Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Thanks again Mystical. Yeah while the numbers have gone down the complete media blackout on the entire thing make it hard to make a solid argument either way.

I think the takeaway for me is this - Australia runs offshore camps where horrible, horrible things happen to real people and that's not an acceptable thing.

open24hours - Nikolic did mention that the current policy is saving $2.5 billion, allowing them to take on the additional refugees from Syria. I guess hell-camps are cheaper than previous policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hi. I've done a million polls and stopping a fantasy Muslim invasion is one of the most common answers for thinking about an issue for Australia to solve.

Sometimes I feel like the refugee policy will never change, not because of me but because of the people I talk to everyday.

The average Australian is scared and wants to protect their white children from the foreign hordes.

No amount of public conversation from the LNP or ALP will change that. I love where I live but ultimately we are a poo poo country. An ongoing experiment about how far the politics of fear can take us into inhumane practices before we only see madness.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Saving 2.5 B is probably made up since offshore is more expensive than onshore and community processing.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Frankly posted:

open24hours - Nikolic did mention that the current policy is saving $2.5 billion, allowing them to take on the additional refugees from Syria. I guess hell-camps are cheaper than previous policy.

Compared to Labor's camp policy? These things cost billions. You could literally buy everyone a house and save money.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Jason Clare talked today about the latest mess Malcolm Turnbull has made of his third rate #NBN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw9AYLsV6m0

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Anidav posted:

Hi. I've done a million polls and stopping a fantasy Muslim invasion is one of the most common answers for thinking about an issue for Australia to solve.

Sometimes I feel like the refugee policy will never change, not because of me but because of the people I talk to everyday.

The average Australian is scared and wants to protect their white children from the foreign hordes.

No amount of public conversation from the LNP or ALP will change that. I love where I live but ultimately we are a poo poo country. An ongoing experiment about how far the politics of fear can take us into inhumane practices before we only see madness.

The average age 30-40 something contractors I deal with most days at work probably about half of them have come up with some sort of 'this is are country' comment just straight out of nowhere. It boggles the minds of my poor twinned Tasmanian heads.

Cartoon posted:

Further reading:

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/fact-sheets/myths-about-refugees/detailed-mythbuster/

(eg)

Australia doesn't have a visa issuing office in many places that are the source of refugees so in for instance Iraq you can't apply for resettlement at the Australian Embassy/Consulate.

It's lies and disinformation all the way down. Hardly surprising when the ABC mixes up a few facts about child rapes. :ssh: The five year old was only sexually assaulted there was no actual penetration :toot: :suicide:

Thanks Cartoon. It makes sense that people are risking everything to get here by boat when there's literally no other sure option to get here. I'll get reading through their material as well

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Frankly posted:

Thanks again Mystical.

No problem, happy to help :)

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Ok I looked up his wikipedia bio and a few articles and the main words are "entrepeneur" and "innovation". Cool. coOL.

He also apparently believes in water dowsing.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-20/nrn-csiro-ceo-water-divining-dowsing/5822472

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Source your quotes please.

𝖇𝖔𝖗𝖚𝖙𝖔

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Frankly posted:

TLDR: I'm really uneducated on the issues surrounding asylum seeker policy, help me be more informed on the issue

As well as the other resources people have sent you, also contact the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre - http://www.asrc.org.au

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The living dead leader of the Federal National Party Warren Truss will be announcing his retirement at 12:30pm today, and looks like Barnaby is going to be Deputy PM :stare:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:godwin:

Don't worry he's only deputy leader (Chancellor) there is no way Malformed Turdball (Hindenberg) will ever let him have real power.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Requiescat in pace, corpse lord.

I for one welcome our new deputy PM, The Hon. Barnaby Joyce MP, terrible terrifier of terriers and Member for New England.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

Yeah it's not.

Firstly, I'm not sold that abolishing the CGT discount holus bolus is workable. Remember, the discount was brought in to replace indexation, which accounted for a measure of inflation eating into your gain if you held the asset for a long period of time. Applying the discount is a lot easier to work out, but in most cases I've seen indexation actually saved more tax.

Philosophically I can't stand income from capital gains being taxed concessionally as compared to income from other sources (eg labour). However, I could wear a CGT discount of say 20% for individuals in lieu of indexation.

Secondly, making any substantial reduction in the CGT discount in one go would kill housing markets overnight. This is reason enough for many of us itt to do it, but crashing overnight would be bad for the economy. That's why I would propose a stepped reduction over 5-10 years to the level you want to achieve. The downside is that you don't bring in that big pile of tax money next year, but on the flip side you're less likely to have a housing industry/wider economy crash.

I had similar thoughts but the idea of capital gains taxed lower than productive activity is crazy. The idea of a gradient approach to implementing a change is sound but after the experience of the carbon tax and mining tax it seems any progressive policy will be condemned, reversed and the rent seekers double down - no matter how sound or well planned.

So if the choice then becomes scrap CGT concessions and likely crash the housing market or make a sensible gradual change that will be thrown out and all your advances lost - which is it to be? It's also become the too big to fail problem. Personally I'd forgive a progressive government for pulling the trigger but I doubt the majority of Australians would as they're invested in it. It would have to be well argued and won as part of an election campaign to fly.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

You Am I posted:

As well as the other resources people have sent you, also contact the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre - http://www.asrc.org.au

Thanks! I've been looking for a way to get active in the area as well time permitting, looks like they'll be able to direct me a bit too.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Frankly posted:

- Labor policy led to 51,000 new arrivals, 1,200 deaths at sea

- Australia is now the World's Most Generous Nation for Resettling 'Genuine' Refugees (by head of population and by national wealth) and 2018/19 will be our biggest intake in 30 years

First point is a truthy lie. It's been both Labor and LNP policy to punish airlines for allowing people to fly to Australia to claim asylum, so the only way a lot of people can come is either by scamming a tourist visa and flying, or by boat. Over the last 20 or so years, 80-95% of irregular maritime arrivals have been found to be genuine refugees (that's even after recent Governments have offered applicants heavy incentives to withdraw their claims). The % of airport arrivals claiming asylum found to be genuine refugees has been less than 50%.

The second is an outright lie. Germany has 4 times our population, and has taken 800,000. We sure as gently caress haven't taken 200,000 refugees

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Halo14 posted:

Jason Clare talked today about the latest mess Malcolm Turnbull has made of his third rate #NBN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw9AYLsV6m0

here is an art piece I whipped up after listening to that

:bang: :emo: :suicide:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Donated 15 dollars each to the greens and ALP Brisbane Lord mayor campaign. I want to see Quirk eat poo poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Reuters distances itself from Greg Hunt 'best minister' award: 'It wasn't our idea'
Confusion surrounds the process by which Australia’s environment minister was crowned the world’s No 1, with the news agency denying it designed the scheme

Confusion surrounds the selection process for the “best minister in the world” award bestowed upon Greg Hunt at the World Government Summit in Dubai for his efforts to reduce carbon emissions.

According to the summit’s website in the United Arab Emirates, the “best minister in the world” award was “thoroughly and independently managed by Thomson Reuters where the search for the nominees is conducted according to the established criteria”.

According to a radio interview by the “humbled” Hunt, the award was also initiated by Reuters.

“Reuters news agency said to the UAE government that they’d like to create the award and present it at the World Government Summit,” the federal environment minister said.

“They then commissioned the World Bank, the OECD, Ernst & Young and an international strategic firm called Strategy and Co to draw up a list of 100 – they then winnowed it down to 10. They used a series of criteria, they had a voting program – and we didn’t know about it, and I got a call just over a week ago.”

But Thomson Reuters said it was “not correct” to say that the company initiated the award or were responsible for designing the selection process.

“Thomson Reuters was solely responsible for assisting in the administration of the award, to a set of criteria approved by the World Government Summit organisers,” said Tarek Fleihan, head of corporate communications for the financial information company in the Middle East, Africa and Russia.

Thomson Reuters promised a full clarifying statement, but has not yet issued one. Reuters news said it had no involvement in the process.

Accepting the award at the summit, Hunt said that “on a personal level I am genuinely humbled to receive this award. I am, however, deeply proud that this inaugural award is being presented to an environment minister.”

In an interview with Fairfax Media, Hunt described his win as “really an award for Australia” and reassured readers that his wife had insisted he “still had to put the bins out”.

The website says there were nominations from 80 countries, which were assessed based on four criteria:

Innovation and leadership: the solution that was introduced by the candidate will have revolutionised the utilisation of government services by its citizens. This work of true innovation will have increased productivity, reduced costs and improve the citizen’s opinion of the government.
Quality and impact: the solution should address the needs of the citizens and must demonstrate a significant social impact. Significant social impact includes but is not limited to easily accessible government services for all citizens, efficiency in execution, human development impact, job creation, etc.
Replication: the solution must have the quality of being easily replicated in multiple geographies. The solution should demonstrate propensity for impact beyond the local level, either nationally, regionally or globally.
Reputation: the candidate must be highly credible amongst his peers and the general public. The candidate must have a proven record amongst his peers of developing innovative solutions that have positively impacted the citizens.

“The aim of this award is to recognise innovation in global government work and highlight ministerial initiatives that have resulted in positive changes in their communities,” the UAE minister of cabinet affairs, Mohammed Al Gergawi, told the summit as he gave Hunt the award.

“Our world today needs ministers to serve as role models of thought and action, which bring about progress and welfare and improve general societal wellbeing.”

Official statistics released in December revealed Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions increased in the year to the end of June 2015 by 0.8% and by 1.3% when land use and deforestation were taken into account.

On Wednesday the Greens deputy leader, Scott Ludlam, attacked Hunt’s “brazen audacity” over accepting the “best minister in the world” award.

In a satirical address to the nation, Ludlam said while the award “might sound like something his mum made up ... on behalf of the Australian Greens I am asking you to join me in calling on Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to declare February the 10th a public holiday to mark this unique occasion”.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/11/reuters-distances-itself-from-greg-hunt-best-minister-award-it-wasnt-our-idea

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Time for a cartoon from our One True Dog: First Dog.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cartoon posted:

:godwin:

Don't worry he's only deputy leader (Chancellor) there is no way Malformed Turdball (Hindenberg) will ever let him have real power.

I'm so impressed by the effort people put into your avatars.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Lowtax should put me on commission.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Cartoon posted:

Lowtax should put me on commission.

He should commission an assassin to dome you hahahahahah

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/11/csiro-chief-confirms-climate-modelling-and-monitoring-jobs-to-be-halved

Bold it all, jesus loving christ.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Turns out PhD doesn't make you smart.

Makes you think

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Recoome posted:

Turns out PhD doesn't make you smart.

Makes you think

Why are you assuming he's not smart. He's obviously quite smart. This is a calculated, politically-driven move. Why would you assume it's got anything to do with stupidity?

He knows what he's doing. It's exactly what he was hired into the job to do.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Nam Taf posted:

Why are you assuming he's not smart. He's obviously quite smart. This is a calculated, politically-driven move. Why would you assume it's got anything to do with stupidity?

He knows what he's doing. It's exactly what he was hired into the job to do.

If the guy was smart he probably shouldn't have made aseveral inflammatory comments and be forced to back down from them. Well, for one the comment about feeling like lobbying against big oil or whatever was pretty dumb, as he's not lobbying against a self-interested corporation.

Additionally, how can you quantify the efficacy of potential interventions if you are cutting away measuring and modelling? It's effectively saying "We are going to put all our resources in implenting Y, which is designed to reduce X while not bothering to refine our measuring ability of X nor model the probable future state of X".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

If the guy was smart he probably shouldn't have made aseveral inflammatory comments and be forced to back down from them. Well, for one the comment about feeling like lobbying against big oil or whatever was pretty dumb, as he's not lobbying against a self-interested corporation.

Additionally, how can you quantify the efficacy of potential interventions if you are cutting away measuring and modelling? It's effectively saying "We are going to put all our resources in implenting Y, which is designed to reduce X while not bothering to refine our measuring ability of X nor model the probable future state of X".

This is exactly how the private sector runs government services that get privatised.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Recoome posted:

Regarding your first paragraph, he personally doesn't give a gently caress, he's just been forced to retract it by probably HR or something.

Regarding the second point, you're still assuming his priorities align with yours / most peoples' in wanting to achieve a research outcome. His are not. They are aligned with changing the discourse to suit a political agenda.

When people call bigwigs 'stupid' because they do something that doesn't align with what 'seems right', they need to step back and reflect on the fact that the most likely outcome is that their desires do not align with others'.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

I just ran into Blair Cottrell and the UPF in Toowoomba (where I live, It's just as much fun as you imagine) had a chat with them, took their photo with my big medium format camera and shot a video for them(lol). Unsurprisingly they're just as big of fuckwits as you would imagine, they stank of cheap cologne and where hyper paranoid, they asked for my name and phone number, whether I ran a Facebook page or was involved with the local catholic church (they put out a Fatwa on a local that works for the catholic social justice commission) before I could take their picture. I failed to mention that I'm with the local Greens. They were also talking about their infighting with Burgess and Erickson, Blair claimed he was the only great leader they had and that he would only step down when they found someone better than him. loving seriously.

It was both super gross and super hilarious, their stupid giant flags kept falling over and it took my new m8 Blair a bunch of takes just to get the words to come out of his dumb Nazi mouth. I need a shower.

https://www.facebook.com/unitedpatriotsfront/videos/vb.106736366327491/236522246682235/?type=2&theater

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Haught posted:

I just ran into Blair Cottrell and the UPF in Toowoomba (where I live, It's just as much fun as you imagine) had a chat with them, took their photo with my big medium format camera and shot a video for them(lol). Unsurprisingly they're just as big of fuckwits as you would imagine, they stank of cheap cologne and where hyper paranoid, they asked for my name and phone number, whether I ran a Facebook page or was involved with the local catholic church (they put out a Fatwa on a local that works for the catholic social justice commission) before I could take their picture. I failed to mention that I'm with the local Greens. They were also talking about their infighting with Burgess and Erickson, Blair claimed he was the only great leader they had and that he would only step down when they found someone better than him. loving seriously.

It was both super gross and super hilarious, their stupid giant flags kept falling over and it took my new m8 Blair a bunch of takes just to get the words to come out of his dumb Nazi mouth. I need a shower.

https://www.facebook.com/unitedpatriotsfront/videos/vb.106736366327491/236522246682235/?type=2&theater

I'm the guy with his foot on the flag stand.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The Shovel killing it

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2016/02/11/turnbull-offers-to-explain-to-women-what-mansplaining-actually-means/

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
gently caress that's risky poo poo.

(Thread title for March found?)

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Haught posted:

I'm not going to go to Queensland because gently caress that place but you're doing good things and I'm glad you were there. Shine on you crazy bastard.

edit: forgot to Pavel

Birb Katter fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 11, 2016

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Donated 15 dollars each to the greens and ALP Brisbane Lord mayor campaign. I want to see Quirk eat poo poo.

He's already got the grin for it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

gross dude

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Acting Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SKY COQ posted:

Acting Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce.

After Prime Minister Tony Abbott nothing can hurt me any more.

• Locked thread