Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Durendal posted:

Yup. You should reread Cenotaph's post, Fulsom.

Just did so again with a closer eye. Sorry for the misunderstanding but thanks for the link for the original original rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've been critical of FCM's inconsistent art, but I'm a lot more angry that a bunch of bad taste nerds have pledge $555,000 towards this garbage (new sentinels of the mutliverse bs)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bottom Liner posted:

I've been critical of FCM's inconsistent art, but I'm a lot more angry that a bunch of bad taste nerds have pledge $555,000 towards this garbage (new sentinels of the mutliverse bs)

what the

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Here's the sack of stuff you get in the Mayfair version that you don't need. I don't even keep mine in the box. It is consigned to a drawer. Well I guess you need the money but you should transition away from it ASAP.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Adam Rebottaro, the artist for SotM, has some of the worst art I have EVER seen on a retail game, and you would think after all these expansions and poo poo that he'd at least be honing his craft and getting better...

...but no. Just look at that. Marvel at it. That's the culmination of 5 years of tirelessly working on the art of your creation.

Makes me think that me and MS Paint could make some waves in the board gaming world.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Adam Rebottaro, the artist for SotM, has some of the worst art I have EVER seen on a retail game, and you would think after all these expansions and poo poo that he'd at least be honing his craft and getting better...

...but no. Just look at that. Marvel at it. That's the culmination of 5 years of tirelessly working on the art of your creation.

Makes me think that me and MS Paint could make some waves in the board gaming world.

I hope he teams up with the Munchkin artist for Exploding Zombies Against Humanity.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I at least respect SotM for its unique-within-board-gaming theme of silver age comics, but the art does it zero favors. Which I guess isn't that bad, considering the gameplay does it negative favors. Maybe the tabletop game is better, idk.

PBS Newshour posted:

18XX games are the mobas of board games

This is like, the opposite of reality. If anything they're like the endless number of Crane Operator Sim 2014 games that the euros seem to adore.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-Bone posted:

Red7 is sort of like that -- it's a basic card game where you're trying to play the high card from your hand to win, with the caveat that you can also change the rules of the game (so that the definition of "high card" is constantly fluctuating and the real game becomes building a tableau in front of you that applies to as many rules as possible).

It's quite good, although like Mottainai (also by Chudyk) it's a filler that's kind of a pain in the rear end to teach so I don't bring it out as much as I'd like.

How can you possibly have difficulty teaching Red7? It has three rules.

1) Each turn you can play a card in front of you, change the rules of the game, or do both and draw a card.

2) Ties are broken by high card, number first then colour.

3) If you're not winning at the end of your turn, you lose.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Countblanc posted:

This is like, the opposite of reality. If anything they're like the endless number of Crane Operator Sim 2014 games that the euros seem to adore.

Uhh those games actually have very different and complex mechanics from one another.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mega64 posted:

Exploding Zombies Against Humanity

Holy poo poo.

You just gave me an idea made out of money.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jedit posted:

How can you possibly have difficulty teaching Red7? It has three rules.

1) Each turn you can play a card in front of you, change the rules of the game, or do both and draw a card.

2) Ties are broken by high card, number first then colour.

3) If you're not winning at the end of your turn, you lose.

Oh, it's easy to explain, it just inspires terrible AP relative to its weight in first time players.

I like to think its because the game is pretty unique mechanically within its space, but I could just be playing with morons. It actually has more rules than that if you use the card powers/discard rule, but yeah terrible idea when teaching (although more interesting if you're playing with people who have a little experience with the game).

e: actually now that I think of it the folks that have had AP with Red7 generally have trouble in other first time games, with the difference in Red7 being that they can't just make a bad/sub optimal learning play because you literally can only play or lose so the game just slows to a crawl and I feel bad for not just taking out Linko.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 11, 2016

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm by no means a SotM supporter (never played it, sounds uninteresting, and the art is in fact a huge turn-off), but: why does this make you angry?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Not in the least bit. They're just heavy strategy games that happen to share the same basic structures of building networks and stock trading.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Merauder posted:

I'm by no means a SotM supporter (never played it, sounds uninteresting, and the art is in fact a huge turn-off), but: why does this make you angry?

Goons get mad when things they don't like get a lot of money.

I'm not even being mocking. It seems like a natural reaction.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah. Even worse? They have new versions of the old promo cards, which actual decent art. So I guess they hired a better artist just to redo the promos. The KSer has the old version next to the new version and it's quite a contrast. I think they're even having that guy redo all of the hero art for their foil versions. So they know their art sucks. Guess they're stuck with the original artist to keep it consistent.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

QnoisX posted:

Yeah. Even worse? They have new versions of the old promo cards, which actual decent art. So I guess they hired a better artist just to redo the promos. The KSer has the old version next to the new version and it's quite a contrast. I think they're even having that guy redo all of the hero art for their foil versions. So they know their art sucks. Guess they're stuck with the original artist to keep it consistent.

He's also one of the founders of the company.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Echophonic posted:

He's also one of the founders of the company.

Okay, well that makes sense I suppose. Still. Here's their example of the updated art.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Adam Rebottaro, the artist for SotM, has some of the worst art I have EVER seen on a retail game,

You have never touched Damage Report then :coal:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I'm impressed that no two countries ever built a major rail project in the same year.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Merauder posted:

Because it's incredibly depressing to see things like Sentinels or Exploding Kittens literally print money and see much better and/or more original games be much much less successful.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Mister Sinewave posted:

You have never touched Damage Report then :coal:

You're right, I have not...seen...

...oh....

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Some Numbers posted:

Because it's incredibly depressing to see things like Sentinels or Exploding Kittens literally print money and see much better and/or more original games be much much less successful.

I want (we all want, I'm sure) to see "better" games be as successful too, but it's not a zero-sum situation. People spending money on trash projects like Exploding Kittens (or SotM, though I think there's a huge disparity between using those two as examples) doesn't keep them from spending money on something else, unless maybe in the case of two such campaigns running concurrently. There's not a finite amount of money for people to buy entertainment. It's hardly depressing or worth getting angry that a product has a wider / mass appeal? It just comes across as a petty rant against something being popular, just because it's popular.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Gaming with Kids
For slightly older kids, Prime Climb has some similar "modified roll and move" ideas to what you're describing, with the goal of teaching arithmetic. (Disclaimer: I know the designers personally). The board spaces are numbered from 0 (start) to 101 (goal) and on your turn you roll two d10 and must apply each of them to one of your two pawns—with the wrinkle being that you can add, subtract, multiply, or divide the current number your pawn is on by the number on the die. You can also get bonus action cards by ending your turn on a prime-numbered space, and you can bump someone else down to 0 by landing on them. So you have to consider different combinations of the arithmetic operations with respect to the locations of your two pawns to figure out where you can land and where you want to land. I wouldn't really recommend it for adults (it's a bit light/random if you can do math), but I played it with a middle-school relative who was struggling with math and he got really into it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Adam Rebottaro, the artist for SotM, has some of the worst art I have EVER seen on a retail game,

RIP Wayne England

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PBS Newshour posted:

Uhh those games actually have very different and complex mechanics from one another.

Yeah you're right, I was thinking in terms of being an esoteric theme and audience.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Anybody interested in some Puzzle Strike matches? It's synchronous-only, but also cross-platform, so I don't know if there's a generic IRC where I might ask to get a game going. Or a Steam group for SA board gamers?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are there any digital versions of 18xx games? I wanna play one but lol at trying to find people to play with

Edit - something more recent than a DOS game I guess

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Merauder posted:

I want (we all want, I'm sure) to see "better" games be as successful too, but it's not a zero-sum situation. People spending money on trash projects like Exploding Kittens (or SotM, though I think there's a huge disparity between using those two as examples) doesn't keep them from spending money on something else, unless maybe in the case of two such campaigns running concurrently. There's not a finite amount of money for people to buy entertainment. It's hardly depressing or worth getting angry that a product has a wider / mass appeal? It just comes across as a petty rant against something being popular, just because it's popular.

I got into the hobby with flawed games (Risk, Settlers of Catan) and bad games (Munchkin) and moved on to good games, so there is hope for people who start with Exploding Kittens, Betrayal, or Dead of Winter.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Merauder posted:

Wat. Money is by definition limited.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

COOL CORN posted:

Are there any digital versions of 18xx games? I wanna play one but lol at trying to find people to play with

Edit - something more recent than a DOS game I guess

http://rails.sourceforge.net/ is a fully rules-enabled 18xx platform, but the selection of games implemented is pretty sparse and they don't update very frequently. For trying out 18xx it should work fine though since several decent beginner games are implemented.

There's also this post from a bit ago:

Oldstench posted:

Just FYI, if you want to play 18xx but can't get a group together, register at http://www.rr18xx.com/cgi-pub/cxd_user_reg.cgi with the promocode pt_18xxyahoo (it's free) and you can play 1830, 1853, 1856, and 1870 with full rules implementation, and nice looking map screen, etc. It may appear a bit obtuse, but the website is fairly self-explanatory.

One of those should work well for you

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Kamikaze Raider posted:

You're right, I have not...seen...

...oh....

That's actually not bad, but wish I could say the same about the (for example) rule book and other parts.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Thus far, I still think Sentinels of the Multiverse has worse art than any other game named as having 'the worst art'.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The art for the original BattleCON was pretty bad, to the point where it became really difficult to get to the table because goddamn did I not want to look at stuff like this:

I'm not the biggest fan of the new one, but I guess there's not that much they can do to improve the actual character design without him being unrecognizable. Still leaps and bounds better, though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Food Chain Magnate arrived! Now I just need to conspire to get it to the table.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FCM shipped. I am super stoked.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tendales posted:

RIP Wayne England

I don't see anything wrong here.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, honestly I kinda like it.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Speaking of new hotness, is anyone still playing Dilluvia Project? Hype for it seemed to die down pretty fast.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Andarel posted:

Speaking of new hotness, is anyone still playing Dilluvia Project? Hype for it seemed to die down pretty fast.

That happens with Spielworxx games in general I think, because of their limited print runs. Lorini had something to say about it before, but I don't know if anyone else in here's actually played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I don't see anything wrong here.

There is nothing wrong except that the artist, Wayne England, died.