Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Apache posted:

I think Wayne already called BS on this seemingly recurring rumor, looks like it popped up the same time last year.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that the rumors are just bay area people making jokes and the magazine took it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

funkybottoms posted:

if you and/or your crew wanna hit up a brewery or two i might know some guys

I will see what's up, thanks for the offer. At the very least we'll need to have a drink again

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Furious Lobster posted:

In regards to this, I'd be interested in maybe doing another Goon party bus over to de Garde from Portland since I never got to partake in the last one. Also, to those who are making the trip over to Tillamook in the next couple of weeks, I'm sure that extra tickets would be very helpful those who are still in limbo. PM me your emails if you are either a Oregoon or interested in going to the party.

Not trying to get ahead of myself before tickets are in hand but... Party bus is awesome but if we can't do it again let's try to at least meet up in Portland. Also, can we coordinate hotels? This time around I'm definitely going to be spending a few extra days in Portland and hopefully making the trek down to Bend for the first time.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 10, 2016

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

The dry-hopped version was made specifically for the Columbia Craft Beer Cellar store and was released a few weeks back. It was turding it up the last time I was in there, but I have a feeling word got out and it's likely gone by now. As far as other things to look for, Brew Cocky is a more-than-serviceable IIPA and Chaotic Insecure Delusions is a very good farmhouse ale, and I'm pretty sure both are widely available around Missouri. Also any of the LSD variants, as trauma llama stated.

Craft beer Cellar in Clayton got the dry hopped Katy as well. We drank a ton of it on New Years.

As far as their hoppy stuff goes I'm a bigger fan of Art of Neurosis.

The Wine and Cheese place in St. Louis had a Peach Katy, but I missed out on that one.

I also missed out on Sump this year. I didn't see any make it too Chicago. Madagascar made it up here and sat around at Woodmans, but I don't really get the love for 4 hands.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

HatfulOfHollow posted:

This time around I'm definitely going to be spending a few extra days in Portland and hopefully making the trek down to Bend for the first time.

You better!

I am not going to unduly try to get to the degarde party again but I am always up for hangin' in the PDX.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Sent my first beer mail

My sister moved to CO for grad school so sending her a few treats. How do you traders normally do it? It was $55 for priority, and it could get there as late as Saturday. I hate the idea of it sitting warm for that long but it was $130 to ship overnight.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

mmartinx posted:

Sent my first beer mail

My sister moved to CO for grad school so sending her a few treats. How do you traders normally do it? It was $55 for priority, and it could get there as late as Saturday. I hate the idea of it sitting warm for that long but it was $130 to ship overnight.

I print my own labels and even a full shipper from Dallas to Bend (most expensive shipment I've sent out) isn't $55! That's insane.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Well why was mine so expensive then :(

I'm looking at the receipt, USPS "PM 2-Day Domestic" Boston to Denver, 20lbs 2oz, $55.55

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Ah that's why. Ground is the way to go since 2 day and overnight cost way more. I also try to avoid sending boxes on wednesdays.

Also never send boxes using USPS. Don't do that again.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

air- posted:

Ah that's why. Ground is the way to go since 2 day and overnight cost way more. I also try to avoid sending boxes on wednesdays.

Also never send boxes using USPS. Don't do that again.

I'm checking on USPS.com and even ground is $47, sucks

edit -- UPS/Fedex better?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

mmartinx posted:

I'm looking at the receipt, USPS "PM 2-Day Domestic" Boston to Denver, 20lbs 2oz, $55.55

Ehhhh... Best to avoid USPS. One, it's usually more expensive than FedEx/UPS for a good sized box and it's also, y'know, technically a federal to ship booze with them...

Most boxes through FedEx can get across country in 4 days or less. I'm sure the IPAs won't die of old age by then.

And if they do? Then that's a poorly made beer.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Oh yeah, that is a good point RE: shipping booze.

Calculating FedEx and UPS still seem expensive af I don't think I got screwed too badly. I mean if I planned it better and I wasn't as spergy I could have shipped it Monday/Tuesday and used ground and it would have been there by Friday, I just don't want it sitting until Tuesday since it's a holiday.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Print out your own labels online. I think $25 is the most expensive box I have sent out, and thats for a 12 bottle shipper. For a 6er is like 15 bucks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mmartinx posted:

Sent my first beer mail

I just shipped 17lbs of beer (3 6-packs of Hopslam) to a friend in Denver from Michigan. FedEx Ground took 4 days and cost $17.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I sent a giant box of beer (6.5 4-packs and 3 bottles, 45 lbs) and FedEx got me for ~$95 or so on the shipping and they made me buy a new box for $20 because my box was not "rated" for 45 lbs of beer. Bastards.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

mmartinx posted:

Oh yeah, that is a good point RE: shipping booze.

Calculating FedEx and UPS still seem expensive af I don't think I got screwed too badly. I mean if I planned it better and I wasn't as spergy I could have shipped it Monday/Tuesday and used ground and it would have been there by Friday, I just don't want it sitting until Tuesday since it's a holiday.

I usually pay on average $14, which is shipping anywhere from 3 - 6 bombers of beer depending on how precise the FedEx guys at the center are; just curious as to what my most expensive transactions have been over the last year, I checked my FedEx account and I'm looking at $35 for a full 12 shipper of bombers from LA to Boston. If you do continue shipping, I'd highly recommend getting a FedEx account since it's a definite save in costs.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Yeah so there's no mystery. The general trend I'm seeing is, shorter distance, lighter package, slower delivery = less money. As far as printing labels at home I don't think it makes any difference at least w/ USPS as I'm getting an identical rate.

I think what I'll do next time is just ship it ground Monday or Tuesday.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Odd Side coming to Illinois.

I DON'T NEED YOU ANYMORE, KRUSTSTER.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Just got my Bourbon Cake and Hazel's Nuts in the mail, yaaaay. Grabbed a sixer of Hopslam when I was out because it was canned eight days ago and I've never seen it that fresh in my life. It's, uh, decent when fresh. I'd be disappointed if The Answer or Triple Crossing released this. It's boozy as poo poo, too. I rated this a 5 two years ago, when it was the first thing I ever checked into on Untappd. Now I'd put it at a 3.25. If anything it's an example of how far craft beer has come in the past three or four years.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Az to FL for 25lb box was 32$ for ground if I remember correctly.

My understanding is weight is the first cost. Size of the package is the 2nd greatest and lastly distance. So if you want to cut cost, weight and size are your only real options on packaging. Right now is prime shipping time as temps are not freezing and not 80+ in most of the country. It would be as if they were sitting on a store shelf ( during an earthquake).

Alternately, if you know someone on the inside that works at Bath and Body Works. Get them to purchase pre-paid shipping labels via the company. They cost $5 a label and can be slapped on the side of any box < 75lbs. ( This may or may not get the person fired, use at your own risk ). RIP the glory days of trading for me :argh:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

danbanana posted:

Odd Side coming to Illinois.

I DON'T NEED YOU ANYMORE, KRUSTSTER.

And Shorts is coming to Illinois. Also, Jester King is doing a huge drop off of product all over Chicago this Saturday. Speaking to a few people it seems to be a really wide distribution and, most likely, not just bottle shops. This is apparently a one off thing and still no word if they will eventually start coming to Chicago on the regular.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

air- posted:

I print my own labels and even a full shipper from Dallas to Bend (most expensive shipment I've sent out) isn't $55! That's insane.

My BIF box via FedEx was ~$55, 12 bottle shipper from CA to NJ Saver

Apache
May 11, 2004

MunchE posted:

My BIF box via FedEx was ~$55, 12 bottle shipper from CA to NJ Saver

I think that I had a box nearly that expensive, but it was a box where I didn't print the label at home and let the UPS store do the pricing on. My last 6 bottle shipper to Arizona was about $30 from FL sent via ground for an 18lb package.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

mmartinx posted:

Yeah so there's no mystery. The general trend I'm seeing is, shorter distance, lighter package, slower delivery = less money. As far as printing labels at home I don't think it makes any difference at least w/ USPS as I'm getting an identical rate.

I think what I'll do next time is just ship it ground Monday or Tuesday.

Also, UPS or Fedex = less money. Package weight isn't really taken into account unless it's super heavy; the rate is mostly based on the size of your box.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Fat Lou posted:

And Shorts is coming to Illinois. Also, Jester King is doing a huge drop off of product all over Chicago this Saturday. Speaking to a few people it seems to be a really wide distribution and, most likely, not just bottle shops. This is apparently a one off thing and still no word if they will eventually start coming to Chicago on the regular.

But Shorts is dumb and gross...

While in Austin this weekend, I snagged a bottle of Noble King to drink while grilling outside because it was loving 70 degrees outside... And I forgot how loving good that beer is. Too bad Chicago assholes will wait in line for it...

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

I usually end up spending about $45-$55 when shipping 12 bottles to the East Coast from CA. Print label at home, (typically) drop off, and ground.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I've been paying like $15-18 shipping for ~12 bottles via FedEx. Denver to anywhere

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

crowler machines are finally becoming more prevalent around here!!

Fieldwork just got one like a month ago and now Altamont is setting theirs up. it's about time!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

funkybottoms posted:

i occasionally mention that i should make a Virginia page for the beergoon wiki, but, well, i guess i need to make one for my drat neighborhood, instead. in addition to my brewery and Isley, which is four blocks away, we will shortly have The Veil three blocks away, then an outpost of Charlottesville-based Three Notch'd five blocks away, and Vasen Brewing, which will be... one block away. and that's in addition* to the meadery, distillery, and two cideries within walking distance.

*this is a funny joke since the neighborhood is called Scott's Addition

I dropped by that meadery the other day, actually, and it was surprisingly delicious. I'm not really much of a mead fan usually but this stuff was awesome, very wine-like but even more alcoholic. Very much looking forward to Blue Bee's new location, too, it's a cool property.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

Fieldwork just got one like a month ago and now Altamont is setting theirs up. it's about time!

Several of the Sacramento breweries like Knee Deep and New Glory have them too. I love them since I don't feel like I have to drink the beer within 24 hours like I do with a glass growler.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

Oh man, Fieldwork makes good stuff, that was my favorite visit when I was in SF. Someone send me crowlers of fieldwork beers please :).

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Lyon posted:

Oh man, Fieldwork makes good stuff, that was my favorite visit when I was in SF. Someone send me crowlers of fieldwork beers please :).

Agreed; I really liked the taproom/warehouse too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Jesus, and I thought PA was draconian.

Bar owner and manager drive from Minnesota into Wisconsin, buy a keg of Spotted Cow, drive it back home and sell it at their bar. A concerned citizen (rival bar owner) calls the cops, bar owner and manager now facing felony charges.

http://www.startribune.com/2-minnesotans-charged-with-transporting-wisconsin-beer-to-minnesota/368384751/

So yeah, if that's a felony in your state, probably shouldn't be dumb enough to do that. Calling the cops on the bar though, you're an asshat and should literally move back in time to East Germany because the Stasi could have used your help.

Also something in the article about it being a problem that Spotted Cow was stronger than 3.2% alcohol but I don't understand that bit.

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

I hit Arizona Wilderness a little while back and I was disappointed to see that while they apparently have a crowler setup, the only thing they're canning with it is their plain old regular IPA which is nothing special. I really wanted to get a can of the grapefruit gose they had on tap because it was amazing, but it wasn't an option, and I wasn't going to trust a glass growler in my checked bag.

Or maybe it's just a conventional canning line that uses 32 oz cans? Is that a thing?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 11, 2016

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Phanatic posted:

Jesus, and I thought PA was draconian.

Bar owner and manager drive from Minnesota into Wisconsin, buy a keg of Spotted Cow, drive it back home and sell it at their bar. A concerned citizen (rival bar owner) calls the cops, bar owner and manager now facing felony charges.

http://www.startribune.com/2-minnesotans-charged-with-transporting-wisconsin-beer-to-minnesota/368384751/

So yeah, if that's a felony in your state, probably shouldn't be dumb enough to do that. Calling the cops on the bar though, you're an asshat and should literally move back in time to East Germany because the Stasi could have used your help.

Also something in the article about it being a problem that Spotted Cow was stronger than 3.2% alcohol but I don't understand that bit.

"The two each face a felony count, accused of bringing in the popular farmhouse ale made by New Glarus. "

Jesus, everything is a "farmhouse" ale now...

This happens all the time with Spotted Cow, both in MN and IL. I can't find the details (gently caress YOU GOOGLE) but there was a bar in Chicago a few years ago that was busted for their "house" beer being Spotted Cow. I don't remember what happened to that place; Probably a fine. But it doesn't surprise me that actual charges were brought, especially in an effort to curb the practice. It's unlikely that they'll serve jail time. Worst case I see is that they get a fine and have a felony on their record. I bet it's more likely that they reduce the charges, but I ain't no lawyer.

E: Also, this...

"Hlavka and Lantos told investigators they wanted to sell microbrews and knew they couldn’t acquire the beer from Minnesota distributors, so decided to make a run to the neighboring state, court documents show."

Umm... How the gently caress did these people ever get a liquor license?

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

coronaball posted:

Several of the Sacramento breweries like Knee Deep and New Glory have them too. I love them since I don't feel like I have to drink the beer within 24 hours like I do with a glass growler.

speaking of Sac and Fieldwork, they recently announced that they are going to open a tasting room there. pretty cool that they are already expanding after being open for like only a year.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

So, this is in Chicago right now at Beer Temple. Which ones of these should I prioritize?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I stopped trading because shipping was loving stupid. Cheapest shipping option on a 12 bottle package was still running me $35-45, sometimes more than the beer itself. And in all my trades, we'd agreed local for local, dollar for dollar which always ended up in me sending a full case after tossing in some extras and inevitably I'd receive exactly 1 bottle of each thing I had named specifically, to the tune of like 3 or 4 12 oz bottles. I also made a huge effort to ship promptly, and often wouldn't get a return package until 6-8 weeks later. I guess part of its my own fault for not explicitly detailing every facet of the trade, part of it is cheap booze where I lived at the time vs cost of living in major cities, but I just got soured on the whole experience.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Fat Lou posted:

So, this is in Chicago right now at Beer Temple. Which ones of these should I prioritize?

The smoked beer is one of the latest releases. I like Biere de Miel and Ambree.

The "regular" beers from JK are Das Wunderkind, Noble King (my personal fave out of these), Le Petit Prince, and Wytchmaker.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Anyone have experience with leaving high abv beer outside in 20 degree weather? I ask because Furious Lobster was kind enough to send me some CA stuff and it just occurred to me that it has been sitting outside for about three hours.

Beer slushie Sucaba and some potentially busted bottles does not sound good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Open them while they're still frozen and drink the liquid for special eisbock-style versions of your favorite beers.