Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Can anyone confirm whether all Deathshroud Power Scythes have Reaping Blow now? If they do and they're still AP 2, seems like they'd be good at cleaning up Power Fist/Chainfist termies before they hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DrPop posted:

Can anyone confirm whether all Deathshroud Power Scythes have Reaping Blow now? If they do and they're still AP 2, seems like they'd be good at cleaning up Power Fist/Chainfist termies before they hit.

Yes. -1I, and +1A if there are at least 2 enemy models in B2B.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

Yes. -1I, and +1A if there are at least 2 enemy models in B2B.

Niiiice.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I'm planning on going to the 30k events at NOVA in September. For the escalation event, I need 1850 and 2150 point lists. I can get there by then, but it'll take disciplined purchasing and planning, so I could really use your help. Here's what I'm thinking for 1850:

HQ:
Maloghurst the Twisted - 140
Chaplain, jump pack, artificer armor, refractor field - 125
Expeditionary Navigator - 50

Troop:
20x Tactical Marines, sergeant has power fist and artificer armor - 275 (No vexilla because Maloghurst will be dicking around with these guys.)
15x Reavers, jump packs, 6x power weapons (five swords and the Chieftain gets an axe), 3x melta guns, artificer armor for the Chieftain - 450
5x Reavers, 4x combi-plasma/banestrike shells, Chieftain has power weapon, artificer armor, and a plasma gun

Elite:
Apothecary, augury scanner, artificer armor - 60
Contemptor-Mortis, dual kheres assault cannons - 180

Heavy Support:
Deimos-pattern Vindicator Laser Destroyer, armored ceramite - 150
Fire Raptor, reaper autocannons - 210

The idea is that the Vindicator, Contemptor, and infantry blob (Tactical Squad, Maloghurst, Apothecary, Navigator) start on the table and the Reavers outflank. Sons of Horus have some control over reserves rolls and with the excellent changes to their Legion rules my special weapons get Seeker-grade accuracy, so both Reaver squads give me some board control by threatening vehicles and expensive troops. My larger Reaver squad, accompanied by the Chaplain, is just a horrible monster and my smaller one remains potent even after they blow their plasma load. The Tactical blob benefits from Maloghurst's Legion Banner, which incidentally keeps the Navigator from Pinning himself and the squad if he fails to cast Warp Prescience [enemy shooting attacks directed at the blob are -1 BS]. I'm worried about enemy Knights and super-heavies, but I do have the Vindicator Laser Destroyer, the three meltaguns in the big Reaver squad, and the Contemptor's rending kheres cannons.

I have some room to work--I don't yet own all 20 Reavers or the Vindicator. I also have no idea what to do to get from 1850 to 2150, especially since I do not want to rush through painting Horus before the beginning of September. For 2150, I'm considering dropping Maloghurst, adding a vexilla to the existing squad and a full new tactical squad, and maybe a small jetbike squadron with melta bombs. But certainly nothing concrete, so I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Also, just FYI, I don't want the hardest list money can buy. I'd just like a fighting chance against some of the more competitive builds out there.

Edit: like, this is a fluffy campaign event, not a tournament, and I don't mind losing. I only want to make sure I have something to do for the game other than put fistfuls of dudes back into foam.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 10, 2016

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

Not only are your breasts flat, but you're also boring.
I'm working on a Word Bearers force which is lucky because all the calth box marines have the word bearers look! I'm trying to figure out what a nice neat 1.5k - 2k list might look like out of two betrayal boxes and then from there what things i should add (demons, tanks, forgeworld stuff) going forward to have a stronger list.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you do not take gal vorbak, your list is weaker than it could be, so you'll want some of those. out of the calth box, you'll probably not get much use out of the contemptors or the terminators, because they're competing for gal vorbak slots (unless you take the vorbak as troops ROW), and you'll probably want to use one of the named HQs; Word Bearers need to take a second compulsory HQ and several of them count for both of the requirements (Erebus and...Zordon Kayak or whatever)

beyond that, what points cost are you going for?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

That Sons of Horus list looks pretty good. I'm a big fan of power fists on the Reaver chieftains personally, just because they have so many attacks. The Vindicator is probably ok, I like the Rapier platforms myself just because T7 is pretty hard to kill and there's more ablative wounds in a full squad. You might consider using the new Sons of Horus Rite of War The Long March, which will give your outflanking Reavers Crusader (as long as they're in your enemy's deployment), which is a pretty bonkers special rule in 30k. You could also give your 5-man Reaver squad a dreadclaw to benefit from the re-rolling 1s on the first turn and to give them the +1BS for shooting within 12".

panascope fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 10, 2016

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

panascope posted:

That Sons of Horus list looks pretty good. I'm a big fan of power fists on the Reaver chieftains personally, just because they have so many attacks. The Vindicator is probably ok, I like the Rapier platforms myself just because T7 is pretty hard to kill and there's more ablative wounds in a full squad. You might consider using the new Sons of Horus Rite of War The Long March, which will give your outflanking Reavers Crusader (as long as they're in your enemy's deployment), which is a pretty bonkers special rule in 30k. You could also give your 5-man Reaver squad a dreadclaw to benefit from the re-rolling 1s on the first turn and to give them the +1BS for shooting within 12".

Hmm. For 2150 I could drop Maloghurst and add the Anvillus and a second tactical squad, although I feel weird about using a 100-point transport to deliver a disposable 200-point unit. I don't think I want to/can fit a Dreadclaw in at 1850, and at 2150 without Maloghurst I'd need a Praetor or Delegatus or Horus or Abaddon to take the Rite that turns it on. No reason not to use Long March at 1850, though; as best I can tell it's just a free bonus.

I seriously considered Rapiers and I still may go that route. I don't like the direct-fire Rapier models so much aesthetically, and the Vindicator gets me the same number of shots as a full battery with better range (48" vs 36" I believe) and for cheaper. I'll have to think about it, but I could definitely be persuaded.

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if you do not take gal vorbak, your list is weaker than it could be, so you'll want some of those. out of the calth box, you'll probably not get much use out of the contemptors or the terminators, because they're competing for gal vorbak slots (unless you take the vorbak as troops ROW), and you'll probably want to use one of the named HQs; Word Bearers need to take a second compulsory HQ and several of them count for both of the requirements (Erebus and...Zordon Kayak or whatever)

beyond that, what points cost are you going for?

around 2-2.5k! if i was going to use the hqs and elites from the box how should i outfit them? I get a bit of analysis paralysis especially with new armies since i don't pin or magnetize troops/terms just vehicles/walkers.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a Terminator-focused RoW, considering Deathwing. Or were they invented post heresy?

DJ Dizzy posted:

Deathwing is a post-heresy invention methinks.

Cythereal posted:

In an organizational sense it is, but in the books the Dark Angels apparently use a different organizational structure from everyone else: almost every character is mentioned to be part of a -wing formation. Deathwing, ravenwing, dreadwing, ironwing, and voidwing have all been mentioned IIRC.
The Deathwing was around during the legion days and originally kept their black armor when the rest of the Dark Angels switched to green. The bone-colored armor thing happened some time post-Heresy when one squad freed their homeworld from a bunch of genestealers. I don't know if the exact millennium is mentioned, but there's a 10,000 year window to work with.
:goonsay:

But yeah, you can already pretty much represent Deathwing with Pride of the Legion or similar Rites of War so a Deathwing rite would mostly be a reprint. Personally, I think their unique RoWs are a little too restrictive and won't be using them. Don't get me wrong, an army of acid dickbikes would be hilarious(ly expensive), but with infantry limited to flying transports and vehicles limited to skimmers or flyers I think they'd be hard-pressed for staying power. Bikes really aren't that tough though the outflanking redeployment thing is pretty cool and would help mitigate that. The Ironwing rite seems much more manageable, you'd just need a bunch of rhinos. I'm going to start with a Pride list though. Acid heavy bolter sniper veterans sound like fun.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I dunno, a storm eagle/Caestus full of veterans/termies and characters is definitely A Thing. The fact that acid jetbikes are so good actually has really warmed me up to the ravenwing ROW. I think the DA got a little boned on their special rules, have a lot of potential with their wargear (stasis shells are eh, plasma repeaters are situational but potentially very scary, acid and calibinite swords are awesome) and get two ROWs that at least seem workable. It's also kind of cool they can go in totally different directions as an army.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So with building out an Imperial Fists force from Calth, does it matter much how the Cataphractii are built, can they be THSS'd up à la 40k IF?

Also, while I'm sure Rhinos would be the smart choice, I feel like 3-6 Outriders and a Sicaran/a few Medusas would be the fun choice.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

Hmm. For 2150 I could drop Maloghurst and add the Anvillus and a second tactical squad, although I feel weird about using a 100-point transport to deliver a disposable 200-point unit. I don't think I want to/can fit a Dreadclaw in at 1850, and at 2150 without Maloghurst I'd need a Praetor or Delegatus or Horus or Abaddon to take the Rite that turns it on. No reason not to use Long March at 1850, though; as best I can tell it's just a free bonus.

I seriously considered Rapiers and I still may go that route. I don't like the direct-fire Rapier models so much aesthetically, and the Vindicator gets me the same number of shots as a full battery with better range (48" vs 36" I believe) and for cheaper. I'll have to think about it, but I could definitely be persuaded.

Sulecrist posted:

Well I should add I usually go 2 squads of 10 reavers, one outflanking with jump packs and one deep striking in a Dreadclaw. I think that works pretty well and gives you pretty good odds of turning on the Merciless Fighters bonus.

As for Rapiers vs Vindicators I think it's probably dependent on your meta. If there's lots of artillery and big blasts the Vindicator is probably better due to taking fewer HP/pinning tests (assuming they don't just blow it up), but T7 is generally harder to deal with than AV13/11/10. Bulbasaur brings a pair of Vindicators most games and they're occasionally relevant. My Rapier platforms haven't performed that much better honestly, although the last time we played they kind of warped the deployment and forced Bulbasaur/Stanyer to stay out of their kill zone.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

panascope posted:

Well I should add I usually go 2 squads of 10 reavers, one outflanking with jump packs and one deep striking in a Dreadclaw. I think that works pretty well and gives you pretty good odds of turning on the Merciless Fighters bonus.

As for Rapiers vs Vindicators I think it's probably dependent on your meta. If there's lots of artillery and big blasts the Vindicator is probably better due to taking fewer HP/pinning tests (assuming they don't just blow it up), but T7 is generally harder to deal with than AV13/11/10. Bulbasaur brings a pair of Vindicators most games and they're occasionally relevant. My Rapier platforms haven't performed that much better honestly, although the last time we played they kind of warped the deployment and forced Bulbasaur/Stanyer to stay out of their kill zone.

How much of a pain in the rear end is a Dreadclaw to assemble?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Imagine how fun a drop pod is to build and then imagine you had to carve up parts of it to fit to the dreadclaw parts.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

panascope posted:

Imagine how fun a drop pod is to build and then imagine you had to carve up parts of it to fit to the dreadclaw parts.

Okay, good to know. I have actually been eyeing the Anvillus for the last few weeks to potentially deliver Breachers, Seekers (though no longer relevant for SoH post-fix, in my opinion), or Support Weapon Squads. But I guess that plasma squad will be staying on foot, at least for now.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Major Spag posted:

Further proof that Dark Angles were the original heretics.

Fixed

Sulecrist posted:

I'm planning on going to the 30k events at NOVA in September. For the escalation event, I need 1850 and 2150 point lists. I can get there by then, but it'll take disciplined purchasing and planning, so I could really use your help. Here's what I'm thinking for 1850:

Panascope is our resident SoH expert so I don't really have much to add. One thing though- I used to run a navigator blob with chaplain and apothacary. For the list you have here, you might consider swapping out the tactical blob for breachers. It costs more points, but if you are looking for an anchor unit they are your dudes. SoH Breachers are better than most because of your extra attack at the end of combat- one of the biggest weaknesses of those units are the low number of attacks you have due to no extra attack bonus. Giving them melta bombs, while expensive, is also a major threat to drop podding dreadnaughts, knights, admech MCs, and other big nasty things. It's a good blocker unit.

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

for word bearers are they a very melee heavy army? do their tac squads take combat blade instead of bolter or in addition? do they use rhinos? Their special rules seem to be fairly assault oriented (sweeps, morale) but morale is just useful everywhere.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Anny-Mouse posted:

for word bearers are they a very melee heavy army? do their tac squads take combat blade instead of bolter or in addition? do they use rhinos? Their special rules seem to be fairly assault oriented (sweeps, morale) but morale is just useful everywhere.

They CAN be melee heavy. In particular the Gal Vorbak are NASTY in close combat. But it really depends a lot on how you build your army. It's one of the things I like about the 30k rule set. You can kind of take it multiple ways. It's once you start introducing the special legion specific units that you start to develop in one direction or another.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Would people be mad if I use my IG cadians as Solar Auxilia or Imperial Levy? It's either that or getting rid of it.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Kind of like if someone got mad at you for using the 40k predator or vindicator model, it's best you don't play with those people to begin with. I don't think anyone would mind.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Im talking more along the lines of the tourney scene.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

For Imperial Levy/Militia, it's beyond fine. Solar Auxilia are a little more specific, actually have formal models, wear void-hardened armor that is reflected in the rules, etc.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I suppose. Shame.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
The SA models are super super ugly though, and they're just humans with rifles. Go for it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

muggins posted:

The SA models are super super ugly though

Sorry about your super bad opinion

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Well no one seems to use the models for the storm axe sections so go for it dude. As long as everything is painted the same way it should be fine.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Hixson posted:

Sorry about your super bad opinion

Old timey diver suit dudes don't really do it for me

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I prefer my men in jorts, personally

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Personally, I love the Solar Auxilia models. All those flanges. :swoon:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I totally dig the veletaris with chargers. But the lasrifle section heads? Eurgh.

How does it work with allying Solar with regular Militia?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Sulecrist posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is a Dreadclaw to assemble?

I've converted two dreadclaws using this guide as a basis, and they work out pretty well. They actually go together easier than a regular drop pod, too: http://greenstuffindustries.blogspot.com/2015/04/dreadclaw-from-drop-pod-conversion.html

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJ Dizzy posted:

I totally dig the veletaris with chargers. But the lasrifle section heads? Eurgh.

How does it work with allying Solar with regular Militia?

Battle Bros which means there are some really really cool things you can pull off with them.

In the next 10 years if I ever get done with my Admech/IWs I definitely want to do some SA or Militia.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Fixed

Panascope is our resident SoH expert so I don't really have much to add. One thing though- I used to run a navigator blob with chaplain and apothacary. For the list you have here, you might consider swapping out the tactical blob for breachers. It costs more points, but if you are looking for an anchor unit they are your dudes. SoH Breachers are better than most because of your extra attack at the end of combat- one of the biggest weaknesses of those units are the low number of attacks you have due to no extra attack bonus. Giving them melta bombs, while expensive, is also a major threat to drop podding dreadnaughts, knights, admech MCs, and other big nasty things. It's a good blocker unit.

Panascope and Bulbasaur, thanks so much for the advice. I gave it some thought and adjusted a few things to turn the tactical blob into Breachers. I'm not sure which list I like better--what do you all think?

HQ:
Maloghurst the Twisted - 140
Chaplain, jump pack, melta bombs, artificer armor, refractor field - 130
Expeditionary Navigator - 50

Troop:
10x Breachers, melta bombs, 2x melta guns, sergeant has power fist and artificer armor - 330 (No vexilla because Maloghurst will be dicking around with these guys.)
10x Reavers, jump packs, 6x power weapons (five swords and the Chieftain gets an axe), 2x melta guns, artificer armor for the Chieftain - 360
5x Reavers, 4x combi-plasma/banestrike shells, Chieftain has power weapon, artificer armor, and a plasma gun

Elite:
Apothecary, augury scanner, artificer armor - 60
Contemptor-Mortis, dual kheres assault cannons - 180
3x Rapiers with thudd guns (or laser destroyers) - 180

Heavy Support:
Fire Raptor, reaper autocannons - 210

I dropped 5 Reavers, the Vindicator Laser Destroyer, and the 20x tactical marines and added 10x Breachers and 3x Thud Guns. I'm not sure this list is really an improvement although it certainly gives the backfield gang more to do. If I drop the Thud Guns to Rapier Laser Destroyers I can add one more Breacher. This list will really open up at 2150 (might be a good time for that Dreadclaw) but I want to figure this out first.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 11, 2016

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

ijyt posted:

So with building out an Imperial Fists force from Calth, does it matter much how the Cataphractii are built, can they be THSS'd up à la 40k IF?

They certainly can be, but they are expensive to do that (in points and cash) and cath termies will need lots of spare bitz if you want to give them anything but power-fists and claws. I ended giving my Cataphractii lots of axes, with two chain fists, two proto-assault cannons and 7 magnetized combi-weapons thrown in. The sergeant has a THSS for challenges since he gets re-rolls in them. I'm still putting my tartaros termies together and I'll probably just go whole hog with storm shields and power-fists for bigger games. 30k terminators are pretty flexible with load outs but be focused on a specific role or you will probably waste points.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Only the darkest, blackest and most brutal of "angles".

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

That list looks dope, Maloghurst and an Apothecary with Breachers should be totally bonkers in terms of survivability.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Yo Book 6 is most likely going on sale tomorrow; if you enjoyed the pictures do consider getting it.The fluff is cool, the art is cool. The only thing missing are wulfen in jorts, but you can't have every great thing in one book.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

Yo Book 6 is most likely going on sale tomorrow; if you enjoyed the pictures do consider getting it.The fluff is cool, the art is cool. The only thing missing are wulfen in jorts, but you can't have every great thing in one book.

Gunna be dope, hopefully the red books go up next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah I've been checking every day for the red books. Gonna get one for myself and panascope.

I wonder when the new LACAL book will go on sale. Its been talked about before, but no dates. Will it be before or after Prospero?