Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Got an interview tomorrow as a lamination operator. Whatever that means...

It means you'll be working in a factory, congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Totally fine with that. Happy with anything not in an office.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Got an interview tomorrow as a lamination operator. Whatever that means...

You get to operate a machine that basically glues boards / things together and / or glues a veneer / film to a larger board / thing in a factory. Usually also means loading materials for construction and unloading finished product /packaging for dispatch. Also possibly machine repair and maintenance.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I could see myself doing that. Not bad.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Factory work sucks balls, I'd rather work in a quiet office imo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So we went out for dinner tonight since I couldn't get off work for V-Day. Went to an upscale Japanese steakhouse that we like and had amazing food. The tables are u-shaped around the grill so the guy throws your food at you as it's done? You know the type?

So anyways, we sit next to this couple and their clearly a shut-in nerdy as gently caress son and they're celebrating his 27th year of being a weird creep and he starts trying to take a selfie and get my girlfriend in the frame. It was weird as gently caress. Like was he trying to instagram it and be like "here's this hot chick i'm totally not on a date with!" It got so uncomfortable we had to switch seats and then he got up and went and sat at the bar for the rest of the time we were there.

Awkward as gently caress.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Been there. Done that. gently caress that, not for me. I'm not a computer janitor anymore for a reason.

^ lmao Rhyno. loving creepo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've never worked in an office thankfully so I can't really speak to that, however I did work in a factory for Molex running a machine that made solderless connectors and it was a miserable experience, but YMMV.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

leica posted:

Factory work sucks balls, I'd rather work in a quiet office imo.

I dunno, I've spent a surprising amount of time in factories and I kinda prefer it. Good workout at the very least.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I could see myself doing that. Not bad.

Why not train as a plumber or electrician, or another trade that makes bank? You'd have to be sober on the job but the pay is great and job security is also up there.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I already went through trade school and have been in the field since 2010. I made bank when you don't get laid off for 8 months out of the year. All the non-union shops pay like half of what my union gig did but you still get laid off all the time. If I moved 2 hours east to Boston it'd be a lot easier to land a job, but I absolutely hate Boston with a passion.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I got some fantastic news today, it'll take a couple of months to finalise but I'm kinda floating a lil :toot: I'd rather not go into further detail until then but it's real good and involves the rest of my life

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dunno, I've spent a surprising amount of time in factories and I kinda prefer it. Good workout at the very least.

if you work in a factory from your 20's to your 40's/50's then your body will be destroyed and useless and you will crave death by 75

at least this seems to be the theme of all the autoworkers in and around detroit

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Jokes on you Rhyno that wasn't getting gram'd it was definitely going in the wank bank for later.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Jokes on you Rhyno that wasn't getting gram'd it was definitely going in the wank bank for later.

Probably. To make it even weirder his parents stayed at the table and said nothing so he probably does this poo poo all the time.

Anyways, I think this video was linked but taken off Youtube earlier this week. More idiots at Cars & Coffee

http://speedsociety.com/mustang-does-burnout-in-front-of-cops-wrecks-busted

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

stevobob posted:

I got some fantastic news today, it'll take a couple of months to finalise but I'm kinda floating a lil :toot: I'd rather not go into further detail until then but it's real good and involves the rest of my life

Mazel tov!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I am STEAMING loving MAD right now.

My insurance company apparently believed the other persons testimony more, even after viewing my dashcam video, so they're saying I'm 100% at fault. They're saying I should have looked out for other traffic before performing a lane change and that I "forced her into the other lane". How that somehow justifies the fact that she rammed me, I have no idea

I calmed myself down a bit and wrote a very clear an concise email that I did not accept that ruling, that I did in fact check my mirrors and over my shoulder, and it was completely clear before I began my lane change, and that it was only after I had begun my maneuver that she tried to overtake and then rammed me.

gently caress!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I am STEAMING loving MAD right now.

My insurance company apparently believed the other persons testimony more, even after viewing my dashcam video, so they're saying I'm 100% at fault. They're saying I should have looked out for other traffic before performing a lane change and that I "forced her into the other lane". How that somehow justifies the fact that she rammed me, I have no idea

I calmed myself down a bit and wrote a very clear an concise email that I did not accept that ruling, that I did in fact check my mirrors and over my shoulder, and it was completely clear before I began my lane change, and that it was only after I had begun my maneuver that she tried to overtake and then rammed me.

gently caress!

Bet you they didn't really view the video.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That's hosed up. Good job on the calming down thing.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I whipped up a little drone footage video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUx3p1AJmXA&hd=1

spog posted:

Can practically guarantee it. They're just trying to make you go away; the letter alone will probably be enough to change their tune.

loving insurance companies, man.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Maybe they haven't, but I don't want to call them out on it right away.

I'll be going through the normal complaints process, first step is to complain directly to the auto department, which is what I have done.

If they don't change their decision, I'll raise a complaint with their overall quality department. And if that doesn't work, it's only ~$30 to raise an official complaint with the insurance complaints board.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe they haven't, but I don't want to call them out on it right away.

I'll be going through the normal complaints process, first step is to complain directly to the auto department, which is what I have done.

If they don't change their decision, I'll raise a complaint with their overall quality department. And if that doesn't work, it's only ~$30 to raise an official complaint with the insurance complaints board.

Screenshot the video with captions for each action that occurs and print it all out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Screenshot the video with captions for each action that occurs and print it all out.

And send it to them now?

I'll let them respond to my complaint first. Once.

The most annoying thing is that the accident happened in September, and it took them until January before they even got back to me. And now it apparently only took a few days. I have no idea what went on for 5 whole months before anything happened.

Unfortunately, since the camera is only pointed out my front window, you cannot tell from the video alone that I am well in front of her and that she accelerates to overtake when I am almost done with my maneuver. However, I thought it was abundantly clear that she accelerated hard while I was in the middle of changing lanes, in order to overtake me, simply by the speed with which she passes me after the collision.

I wish I could show you the video, but I don't know whether that's advisable.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 11, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait so you have video proof that it isn't your fault that they completely ignored :psyduck:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

Wait so you have video proof that it isn't your fault that they completely ignored :psyduck:

I can sort see how the video can be misinterpreted if you completely ignore my testimony. Still, as I wrote above, it should be pretty clear that we were definitely not going the same speed at the time of the collision.

E: I can hardly watch the video or read any of their e-mails, I get so pissed off.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 11, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So uh... it's a good thing when you check your oil and there's just a tiny drop on the end of the dipstick, right? :stonkhat:

Either it's developed a sudden leak, or it's started burning a lot of oil. I checked it a couple of weeks ago and it was just a hair under the full mark. Yeah I know, I should check it more often, but I've only had to add one quart, once, between oil changes, so I wasn't really expecting the oil to drop like that. I have oil and filters, and it's been about 6000 miles, so I'm going to go ahead and change it a little early (and send a sample off to Blackstone).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

if you work in a factory from your 20's to your 40's/50's then your body will be destroyed and useless and you will crave death by 75

at least this seems to be the theme of all the autoworkers in and around detroit

You wont destroy your body if you give a bit of a poo poo and look after it. Shovel in crap, drink, smoke.... that does waaaaay more damage. If you look at the ones usually doing the complaining, they are 50Kgs overweight and puffing a packet of cigs before lunch, then chugging down soft drink and any poo poo they dont care about at lunch. Then loving off for a 6 pack for dinner. We got 60-70+ year olds swinging around steel and you name it, who would utterly kick anyone's rear end in drat fine health. The difference is, guess who looks after themselves even with 12-14 hour shifts with OT?

And to be perfectly honest, I know a lot more office workers who havent done a loving hard days labour in their life who are in appalling condition at my age that warehouse guys falling apart. By the time they are 65, they are going to be basically good for sitting on their rear end in front of the TV and that's it because their kidneys are done, the liver is shutting down and their arteries are filled with gently caress knows what. Sitting on your rear end all day is probably worse for you than a good day's honest hard work.

Wether you work hard for a living or sit on an office, you have got to take care of yourself or by tthe time you get 60, you will be A-Class hosed either way.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It makes me sad to see people not taking care of themselves, even though I have a gym in the garage and tootle to work on a bike every day I still feel like I'm not doing enough despite being fitter than ever. Seems when people get older they just do less and start to feel bad and then use that as an excuse to do even less because they're not as fit as they once were. It's just an endless loop of loving themselves over with excuses.

...and then there's this dude, aged 70 in the video and lifting more than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJaZDGVNWA

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

88h88 posted:

It makes me sad to see people not taking care of themselves, even though I have a gym in the garage and tootle to work on a bike every day I still feel like I'm not doing enough despite being fitter than ever. Seems when people get older they just do less and start to feel bad and then use that as an excuse to do even less because they're not as fit as they once were. It's just an endless loop of loving themselves over with excuses.

a) JFC, that guy is insane

b) You speak truth with how people get themselves in an endless cycle. I see that too often and you get people who say that to my face when they ask how far I ride. Well? What do you expect? Do peole really think I jumped on a bike a few weeks ago and got to where I am.... or has it literally been I have not stopped doing something for the last 15 years? And the reality is, I've been doing things since I was a teenager and except for a couple of years when I was married, havent stopped. Man, starting after those 4 years doing nothing was drat bloody hard but now I'm approaching 47 it's been well worth it.

I know it sounds like BOOTSTRAPS!!!! but when it comes to eating right and exercise.... sorry there just isnt an easy option, you DO need to make an effort and it's not easy to begin with. And then dont stop. I hear a bunch of people say they would love to ride but they work hours blah blah blah..... why the gently caress do people think I get up at 430am? I *HATE* doing that. But if I dont, when the hell am I going to make the time to exercise?

But lets put it this way - after a while it just becomes a way of life and it works

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything for myself with my tax refund - just pay off some bills. Then I cranked up the stereo in my car yesterday. :downsgun: Just made an order with Crutchfield for new front speakers. Affordable ones, at least (Polk coaxials). And I'm current on every single bill for the first time in about 6 months (and a zero balance on every credit card now), so $75 on new front speakers + adapters to tie them into factory wiring doesn't seem too terrible. Right?

Right?

:doh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm not going to tell someone not to spend money on speakers, because music is the best thing in this lovely world.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

I'm not going to tell someone not to spend money on speakers, because music is the best thing in this lovely world.

+1 million billion trillion

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Truth: I would lose my poo poo in less than a day if I didn't have music.

I gotta say, the factory (front) speakers actually sounded drat good (the rears are lovely full range speakers), they've just been cranked to 11 nonstop since I bought the car. Still sound decent, just want something with clearer highs. I'll likely swap the factory front speakers to the back and ditch the ripped full range speakers.

I wanted to go with components, but the cheapest remotely decent set is more than double what these coaxials cost. Not that these are great coaxials, but they'll be a decent upgrade. Next time will likely be some Focal components up front + moving the Polks to the back, though I'd like to find the OEM sail panels for the 6 speaker stereo so I can keep everything looking stock.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 11, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I need to address legendary levels of fiat NVH before I spend money on speakers but as I spend an hour a day in my car I think I'll buy speakers for mine at some point.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

An hour.. that's cute. :allears:

(a bit over 6 hours yesterday)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

I need to address legendary levels of fiat NVH before I spend money on speakers but as I spend an hour a day in my car I think I'll buy speakers for mine at some point.

I actually found the Panda very reasonable on NVH for a small car.

But maybe that's because the diesel clatter drowned out everything else :v:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

some texas redneck posted:

Truth: I would lose my poo poo in less than a day if I didn't have music.

I commuted for a long time in a car with no radio. :smith:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And to be perfectly honest, I know a lot more office workers who havent done a loving hard days labour in their life who are in appalling condition at my age that warehouse guys falling apart. By the time they are 65, they are going to be basically good for sitting on their rear end in front of the TV and that's it because their kidneys are done, the liver is shutting down and their arteries are filled with gently caress knows what. Sitting on your rear end all day is probably worse for you than a good day's honest hard work.
The physical change I've seen my coworkers go through in the past ~6.5 years since I started is pretty sad. They've all gained weight and are really slowing down, some are worse than others but none of them take care of themselves and are older. We're all mostly office workers with occasional time doing physical work on the floor but it's just sad. They all drink too much and eat too much lovely cafeteria food then complain they're getting fatter and everything hurts.

88h88 posted:

drat if I look half as good as that guy when I'm 70 I'll be one happy old man.

88h88 posted:

:hfive: this exactly. lovely day, go take a long drive with some good tunes and poo poo doesn't matter

Second day of whatever the hell this head cold is, feeling worse than I did yesterday. Need to get over this poo poo before this weekend. Weather is looking questionable Monday so we're taking the TDI to Florida instead of the beast :mad: I don't trust Atlanta drivers in snow enough to risk it.

A goon is looking at the WR250 today and if he passes or decides to low ball the poo poo out of me I have three people lined up behind him, I should have a nice stack of cash by the end of the day which will make me feel better. 320i is almost ready to be picked up from the shop, swinging by today to check on it and probably hand over a bunch of that cash.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Working in an office environment owns bones. I've done the working outside bit and it sucks in a state with 4 seasons, imo. Though I might feel different if I wasn't allowed to just wear whatever and had to dress in a white button down every day. Got a union and a pension and lots of health insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Office/engineering work is OK, but man I'm jonesing for some manual labor. Luckily I'm drilling manly holes in concrete within the next couple of days and with a bit of luck my mate will get the parts he needs, and we'll fix some stuff on his Audi.

If I had to do it every day, I'd probably have a different opinion.

Slightly related, two-three weeks ago I raised my desk at work, wheeled my chair under it, and started standing up at my computer. The first week resulted in slightly sore feet/calves, now I can't imagine anything else. I even stand up at meetings. I can only recommend it.

• Locked thread