Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Also spending a lot of time rewriting the game engine to try and fix the godawful bugs that have been around forever, which means seeing what works on a per-game-mode basis and figuring out how much of it is worth keeping :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Man, just when I thought riot was going to be kind to me and my fellow marksman friends, this patch happened

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Luna Was Here posted:

Man, just when I thought riot was going to be kind to me and my fellow marksman friends, this patch happened

Double bruiser bot is the new meta

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Libertine posted:

It's unclear to me why they are unable to support many multiple game modes especially with the enormous player base. They barely produce new champions anymore. What is their content team even doing?

Dominion ran into the problem of getting unpopular, which meant support for it got put on the backburner, which made it more unpopular and repeat. It being an entirely different map with different mechanics means they need both separate balance passes for it and also larger QA testing to make sure that playing Quinn on Dominion doesn't suddenly make the game poo poo itself. If Dominion was popular they probably would have but Dominion wasn't popular so it honestly makes more sense to bench it.

They'll keep supporting ARAM because it's simple to support, doesn't require significant balance passes due to the fact it's supposed to be unbalanced and not a serious competitive mode, a lot of people play it and they can trivially slot in gimmick poo poo to keep people invested.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So is 6.3 Xin still at his best with Devourer or is the duel/damage reduction/bonus AD from Warrior now the right choice?

Also am I right in thinking Warlords Bloodlust works well with him thanks to the W update for guaranteed crits?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The only reason Dominion was unpopular is because it was entirely unsupported by the company for years. In fact I can't think of a single conventional update it has received since launch. They never added ranked play to it even though a competitive scene organically developed around it. The guy from DominateDominion is doing an AMA today which gets into those issues better than my anecdotal experience.

The launch of the Dominion is the only reason I ended up trying League originally back in 2011, as at the time I totally hated traditional laning DOTA-style game play. I still think it's a good game mode and the fastest way to quickly bring yourself up to speed on new champion mechanics because of how fast and combat-heavy the game play is. The fact that they are removing it instead of improving it or offering any kind of alternative fast paced game mode is lazy development. Smite has many game modes and they have much less resources than Riot. HOTS has ten maps that rotate in the standard game mode which keeps the matches feeling much fresher and even though Blizzard has a ton of resources I'm pretty sure their dev. team for HOTS is smaller than Riot's. I just don't find any of Riot's excuses on stagnant development to be compelling at all.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Libertine posted:

The only reason Dominion was unpopular is because it was entirely unsupported by the company for years. In fact I can't think of a single conventional update it has received since launch. They never added ranked play to it even though a competitive scene organically developed around it. The guy from DominateDominion is doing an AMA today which gets into those issues better than my anecdotal experience.

The launch of the Dominion is the only reason I ended up trying League originally back in 2011, as at the time I totally hated traditional laning DOTA-style game play. I still think it's a good game mode and the fastest way to quickly bring yourself up to speed on new champion mechanics because of how fast and combat-heavy the game play is. The fact that they are removing it instead of improving it or offering any kind of alternative fast paced game mode is lazy development. Smite has many game modes and they have much less resources than Riot. HOTS has ten maps that rotate in the standard game mode which keeps the matches feeling much fresher and even though Blizzard has a ton of resources I'm pretty sure their dev. team for HOTS is smaller than Riot's. I just don't find any of Riot's excuses on stagnant development to be compelling at all.

Riot is still run by the same manchildren it was 7 years ago even though it's a ridiculously big company now.

Not that it excuses anything but they did mention they were producing another game a while ago. In 2010 they tried to produce a card game similar to what hearthstone is today but it was so insanely bad they've removed every single reference they ever made to it and didn't try again for years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Libertine posted:

The only reason Dominion was unpopular is because it was entirely unsupported by the company for years. In fact I can't think of a single conventional update it has received since launch.

They did a fair few things to it and for a while they were updating champions alongside Dominion and even doing Champion Spotlights that showed their Dominion capabilities as well. It wasn't very popular except at launch. It isn't a case of resources. If they thought they could make money off Dominion you better believe they'd keep it around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double post

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Honestly I'd like to see ascension come back. On its own properly shurima-themed map.

Ascension was some of the most fun I ever had in league and I think it captures the fast-paced feel better than dominion did.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Tyty posted:

Honestly I'd like to see ascension come back. On its own properly shurima-themed map.

Ascension was some of the most fun I ever had in league and I think it captures the fast-paced feel better than dominion did.

Of all of the "custom fun silly" game modes, that's the one that my friends and I enjoyed and played the most. It was definitely successful, fit the "story narrative" as far as this game has one, and was an improvement on the classic formula.

That should have just been the full re-work/re-launch of Dominion. Instead they parked that after it's short run and never re-visited it and never brought any other attention to it or Dominion.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

ImpAtom posted:

They did a fair few things to it and for a while they were updating champions alongside Dominion and even doing Champion Spotlights that showed their Dominion capabilities as well. It wasn't very popular except at launch. It isn't a case of resources. If they thought they could make money off Dominion you better believe they'd keep it around.

It actually developed a competitive tournament scene that got pretty big, but then they refused to turn on ranked until vague targets were met because they wanted to keep it casual, but then revealed they actually had no idea how to do ranked when it was clear there was demand for it.

For 6 months, the draft mode had a bug where there was no dodge timer, so when people didn't like their comp, they just dodged. Despite tons of forum posts etc., it took the guy who ran the weekly tournaments emailing them for them to fix it; apparently they somehow hadn't heard about it despite community outcry.

These things along with the lack of balance updates while it was popular meant that it lost players, and by the time they gave it nominal support they'd already alienated most of the player base and the competitive scene pretty much completely died.

It was a good game mode, and it absolutely filled the niche of fast, team-fight focused games where you could choose a champion that neither ARAM nor SR fill (3s imo doesn't really fit the same bill either).
Riot mismanaged it into the ground, and now I'm sure it's more of a liability with bot farming. It should have, and could have, been successful.

Also, it sounds like from their release that 3s might be on the chopping block as well. It does kind of seem like post S3, except for ARAM, the alternative modes have kind of been petering off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't really think Dominion could be a good game mode, to be honest, at least not in the context of being a secondary game mode in an existing game. Its design constraints are enough that it would have been far better off as its own independant game instead of a secondary game mode with champions, items and gameplay decisions made around it. Something like the DC MOBA except not completely ineptly run.

MOBA alternate modes tend to either be shitfests of balance or relatively simple variations. I admit I don't play Smite so maybe it has amazingly varied different gameplay modes but every one I've played basically boils down to the main mode and then the for-fun alternate modes. Dominion suffered for really needing to be an actual source of serious design pressure rather than the second fiddle. Riot probably could have and should have supported it more but I even with better support I have a hard time believing it would have been a meaningful presence in the game.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
ad malzahar rolls up in his voidwagon and sicks his voidlings on you while blasting rules of nature out of his 8 track player

until you buy the 1300 gold item rip me

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AD Malzahar listens to cassette tapes semi ironically

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Schiavona posted:

I'm pretty sure I actually fist pumped to that when I played it. Best intro to a game ever.

I would agree, but then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REyO1EOOG8Y

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Dominion was a good mode that didn't get any support at the start or an overhaul later on once it had been neglected.

If this game is just going to be summoners rift then it's just lovely dota jr.

It's always been lovely dota jr

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
poo poo's broken, patch sucks

get rid of xin

I really dont know what goes on in minds of the riot balance department half the loving time

henkman fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 11, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The fact they *started* with a higher crit ratio to get to where we are now is kind of mind boggling

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am going to try Kog out again even though this latest balance change on its face is super loving dumb, taking the passive attack speed off of Q to make W the only worthwhile thing to put points in may make a difference

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

I am going to try Kog out again even though this latest balance change on its face is super loving dumb, taking the passive attack speed off of Q to make W the only worthwhile thing to put points in may make a difference

I admire your bravery for taking Kogmaw into this brave new AD Assassin/Xin Zhao world. You who are about to explode onto your enemies we salute you.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

henkman posted:

poo poo's broken, patch sucks

get rid of xin

I really dont know what goes on in minds of the riot balance department half the loving time

Riot can save themselves a lot of headache by asking a simple question every time they add an item: "What happens when Xin Zhao buys it?"

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

Even if it is a buff (it probably will be a pretty good one) Kog is the last ADC I'd want to play into this patch

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kog'Maw is a Beautiful Beast and I Am No Longer Afraid to Die

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
This patch is bullshit. Xin and J4 need to be permanently banned.

Having seen a bunch of people using the new item now nothing has been as horseshit as J4. Flag Q ult and you are absolutely 100% dead. Doesn't matter if you are a 200 armor malphite.

On the other hand karthus is doing fine.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when do we get soloq back because holy moly DQ is a piece of poo poo

also i mean the actual dynamic queue not new champ select so please don't quote and tell me how you like playing your roles you want because that's not what i'm tilted about

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Thread is tilting a bit more than usual folks. I'd say she's at a 38 degree angle. This patch makes for choppy waters

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I seriously don't get Kalista for poo poo.

It is a torture to try to learn her too. I'm used to Ez at the moment and I can't last hit for poo poo on her. Annnnd it feels like I deal no damage in trades, annnd if anyone gets aggressive at me I die because no escapes. Annnd I'm basically useless until I can get a Hurricane/BOTRK

Can someone who plays her tell me how to loving do it? It's driving me up the wall but I refuse to give up.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Voxx posted:

ad malzahar rolls up in his voidwagon and sicks his voidlings on you while blasting rules of nature out of his 8 track player

until you buy the 1300 gold item rip me

Speaking of, does anyone have the original Malzahar/Kassadin/Voidwagon post stored somewhere?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gridlocked posted:

I seriously don't get Kalista for poo poo.

It is a torture to try to learn her too. I'm used to Ez at the moment and I can't last hit for poo poo on her. Annnnd it feels like I deal no damage in trades, annnd if anyone gets aggressive at me I die because no escapes. Annnd I'm basically useless until I can get a Hurricane/BOTRK

Can someone who plays her tell me how to loving do it? It's driving me up the wall but I refuse to give up.

Kalista is an AA based champion who has to trade around her opponents CDs/situations where she can make extended trades. I don't know why you can't CS on her, I guess you should practice CSing.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you dudes build new Xin? Haven't tried it yet but i was thinking the stacking AA keystone whose name i forgot with devourer and rageblade into tank? IE if you are super far ahead for ultimate rudeness?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Put spears in mans, pull spears out of mans. Kalista.

(Also Xin.)

(And J4.)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

The Mash posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have the original Malzahar/Kassadin/Voidwagon post stored somewhere?

quote:

I can see it now DADDYYY I'M GOING TO THE FOOTBALL GAME! NO Syndra I told you I don't
want you seeing that Malzahar boy anymore he's a bad influence! and she starts crying and
all and tries to run out the door so Kassadin riftwalks down the stairs and silences her
cell phone and just then Malzahar rolls up in his sweet voidwagon HEY BABY LET'S GO and that
night he nether grasps her null zone after the game at the overlook parking lot

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So is the game unplayable or the thread is just complaining again for no reason

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
My experience thus far: game is playable if you don't play anyone squishy

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So nothing changed

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm gonna miss Dominion, aaaaaaaaaaa

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Xin really deserved and needed his buff.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Azzents posted:

Xin really deserved and needed his buff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FIPGHL7ZZI

All the excuse anybody needs to buff xin zhao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
sion seems cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owWjp4JWDBc&feature=youtu.be

• Locked thread