Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

http://imgur.com/gallery/xZKjWiV

quote:

srsfaceI8C 20 points : 2 replies : 4 hours ago reply

As someone with a low sex drive, nah. I'd much rather have a thoughtful tangible gift than blowjibbers.

blowjibbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A watch that gives blowjobs seems like a good middle ground.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Using that word guarantees a dry night.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Birb Katter posted:

I don't have any friends (so by extension don't have crazy friends) but I would love to hit the trigger people with 'I was shot twice and the word trigger sets off my ptsd so please stop using the phrase'.

It's magical how things like 'heads up, this book is going to go into a graphic description of rape so be forewarned' and 'Look out, there're literally pictures of mangled animals below this line' are now just more words those drat kids use like 'hella' and 'bae'.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I prefer the term "blobjobbers"

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
It IS kind of funny how Imgur neckbeard types have such a strong emotional reaction when someone asks for forewarning for certain content. I wish we had a more concise way of describing that phenomenon.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kiebland posted:

It IS kind of funny how Imgur neckbeard types have such a strong emotional reaction when someone asks for forewarning for certain content. I wish we had a more concise way of describing that phenomenon.

Manbabyitis.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The problem is that trigger warnings and ptsd have become a fad and are overused as hell. People use trigger for stuff that makes them vaguely uncomfortable and it makes using it legitimately get seen in the same light.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Kiebland posted:

The same goobers would probably flip their poo poo if you posted spoilers for the latest Marvel movie without a heads up. You'd think they could put two and two together but that might require basic human empathy.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Trigger warning: picture of something that vaguely resembles a spider

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

The problem is that trigger warnings and ptsd have become a fad and are overused as hell. People use trigger for stuff that makes them vaguely uncomfortable and it makes using it legitimately get seen in the same light.

I'm not directing this at you, but I'd like to take this opportunity to :eng101: at people again. 'Trigger', as a psychological term, refers to any situation or scenario that creates a negative effect in a patient. It's used for OCD, BPD, anorexia, and other disorders where a lot of the symptoms are dependent on fluctuations in a patients environment and cause emotional distress. Exposure therapy is a popular way to deal with situations that trigger unwanted behavior or feelings, but they have to be conducted in clinical settings by a professional, not by a 15 year-old who wants to defend the fact they that threatened to rape someone in an internet fight. I think a big issue for people with disorders that use that term freely in their therapy is that a) people who misuse it for their own gain and b) people who refuse to believe that it may have some clinical application.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

cash crab posted:

I'm not directing this at you, but I'd like to take this opportunity to :eng101: at people again. 'Trigger', as a psychological term, refers to any situation or scenario that creates a negative effect in a patient. It's used for OCD, BPD, anorexia, and other disorders where a lot of the symptoms are dependent on fluctuations in a patients environment and cause emotional distress. Exposure therapy is a popular way to deal with situations that trigger unwanted behavior or feelings, but they have to be conducted in clinical settings by a professional, not by a 15 year-old who wants to defend the fact they that threatened to rape someone in an internet fight. I think a big issue for people with disorders that use that term freely in their therapy is that a) people who misuse it for their own gain and b) people who refuse to believe that it may have some clinical application.

It can also be used in non-psychological, physical contexts. For example, things like flashing patterns, bright lights/colors, and loud, sudden noises can trigger migraines and epilepsy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's also a pretty good name for a hunting dog. Like a lab or a pointer.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
This generation was raised on the Internet, so we think of ourselves as computers. We don't know how to name our emotions. People throw around words like PTSD, anxiety, and depression so much it cheapens the idea. Maybe you're anxious because the web gives you constant gratification. Or you're depressed because you spend all day reading horrible news on Reddit. Maybe you're "triggered" every time you read another shocking story on Tumblr. And you can't escape it because the technology is ingrained in daily life. With society getting more and more fractured, people are starting to live in their own little worlds.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

maybe this isn't a thread that needs a sidebar on Those Darn SJWs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Look, it's White Straight Cis Male (his description) here to tell everyone what TRUE feminism is!

http://imgur.com/gallery/mmFNG

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Your Computer posted:

Look, it's White Straight Cis Male (his description) here to tell everyone what TRUE feminism is!

"Hey guys here's an effort post with no sources explaining something I have no qualifications for"

Of course Imgur loves it.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Your Computer posted:

quote:

I suggested that the Nicole Arbour "dear fat people" video made some solid points
I care immensely about women's rights. I want my daughters to grow up in a world where they don't have to go through the things that my mother and my sister and my girlfriend go through.

I hope his daughters never struggle with their weight or have issues with their appearance :(

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

People keep saying this but I still just keep seeing them on pictures of corpses and depictions of sexual abuse.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Dr_Amazing posted:

People keep saying this but I still just keep seeing them on pictures of corpses and depictions of sexual abuse.

Same here. I follow a lot of Twitter accounts and Facebook pages about social justice, and even then I only see them for stories/pictures of dead bodies, sexual assault, or war.

But even if people were using trigger warnings for silly stuff, who cares? It takes a fraction of a second to gloss over them. It doesn't hurt you at all.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dr_Amazing posted:

I mean it's the source of the "triggered" meme :shrug:

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Same here. I follow a lot of Twitter accounts and Facebook pages about social justice, and even then I only see them for stories/pictures of dead bodies, sexual assault, or war.

But even if people were using trigger warnings for silly stuff, who cares? It takes a fraction of a second to gloss over them. It doesn't hurt you at all.

It's one of those things thats a problem caused by people who delude themselves into thinking they are doing good. Those people on imgur are reacting the way they do because it's been so badly misused and the mindset they have is incredibly common. I have professionally diagnosed ptsd and while stuff that triggers it for me isn't on the internet, it's incredibly poo poo having to explain that you are not in fact a social justice idiot when you try to talk about it. It's way worse for people who got it from war or something like rape, triggers for that are very common, but you have to fight the misconception that it's a load of bullshit thanks to these idiots that pretend.

I didn't want to start this derail, but yeah it's a problem for people who need it legitimately getting dismissed casually because people associate it with the special snowflakes and ignore how serious it actually is.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Seeing a dead body can be an intense thing for a lot of people. Just because it's a famous one or whatever, doesn't really matter when it gives a visceral reaction, or it shouldn't, really. Just like a lot of articles about war, new or old, that has pictures of dead bodies, will have a warning. It won't say 'trigger warning', but it's the same god damned thing. Just because I don't get terribly horrified over seeing black and white pictures of dead Russians in Stalingrad, doesn't diminish that-- oh gently caress it I'm arguing with imgurians in my head again.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It's misused and a meme because people take great offense to trigger warnings and make fun of it (ironically), not the other way around. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't see why you'd put the blame on "SJWs" for putting trigger warnings on things and not the assholes who don't take you seriously.

Much like "tumblrite feminazi" stuff, much of the outrageous "triggered" stuff you see everywhere is produced by 4chan and the like in an attempt at mocking "SJWs" for daring to call them out on being assholes. :shrug:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Your Computer posted:

It's misused and a meme because people take great offense to trigger warnings and make fun of it (ironically), not the other way around. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't see why you'd put the blame on "SJWs" for putting trigger warnings on things and not the assholes who don't take you seriously.

Much like "tumblrite feminazi" stuff, much of the outrageous "triggered" stuff you see everywhere is produced by 4chan and the like in an attempt at mocking "SJWs" for daring to call them out on being assholes. :shrug:

This is pretty much it. The "social justice idiots" bit is basically a gross (in terms of size) exaggeration from some people who are at worst just misguided teens. Is it based on a 'real' thing? Sure, there are some folks who are a bit overzealous, or overly sensitive, etc. But they're like comparing all Americans to, I don't know, a very small, but not representative, sample of "bad" Americans.

And then you have people who respond to a simple "Hey, could you tag this pic of that character in lingerie as nsfw? Thanks in advance" with "No gently caress you, get a better job". Not specifically a trigger, but it's not very dissimilar to other examples, only instead of nudity it's something else.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Nothing triggers imgur like a good old trigger warning :allears: I love that on the Ötzi post some of them actually though the concept of triggering was a joke created by imgur. These people are amazing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tetracube posted:

Around a million edgy 14 year-olds already beat you to that

Mods please word-filter edgy to sexy it will improve about half the threads on SA.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

No cotton. No.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Jerry Cotton posted:

Mods please word-filter edgy to sexy it will improve about half the threads on SA.

I'm Down

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Your Computer posted:

"Huh, this doesn't seem so bad. His explanations of first and second wave feminism are simplistic but are pretty positive I wonder what the problem is- oh....dear."

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Uhhhhh...

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Your Computer posted:

I like the idea that "OG" suffragettes weren't also middle/upper class white women. Or that "intersectionality" was from the 90s. Or sourced by white women. Whatever. I too shall refrain from arguing with Imgurians in my head.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I can't get over how stupid that post is. He's mad that feminists want to help other marginalized groups? Five bucks says he calls himself an egalitarian.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

http://imgur.com/gallery/olqS8IR
http://imgur.com/gallery/HTLYBDB

A woman who has actually studied women's issues pens a response to that piece of poo poo effort post.

quote:

arkathman 15 points : 3 replies : 5 hours ago reply

You might want to cite some sources or something. One meme and a few paragraphs of text in the description does not = facts.

quote:

keepay 4 points : 1 reply : 4 hours ago reply

Before you address that 3rd wave straw, remember that 2nd wave is voting for Hillary just because she's female and 3rd wave is with Bernie.

quote:

rubbarz via iPhone0 points : 38 minutes ago reply

Im going to get downvoted, but the "feministic" hair styles look gently caress ugly.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

kazil posted:

keepay 4 points : 1 reply : 4 hours ago reply

Before you address that 3rd wave straw, remember that 2nd wave is voting for Hillary just because she's female and 3rd wave is with Bernie.

But wait... I thought Imgur hated modern feminists and liked old "real" feminists? I thought those darn SJWs were the ones voting for Hillary just because she's a woman?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/olqS8IR
http://imgur.com/gallery/HTLYBDB

A woman who has actually studied women's issues pens a response to that piece of poo poo effort post.

Huh, imgur should start assuming everyone posting on that site is a woman then. Seems like now they actually begin to question the validity of the knowledge people put forth on random topics.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

2 whole upvotes on her followup post so far lol

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

BJPaskoff posted:

Someone please archive that post, because it shows exactly why I don't browse imgur anymore.

This was a great read. What's amazing to me is that it only covered racism against blacks. Imagine how long that post would have been if it included Islamophobia, not to mention blatant misogyny and/or victim blaming!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Grimdude posted:

This was a great read. What's amazing to me is that it only covered racism against blacks. Imagine how long that post would have been if it included Islamophobia, not to mention blatant misogyny and/or victim blaming!

I think my favorite thing about it is that the mods, early on at least, went on about how they want users to report offensive images. But as far as I can tell the only way to report an image on imgur is to manually copy the URL, click a tiny relatively hidden link and then go on to do that. There is no easily seen and clicked report button that just flags an image and gets on with it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yeah, we found out about that in the old random imgur image thread... Turns out that was actually a really depressing game of russian roulette in disguise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Funny clip of an old white guy in a dance off with a black guy.

http://imgur.com/gallery/O5W3iRF

Fifth-highest response:

quote:

logant via Android 453 points : 9 replies : 10 days ago

I want the sauce so I can hear all the black people overreacting.
Ha ha! So clever! Imgur has no racism problem! Just hilarious jokes!

• Locked thread