Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
A few weeks ago people predicted Tron dominance, and were already trying to figure out what parts of it would be banned. If Eye does get banned it would hurt the eldrazi, and be a nice slowing but not killing blow to Tron. It would allow Wizards to tweak 2 decks at once with one ban.

It was hysterical hyperbole about Tron, but the possibility was clearly on peoples radar.

Chairman Pow! fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

It doens't Eye is like a one-of. mcmagic is hyperbolic as ever.

You are way off-base and couldn't be more transparent if you tried to be. We get it, you don't want them to ban stuff out of the deck you play.

Not really. I'll find something else to play. I just really think eye isn't broken.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

As someone who does not play modern, or standard, or really anything outside of drafts and prerelease:

Theoretically, could they do something as small as say, ban mimic to stop the truly abusive fast starts of the deck?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

My solution to modern is to end it and bring back extended.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Everblight posted:

LCGs exist and are a niche product. The collectability (aka "shut up mom they're gonna be worth money someday!") aspect is in part what keeps Magic popular and any future competitor (even existing competitors like L5R and YuGiOh) will incorporate that aspect. It's too hard to make money as an LCG.

L5R is going to be an LCG starting next year though

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kalli posted:

As someone who does not play modern, or standard, or really anything outside of drafts and prerelease:

Theoretically, could they do something as small as say, ban mimic to stop the truly abusive fast starts of the deck?

It likely wouldn't be enough. The mimic allows some gross stuff like t1 2 mimics t2 TKS swing 8. However t2 TKS is pretty broken on its own, along with t3 Reality Smasher.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
If eye gets banned, and I think its the most likey one to get banned I would be sad as it would be a big blow against tron but I would understand it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Kilo147 posted:

What if they banned modern? Used the new frame design for Modern 2.0 and added additional formats?

Fake edit, I'm still a stupid newbie, so all this fancy pro tour poo poo means nothing to me.

I'm sure they'll move to this eventually. Po-mo format, only sets with machine readable cards

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I had a game at regionals where I played an Urza's Tower and an Expedition Map and died before I untapped on my second turn. That is much worse for the format than anything Eye does. But then again modern sucks so I guess we have expect this kinda stuff.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Yeah you could have Modern with the new frames from last year, extended with all of what was modern, plus the new poo poo, and all the other formats remain. Doesn't seem like the worst thing, given enough time for new modern to build a decent card base.

Also, last time I played FNM there was one guy with Troy, only playing because he couldn't use his Splinter Twin deck. Beyond that, everyone had a different setup. Hell, there was a guy playing Merfolk for Christsake. Am I lucky to have a casual FNM scene or is all the superdickery at pro tournaments and whatnot?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 10, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

On the topic of the Magic movie, I looked at the feature films that Hasbro has actually produced.

The best movie on the list is probably Transformers (the original Michael Bay one). This does not bode well for the Magic movie. Other "highlights": Battleship, the My Little Pony movies, and Jem and the Holograms which was pulled from theaters within 2 weeks for being so awful.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Would it hurt the deck enough if they banned one of the new cards that caused it to suddenly be a deck? Like Thought-Knot Seer?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Literally The Worst posted:

L5R is going to be an LCG starting next year though

Also the only two companies to do LCGs or similar are Fantasy Flight, who has the copyright on the term and is doing the L5R one next year and is aready releasing Netrunner, GoT, and Star Wars, and AEG, who dicked up the Deadlands release and sold L5R to FFG

There's also completely different marketing and business models involved and comparing the two is fuckin stupid

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 10, 2016

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
As someone who watches but doesn't play Modern, I think Eye and one of Simian Spirit Guide or Temple eat bans when SOI drops. I think Spirit Guide might be more likely just because it also keeps Goryo's shenanigan decks slightly more in check as well.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I'm looking forward to Reality Smasher starring in "Siege Rhino 2: This Time Without the Color Restrictions" in standard.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kilo147 posted:

Also, last time I played FNM there was one guy with Troy,

Did you call a judge on him for slow play during the ninth year of his match.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Playing against Jund with Through the Breach. Trying to dig for some kind of cards that do something and get the following draws off of an Izzet Charm and Faithless Looting: 1) Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, 2) Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, 3) Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, 4) Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

I did not win.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

whydirt posted:

As someone who watches but doesn't play Modern, I think Eye and one of Simian Spirit Guide or Temple eat bans when SOI drops. I think Spirit Guide might be more likely just because it also keeps Goryo's shenanigan decks slightly more in check as well.

Honestly, I am hoping for the trifecta, Eye, Temple and Spirit Guide.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm looking forward to Reality Smasher starring in "Siege Rhino 2: This Time Without the Color Restrictions" in standard.

Reflector Mage is 10x more annoying than Siege Rhino and Reality Smasher combined.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Zoness posted:

Did you call a judge on him for slow play during the ninth year of his match.

I probably should have, but it gave me a chance to read The Iliad at least.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

Reflector Mage is 10x more annoying than Siege Rhino and Reality Smasher combined.

Reflector Mage leaves behind a subpar body and makes you play blue and white. Reality Smasher was apparently supposed to be costed <> <> <> <> but that was "too restrictive" for deckbuilding.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Ultima66 posted:

The best movie on the list is probably Transformers (the original Michael Bay one). This does not bode well for the Magic movie. Other "highlights": Battleship, the My Little Pony movies, and Jem and the Holograms which was pulled from theaters within 2 weeks for being so awful.

If the Magic movie involves Shia and his psychotic parents from Transformers being "pulled into the game" a la Jumanji, I'm in. It will probably be bland Warcraft Avengers though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Reflector Mage is obscenely good. 3 mana for a 2/3 that in the late game can almost be a double timewalk is silly.

But don't get me wrong Reality Smasher is better (at least in modern).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Reflector Mage is obscenely good. 3 mana for a 2/3 that in the late game can almost be a double timewalk is silly.

It also comes down at instant speed a lot of the time. The card is oppressive.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I would just like to clarify that Reflector Mage is a really good card but there are deckbuilding considerations attached to it beyond "can I produce 1 colorless mana by turn 5?"

E:

Madmarker posted:

But don't get me wrong Reality Smasher is better (at least in modern).

I think it will be better in Standard too after rotation due to the existence of painlands and the fact that Evolving Wilds will be what's available for mana fixing. It's a fantastic curve-topper for aggro/midrange and could even be a control finisher thanks to the forced 2-for-1 involved in killing it.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 10, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

ThePeavstenator posted:

Bugsy posted:

From Caleb D's stream. You got your eldrazi in my rhinos! No, you got your rhinos in my eldrazi!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I keep seeing Cranial Archives in standard sideboards, what do they get brought in for? Hate against Rally decks?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

It also comes down at instant speed a lot of the time. The card is oppressive.
How does it come down at instant speed?

vvv Oh right. Thanks!

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 11, 2016

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Entropic posted:

I keep seeing Cranial Archives in standard sideboards, what do they get brought in for? Hate against Rally decks?

Rally?

Yawgmoth posted:

How does it come down at instant speed?

Collected Company?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Forgot the MAGIC STORY SUMMARY, so I'll just re-paste from GAF:

quote:

* Kiora is still around and is perfectly willing to help fight. Nothing suggests that she's about to leave.
* Good news, bad news. Good news, the Eldrazi titans being defeated makes way more sense now. Bad news, it looks like they may really be dead.
* As it turns out, while the hedrons help seal the titans, they also have the role of holding back Zendikar itself. The plane desperately wants to drag the whole bodies of the titans in and devour them, but the hedrons stop it once it absorbs enough energy and it's forced to release the energy as the Roil. Ugin was intentionally preventing the titans from being killed by the prison.
* Jace's plan with Nissa is to use Zendikar's leylines to directly seal the titans. This will only last a minute, so it won't imprison them, but it gives them the opportunity to kill them.
* Since the leylines are being used directly, Zendikar itself will join in on killing the titans, draining more energy from them than it could before.
* Gideon, Chandra, Tazri, and random soldiers will act as bait to keep the titans in place, while Jace coordinates everyone and Nissa will align the leylines. Kiora will fend off spawn coming from the outside, and drain the battle site of water.
* Jace mentions that as this plan goes into motion, the titans will become bigger due to more of their true forms being drawn into the plane.
* Jace has a bunch of troops under his command, and he isn't sure what to do, so he says, "For Zendikar," and that seems to work.

Chandra only sort of seems like she's going to kill UlaKozi with fire. The story from today is mostly going on about how the "Roil" on Zendikar is the plane's attempt to consume and break down the Eldrazi titans but it can't due to the fact that the Hedrons suppress their ability to do so.

The current plan is apparently for Jace to organize the troops, Nissa to trace a mana-leyline that will momentarily trap them and pull them into Zendikar (because reasons) and then they're going to beat them up and hope the Plane eats them.

//

Reflector Mage chat: it is a mildly annoying card made legit annoying by virtue of the fact that its played primarily in a Magical Christmasland combo deck that exists because some idiot at WOTC was too drunk/high to figure out that typed duals that get better as you play the game were loving stupid with fetchlands.

On separate occasions we have heard that 4 color decks were not tested by FFL and neither was Reflector Mage in constructed.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 10, 2016

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I picked up a playset of both Eye and Temple for like $2 per card right around the start of online rumblings that Modern Eldrazi could be a thing, and was hoping to put together my first ever Modern deck (involving Processors and Ashiok). Nothing too overpowered, just something to run out for fun that could take some games and not fold horribly to overwrought format staple decks. From the sounds of things if I do put together such a deck it's not going to be hanging around for very long due to people abusing two cards. As a responsible Eldrazi Temple/Eye of Ugin owner, I understand why there are calls to ban out both cards but at the same time am very disappointed that my first foray into the format looks like it's going to get shut down before even starting.

Is this what it feels like to be a TFR regular?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Entropic posted:

Yeah

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Forgot the MAGIC STORY SUMMARY, so I'll just re-paste from GAF:

So really all Chandra is doing is cooking the two so Zendikar can have a nice Draziroast?

Nice.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also, another awkward mind-meld between Nissa and Jace.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's horrible. You can't be holding up 2 mana like that in most standard decks. You're better off playing Burn Away... not that that isn't horrible too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It seems like if you're going to be holding up two mana anyway, hallowed moonlight would be better.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Pro Tour Gauntlet is pretty fun, but its pretty funny seeing just how many punts everyone (self included) are making.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ultima66 posted:

and Jem and the Holograms which was pulled from theaters within 2 weeks for being so awful.

I remember there being prerelease drama about casting choices, but this is the first I heard of the film itself failing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Wizards is pretty likely to ban both Eye and Temple for the same reason they banned Cruise and Dig: they don't want to be back there in 3 months doing the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kalli posted:

Nope. Casting 8 mana worth of spells for 4 mana is still degenerate. Eye of Ugin can never be balanced in the deck with how strong the 4 and 5 drops are.

• Locked thread