Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Greenland thing is because it's part of Scandinavia now, I think. As for this, your people have obviously been told about the great Spanish colonies on another continent, but they're not exactly sure what's in between.
Interesting. I like it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bort Bortles posted:

Interesting. I like it :v:
Though they may be slightly unsure what Spain is. :v:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I think the issue is that exploration spreads faster when a whole "region" is discovered and actors very rarely discover whole ocean "regions". Sea tiles should probably spread by different rules - possibly a certain radius out from discovered regions or something? If ocean "regions" are even a thing. I am not sure how that would work in the raws.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bort Bortles posted:

Alright so Spread of Discoveries is getting wackier:

I can see South America now, but no connecting ocean?!?

God, Portugal just cannot catch a break, this patch...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

skipThings posted:

Could rebels please not enforce their demands if they have no forces left ? That would be sweet, pretenders just reversed my Inca reforms, course I couldn't take back the last fort they took, fast enough.
Now I got to start this run over again the fourth time at this point.
Sounds like there were pretender forces left, in the fort garrison.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Though they may be slightly unsure what Spain is. :v:
My people had no idea until about 1560 :holy:

PleasingFungus posted:

God, Portugal just cannot catch a break, this patch...
They are about to get the "No Pirates In My Caribbean" or whatever the achievement is :unsmith:

They are in a PU under Spain :smith:

zedprime posted:

Sounds like there were pretender forces left, in the fort garrison.
:golfclap:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is there a bug with the "attitude towards enemies" modifier? I can't get my ally to declare war on their rival because they like them too much to the tune of a -60 modifier.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

Does anyone have advice for this Papal States game? I keep getting boxed in by Spain/France/Austria, I finally have a run where Spain forming wasn't an issue. Not an ironman game or anything.

I can only expand in Genoa, Aragonese Italy, or Austria itself. I'm allied to France, Austria, and Hungary. Austria is allied to Aragon, and France is allied to Genoa. So it seems I need to use either France or Austria to help take out the other. They're both willing to join whichever war I decide to start.

So which should I choose? France has 87 regiments, Austria 71, and I can muster up 58. Genoa and Aragon are basically nonentities in the war. I'm pretty sure I can defeat whichever I choose to attack. (I have Hungary to help out too if I DOW France). Do I use Austria to take provinces off Genoa, and try to beat France badly enough I can get them to release some development? France has roughly 800 development right now, me and Austria are at 450~.

Attacking Austria means I can start working towards taking their provinces I need to form the Kingdom of God. But if I do THAT, I'm worried the continent will lose Austria as a potential check on French expansion. Or is this not something I should worry about? I just get nervous seeing such a large France. Our trust is relatively high, 65 or so, so I'm not too afraid they'll suddenly start desiring Avignon, but still.

Any tips? Or alternative DOWs I'm not seeing? Neither Genoa or Aragon have other allies I could DOW on to pull them into a war. I forged a claim on Ragusa, but they're allied to Austria and still guaranteed by Ottos, so it's a similar situation. Switzerland I don't feel like bothering with. I get impatient sitting around for so long with full manpower, coffers, and plenty of spare admin pts to core with.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
You need to treat that stage 3 Franceblob or it's going to be terminal.

I kind of wonder if the AI bonus reductions to AE might need to be tweaked. Seeing the AI play aggressively and blob like mad is good, but France, Muscovy, etc just grow without any real check on them.

It's really tough to break up blobs right now, due partly to Revanchism and also due to the many ways to reduce revolt risk. Looking at the game date, the Reformation is probably going full swing. If they have a significant number of off-religion provinces you may be able to trigger the French Wars of Religion disaster.

Declare on Genoa, bring in all your allies. Get Great Britain if you can, anyone at all to help. Crush France and just keep on fighting them until they are out of manpower and running on mercenaries. Run them up to 20 War Exhaustion, then white peace. Why? War Exhaustion is reduced by the warscore cost of your peace, so white peacing with 20 WE will stick them with all of it. Maybe take reparations but you don't want to demand release of territory. Then take whatever you want from Genoa.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

you mentioning the Reformation brings up another question: I went with a couple of the Papal decisions that reduce reform desire + prevent other nations from selling indulgences, etc. The reformation didn't start until maybe 30 years ago or so. But it occurs to me now: is that what I want to do? Less Catholic nations means I have a higher chance of holding the Papacy, correct? Is there any benefit to delaying the Reformation? I just did it for shits & giggles.

and thank you for the advice: gonna go ahead and try to smash up France. so you think it's more crippling to leave them with their territory but hampered by lots of war exhaustion?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

shallowj posted:

you mentioning the Reformation brings up another question: I went with a couple of the Papal decisions that reduce reform desire + prevent other nations from selling indulgences, etc. The reformation didn't start until maybe 30 years ago or so. But it occurs to me now: is that what I want to do? Less Catholic nations means I have a higher chance of holding the Papacy, correct? Is there any benefit to delaying the Reformation? I just did it for shits & giggles.

and thank you for the advice: gonna go ahead and try to smash up France. so you think it's more crippling to leave them with their territory but hampered by lots of war exhaustion?

It's probably not really worth it to delay or speed up the Reformation either way. It's gonna happen. You get a little bit of tax income and a Devotion hit, so you can take the decision if you want the small amount of cash. Won't matter if the Reformation starts a few decades earlier/later.

Yeah, exactly, you want to try and saddle them with debt, no manpower, and lots of War Exhaustion so they'll hopefully start imploding. If a significant chunk of their provinces are non-Catholic you may trigger their disaster and that'll definitely wreck them.

If you take provinces, they'll get Revanchism. Unless a bunch of other nations dogpile into France after you beat them, they'll just bounce back in a decade only having lost a handful of provinces.

Run them up to 20 WE and out of manpower, then white peace or take reparations. This works really well with Westernizing nations, too. Ottomans, Ming, or Muscovy in the process of Westernizing? Jump on them and slap them with 20 WE, on top of the +5 RR from Westernization they will explode.

Edit: you're also probably very rich as the Papal States, so after you white peace them use some of your cash to support rebels.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Five days before I am about to declare a fast and easy war I get a ten year regency, lovely.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Lord Tywin posted:

Five days before I am about to declare a fast and easy war I get a ten year regency, lovely.

yeah, that happened twice in my Inca run and hosed me over completely

It also destroyed an "African Power" run before Art of War was released, getting a little tired of this game just because of this specific "feature"

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

French morale is no joke. 5.1 morale with a technology base of 3. Surprised we beat them as easily as we did, to be honest. Not sure if I see them imploding, though. They reduced war exhaustion from 20 down to 12 pretty promptly, and the provinces I can see have all had their rebellions crushed. Their manpower is bouncing back pretty fast too.

Surprised to see they're still pals with me and willing to re-ally. Should I maybe do this? Austria actually broke our alliance after the war, which I was surprised to see. I have 70 trust with them but they started desiring Verona. I'm considering joining back up with France to smash Austria in a decade or so.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skipThings posted:

yeah, that happened twice in my Inca run and hosed me over completely

It also destroyed an "African Power" run before Art of War was released, getting a little tired of this game just because of this specific "feature"
That and the AI blobs allying each other and staying bro's for life. I think it is super ridiculous that the Ottomans are allied to Muscovy and they are joining each other's offensive wars across the continents. How am I supposed to deal with BOTH without being super gamey?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

shallowj posted:

French morale is no joke. 5.1 morale with a technology base of 3. Surprised we beat them as easily as we did, to be honest. Not sure if I see them imploding, though. They reduced war exhaustion from 20 down to 12 pretty promptly, and the provinces I can see have all had their rebellions crushed. Their manpower is bouncing back pretty fast too.

Surprised to see they're still pals with me and willing to re-ally. Should I maybe do this? Austria actually broke our alliance after the war, which I was surprised to see. I have 70 trust with them but they started desiring Verona. I'm considering joining back up with France to smash Austria in a decade or so.

Well, I wouldn't expect them to straight explode unless you also triggered the Wars of Religion disaster or they had some other compounding factor. For better or worse, the AI blobs really aggressively right now and it's really hard to break up a blob.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Well, my Osmanli dynasty died out, but going Orthodox let me get a suitable replacement~

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A Frenchman does seem appropriate.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
"Does not have regencies" is the undisputed #1 most importantest attribute in picking a government form.

That's probably a good indication it needs changed.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pellisworth posted:

"Does not have regencies" is the undisputed #1 most importantest attribute in picking a government form.

Yeah, it can sabotage things pretty hard. I think there should be an option to put someone else on the throne and tank legitimacy, maybe spawn some rebels.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Along the same lines, defeating pretender rebels should give you legitimacy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pellisworth posted:

:agreed:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, it can sabotage things pretty hard. I think there should be an option to put someone else on the throne and tank legitimacy, maybe spawn some rebels.

I think an easy interim fix (maybe not the best solution) would be to remove "cannot declare wars" from regencies, but add a regency-related disaster. Based on realm stability (legitimacy, unrest, stability, etc) a regency may start building a disaster that has pretender revolts or the regent attempting to assume power. You could even just add it as a factor for the Civil War disaster, being in a regency makes Civil War tick.

Edit: right now, Civil War will specifically only trigger if you are NOT in regency. Make it so regency is a risk factor for Civil War, let regencies declare wars.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

If I want on my phone I would quote myself from a few pages ago about this stuff.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I think an easy interim fix (maybe not the best solution) would be to remove "cannot declare wars" from regencies, but add a regency-related disaster. Based on realm stability (legitimacy, unrest, stability, etc) a regency may start building a disaster that has pretender revolts or the regent attempting to assume power. You could even just add it as a factor for the Civil War disaster, being in a regency makes Civil War tick.

Edit: right now, Civil War will specifically only trigger if you are NOT in regency. Make it so regency is a risk factor for Civil War, let regencies declare wars.

I'd think you'd want to tie it to Internal Conflict, if only because that disaster is actually threatening, but yeah.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
RE: Regencies

It's not even historical, plenty of regencies declared war.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I'd think you'd want to tie it to Internal Conflict, if only because that disaster is actually threatening, but yeah.

Fair enough. Having Regencies be a risk factor for a fairly bad disaster would work fine imo. Maybe you could tweak the claim throne mechanic so other nations have a chance to declare a war for PU on you if you have a low-legitimacy heir in regency and royal marriage.

I'm fine with there being a fairly significant penalty for regencies, whatever. Not being able to declare war is really frustrating and boring, plus ahistorical as mentioned.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah the regencies thing feels like one of the few leftover EU3 mechanics that they still haven't gotten around to fixing, probably (hopefully) because there's so much that needs fixed with monarchy governments that it needs a full dlc.

Fingers crossed it's part of the next one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I, uh, am earning a bunch of achievements this run. Already got Respected and one or two others....never expected to get Magellan's voyage too. The showing text is broken and I wish it was at least a little customized for the nation who completed it.

France rivaled me :suicide:

I'm halfway done westernizing; I am on track to complete it right before the turn of the century.

I have a toehold in Indonesia but Pasai just allied the Ottomans :sigh:

I think I am going to dive into India once Westernization completes.

I have so much money I am not sure what to do with it, I think I need to build more armies...(I only have one of ~25 infantry, 6 Cav, and 10 artillery)

edit: Is it bad that I want to take Quality as my first military idea, because I could get 7.5% Discipline and 10% Morale from policies? I am desperate for military bonuses...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 11, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If you're rolling in cash, take Quantity, build troops, and roll face.

Especially because you've almost certainly picked Religious, and Rel+Trade+Quant gives you access to some insane policies.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bort Bortles posted:

I, uh, am earning a bunch of achievements this run. Already got Respected and one or two others....never expected to get Magellan's voyage too. The showing text is broken and I wish it was at least a little customized for the nation who completed it.

France rivaled me :suicide:

I'm halfway done westernizing; I am on track to complete it right before the turn of the century.

I have a toehold in Indonesia but Pasai just allied the Ottomans :sigh:

I think I am going to dive into India once Westernization completes.

I have so much money I am not sure what to do with it, I think I need to build more armies...(I only have one of ~25 infantry, 6 Cav, and 10 artillery)

edit: Is it bad that I want to take Quality as my first military idea, because I could get 7.5% Discipline and 10% Morale from policies? I am desperate for military bonuses...

if you're flush with cash (from gold mines, I'd assume), replace the infantry in your armies with mercs. And, assuming that you're earning most of your cash from gold, you've probably got huge inflation. Investing in production buildings will boost your income and reduce inflation gain.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So I found a thing that bothers me about forts. What's the best province for a fort? Something flat, preferably without rivers - you don't want to have combat penalties when attacking a siege stack.
Where did people historically build forts? Usually on high ground overlooking/checking the surrounding lands.
Maybe this should be the way for the game too:
- Forts on high ground (mountain provinces etc) should have improved fort defense
- The owner of the fort gets a bonus when attacking an hostile army that's sieging the fort, this should be bound to the garrison size

To counter this there should probably a lowered fort defense across the board or more ways to get siege ability.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
mountains do give siege defense, i agree that its insanely dumb that a fort on a mountain is suicide for the defender to try to clear the siege stack from, since the idea of a fort is to control the powerful defensive position so the enemy should not be in it. probably remove or reduce terrain modifiers for the owner of a fort in all situations would be the thing to do

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Just raise attrition on forts and on high elevations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Forts in mountains do get increased fort defence.

Bort Bortles posted:

Yes, it is bad. Pick Quantity, you are running a skeleton army right now. Put more artillery in your armies too.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Johan has posted this week's dev diary which features a complete rework of espionage.

Next week: a "look at Africa".

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Quality is really only useful if you also have Innovative, due to the 20% infantry bonus you get through policy imho. But yeah you should totes swap your infantry with merchs with that amount of cash.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The espionage changes sound...okay? I've never done anything in espionage other than fabricating CBs for war, but making it so it no longer costs the full-time use of a diplomat is a good improvement. Curious to see what the 2 new spy actions are.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wonder how they'll calculate the costs, that could shaft poor nations. Definitely seems like an improvement over the current system though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alikchi posted:

Johan has posted this week's dev diary which features a complete rework of espionage.

Next week: a "look at Africa".
Oh god this looks loving awful. I hate espionage in videogames and this looks like micromanagement hell. The AI will get the ability to sabotage every aspect of my country without me being able to do a thing about it, unless there are ways to get better Spy Defense. There are zero ways to actively try to improve my legitimacy yet there will be an espionage action to to hurt Legitimacy? GREAT.

edit: Apparently hurting Legitimacy is already in Espionage ideas and I misread the DD thinking that these options would be available to everyone at all times. I'm an idiot.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 11, 2016

• Locked thread