Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
As far as I know, there is a battery inside the theft alarm unit that is stowed somewhere under one of the fenders. The battery is known to wear out after a while and some people have replaced it with success. Google around for a write-up for your model.

The deck lid shocks on the hatch are easily replacable and is available (RockAuto has plenty). Just make sure to have a piece of lumber or other support to keep the hatch up, it is heavy and awkward and you do not want to try holding it up yourself during replacement. :)

For the CEL, I think it's worth carrying around a cheap code reader so if it comes back on you can read the code. Some codes can mean an impending DIC failure which will leave you stranded unless you carry a spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
God there are so many cheap Saabs out there.

How do you tell if a 9-5 wagon is one of the single-turbo V6s or not?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2001-saab-9-5-wagon-not-running/1137902855

I'm guessing I can't use a TD04 pulled from a WRX (which I have in my basement) and would have to find an appropriate T25(?) flange turbocharger.

Also, any idea on the rough running? This is a ~three hour drive away and I don't have a Tech2. Wondering if dude pulled the turbo because it was bad or if he did it to get another car on the road.

I have a red DIC from a 9000 CSE that I found in the junkyard kicking around my basement as well.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 10, 2016

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Aero's are Turbo'd and I think all the V6's were turbo'd

Edit:

quote:

In ascending order:

'98-'01 - 4-speed auto or 5-speed standard
-Base - 2.3L LPT 175hp, cloth or leather interior, most accessory equipment optional, heated seats optional, etc.)
-SE - 3.0L V6 turbo, leather interior
-Aero - 2.3L HOT 235hp (I believe TCS standard), leather interior

'02-'03 - 5-speed auto or 5-speed standard
-Linear - 2.3L LPT 175hp (I think it was still 175hp) (ESP stability control optional, TCS standard, HID's optional)
-Arc - 3.0L V6 turbo
-Aero - 2.3L 235hp, (ESP standard, steering wheel shift buttons for Aero standard)

'04-'05 - 5-speed auto (steering wheel shifters standard for all models) or 5-speed standard
-Linear - 2.3L LPT - I think was uprated to ~190hp
-Arc - 2.3L turbo, now ~220hp
-Aero - 2.3L HOT, now ~250hp,

'06-'09 - 5-speed auto (steering wheel shifters standard for all models) or 5-speed standard
-9-5 2.3T - 2.3L turbo, ~220hp
-9-5 Aero - 2.3L turbo, ~260hp

JayKay fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 10, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Dude took a picture that conveniently obscures the trim badge and I don't know enough about the subtleties of the 9-5 trims to tell what it might be.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Dude took a picture that conveniently obscures the trim badge and I don't know enough about the subtleties of the 9-5 trims to tell what it might be.

From looking at the interior and the switches, it's either an Aero (I4) or a fully loaded SE (V6).

I really can't tell. From the bad angle, the trim badge looks like SE to me.

Edit: I thought it had a TCS switch, but it looks like the Onstar button next to the SID.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 10, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I emailed the dude, so hopefully we'll get some information on this, but I'm starting to get a bad feeling about it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

If you're really desperate, I have a '00 9-5 Aero Sedan that I'm looking to get rid of :v:

Edit: It comes with a new driver's side CV axle, rack boot, and a crap ton of skin off my knuckles!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I emailed the dude, so hopefully we'll get some information on this, but I'm starting to get a bad feeling about it.

That Saab wagon is a 2.3l 4-cyl. The giveaway is the manual, the 3.0l v-6 only came in auto in 2001.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Replacing the air box and surrounding plastic tubing on my '02 9-5 this weekend. Wondering if I should get a new filter or anything while I'm in there working.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Service Theft Alarm is probably siren batteries, and capacitors in the siren.
I tried to fix it myself, but ended up getting some ebay rebuilder guy to do it.
I would suggest ebay rebuilder myself, as part of the problem was cutting into the housing to get at the guts probably broke it.

If the batteries die enough, then the siren will go off to tell you. Usually in the middle of the night, and you can't stop it until you unplug the siren. Its many minutes to get behind the fender liner.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

God there are so many cheap Saabs out there.

How do you tell if a 9-5 wagon is one of the single-turbo V6s or not?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2001-saab-9-5-wagon-not-running/1137902855

I'm guessing I can't use a TD04 pulled from a WRX (which I have in my basement) and would have to find an appropriate T25(?) flange turbocharger.

Also, any idea on the rough running? This is a ~three hour drive away and I don't have a Tech2. Wondering if dude pulled the turbo because it was bad or if he did it to get another car on the road.

I have a red DIC from a 9000 CSE that I found in the junkyard kicking around my basement as well.

Same that others have said regarding engine. If its anything like mine the rough running is likely vacuum leaks, which might be a pain to nail down, but not super expensive. It could also be fuel delivery, but the pump has an access hatch under the seat.

The red DIC is not the correct one. This car will use the black one.

E: If you get there and it has the red dic that'll give a clue as to the rough running too :v:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

blindjoe posted:

unplug the siren

Just do that preemptively, nobody gives a poo poo about alarms going off these days anyway.. Well, except you since you'll wake up with a car that won't start because of the loving gm factory alarm system.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

blindjoe posted:

Service Theft Alarm is probably siren batteries, and capacitors in the siren.
I tried to fix it myself, but ended up getting some ebay rebuilder guy to do it.
I would suggest ebay rebuilder myself, as part of the problem was cutting into the housing to get at the guts probably broke it.

If the batteries die enough, then the siren will go off to tell you. Usually in the middle of the night, and you can't stop it until you unplug the siren. Its many minutes to get behind the fender liner.

This is just a loving brilliant decision, since even in 2002 nobody gave two shits about car alarms. Saabcentral also confirmed it was the siren, but didn't mention that little detail anywhere I saw. I guess I should deal with it sooner rather than later, along with figuring out how to get the battery out of the fob before it dies completely.

Thank you Mario as well, good to know the trunk lid shocks are still around and easy to replace. Deck lid certainly is heavy, I still have the bruise on my arm from when it helpfully let me know they needed to be replaced. At least I got my head out of the way fast enough. I've seen no CEL while I've had it, only showed up on one of the more recent shop receipts. From that it looks like it came on once, then went away, shop couldn't find anything and it doesn't seem to have happened again. Not that I trust the shop, and I will be grabbing another bluetooth OBD2 widget once I confirm it will play nice with Torque.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
I gave my 2005 aero automatic @~21.000 km a day at the spa, she turned out quite fine.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

underlig posted:

I gave my 2005 aero automatic @~21.000 km a day at the spa, she turned out quite fine.

Beautiful.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

underlig posted:

Do the 05's still have the saggy rear end issue with the stock struts/springs that throws camber off or can you actually adjust camber on the newer ones?

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I posted my Saab for sale if anyone's interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/191823448137

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

keykey posted:

Do the 05's still have the saggy rear end issue with the stock struts/springs that throws camber off or can you actually adjust camber on the newer ones?
All OG9-5s have this. To adjust camber you'll need the K-Mac bushing or the eEuroParts adjustable lower arm. The sagging is caused by worn springs and/or shocks.

I bought a b235 last SAAB festival. With my Bilstein B8/Eibach kombo the car dropped under an inch when they forklifted it into the boot.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I've got a free 1984 Saab 900 Turbo in the north Bay Area for anyone who has a good plan for it and can pick it up by or on Saturday, or make a definite plan to do it very close to Saturday. If I had more time I could sell it but I prefer saving the car to making money.

If it's not picked up by then, my mom's donating it.

It's got a broken transmission, at the very least, and probably more issues from sitting for 18 years.

Craigslist ad with pictures is here: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5556889934.html

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

I've got a free 1984 Saab 900 Turbo in the north Bay Area for anyone who has a good plan for it and can pick it up by or on Saturday, or make a definite plan to do it very close to Saturday. If I had more time I could sell it but I prefer saving the car to making money.

If it's not picked up by then, my mom's donating it.

It's got a broken transmission, at the very least, and probably more issues from sitting for 18 years.

Craigslist ad with pictures is here: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5556889934.html

That was one of the more literate private auto sale Craigslist ads I've read.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
2008 9-5 wagon, 60k miles
oil change, replace front main seal, replace oil press sensor, replace right rear parking sensor, two new tires and an alignment: $1202
I think that is ok.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

any tips for finding decent tires that'll fit a saab 99's 4-bolt soccer ball wheels? I'm getting my dad's 99 ready to roll out and I pumped up the first tire and it exploded (nearly in my face).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

any tips for finding decent tires that'll fit a saab 99's 4-bolt soccer ball wheels? I'm getting my dad's 99 ready to roll out and I pumped up the first tire and it exploded (nearly in my face).

They're not metric wheels are they?

I wrote a tool a little while ago to see what tires in a nearby range are good, maybe you can find something broadly available like a 195/60: http://nondisplayable.ca/tire-plusone/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

They're not metric wheels are they?

I wrote a tool a little while ago to see what tires in a nearby range are good, maybe you can find something broadly available like a 195/60: http://nondisplayable.ca/tire-plusone/

apparently 185/55R15 works too, which is a little better than the original size of which exactly one type is available

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm getting a saab again. I had a 87 saab convertible a bunch of years ago with 200k miles on it and a 2004 saab 95 aero wagon and now I'm coming back to the ancient calling. A 2000 saab 95 sedan with meticulous records and was owned by the local saab mechanic a couple years ago.

The door pull is already giving away on the drivers side. That was annoyance on the wagon, too. Looks like replacement pulls aren't too bad.

Needs a di cassette, has an o2 code, and new alignment. The saab mechanic here says he's "trained" two tire shops to actually align the rear wheels which I guess helps keep the cars from devouring rubber. I'm no expert though.

The wagon needed a head Gasket and a ton of poo poo. Looking forward to the nightmare of the undead car experience.

When I sold the convertible to a couple, they had it inspected and it came back with every kind of leak possible. Exhaust, vacuum, I think a dead cylinder even, something else. Thing still drove great.

Looks like the pcv update was done to this saab but I'll probably still make sure that won't haunt me.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

atomicthumbs posted:

apparently 185/55R15 works too, which is a little better than the original size of which exactly one type is available

I've got 195/60r15 continental premium contacts on both of my 99's. Good tyres. Plenty of budget options in this size available too.

I've got one set on some Incas and the other set on minilites so they should be fine on the soccer balls too. I guess they are a bit smaller in height that the original tyre but they look normal.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 3, 2016

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

So after a year of sitting in my garage, disassembled, I finally was able to tackle a bunch of issues on my '00 9-5 Aero.

I even fired it up with minimal smoke! :v:

However, my new hurdle is the fact the old tie rod end (which I should replace anyways) isn't allowing me to put the nut on it. It gets about half way on and starts spinning. Any suggestions?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

So after a year of sitting in my garage, disassembled, I finally was able to tackle a bunch of issues on my '00 9-5 Aero.

I even fired it up with minimal smoke! :v:

However, my new hurdle is the fact the old tie rod end (which I should replace anyways) isn't allowing me to put the nut on it. It gets about half way on and starts spinning. Any suggestions?
Make sure both the threads are really, really clean. In the winter, I would suggest taking the nut inside with you and warming it so it expands, but it's summer so I dunno.

You can probably park the head of the bolt by holding it still with a screwdriver on the end of the shaft as you put the castle nut on. I don't suggest cutting a slit for a flathead, since a cotter-pinned bolt is delicate enough as it is.

All you really need is to add a little more friction to the bolt and the nut should spin right on. In situations like this I've also had success "scaring" the nut on with an impact but it's probably not a super idea with a cotter-pinned bolt in a tie rod end.

On endlinks with that design there is sometimes a hex cut-out in the end of the bolt that you can use to park the bolt while you spin the nut on.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 8, 2016

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I saw a suggestion on SaabCentral that suggested standing on top of the tie rod end and that worked.

Just need to change the fluids and get safety/emissions done and it'll be all set. :dance:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Well I feel dumb. Right before I mothballed the Saab, the electric trunk release went out. I couldn't unlock via the door or remote, however the key worked fine. I thought the actuator might have died since I've pretty much had to replace ALL the lock actuators in the car since I've owned it. Today I went out, dropped the lining from the trunk lid and hooked up the new actuator, nothing.

Jumped online and saw that the OG 9-5's have a habit of shredding the trunk wiring harnesses. I pulled out the harness at the junction point, lo and behold, the green/white wire which runs to the electric trunk release was broken.

Guess I'm going to have to add harness repair to the list.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

:siren: HEY West SAAB Story :siren:

Please come back.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Replaced the stupid door pull that always seems to fall apart from the inside of the handle in my 2000 95. What a pain. Whole door panel had to come off. I wonder how long this pull will last until it develops a bubble on the inside of it and it starts peeling.

Went to the junk yard and salvaged a replacement signal stalk with less worn writing. Snatched up a manual diagram for the shifter but I think my knob might be after market? It's blank and has a small hole in the center, which doesn't seem to desire an emblem. I'd rather put a steering wheel saab logo on it, but that might have to wait.

Replaced the DIC. Seems to run a little better but from what I understand the codes were for the dic but no misfires. Local place didn't have the plugs I wanted so I'm waiting. The CEL is on but it was on initially for DIC codes, solar sensor and no activity from o2 sensor 1. The o2 code vanished when I took it in to the mechanic initially anyway so maybe it came back.

Replaced the lights on the interior, courtesy, etc. They had been replaced with cold white led bulbs that must've been early generation because they had huge heat sinks on them and were super hot to touch. The ones I replaced them with had no heat sinks and don't seem to run as warm anyway.

Replaced the cabin air filter. It didn't need it. But at least I know I can take that crap apart.

Wish I had a turbo needle, even if it is mostly decoration and more of a "torque" reader. Looks weird having that empty space in the cluster. The cluster has a dim bulb in the 70-90 mph range, bleh.

Found the blue saab Bluetooth module thing if that hasn't been mentioned here. Unless that's how I found it, through here. It plugs into the CD changer harness in the trunk and acts as a Bluetooth bridge. Steering controls supposedly work too. The Mouser BOM and pcb order are in the hardware forum of this : blue saab Bluetooth forum the pcb has to be ordered in batches of three so if anyone wants to go in on this I'm game. Some people on there will build then for you but charge a decent amount. A guy was selling an older version (3.3) for about 125 USD. I remember another after market Bluetooth thing used to exist that was like 250ish USD a couple years ago.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Interesting. I didn't know anyone made that work but it figures since you can buy AUX kits. I have the latter and I'm not impressed. The volume is far too low and the power to the module cuts if you turn off the car, which switches back to radio and proceeds to blast your ears off due to the volume difference. Guess both issues could be solved by a small amp on the input signal (already amplified by the headphone amp in the phone) and stealing power from the headunit instead of the 12V AUX port.

SMD soldering though :(

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
A user on there posted a video for smd soldering advice but yah I feel similar

I understand you can adjust the volume output when you first start the car with some arcane button presses on the radio for any input

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

The fact I have to remove my passenger side headlight to access the A/C ports is so SAAB it hurts.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 221 days!)

JayKay posted:

:siren: HEY West SAAB Story :siren:

Please come back.

ohai

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Like Beetlejuice. Impressive.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

JayKay posted:

The fact I have to remove my passenger side headlight to access the A/C ports is so SAAB it hurts.

What model? Getting functional ac is next year's expensive project and I've been wondering how to do it on the 9-5.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

SCA Enthusiast posted:

What model? Getting functional ac is next year's expensive project and I've been wondering how to do it on the 9-5.

'00 9-5 Aero

Apparently '99-'01 are under the headlight.

Relevant Saab Central post here

For what it's worth, removing the headlight is pretty easy. But still, c'mon man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

A/C Recharge Trip Report

It really wasn't that bad. Just need to remove passenger side headlight, corner marker, and the grill.

Tools required:
Hex driver (you have one in the trunk!)
10mm Socket
Phillips head screwdriver

Remove 2 hex screws from top of headlight.
Pull out corner marker
Unscrew the 2 plastic screws securing the grill, remove grill
Remove 2 10mm bolts from headlights, remove headlight.
I let both the corner marker and headlights hang.

The low side port was located underneath a foam covered pipe. I never would have found it without taking the headlight out however I think I could possibly get to it without removal now.

My A/C was slightly low and it seems to be blowing much cooler now. I'm guessing the previous owner took the car in for A/C service as there was green dye all over the fill port. :v: