Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
What do you propose as a solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm sort of a fan of free market. I'm not entirely against subsidized housing, although in practice it never seems to help the people it's intended to help.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
With any subsidies, that's because the rich can pay people to game the system and then exploit bureaucratic economy of scale to take more than their fair share from public coffers. Most of the great fortunes in America have been made because of such bureaucratic exploitation. Neo-liberal policymakers "trust" organizations to be ethical in their distribution of these subsidies, but instead, the orgs are siphoning off as much as possible into private fortunes, ala for-profit colleges, textbooks, etc.

This is why some libertarians, like Charles Murray, and a lot of other smart and good people, support UBI... Because then the "subsidies" go into everyone's pockets, opening up a real free market instead of bubbling various parts of the economy with earmarked dollars.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 11, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've been sleeping like garbage for the last couple weeks, and reckon it's time for a new mattress (probably been only about six years, but I'm a heavy bastard). Is there such a thing as recommended brand or make of mattress nowadays or is it still very much a trial and guesswork thing? (I've always thought going out to 'test' mattresses to be a bit of a weird concept, since I would think you'd have to lay on them for several hours and try to sleep for it to be in any way accurate...)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Mocking Bird posted:

What do you propose as a solution?

Rent control is a great policy if the goal is to exclusively help existing tenants while giving the middle finger to anyone new.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

Rent control is a great policy if the goal is to exclusively help existing tenants while giving the middle finger to anyone new.
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

There's no good solution, but requiring a certain percentage of new development rental properties to be used for low-income housing, and requiring increased notice for rent increases above a certain percentage is about the best we can do.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ciaphas posted:

I've been sleeping like garbage for the last couple weeks, and reckon it's time for a new mattress (probably been only about six years, but I'm a heavy bastard). Is there such a thing as recommended brand or make of mattress nowadays or is it still very much a trial and guesswork thing? (I've always thought going out to 'test' mattresses to be a bit of a weird concept, since I would think you'd have to lay on them for several hours and try to sleep for it to be in any way accurate...)

Quoting myself to more specifically ask if anyone has any experience with Sleep Number beds, or air beds in general if Sleep Number specifically is overpriced. Recommendations, positive or negative? There's a store in my area I want to drive to tonight if I can, they're having a sale on their basic air mattress ($800->$600) this weekend.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 11, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm looking at humidifiers, particularly Sweethome's pick of the Honeywell HCM-350. It's rated for 500-800 square feet, but my bedroom is about 150 square feet (I think my whole apartment is about 1000). Would that humidifier be overkill, or will it actually affect the humidity outside the room? Are there apartment sized humidifiers that I could get that would actually do the whole apartment?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deeters posted:

I'm looking at humidifiers, particularly Sweethome's pick of the Honeywell HCM-350. It's rated for 500-800 square feet, but my bedroom is about 150 square feet (I think my whole apartment is about 1000). Would that humidifier be overkill, or will it actually affect the humidity outside the room? Are there apartment sized humidifiers that I could get that would actually do the whole apartment?

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/images/pdf/honeywell-hcm-350-humidifier-manual.pdf

run it on low?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Uuuuuggggghhhhhhhh why am I competing with other people for this condo and why am I letting it stress me out??????????????

Oh because it's in a good neighborhood and it's not lovely and it has a garage and three bedrooms and I can actually afford it and it's the only one on earth like that apparently fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

In other questions, has anyone ever had experience with these "smartframe" things that are supposed to be a bedframe/boxspring all in one? I'm going to be needing a bed it looks like as part of this move and I'm not sure I'm ready for spending another few thousand dollars on a bed again at this particular juncture.

Also also, memory foam mattresses y/n?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My IKEA latex mattress is awesome. Bit softer than memory foam but pretty similar otherwise

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Uuuuuggggghhhhhhhh why am I competing with other people for this condo and why am I letting it stress me out??????????????

Oh because it's in a good neighborhood and it's not lovely and it has a garage and three bedrooms and I can actually afford it and it's the only one on earth like that apparently fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
It always feels this way. But you always get through it and then later it doesn't seem so bad. The first time I felt like I was sweeping up every nickel I had, and then Escrow would call and be like "oops, we need another $1k" and I'd find it somewhere, and I thought... in a few years, my second house won't be like this, and I was wrong, it was like that the second time too. I think, to a point, the industry thrives on that to make themselves as an industry "feel" necessary to you. If it was easy, you'd DIY.

As for the box springs, I don't know of what you speak. My lifetime knowledge of items that claim to be transforming a whole product line, i.e. "in a few years nobody will use box springs anymore, why would you when you have this errector set that can make a box spring?!", they never work quite like they say they will, and I always wish I'd bought the real thing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

photomikey posted:

It always feels this way. But you always get through it and then later it doesn't seem so bad. The first time I felt like I was sweeping up every nickel I had, and then Escrow would call and be like "oops, we need another $1k" and I'd find it somewhere, and I thought... in a few years, my second house won't be like this, and I was wrong, it was like that the second time too. I think, to a point, the industry thrives on that to make themselves as an industry "feel" necessary to you. If it was easy, you'd DIY.

As for the box springs, I don't know of what you speak. My lifetime knowledge of items that claim to be transforming a whole product line, i.e. "in a few years nobody will use box springs anymore, why would you when you have this errector set that can make a box spring?!", they never work quite like they say they will, and I always wish I'd bought the real thing.

gently caress it'd be easier if I was buying. I've been a homeowner for so long that going back into the rental game like I am is what has me stressed the gently caress out. Like, I am used to a certain standard of living, and I know that I'm lowering that a bit, but drat I don't want to go too far down but the market right now is like its made for rich folks only. I'm already going to be paying more for rent on less house than I owned, and the idea of paying rent every month to some property management company is still really irking to me. And the idea that I have to prove my worthiness just to rent a place whereas I've been used over the past decade to telling people to gently caress off from my land is just a really crazy psychological thing to deal with.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Anyway the thing I'm talking about that you're supposed to just lay a memory foam mattress down on top of looks like this:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't know why that is called a 'smartframe', it's just a simple slatted bedframe, which is what people have used for ages. I have always had a slatted frame because they are much easier to move than a boxspring. They are fine, and they have a bonus of providing more under-bed storage than a boxspring gives you.

Just so you know, you can buy slatted bedframes in a bunch of different styles for a couple hundred bucks online through places like Overstock, so you don't have to break the bank to get a reasonable bed. Nothing wrong with simple frames though, unless you want something that looks more interesting.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
It's also IKEAs standard bed

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

gently caress dealing with mice. I've caught two the past few days, and just saw a third crossing the floor. I live in a 3rd-floor apartment, the entire building pretty much has to be run over by them.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Yeah. The slats are legit, for memory foam. If I recall, they should be less than 4" apart. Your bed will be *very* near the floor. I actually have a boxspring with a piece of plywood on it, so the bed wouldn't be so close to the ground.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

And the idea that I have to prove my worthiness just to rent a place whereas I've been used over the past decade to telling people to gently caress off from my land is just a really crazy psychological thing to deal with.
Hows the inventory where you are? They are probably more desperate for renters than they let on. If they start demanding poo poo you don't feel like you should have to provide, walk. They will chase after you. (If the inventory is high.)

photomikey fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 18, 2016

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Inventory is practically nonexistent in the "2-3 bedrooms, with a garage, for an affordable price" category.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

nielsm posted:

gently caress dealing with mice. I've caught two the past few days, and just saw a third crossing the floor. I live in a 3rd-floor apartment, the entire building pretty much has to be run over by them.

Snap traps baited with jam have always been my jam :getin:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Well, looks like I'm getting the place. 3 beds, 2.5 baths, 2 car garage, in a nice neighborhood zoned for one of the better high schools in case I can't get my boy into the good Catholic school we're shooting for. I need to get utilities transferred so I can pick up the keys Wednesday.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

nielsm posted:

Mice are the worst. If you haven't already, move any food in cardboard to jars or Tupperware, they can't get into those (as easily as your neighbor's food). Caulking holes around pipes might help, if you can find all of them.

Glue traps work, but they're terrible torture chambers. Snap traps kind of work.

Lately I've been relying on my dog and cat to catch mice. They're the only mouse solution that has really worked for me.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

Mice are not pleasant, but glue traps are incredibly cruel. Please don't glue trap.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

vonnegutt posted:

Lately I've been relying on my dog and cat to catch mice. They're the only mouse solution that has really worked for me.
Some areas catch, fix, and relocate feral cats and you can "adpot" one to let it out at your house. You basically never see them again and also never have a mouse again. Domesticated cats are not that into mice, but one of the rentals has a couple of strays living nearby, and we NEVER have mouse problems there.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yet at my place we've got at least 2 or 3 strays/outdoor cats, that live at my immediate neighbors... But we still have a few mice. Caught 3 so far. Thinking about growing catnip around my house...

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I don't think catnip is a performance enhancing drug for cats.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Moved yesterday. I didn't know I had so much stuff until I had to haul it up stairs to get to my front door. And then more stairs to get to the bedrooms.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Moved yesterday. I didn't know I had so much stuff until I had to haul it up stairs to get to my front door. And then more stairs to get to the bedrooms.

Hey, at least you're protected ;)

My towels finally arrived, over a month after I ordered them because Pottery Barn didn't have the navy ones in stock and I had no apparent option to change my order.

Oh man, what a morning changer. They're almost criminally soft, and make me want to spend more time drying off. When I use the hand towel to wipe the shaving excess off my face, it's like a dream.

Thanks for turning me onto thesweethome, thread!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Spring's coming, and in my new apartment I have a big balcony that gets full/partial South-facing sun all day so I want to grow an herb garden. Anyone have a recommended site for figuring out when and what to plant?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Chard posted:

Spring's coming, and in my new apartment I have a big balcony that gets full/partial South-facing sun all day so I want to grow an herb garden. Anyone have a recommended site for figuring out when and what to plant?

I've seen Square Foot Gardening produce some good results, and it has a bunch of neat little ideas, but it lacks these here planting guides

You may be able to contact your local waste management department for free compost.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
buy 2 gallon buckets, drill holes in them, plant herbs you want (basil, mint, oregano?).

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Stinky_Pete posted:

Hey, at least you're protected ;)

My towels finally arrived, over a month after I ordered them because Pottery Barn didn't have the navy ones in stock and I had no apparent option to change my order.

Oh man, what a morning changer. They're almost criminally soft, and make me want to spend more time drying off. When I use the hand towel to wipe the shaving excess off my face, it's like a dream.

Thanks for turning me onto thesweethome, thread!

Always buy their runner up product - they do get paid for product placement and Amazon referrals, so their runner up is often much cheaper and just as nice :)

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Chard posted:

Check out the veggie and herb gardening thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Mocking Bird posted:

Always buy their runner up product - they do get paid for product placement and Amazon referrals, so their runner up is often much cheaper and just as nice :)

That's why I like Consumer Reports better, no ads or referrals so it's not quite so biased but it doesn't cover little stuff like towels.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Chard posted:

Definitely check out the gardening thread, it's great. Herbs are about the easiest thing to grow ever though, so don't worry too much about when or how.

As for what, I agree with this video entirely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbYbI-uGEyg

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for the ideas. Gonna cultivate the hell out of living things and then eat them :chord:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

That's why I like Consumer Reports better, no ads or referrals so it's not quite so biased but it doesn't cover little stuff like towels.

Having bought the same towels: I am very happy with them at that price point.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
We're on the lookout for a couch that is just big enough for my husband to lie down on comfortably, but also small enough that it can fit through tight doorways etc and not eat up half our living room. That or it comes disassembled so we can get it in that way.

Naturally, by now I have a mile long list of possible options on Wayfair.com, but looking around for reviews re their delivery and how easy it is to return stuff to them has me concerned. We live in an apartment building in Berkeley, getting things in and out is already going to be a massive pain, AND we're on a budget, the last thing we need is to have any extra hassle with returning stuff, or with our items coming in damaged. Does anyone have any recent experience with getting large furniture delivered to them from Wayfair? Should we just choose one of the couches at IKEA and have that delivered instead?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

babydonthurtme posted:

Naturally, by now I have a mile long list of possible options on Wayfair.com, but looking around for reviews re their delivery and how easy it is to return stuff to them has me concerned. We live in an apartment building in Berkeley, getting things in and out is already going to be a massive pain, AND we're on a budget, the last thing we need is to have any extra hassle with returning stuff, or with our items coming in damaged. Does anyone have any recent experience with getting large furniture delivered to them from Wayfair? Should we just choose one of the couches at IKEA and have that delivered instead?

When I got my (heavy wood) bureau through Wayfair, they just left the box leaning up against my back steps, it wasn't brought inside or to the apartment door. YMMV but I would be hesitant to order from them if I were back in NYC at my fifth floor walkup. The box was a little banged up, and an unobtrusive corner of my bureau is a bit dented but I didn't want to deal with returns.

I did, however, get my couch from IKEA and it is amazing and comfortable and was delivered in a more reliable manner. The Tidafors is not their most stylish couch but sweet mother of god it is comfortable and doesn't look bad (my mom thought I got it a Pottery Barn).

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

babydonthurtme posted:

We're on the lookout for a couch that is just big enough for my husband to lie down on comfortably, but also small enough that it can fit through tight doorways etc and not eat up half our living room. That or it comes disassembled so we can get it in that way.

Simplicity Sofas has your back. They're a little on the expensive side, but in the "good solid couch" kind of way, not the "designer furniture" way, and they're really easy to move and put together. A child could do it (and they have some really cute videos of kids doing exactly that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was going to recomend the Karlstad, but turns out it's been discontinued! Now I have to turn to 3rd parties for new couch covers!