Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

nielsm posted:

I got a net, and some warning stickers for the biggest window in the room today, so I'm hoping to let Putni get some proper flight time soon.

:kimchi: oh my gaaaaaaawd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Eeeeh look at those potatoes :kimchi:

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Who's afraid of the big bad grey?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Tacos latest obsession is sitting on the pedestal fan I have in the computer room (because gently caress Australian summers).

He just sits on it like its a carnival ride, as it slowly oscillates back and forth. Oscillates near the door, begin licking door, oscillates away. Near the door again *lick lick lick*

wtf bird you have the power of flight, why is a gentle oscillation so exciting?

(the grill that covers the fan is tight enough that he can't poke a foot or beak or feathers through it, and I still keep an eye on him when he is on it. he just really loves this fan)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Eejit posted:

Cloudness confirmed, tested with face, nose mysteriously still intact

:3: I'd like to see a before/after of a black shirt after you've hugged your cloud

Tendai posted:

EDIT: Wait hold on, are other parrots not as soft as cockatiels? Because dang, Judah is so nice to rub my face against. Except right now because he's still a pinfeathery mess who is now also cranky as poo poo.

Nope! I assumed that all the parrots with the intense powder down feel the same, but have no idea if Greys are as soft. Conures are more smooth and silky, than the fluffy soft puffiness of a cockatiel.

nielsm posted:

I got a net, and some warning stickers for the biggest window in the room today, so I'm hoping to let Putni get some proper flight time soon.

That hate lasted long. Cockatiel politics! Try not to use the net if you can help it. Often they'll just go back to their cage by choice, as it's a safe place with food and nap perches. And if he flies around to ESCAPE YOU he'll soon get winded and land somewhere you can pick him up anyway

greypearl posted:

Terrifying :3:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Battle Pigeon posted:

And if he flies around to ESCAPE YOU he'll soon get winded and land somewhere you can pick him up anyway

lol, or alternatively make you run around the room like a nutter, stopping for rests in hard to get to places before flying away again when you get near him. Hostile birds and birds who are just being a bit grumpy because they don't want to go back in the cage are wildly different animals :D. One time Shy dropped half her tail feathers when I tried to catch her without the net and still carried on flying around like she was drunk.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

And that's why you've got to run around with your arms up in the air like you just don't care, maybe holding a SCARY object like a tea towel, so that they fly in a different direction to that hard to reach shelf or high up alcove. :v:

I've dealt with grumpy, hostile, and frightened/nervous. One time one of my male zebra finches escaped for the first (and last) time in his life, and he was so overwhelmed by the wide open space that he mostly just hovered around in little confused frantic circles before aiming for a net curtain where he could be conveniently just gently picked up. The cutest escapee

E: I just put my hand in Steve's cage to adjust the paper towels on the floor he dug up and he attacked me for the first time ever!

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 10, 2016

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

greypearl posted:

This might be the first picture of a grey I've seen where he or she doesn't look like he is plotting... something...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

S/he is just being a cute bird where is my wallet?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Winklebottom posted:

warning: bird puns

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm totally imagining Steve saying "if you were a fruit, you'd be a fineapple" to Ohtori now. It's great.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Putni is out of the cage! Took him almost 30 minutes to figure out what an open door looks like and what it means.

He's very obviously out of flight training, and gets winded after just short flights. Having patterned curtains on one window and stickers on another seems to make a difference for not smacking into those.

Right now, he's sitting atop Pion's cage, staring into a wall, possibly contemplating the meaning of the phrase "free as a bird".

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It seems Pion really wants to preen Putni, but Putni doesn't want to be part of it.

Resulting in angry birds.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

nielsm posted:

It seems Pion really wants to preen Putni, but Putni doesn't want to be part of it.

Resulting in angry birds.

Angry dinosaurs with adorable orange cheeks :3:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etONkmvGqdY

Video of Putni not leaving the cage for 4 minutes. However there is some Pion x Putni action. (For some reason it's okay when it's through cage bars.)

Some 10+ minutes later, Pion discovered it was possible to enter the other cage, and then went to steal some food and grab a couple seeds Putni had dropped on the cage bottom. Putni soon joined Pion on the cage bottom, and then slowly made his way onto the door. Eventually he'd crawled all the way onto the outside of the cage.

I ended up having to use the net to get him inside again, after an hour and a half of open-cage time.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
Fry bird is being a molting hormonal jerk face to me lately, but when he feels like it he will come cuddle and be sweet but he's refusing to let me help with the pin feathers. Last year he couldn't get enough head scratching. How old are GCCs when they turn to teenagers and when will this be over?

Meanwhile, he is sweet and loving to any guest in the house, so his hate is directed at me. What did I do? I'm starting to get my feelings hurt.

In other news, Slimbird is doing amazing! She has completely regrown her feathers and her best friend is a macaw named Rio. The boy ekkie, Nico is still being bossed around by her, but Rio takes no poo poo. I will update with pics when I'm home on my real computer. I'm just so happy she's thriving!

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
I got a cute african grey plushie strap

it makes a squeaky noise when you squeeze it!

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Like this guy??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ1nAR86Vd8

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you encourage a bird thats had its wings clipped by the breeder and only just got them back to fly? Right now he's only flying when he doesn't like something like me picking up a red bag, cause bird.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I laugh like an idiot every time I see this drat video :allears:.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, this made me laugh so hard I wheezed. That's amazing :allears:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How do you encourage a bird thats had its wings clipped by the breeder and only just got them back to fly? Right now he's only flying when he doesn't like something like me picking up a red bag, cause bird.

Scout does not fly unless startled or we coerce her into doing it. Her wings were clipped by the breeder too.

Also she is being a massive whiny bitch right now. Standing on her cage whining and looking for attention, but when I go to give it to her she turns into rear end in a top hat bitey birdy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I have a picture of one of my birds with a Luger somewhere...

Let me see...

Edit : gently caress if I can find it...er...COCK ON A GLOCK!

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 11, 2016

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dust machine on top of firearm makes me want to field strip something asap

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

not QUITE the same but that video is amazing :)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

I have a picture of one of my birds with a Luger somewhere...

Let me see...

Edit : gently caress if I can find it...er...COCK ON A GLOCK!

Trigger discipline: Cute :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Here are some pics of... TOAST!

Toast inspecting my hosed-up knee (I hosed it up, it's better now). He looks ratty because he was having a moult.

Toast cuddling up to my mouse hand, his favourite place to have a nap.

A photo my Dad took when he was looking after Toast for a weekend.

Beep (another one from my Dad)

(((vibrating intensifies))) (another one from Dad)

>inspect iceblock (another one from Dad)

FREE HIM (one from my Dad. Toast got locked up for biting)

Toast back in Brisbane with me chomping on a crow's ash pod.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What a happy little lemonbirb

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mikerock posted:

Scout does not fly unless startled or we coerce her into doing it. Her wings were clipped by the breeder too.

Also she is being a massive whiny bitch right now. Standing on her cage whining and looking for attention, but when I go to give it to her she turns into rear end in a top hat bitey birdy.

I don't know what is with breeders and YOU MUST HAVE A CLIP. It was rediculously difficult to have Kundi's breeder not trim her, like, nearly-refusing-the-sale difficult. The gently caress, breeder.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

When she was picked up, lo and behold she was given a light clip regardless.

She's full flighted and thank heavens very agile. It is the owner's decision whether the bird will fly to get around. The current owners are raptor rehabilitators. SO is a loving raptor rehabilitator. gently caress off breeder, we know (well, they know) what to do.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 11, 2016

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hannah let his guard down a bit so I could scratch him.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Potato Salad posted:

When she was picked up, lo and behold she was given a light clip regardless.

She's full flighted and thank heavens very agile. It is the owner's decision whether the bird will fly to get around. The current owners are raptor rehabilitators. SO is a loving raptor rehabilitator. gently caress off breeder, we know (well, they know) what to do.

The breeder we got Skillet from clipped his wings so aggressively that he ended up breaking every freaking tail feather on his body. He'd try to fly and basically just plummet straight down. I guess the breeder was originally planning on using him as a breeder bird but changed their mind because he turned out to be a girl, and they needed a male. (Skillet is almost certainly actually a male bird, btw, he was apparently just very quiet :v:) It's been really frustrating having to deal with the dinky little feathers because he was honest to god hurting himself when we first brought him home and now that his wings are mostly intact he can't really figure out how to fly and has no confidence about it when he does try. I wish they'd just left his wings unclipped.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Down feathers on Greys are the silliest things. I like it when one sticks on Pearl's head like a hat.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I don't understand bird social customs.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

nielsm posted:

I don't understand bird social customs.

I don't think birds understand bird social customs.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There's a geometric increase in derpiness relative to number of cockatiels.

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeMC2sYP8gY

Cockatiel gets ridiculously puffy.

Lovebird dives into a plastic bag and rolls around while peeping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh kay so looks like Australian black kites and brown falcons are starting bush fires now. Seems they have learned that small animals will rush out when fires start and it's an all you can eat buffet, so flocks of them sit there on the outside of the fire zone waiting for dinner to run to them. Too many birds and not enough prey and one of them will pick up a burning stick and go start their own new fire.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/australian-raptors-may-be-playing-fire