Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The first part of The Hobbit is very, very good in its extended cut. The whole trilogy is worth it for the Appendices, though. It's film school in a box. I'm actually watching all of them from LOTR as well. Surprisingly honest, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Are 4K upscaling blu-ray players worth it? Is there much of an improvement over say a PS3 or should I just save the money for the eventual 4K media player price drop in a few years?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Speaking of LOTR, does the Blu Ray extended editions have any features the DVD extended editions do not?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Boinks posted:

Are 4K upscaling blu-ray players worth it? Is there much of an improvement over say a PS3 or should I just save the money for the eventual 4K media player price drop in a few years?

The first 4K UHD Blu-Ray player, the Samsung UBD-K8500, is already available and it's $399.99. So this isn't like the original HD-DVD / Blu-Ray launch where the players were $1000 and up (or 599 US Dollars for the PS3).

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Speaking of LOTR, does the Blu Ray extended editions have any features the DVD extended editions do not?

The version I have has literally the same bonus discs, in DVD format, as the DVD editions. Only the movie discs are upgraded.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The version I have has literally the same bonus discs, in DVD format, as the DVD editions. Only the movie discs are upgraded.

Well, glad I can save my money then!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well, glad I can save my money then!

The extended cuts look and sound great, though. Fellowship is a little rough despite it being a new 2K from the negative. Mainly because 70% is early digital intermediate internegative. It's sort of like how the pre-4K remaster of O Brother Where Art Thou had black crush from day one, but it's not in the remaster because of better scanners. I read that even the opening New Line logo had to be digitally restored by Weta because they sent a crappy dupe for them to use.

The DVDs are still amazing in terms of layout. Since all the source footage outside of clips exists only in SD, there's not really any reason to redo in HD.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I already own the extended editions on DVD, I was only wondering if I should re-buy then as Blu Rays.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Strictly for the film presentations, then. Although, you also get Costa Boates' feature length documentaries as extras that were only on the limited edition dual version DVDs (which had terrible compression).

Skip the theatrical cuts since they have medium to high levels of DVNR like all of New Line's early Blu releases.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've seen these words used fairly frequently, but what is an interpositive and an internegative?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I've seen these words used fairly frequently, but what is an interpositive and an internegative?

Basically, it's like a print except finer in detail and usually step printed (each frame exposed one at a time for better exposure).

Here's a rundown on film sources in order of optimal use. I've also included examples on Blu-Ray.

1. Original camera negative - The film that actually went through the camera during shooting. This is usually the best place to start for a remaster or restoration.
Examples: The Royal Tenenbaums, Aliens, The Seventh Seal, Lawrence of Arabia

2. Interpositive (color) or fine-grain positive (B&W) - A high resolution copy made from the camera negative. Often preferred for color films even when the camera negative is in good shape due to color timing being built-in. Also, a good option if the negative is fragile.
Examples: Cabaret, Seven Samurai,

3a. B&W color separations (color only) - For color films with incomplete, missing, or destroyed camera negatives, this is often the next best place to go if existing interpositives don't exist in good or complete condition. Basically, B&W copies of each color record.
Examples: The Searchers, sections of Easy Rider and My Fair Lady

3b. Internegative (color) or duplicate negative (B&W) - A negative made from an interpositive or fine-grain positive. There's also color reversal internegative, which is a reversal copy of the camera negative, which skips the interpositive step and reduces the generations by one. However, this stock was faulty in the 1970s, but later improved.
Examples: Stagecoach

4. Print - For most films made before 1980, prints were made directly from the camera negative unless it was dye-transfer Technicolor. After the 1980s, most prints were made from an internegative or duplicate negative. Usually, the last resort if none of the above exist, but can still provide good quality, especially for B&W films.
Examples: Rashomon, Safety Last!

There's also combinations of all of the above. The 4K restoration of My Fair Lady utilized mostly the 65mm camera negative, but also had to use 65mm color separations to replace missing or damaged negative. The 4K restorations of North by Northwest and Spartacus used faded camera negatives and replaced the missing color information from the B&W color separation made before the fading. The 4K Play Time used mostly the camera negative, but filled in areas with an original interpositive. Of course, special effects, dissolves, and title sequences are often duplicates built-in on the camera negative (like a huge amount of The Lady from Shanghai), unless they were assembled as an A/B negative (alternating shots and dissolves created during printing) as in the case with E.T.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

There's some really great savings to be had over at amazon.co.uk with MoC releases - I know some are region-free while most are region-B locked.

Is there a list or easy way to determine which are region-free and which aren't? I know amazon's listings aren't to be trusted.

Also, any that one would recommend as essential purchases? Whether for the film itself, packaging, supplements, etc

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 10, 2016

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

friendo55 posted:

There's some really great savings to be had over at amazon.co.uk with MoC releases - I know some are region-free while most are region-B locked.

Is there a list or easy way to determine which are region-free and which aren't? I know amazon's listings aren't to be trusted.

Also, any that one would recommend as essential purchases? Whether for the film itself, packaging, supplements, etc

Blu-ray.com and DVDBeaver reviews of MoC discs will almost definitely mention whether they are region free or region locked.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

friendo55 posted:

Unfortunately, MoC had to switch from generally making everything region free to having to lock the majority of their Blu releases.

Here's the titles that currently have no US Blu-Ray (DVD editions exist unless noted):
City Girl - Fox DVD only in OOP Murnau/Borzage box set (Region Free)
Cleopatra (1934/DeMille)
Computer Chess
Day of the Outlaw
Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
Fantastic Planet - Criterion is probably releasing this soon, though.
Floating Weeds
Fixed Bayonets!
Forty Guns
Hawks and Sparrows/Pigsty (Pasolini)
Il Bidone
City of Women (Fellini)
La signore senza camelie
Le Amiche
Hands over the City - Criterion has US DVD
Le pont du nord
Les Miserables (1935/Bernard) - Criterion has US DVD
Lifeboat
Oedipus Rex (Pasolini)
Onibaba
Paper Moon
Pickup on South Street
Pigs and Battleships/Stolen Desire
Profound Desires of the Gods
Punishment Park (Region Free)
Revenge - Will be on eventual Criterion World Cinema Vol. 2
Rocco and His Brothers - Milestone edition coming soon
RoGoPaG
Roma (Fellini)
Ruggles of Red Gap
Rumble Fish
The Gospel According to Matthew
The Gang's All Here
The Insect Woman/Nishi Ginsa Station
The Lost Weekend
The Murderer Lives at 21
The Naked Island
The Naked Prey
The Passion of Joan of Arc - Does not include the "Voices of Light" score, though.
The Tarnished Angels
Soul Power (Region Free)
Van Gogh
White Dog
Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?
Wooden Crosses - US DVD from Criterion
Youth of the Beast

Better encodes/extras than US editions:
Man with a Movie Camera - Flicker Alley edition is overcompressed, MoC will split content across two discs instead of one
The Quiet Man - Olive Films is overcompressed
Shane - Includes "theatrical" 1.66:1 version as well as original 1.37:1 "as shot" version. US edition only has the 1.37:1 version
Fear and Desire - Includes Kubrick's short films Day of the Fight and Flying Padre, while Kino edition only has The Seafarers
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Nosferatu
Faust (Murnau)
Metropolis - Includes David Kalat commentary
Diary of a Lost Girl
Spies
Woman in the Moon
Die Niebelungen
Tabu

Draw:
Sunrise - virtually identical, except MoC has a booklet and a far better cover (Region Free)
Island of Lost Souls - Uses Criterion transfer
The Birth of a Nation - Identical to Kino. Superior edition from BFI (Region B) and coming soon to Region A from Flicker Alley
Intolerance - Identical to Cohen US release
The Thief of Bagdad (Fairbanks) - Identical to Cohen US release
Wings - Identical to Paramount US release
Touch of Evil - US edition has better 4K remaster (this uses older transfers), but it has exclusive "open matte" versions.

Also, there's a lot of Region B (and Free) BFI releases worth getting...

Kenneth Anger's Magick Lantern Cycle - Region free and only in-print edition in the world. Uses same restorations as Fantoma DVDs.
Chaplin's Mutual Comedies - Better encodes and music sync, plus extra commentaries and music scores on all films. Vastly superior to Region A Flicker Alley
Battleship Potemkin - Better encode than Kino, plus extras
The Phantom of the Opera - Better transfer than Kino or Image editions, plus extras. Only edition with true HD presentation of original 1925 version (SD upscales on US editions).
The Birth of a Nation - Better transfer, mostly from original 1921 print with excerpts from surviving camera negative fragments. Hours of more extras, plus a better score.
List of Region free and region locked BFI releases here:
http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9483

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 11, 2016

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
God, I want to be able to dig through that MoC library so bad. Anybody want to buy me an Oppo?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Thank you for that fantastic post.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kull the Conqueror posted:

God, I want to be able to dig through that MoC library so bad. Anybody want to buy me an Oppo?

I think getting a MR player in the US is easy enough these days, yeah? Or just import a Euro player. They pretty much all use those figure-of-8 inputs and should be fine on 110v.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
James Bond Collection (23 films, Dr. No through Skyfall) - $79.96

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

loving Amazon sent me the lovely 2008 blu ray of Gangs of New York instead of the remasted '10 verson :argh:

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

loving Amazon sent me the lovely 2008 blu ray of Gangs of New York instead of the remasted '10 verson :argh:

You want this (though weirdly it says "exclusively for Prime members," how the gently caress does that work?)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Just to be clear, this is the remastered 2010 version?

Blu-ray.com has a review of this one stating it's the remastered 2010 verson

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gangs-of-New-York-Blu-ray/9111/#Review

Are they the same with different covers? I'm so confused. For the record, I was sent the one you linked.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Are they the same with different covers? I'm so confused. For the record, I was sent the one you linked.

They ain't gonna use the old transfer with a UV code. Come on bro.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

They're both the remastered one. Studios frequently re-release discs with new covers or promotions, and this is no different.

Looking at Blu-ray.com, there have been 4 "releases," but only two actual unique discs. The first release in 2008 sucked, and the re-releases in 2010, 2011, and 2014 all used the same "remastered" disc.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Unfortunately, MoC had to switch from generally making everything region free to having to lock the majority of their Blu releases.

Here's the titles that currently have no US Blu-Ray (DVD editions exist unless noted):

Thanks a ton for all that info! Very much appreciated. I'll make sure to bookmark this page.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

Basically, it's like a print except finer in detail and usually step printed (each frame exposed one at a time for better exposure).

Here's a rundown on film sources in order of optimal use. I've also included examples on Blu-Ray.

1. Original camera negative - The film that actually went through the camera during shooting. This is usually the best place to start for a remaster or restoration.
Examples: The Royal Tenenbaums, Aliens, The Seventh Seal, Lawrence of Arabia

2. Interpositive (color) or fine-grain positive (B&W) - A high resolution copy made from the camera negative. Often preferred for color films even when the camera negative is in good shape due to color timing being built-in. Also, a good option if the negative is fragile.
Examples: Cabaret, Seven Samurai,

3a. B&W color separations (color only) - For color films with incomplete, missing, or destroyed camera negatives, this is often the next best place to go if existing interpositives don't exist in good or complete condition. Basically, B&W copies of each color record.
Examples: The Searchers, sections of Easy Rider and My Fair Lady

3b. Internegative (color) or duplicate negative (B&W) - A negative made from an interpositive or fine-grain positive. There's also color reversal internegative, which is a reversal copy of the camera negative, which skips the interpositive step and reduces the generations by one. However, this stock was faulty in the 1970s, but later improved.
Examples: Stagecoach

4. Print - For most films made before 1980, prints were made directly from the camera negative unless it was dye-transfer Technicolor. After the 1980s, most prints were made from an internegative or duplicate negative. Usually, the last resort if none of the above exist, but can still provide good quality, especially for B&W films.
Examples: Rashomon, Safety Last!

There's also combinations of all of the above. The 4K restoration of My Fair Lady utilized mostly the 65mm camera negative, but also had to use 65mm color separations to replace missing or damaged negative. The 4K restorations of North by Northwest and Spartacus used faded camera negatives and replaced the missing color information from the B&W color separation made before the fading. The 4K Play Time used mostly the camera negative, but filled in areas with an original interpositive. Of course, special effects, dissolves, and title sequences are often duplicates built-in on the camera negative (like a huge amount of The Lady from Shanghai), unless they were assembled as an A/B negative (alternating shots and dissolves created during printing) as in the case with E.T.

I just wanted to thank you for explaining all of this, I find it really interesting. :cheers:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's also worth pointing out a lot of region free major studio releases exist either with improved editions or far lower pricing.

Here's some other region free highlights from Amazon UK...

The Hobbit: Extended Edition (3-D) - $65 USD (US edition is $90)
The Complete Indiana Jones - $18.70 USD
The Complete Harry Potter - $36.11 USD (has UK "Philosopher's Stone" version)
Back to the Future Trilogy: $14.45 USD
Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection: $63.69 USD (US edition is $164.69) - Does not include North by Northwest, but has all 14 of his Universal-owned films
Universal Monsters Collection - $28.90 USD (US edition is $75.63) - Exact same discs, but cheaper packaging.
The Three Musketeers/The Four Musketeers (1974, Richard Lester) - Unavailable in US, only $21.66 USD
Bambi - $24.52 USD, OOP in US
Peter Pan (Disney) - $24.48 USD, OOP in US
Ben-Hur - $13.67 USD - Includes supplement disc with 1925 silent version only available in OOP US gift set.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Egbert Souse posted:

The Complete Harry Potter - $36.11 USD (has UK "Philosopher's Stone" version)

Or, as it's called around here, "the correctly named version". :britain:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think getting a MR player in the US is easy enough these days, yeah? Or just import a Euro player. They pretty much all use those figure-of-8 inputs and should be fine on 110v.

Is it that easy? There are plenty of region B locked discs I want on that list but Pick-Up on South Street would be enough of a reason to import a euro BR player

I wanted to say thanks to Egbert also, your posts are terrific

e; Besides being refurbished, why is this so cheap? I thought region free players were a few hundred?

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 12, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hopefully no one bought the Japanese Blu of The Magnificent Ambersons...
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_70/the_magnificent_ambersons_blu-ray.htm

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dr.Caligari posted:

Is it that easy? There are plenty of region B locked discs I want on that list but Pick-Up on South Street would be enough of a reason to import a euro BR player

I wanted to say thanks to Egbert also, your posts are terrific

e; Besides being refurbished, why is this so cheap? I thought region free players were a few hundred?

I just looked at my Panasonic player and annoyingly the transformer is only rated for 220-240v which is surprising. Guess I'm never taking it overseas then! But if a player is rated fine for 110-240 (like, it should be common enough as it's cheaper to build something that'll work worldwide) then I can't see why there'd be an issue. The only possible problem is if your TV doesn't accept a 50hz signal, you might get some issues with some discs crashing. You'll have that regardless though, and it's often only extras or menus that pull that poo poo.

As for that Sony player, my aforementioned Panny is a $200 one from 5 years ago with hacked firmware that opens up multiregion, so can't see why that one wouldn't be legit. It's worth double checking players listed as MR as some can do DVD regions but not BD.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

It's also worth pointing out a lot of region free major studio releases exist either with improved editions or far lower pricing.

Here's some other region free highlights from Amazon UK...

Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection: $63.69 USD (US edition is $164.69) - Does not include North by Northwest, but has all 14 of his Universal-owned films
Universal Monsters Collection - $28.90 USD (US edition is $75.63) - Exact same discs, but cheaper packaging.

Just wanted to echo that I've purchased both of these UK editions (the Hitchcock one I actually picked up the pretty limited edition set) and they're fantastic.

Also, the region-free Twilight Zone seasons which are identical to the US versions from what I've been told - and much cheaper.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Snowpiercer - $6.99

Exceptional film.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else dived into 4K blu-ray yet?

After getting a solid deal on a 65" Sony after Thanksgiving last year (xbr65x850c for the curious), I was debating if I'd buy into 4k blu-ray or just rely on upconverted regular blu-rays. I ended up using the reward certificates I got from my TV purchase to knock the price on the Samsung player down quite a bit, and figured "why not". At least I'd finally have a standalone player, at the very worst (been using my ps3/4 exclusively, and the PS4's lack of a good remote was really bugging me), plus it was cheaper than what I paid for that Toshiba HD-DVD player back in the day. Best Buy got my my player last week, and I picked up Kingsman on Sunday. Hooked it up, pressed play on the nice but dinky remote, and saw... okay results. It was a bit sharper and colorful, but nothing mindblowing.

It wasn't until the next day when I was looking over the TV documentation after reading some AV forums that I found out I had to enable the HDMI port for Enhanced content and HDR. So I did that, tried it again, and HOLY HELL this time it was a world of difference. Not like going from being near-blind to having glasses, like DVD to Blu-ray was, but definitely like getting a 10 year old pair of glasses updated. The sharpness and resolution is great, but that HDR really makes a difference, especially in darker or night scenes against blacks. I just went back to Best Buy and grabbed The Martian, but I won't be able to open it up til this weekend. The apps are okay, I'm not paying extra for Netflix in 4k so I can't test it out but the Amazon stuff in 4k looked decent enough. I think my TV's built in Amazon app looks a bit better, though. The player boots blu-rays almost instantly, and 4K blu-rays take between 5-10 seconds to go from tray close to logos. Out of the gate, this is a way better debut than regular Blu-ray had.

In case anyone is wondering, Best Buy seems to have the exclusives on the first wave of Fox titles until 3/1, when Amazon and everyone else on the planet will start shipping. If you haven't gotten a player, put in a preorder anywhere you can now because it seems to be sold out everywhere. Either there's a big hardware shortage or they didn't anticipate a decent number of people wanted to invest in yet another physical media format. Supposedly the $399 price is a temporary early adopter promotion, as well, and it's supposed to go up to $499 by the summer. I've only seen that mentioned on various forums, so I have no idea if it's true or not, but it's been repeated enough by pro accounts that it could be.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
X-Men Wolverine Collection + X-Men: Days of Future Past Rogue Cut - $32.99
7 movies total (X-Men 1-3, First Class, Days of Future Past + Origins: Wolverine and The Wolverine)

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The Walk (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) - $16.99
The Walk (Blu-ray) - $12.99

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

If you're one of three people who has a 3D TV you should buy this. The 3D is incredible (or at least was on the big screen).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd probably be covering my eyes, based on the fact I rode that Simpsons rollercoaster simulator at Universal Studios and despite it BEING A CARTOON my brain still totally bought into it. Stupid brain.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally picked up the Alien Anthology set since it seems to be going out of print in favor of a regular case version without the extras discs. Just from skimming over it, this might be one of the best productions ever on Blu-Ray. They even included complete laserdisc supplements as an extra. I haven't viewed any of Alien3 or Resurrection yet (nor will I likely ever for the latter), but Alien and Aliens look amazing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
This thread failed me by not telling me Barton Fink was available on region-free UK blu-ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Red posted:

This thread failed me by not telling me Barton Fink was available on region-free UK blu-ray.

If you haven't already bought it, the Coen Brothers collection is $20 from Amazon UK and comes with region-free Fink, Lebowski, A Serious Man, Burn After Reading, Hudsucker Proxy and Intolerable Cruelty. The packaging kind of sucks but it's a great deal.

• Locked thread