Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Rey's Speeder is alright.

Got the Catburgler and GPS nightmare warrior in blind bags today, along with the Horse from the S7 Mixels. The combined form of them looks really close to Ludwig from Bloodborne, I might have to work on grabbing a few and jam something together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I really love Kylos shuttle, so much cooler than the Sith Infiltrator imo, but it does bum me out that it's wings don't move. Also they're spaceships, they don't need wings at all, so it doesn't matter.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?

The Rage posted:

I really love Kylos shuttle, so much cooler than the Sith Infiltrator imo, but it does bum me out that it's wings don't move. Also they're spaceships, they don't need wings at all, so it doesn't matter.

I picked up one without minifigs for $40 shipped (yeah, killer deal). $10 later (and that was ebay prices) for a few of the large Technic joints/hinges (like in the legs of the AT-AT and a few extra bricks and mine fold out...it's a super-easy mod.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

The Rage posted:

Also they're spaceships, they don't need wings at all, so it doesn't matter.

As far as I know in the Star Wars universe they're used to stabilize repulsors... or something.

At the end of the day though it's just the rule of cool. I made a miniature MOC of it so I could have it cheaper and in the right color, and with folding wings.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The biggest problem is that the ship is black with red lights and the model is grey and poorly resembles the source.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lizard Combatant posted:

The biggest problem is that the ship is black with red lights and the model is grey and poorly resembles the source.

Eh, I'm willing to give that a pass. Lots of those pieces probably weren't available in black and an all black model with tiny red lights wouldn't look as good. I mean the existing model looks boring as poo poo, but black would be worse.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Eh, I'm willing to give that a pass. Lots of those pieces probably weren't available in black and an all black model with tiny red lights wouldn't look as good. I mean the existing model looks boring as poo poo, but black would be worse.

What's his face, jang (?) did a black version with proper wings and it looks rad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zodack posted:

As far as I know in the Star Wars universe they're used to stabilize repulsors... or something.

At the end of the day though it's just the rule of cool. I made a miniature MOC of it so I could have it cheaper and in the right color, and with folding wings.

Most of the fighters fly in the atmosphere too so it would make sense that they have wings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wings that have no airfoil so they'd start tumbling and plummet straight into the ground. Star Wars fighters are basically rockets with random poo poo poking out the side.. and anyone who's played Kerbal Space Program knows you don't get far doing that.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

xzzy posted:

Wings that have no airfoil so they'd start tumbling and plummet straight into the ground. Star Wars fighters are basically rockets with random poo poo poking out the side.. and anyone who's played Kerbal Space Program knows you don't get far doing that.

I thought the rumor spreading around the internet a few years ago was planes fly because of speed and angle of attack and the whole shape of the wing was more or less bullshit. . . sure it helps to have a good wing shape, but it's not 100% necessary to achieve flight if you have a big enough engine. Besides, it's not like you have seen a real X-Wing up close to be able to tell me the wing shape is wrong. :smug:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
They are...stabilizers?

Actually to think about it, the X-Wing uses its eponymous wings to create mounting points for weapons, while the TIE uses its wings as either solar panels or heat dissipators. Either one seems fine to me, though the TIE looks much more like a spaceship with its spherical cabin.

Both of them are designed to resemble biplanes, though :ssh:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
If you really want to crush your childhood dreams, dog fighting is an extinct art and has been for decades. Even in the days Top Gun, the best movie ever made, missiles were capable of shooting targets up to 100 miles away even if the target was immediately behind you, hell the minimum missile range at the time was at least a mile which is still kinda close to beyond visual range (er, at least on land, I dunno about in the sky or outer space). Dog fighting, in any form, be it sci fi or modern day is an unrealistic joke, but drat it I won't let it spoil a good movie for me. The fact that a ship as small as Luke's X-wing has a gravity generator and a hyper drive doesn't bother me one bit either. :tizzy:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I watched Top Gun while assembling my Creator Blue Power Jet :3:

I like to swoosh it around while humming Danger Zone. Also Poe and the other Resistance pilot from his set get to be Maverick and Goose.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have they ever given a reason for why the wings fold in on an X-wing. I've always been fine with "it looks kewl" but there is no way they haven't explored that in detail in the SW universe.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

NESguerilla posted:

Have they ever given a reason for why the wings fold in on an X-wing. I've always been fine with "it looks kewl" but there is no way they haven't explored that in detail in the SW universe.

All I can think of is they fold open for better shot spread and fold closed in order to land :shrug:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

NESguerilla posted:

Heat dissipation and atmospheric flight. They only spread during combat because they need increased surface area to cool the weapons and engines, while the engines alone can be cooled indefinitely in the closed position.

Also they're not wings, they're S Foils.

:reject:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well then they should have called it the X-s foil :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Crotch Fruit posted:

If you really want to crush your childhood dreams, dog fighting is an extinct art and has been for decades. Even in the days Top Gun, the best movie ever made, missiles were capable of shooting targets up to 100 miles away even if the target was immediately behind you, hell the minimum missile range at the time was at least a mile which is still kinda close to beyond visual range (er, at least on land, I dunno about in the sky or outer space). Dog fighting, in any form, be it sci fi or modern day is an unrealistic joke, but drat it I won't let it spoil a good movie for me. The fact that a ship as small as Luke's X-wing has a gravity generator and a hyper drive doesn't bother me one bit either. :tizzy:

It's funny you mention Top Gun, because that program was started specifically to teach Vietnam-era pilots how to dogfight, since doctrine after Korea had declared dogfighting dead and never bothered to teach it to incoming pilots. :laugh:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Plastik posted:

Heat dissipation

Doesn't work that way in space :argh:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I was weak today :negative:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's funny you mention Top Gun, because that program was started specifically to teach Vietnam-era pilots how to dogfight, since doctrine after Korea had declared dogfighting dead and never bothered to teach it to incoming pilots. :laugh:

This is literally all explained by Tom Skerritt in the movie.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Tanith posted:

The jet at the top is pretty great. Bit like a mini Blue Power Jet I thought.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Neurion posted:

Doesn't work that way in space :argh:

It's a Galaxy Far, Far Away, the laws of physics work completely different, obviously

I'm running an EotE RPG for a group of friends and rifling through the various spaceships of Star Wars in the rulebook always reminds me how classic (and not so classic) and absolutely absurd a lot of the designs are.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Tanith posted:

I cannot push myself into picking up either of those planes, they just both look wonky. Maybe not the main model, but definitely the secondary ones.

The Ship is pretty cool though. And supposedly has Cross play with the Green truck with the Orange copter, as the mini vehicles from each build are the right size to fit on the other. They only list that feature in the instruction booklet apparently, and not on the box.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

McDragon posted:

The jet at the top is pretty great. Bit like a mini Blue Power Jet I thought.

It's more like Fast Flyers, design-wise, they both have swing-wings. Appropriate for the impromptu Top Gun chat.

Anora posted:

I cannot push myself into picking up either of those planes, they just both look wonky. Maybe not the main model, but definitely the secondary ones.

The Ship is pretty cool though. And supposedly has Cross play with the Green truck with the Orange copter, as the mini vehicles from each build are the right size to fit on the other. They only list that feature in the instruction booklet apparently, and not on the box.

As far as wonkiness, I think it's on par with Super Soarers. I'll probably get another one so I can make the other jet. I'll probably pick up another Future Flyers, too. Still waiting for this, though:

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?

Tanith posted:

Still waiting for this, though:

That's great! Has to be the smallest snowcat I've seen in Lego.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Pyroclastic posted:

What sort of scale were you thinking of?

I'd prefer minifig scale, what are my other options?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Zodack posted:

I'm running an EotE RPG for a group of friends

This is always a good laugh. I might have to try to round up my friends again and make some sets/props out of Lego :3: Is there a Trandoshan minifig? 2 of the people in my game were a Wookiee and Trandoshan which was very amusing.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

This is always a good laugh. I might have to try to round up my friends again and make some sets/props out of Lego :3: Is there a Trandoshan minifig? 2 of the people in my game were a Wookiee and Trandoshan which was very amusing.

There's a complement of "Scum and Villiany" figs that came with the UCS SSD, Bossk included. No Zuckuss, though, so you're out a Gand minifig. Also no 4-LOM. Or Boba Fett?

But you get probably the best IG-model assassin droid figure LEGO has made, and afaik that's the only Trandoshan one.

I'm doing mine online (friends in grad school all over the place), so I can't make good use of LEGO unfortunately.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

I watched Top Gun while assembling my Creator Blue Power Jet :3:

I like to swoosh it around while humming Danger Zone. Also Poe and the other Resistance pilot from his set get to be Maverick and Goose.

Man I feel bad for not doing that as well. Even if it turned out I was actually missing a piece so it is slightly off coloured at one specific spot (that I only really know of :v:).
I should dig up some pilots or something from my minifig collection though.

Tanith posted:

I'll probably pick up another Future Flyers, too. Still waiting for this, though:

Ooh, I need that one for my collection for sure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zodack posted:

There's a complement of "Scum and Villiany" figs that came with the UCS SSD, Bossk included. No Zuckuss, though, so you're out a Gand minifig. Also no 4-LOM. Or Boba Fett?

But you get probably the best IG-model assassin droid figure LEGO has made, and afaik that's the only Trandoshan one.

I'm doing mine online (friends in grad school all over the place), so I can't make good use of LEGO unfortunately.

I think Bossk also came with the $80 Slave I from a few years ago.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think Bossk also came with the $80 Slave I from a few years ago.

Looked it up on Brickset and you are correct.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
peep this

quote:

LEGO Assault on Hoth™ Base will Challenge Even the Most Skilled Fan Builders
Experienced builders can recreate the Rebel Force’s Echo Base from Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back in an unbelievably detailed recreation of one of the most iconic scenes in the original Star Wars trilogy. The 2,144-piece building set inspires fans to build their own scouting missions with the Snowspeeder, armed with twin spring-loaded shooters, and get back to base on the speeder bike to help Luke, Han and the other Rebel heroes. The modular design enables fans to customize their Rebel base configuration, including a Wampa cave and Wampa figure. The set features LEGO minifigure versions of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Toryn Farr, Wes Janson, Wedge Antilles, K-3PO, and more. Available May 1 for $249.99.

http://toyfair.vporoom.com/LEGO/news?item=122631

Kakarot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 11, 2016

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Tanith posted:

It's more like Fast Flyers, design-wise, they both have swing-wings. Appropriate for the impromptu Top Gun chat.

As far as wonkiness, I think it's on par with Super Soarers. I'll probably get another one so I can make the other jet. I'll probably pick up another Future Flyers, too. Still waiting for this, though:

Neat, it's like a Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane and a Boeing CH-47 Chinook had a baby! If you get the set build a mini-house to recreate this picture:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Of course they put Wedge in the $250 set :negative:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The scavenger show sounded interesting until it got to the part where he's part Jedi. Pass on that, although the Lego sets look pretty rad.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Bummer on no pictures for the Hoth set. A bit apprehensive it'll be a giant vignette display like the Death Star but it sounds cool from a first pass.

VaultAggie posted:

The scavenger show sounded interesting until it got to the part where he's part Jedi.

Everyone in the new Star Wars is force sensitive, obviously. Finn, Rey, Poe, this kid, Ezra, Kanan, Chopper, that dude from Force Unleashed, and also the protag from Star Wars 1011 or whatever that cancelled video game was.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Here is a cool vid I found to be a good watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZDr-WYqq08

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sweet! Native American Woman acquired! I'm S15 complete! Coolest guy on my block!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish there was a picture of that Hoth set. That's probably gonna be a tough one to pass up for me.