Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Plethora posted:

New Bunny Meat.

This one is funny and not disturbing, so no worries:

The best mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You've lost your edge, man. :colbert:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Fantomah returns! And this time, she brought a friend. :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hang on, Fletcher Hanks' characters are public domain?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Phy posted:

Of course they are, I'm pretty sure his publisher didn't survive the golden age.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 7, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah if they weren't I assume we'd be subjected to some kind of reboot by one of the big two by now. Maybe a movie starring Will Smith.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phy posted:

Which is why LOEG could cameo Stardust:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 7, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Begemot posted:

Of course they are, I'm pretty sure his publisher didn't survive the golden age.

That'd make them orphan works, not public domain.

If Hanks had the copyright on his characters, since he died in 1976, they'll be public domain in 2046 (70 years after author's death). In case of corporate ownership, since his last work were published in 1941, the copyright will expire merely in 2036 (120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever comes sooner).

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 7, 2016

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You've lost your edge, man. :colbert:

Oh dear, that's not good. I need to get more uncomfortable stories then.
I'd use my own stories but that would kind of defeat the point of the comic.

Edit: Fletcher Hanks' work scares the poo poo out of me. I bought the first collected volume of his and it was looking into the dreamworld of a truly unhealthy mind. While I love reading and seeing the artwork made by mentally unstable people, he makes me feel genuinely ill.

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 7, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That poor dog. That clubbing was probably hours later. It probbaly didn't even remember killing some rat at that point.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Phy posted:

It's a situation along the lines of Night of the Living Dead where the publisher didn't care enough to properly copyright their content, and at that point in history you had to have a proper copyright notice and register it. They are also orphaned works because Fox Feature Publications wasn't worth it for anyone to buy out when they went out of business.

That's there main reason Paul Karasic (the guy who edited the two Hanks collections) put together those books. Also, one of the original Stardust stories was published in Raw in the 80's, which is how Paul Karasic found him. Likewise Stardust showed up as a character in FemForce (IIRC the last surviving comic from the black and white boom). Fantomah has shown up a couple times in Hack/Slash. Image published something called the Next Issue Project where they'd do new issues for golden age anthology books. Mike Allred did the art for three Stardust story there but I was underwhelmed by the writing. And I kinda feel like Mike Allred is too good to draw Stardust. That, and his brief cameo in the LoEG text piece is pretty much every appearance a Hanks character had made in a "real" comic.

I know all this because I've spent like 5 years immersed in Fletcher Hanks stuff. I make everything on Super Wizard.net

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Plethora posted:

Edit: Fletcher Hanks' work scares the poo poo out of me. I bought the first collected volume of his and it was looking into the dreamworld of a truly unhealthy mind. While I love reading and seeing the artwork made by mentally unstable people, he makes me feel genuinely ill.

Won't lie, cracked right up at that last panel.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The ones that end on a flat note like these last two are the best imo, because it throws the hosed upedness of the rest of it into relief without directly saying "this really messed me up, here's how I felt afterwards..." (a couple of the strips do actually do that, and they're definitely weaker for it)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
That's a good way of putting it. The flat-note endings are probably my favorite part of these. I think they're becoming somewhat of a signature. I tried to have mine end kind of like that, though I didn't have a way of phrasing it.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Wait. What's he up to these days?

He's got a miniseries called Diesel out from BOOM.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I don't keep up with enough webcomic authors on Twitter, can anybody tell me who's leading so far in this year's douche-off to prove how much they totally don't care about the Super Bowl?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

TwoPair posted:

So I don't keep up with enough webcomic authors on Twitter, can anybody tell me who's leading so far in this year's douche-off to prove how much they totally don't care about the Super Bowl?

I think I saw Jeph Jacques going the opposite direction and complaining about people complaining about the super bowl? My partner showed me a tweet of his someone retweeted onto her timeline and it was dumb

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Plethora posted:

owns

Renaissance Robot posted:

The ones that end on a flat note like these last two are the best imo, because it throws the hosed upedness of the rest of it into relief without directly saying "this really messed me up, here's how I felt afterwards..." (a couple of the strips do actually do that, and they're definitely weaker for it)

yeah they've got excellent comedic pacing, except for that one that wound up on a harangue about authority figures from some ur-goon with a chip on his shoulder

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Trauma Comics (Traumics)

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

This is really good advice. I'll keep this up in future comics.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, flat endings are really effective for things like that. It wasn't something I put a lot of thought into but I even used one for my own cat death story (probably a bit too similar to the ones already in the comic, other than the added horror/sadness at it being my own fault) I shared before, because that just sort of comes naturally here.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Air is lava! posted:

That poor dog. That clubbing was probably hours later. It probbaly didn't even remember killing beloved family pets at that point.

Yeah that's what makes it so sad- the dog most certainly didn't comprehend the reasoning behind it being beaten but it's an understandable response. That and it would have a good chance of keeping the dog away in the future. I mean how else are they supposed to keep it out? It literally hopped a fence and ripped through the enclosure.

Keep in mind I will never condone beating a dog.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

In Monster Pulse related news:

ah ah get hosed ear kid

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I feel like they could have just beaten him up at any time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think when it comes to people with monster companions that don't quite obey the laws of physics that it's best to assume you cannot beat them up if you don't know what their deal is yet

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

I feel like they could have just beaten him up at any time.

He's excellent at tailing someone but I feel like he needed to be paired with someone with less crippling drawbacks to their offensive powers than "literally goes deaf temporarily". Looking at these new fighters the only one who got a decent matchup was Brazilian Tooth guy. Even taking into account that whoever is sending these kids out probably doesn't know about Violet or the vocal cord child; they sent these kids out by themselves instead of pairing them together for maximum benefit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Monsterkind : I want that jacket

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Hey Widdershins has consistently looked interesting everytime goons have posted it I say at like midnight, I'll finally give it a proper whirl before bed.

Four hours later I've marathoned everything and I have to wake up in like five hours thanks a lot Kojiro for your dumb webcomic being really good :arghfist::saddowns:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hey Widdershins has consistently looked interesting everytime goons have posted it I say at like midnight, I'll finally give it a proper whirl before bed.

Four hours later I've marathoned everything and I have to wake up in like five hours thanks a lot Kojiro for your dumb webcomic being really good :arghfist::saddowns:

Hooray, glad you liked it! I will take your stolen hours and use them to make more updates with.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New one:

Neat Bunny Meat related stuff from fans:

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 10, 2016

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

:golfclap: I enjoyed this one.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Haha holy poo poo. Fun for all the family :downsgun:

That poor bunny looks so traumatised. It's perfect.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

So how do I submit stories for Bunny Meat? Because I have a doozy.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

rndmnmbr posted:

So how do I submit stories for Bunny Meat? Because I have a doozy.

Lots of ways. Send me a PM, a note on DeviantArt, or on the Bunny Meat website through the PMs or as a comment.

Also, another fan art:

This person is from the Philippines and sent nine different stories about his abusive mother. The first one he sent was so graphically violent I refused to add it to the queue.
I've already had to reject two stories due to violence and there's one I'm hard-pressed not to use due to the content being just a tad too disturbing, but the story is just so dang interesting I'm conflicted.
I imagine this will happen rather often with this project, which is cool since that's kinda the point. It does have limits, though. I'm not going to have any direct sexual abuse or graphic violence, though it's already come close in two occasions.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
I'm IRL glad KC's work made it to the small screen. The AS IDs Youtube channel uploaded another bunch of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAyiknD1tLU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Future Days posted:

I'm IRL glad KC's work made it to the small screen. The AS IDs Youtube channel uploaded another bunch of them:

It's great hearing Space Ghost talk like How is Babby Formed.

I'm disappointed that the channel stopped displaying the creator's name. If you look at their older IDs, they're tagged--Cyriak, Paul Robertson, etc. But nothing about the creators of the latest ones.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Future Days posted:

meh

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kojiro posted:

Hooray, glad you liked it! I will take your stolen hours and use them to make more updates with.

I hope at some point we can actually see Henry and Isabelle's wedding? Because even a single spread would be hilarious.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Brought To You By posted:

I hope at some point we can actually see Henry and Isabelle's wedding? Because even a single spread would be hilarious.

It's extremely tempting to base a later story around it, to be honest. I had a lot of fun with the flashback characters, and writing a Disaster Wedding would be fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Future Days posted:

Is it me or do the mouths not quite synch right with the voices?

• Locked thread