Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tendales posted:

RIP Wayne England

What game is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

cenotaph posted:

What game is that?

Gonna go with the first edition of Talisman.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oldschool RPG art is incredibly sick. There are a few blogs out there that collect it, but this one is my favorite:

http://oldschoolfrp.tumblr.com/

edit: slightly NSFW because of Frazetta style boobs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Andarel posted:

Speaking of new hotness, is anyone still playing Dilluvia Project? Hype for it seemed to die down pretty fast.

Replayability was not great, and people stopped asking to play it, so I gave it to a friend for her prize table.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tendales posted:

RIP Wayne England

Rutibex posted:

I don't see anything wrong here.

Yeah this is like a perfect D&D 1st / AD&D aesthetic.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Lorini posted:

Replayability was not great, and people stopped asking to play it, so I gave it to a friend for her prize table.

That's a shame. It had sounded promising, but replayability seemed like the big concern :(

Well, onto the FCM bandwagon we go.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Gonna go with the first edition of Talisman.

:eng101:
Ahem, it is actually the second edition of Talisman. First Edition cards are black and white and look even more like an AD&D manual.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

:eng101:
Ahem, it is actually the second edition of Talisman. First Edition cards are black and white and look even more like an AD&D manual.

Man you can't even get your gimmick right, 3rd edition is the one Wayne England jizzed all over. I believe a few of them are recycled 2nd edition art but all of the ones with inexplicable glowy poo poo are pure 3e Talisman.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Played Dungeon Petz for the third time, including my disastrous online try.

Holy gently caress I am so bad at this game. I love Dungeon Lords and smash most of the time I play it, but the auction combined with the limited actions and rounds and

Yeah. Still enjoyed myself! Scores were 87 63 61, I lost, my wife dominated.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gabriel Pope posted:

Man you can't even get your gimmick right, 3rd edition is the one Wayne England jizzed all over. I believe a few of them are recycled 2nd edition art but all of the ones with inexplicable glowy poo poo are pure 3e Talisman.

:eng99:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

canyoneer posted:

I got into the hobby with flawed games (Risk, Settlers of Catan) and bad games (Munchkin) and moved on to good games, so there is hope for people who start with Exploding Kittens, Betrayal, or Dead of Winter.

Yeah, being industry gateways is a great benefit to the 'bad games' getting massive adoption, and worth celebrating at least in a silver lining sense and not getting hipster mad about.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
BGA seems to be hinting at Keyflower as their next game http://forum.boardgamearena.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9993

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

taser rates posted:

BGA seems to be hinting at Keyflower as their next game http://forum.boardgamearena.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9993

Mother of God.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Played Dungeon Petz for the third time, including my disastrous online try.

Holy gently caress I am so bad at this game. I love Dungeon Lords and smash most of the time I play it, but the auction combined with the limited actions and rounds and

Yeah. Still enjoyed myself! Scores were 87 63 61, I lost, my wife dominated.

I prefer Dungeon Lords, but I think the big advantage DP has is the more structured 2 and 3 player variants.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

taser rates posted:

oh hell yes. speaking of bga i'm in a tournament right now and the agenda isn't visible any more - does the red bar at that bottom that says "there are upcoming matches in this tournament. YOU have X more matches to play" include the currently running game (which is labelled "yet to be played" until fully completed)?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

taser rates posted:

:vince:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

taser rates posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DieyzCVTMog

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They just confirmed it as well. :getin:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

taser rates posted:

HITLER HELL rear end THIS IS BEST NEWS I EVER HEAR 2016

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Hi board game thread. Three things:
  1. I'm running a PbP game of The End is Nigh. It is a weird kinda mafia-like that I describe in the thread as "Mafia or The Resistance meets Battlestar Galactica and Clue(do), but without player elimination, a random number of PC bad guys, and no out of thread communication. I guess." To restate, it's probably more Resistance-y than Mafia-y, but the mechanics play more like a weird game of Clue with traitor stuff sort of equivalent to BSG. It's currently in its playtest phase, gearing up for a potential Kickstarter at some point, and I'm thinking of reviewing it for The Print 'n Play Cast. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, so I make no promises of quality. Should be interesting, at any rate! You can find the thread by clicking the following image!

2. Speaking of The Print 'n Play Cast -- which thread regulars will know as the podcast (which I keep pimping in the thread) that I do with Somberbrero where we play and critically analyze print-and-play board games -- our newest episode came out last Friday. We played Karmaka, which is a pretty cool game that does a lot of pretty cool things. That episode is on the website now.

3. That Wayne England art is hella my aesthetic.

Clockwork Gadget fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 11, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Speaking of The Print 'n Play Cast -- which thread regulars will know as the podcast (which I keep pimping in the thread) that I do with Somberbrero where we play and critically analyze print-and-play board games -- our newest episode came out last Friday. We played Karmaka, which is a pretty cool game that does a lot of pretty cool things. That episode is on the website now.

Sirlin currently has Codex available as PnP during the kickstarter, you should consider that so I can hear reviews from people who aren't actually as deep in the yomihole as I am.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Countblanc posted:

Sirlin currently has Codex available as PnP during the kickstarter, you should consider that so I can hear reviews from people who aren't actually as deep in the yomihole as I am.

We've talked about it! I think we actually probably mention it for a minute towards the end of the last episode if I didn't end up cutting that part out. We also rag on Sirlin quite a bit in I think at least two other episodes because gently caress that guy.

I'm in that spot where I despise David Sirlin for so many reasons but also I play Flash Duel and Puzzle Strike on the reg bc they're real good and I always want to get deeper into Yomi.

I want Codex to be good, and fully recognize that it's gonna probably be at least alright, but also everything about the pitch video and the campaign page makes me go :siren::argh:SIRLIN:argh::siren:!!!!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Thought I'd send out another offer for a game of Antiquity over at http://play.boardgamecore.net/
I really don't get to play it enough.

Though I suppose I'd also be down for a FCM, though I haven't played it before and would probably lose badly.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

The General posted:

Thought I'd send out another offer for a game of Antiquity over at http://play.boardgamecore.net/
I really don't get to play it enough.

Though I suppose I'd also be down for a FCM, though I haven't played it before and would probably lose badly.

Is it async? I'll take you up on that, to at least learn it if nothing else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

homullus posted:

There is nothing wrong except that the artist, Wayne England, died.

Christopher Rush has just died as well.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Mega64 posted:

Exploding Zombies Against Cthulhumanity.

PM me for details on where to send my royalty cheque.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Merauder posted:

I want (we all want, I'm sure) to see "better" games be as successful too, but it's not a zero-sum situation. People spending money on trash projects like Exploding Kittens (or SotM, though I think there's a huge disparity between using those two as examples) doesn't keep them from spending money on something else, unless maybe in the case of two such campaigns running concurrently. There's not a finite amount of money for people to buy entertainment. It's hardly depressing or worth getting angry that a product has a wider / mass appeal? It just comes across as a petty rant against something being popular, just because it's popular.

I just checked to make sure, and there's a finite amount of money in my bank account. You're right in saying that it's not exactly a zero sum equation because people might go over budget when they see an appealing game, but for the purpose of the discussion the market is close enough to zero sum.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Well it is true that if people who otherwise wouldn't have bought games buy them then it's zero sum within the hobby itself, but that's a much weaker statement

vvv Added a bonus not which I've now removed, and yeah this doesn't count them getting into it because of games like EK - just looking at the individual purchase in a vacuum

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 11, 2016

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Is it, though? The markets for Exploding Kittens, Keyflower, and Zombicide do not overlap anywhere near 100% - they are aimed at different crowds and as long as people keep getting into the hobby over time (which games like Exploding Kittens can do because of the advertising behind them) there's always more money to be made. One person's bank account is zero-sum, but the market isn't as long as it has room to grow. Games like Keyflower that are directly competing with other "hobby"/"designer" games, though, those are a lot closer to zero-sum because they've got a much slower-growing audience.

Also, speaking of markets, arrrrrrgh at playing the 3-pizza instead of the 8-pizza in the online FCM game, huge mistake that cost me the $100 milestone. :smith:

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
How many people ITT received Exploding Kittens as a Christmas gift "because I heard you like boardgames". Show of hands please.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

theroachman posted:

How many people ITT received Exploding Kittens as a Christmas gift "because I heard you like boardgames". Show of hands please.

because we have cats, my girlfriend and I have gotten told numerous times that "we need this game." but thankfully didn't receive it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

MrDru posted:

because we have cats, my girlfriend and I have gotten told numerous times that "we need this game." but thankfully didn't receive it
I too sometimes wish that pets I know and love would suddenly blow up.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

theroachman posted:

Everyone who knows me knows that I'm very picky and critical and just avoid buying me any of my stupid niche hobby poo poo. I don't get very many gifts.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Oldstench posted:

Just FYI, if you want to play 18xx but can't get a group together, register at http://www.rr18xx.com/cgi-pub/cxd_user_reg.cgi with the promocode pt_18xxyahoo (it's free) and you can play 1830, 1853, 1856, and 1870 with full rules implementation, and nice looking map screen, etc. It may appear a bit obtuse, but the website is fairly self-explanatory.

Let's play some 1830 trains here. Anyone up for it? I'm still learning the rules so I will play very badly, guaranteed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

theroachman posted:

Alas :negative:

I also got Mage Knight and Kemet so I think that's still net positive

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Oldstench posted:

Everyone who knows me knows that I'm very picky and critical and just avoid buying me any of my stupid niche hobby poo poo. I don't get very many gifts.

Same. Wife gave my in-laws an Xwing shopping list for both of us :dance:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Alas :negative:

I also got Mage Knight and Kemet so I think that's still net positive

Yeah, Kemet definitely makes up for getting two poo poo games.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I also got Mage Knight

A good Christmas.

I got Commands & Colors: Napoleonics for Christmas which is a really fun game :)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, the success of things like CAH and exploding kittens is honestly a really good thing for more niche games because they are not really competing. Even the niche games don't really compete with one another because playing one tricky euro game and loving it just makes you want to buy more!

I've been asked a couple of times about what it's like competing with D&D (with my game, Strike!) and I always tell people that it's the opposite of a competition because somebody who buys D&D products is a hundred times more likely to find and buy my game than somebody who never buys any RPGs. And somebody who buys indie RPGs is yet more likely to buy my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

theroachman posted:

I got Twilight Imperium 3, but then again my family actually loves me.