guitar wouldn't break the bank. Sucks that the only place to try one out is Sam Ash and that's a bit of a pain in the rear end to get to.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Have you considered one of these things like Steve Albini?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BteaRxx4yTk

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

s.i.r.e. posted:

Maybe I want to be a doofus! :colbert: I actually like the look of a Steinberger, strangely enough.

Not sure on the current weight of my guitar as I can't find it online but it's not even the heaviest one I have, just my daily driver that I use a lot. It's an oversized LP though so I think it's heavier than average.

I was aiming towards one of these since I don't care for a trem and $400 for a guitar wouldn't break the bank. Sucks that the only place to try one out is Sam Ash and that's a bit of a pain in the rear end to get to.

The only new stock SamAsh is gonna have in stock as far as steinberger goes is the current models which are kind of okish

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/msd/5428011738.html

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Tom Araya's brother came up with an easier fix using a Schaller straplock on a weight belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlvaYmvyDmk
@14:22

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Good idea but too low for me, I start with Classical guitar I can't manage if the guitar isn't drat near buried in my chest.

muike posted:

The only new stock SamAsh is gonna have in stock as far as steinberger goes is the current models which are kind of okish

Welp, guess I'm gonna just buy one online then. Thanks guys.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
huh, i looked it up, steinbergers actually weigh about a pound and a half more than thinline telecasters. didn't expect that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It depends on which you look at I think.
The M style bodies which are basically regular bodies, full thickness, and solid wood, maple I think, are gonna be heavy.

The L style "bodies" are often hollow and molded graphite during the Newburg days iirc and accordingly are quite light.

If you need a light guitar the best bet is probably an SG with ultralightweight tuners.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

muike posted:

It depends on which you look at I think.
The M style bodies which are basically regular bodies, full thickness, and solid wood, maple I think, are gonna be heavy.

The L style "bodies" are often hollow and molded graphite during the Newburg days iirc and accordingly are quite light.

If you need a light guitar the best bet is probably an SG with ultralightweight tuners.

hm, the steinberger site has the GT-PRO (the classic steinberger body with a trem) at 7 lbs and the one without a trem at 6.2. this is all current manufacturing though. and the thinline weights were nerds on forums weighing guitars themselves at 5.5 lbs - 6 lbs.

why are guitar weights so hard to source, seems like something that should be accounted for when buying something.

also lmfao at the steinberger bc rich ripoff

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

shiksa posted:

why are guitar weights so hard to source, seems like something that should be accounted for when buying something.

Because they're made of wood and no two pieces of wood are the same. The density (and weight) can vary by a surprising amount. Even between two pieces from the same source.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Bill Posters posted:

Because they're made of wood and no two pieces of wood are the same. The density (and weight) can vary by a surprising amount. Even between two pieces from the same source.

well i'm not saying down to the ounce, but weighing a hundred stratocasters from the same line and putting the mean on the product page with a disclaimer would be useful.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

When I say a surprising amount I mean it. Two random strats from that one product line might vary by a couple of pounds.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

muike posted:

Is this a joke or something? The one time I tried a SG while I was guitar shopping, the neck was heavier than a whole other guitar.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Bill Posters posted:

When I say a surprising amount I mean it. Two random strats from that one product line might vary by a couple of pounds.

im not a wood scientist ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

What's all this talk about thinlines being light? I've got a 2000 MIM '72 and it's almost as heavy as my gold top LP. With a baseball bat neck too!

(My lightest one is a bolt-on Samick SG and it's awesome)

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Allen Wren posted:

Is this a joke or something? The one time I tried a SG while I was guitar shopping, the neck was heavier than a whole other guitar.

I have played a lot of SGs and they tend to have thinner bodies which usually makes up for small gains on the neck. I am thinking it would also seem more weighted because SGs are notorious for having neck dive because of said thinner bodies.

That said, I am sure everyone here can anecdotally find examples of each make that are heavier and lighter than average since this is wood we are talking about. Fact is something like an LP is just more likely to be heavy because of the large body and denser wood. SGs are simply thinner and thinlines are hollowed out so they are pretty good places to start if weight is the primary factor. In general you simply have to pickup the instrument or I guess have to go by a dealer that weighs each item.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sweetwater lists weights for individual guitars. Just looking at four 2016 SG Standards I see a range from 6lb 6oz to 6lb 14oz.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

blackmachines are really light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I've never held anything as lightweight as one of those flaxwood guitars* but, I've also never held a steinberger.

e: *for the size it was

crashdome fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 15, 2016

• Locked thread