Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I feel like setting an internal limit and cashing out is in my best interest simply because of the fees- knocking people on both profit rake and cash-out fees is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I feel like setting an internal limit and cashing out is in my best interest simply because of the fees- knocking people on both profit rake and cash-out fees is absurd.

Kinda. It's the same proportion no matter what so its not like it matters if you put in more or less. Agreed though.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Vox Nihili posted:

It's been real, everyone, but I need to focus on real life before this hobby turns into a habit.

Final score for bragging purposes:

(GO BERNIE)

you'll be missed

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Jesus, and I thought the sports betting world had bad withdrawal fees for US customers.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

It's been real, everyone, but I need to focus on real life before this hobby turns into a habit.

(GO BERNIE)

Nice job. We will miss you and if life settles down for you I hope you come back

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I just joined the site and am in for $50 of YES Bernie SC @ $0.17.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

i wish you the best of luck on that

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

lol

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Ok so the trick is to ride expectation waves. The second that a poll comes out that's even slightly favorable for bernie and you can make a profit you should probably pull out. Hillary is almost certainly going to win SC.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

a cop posted:

Ok so the trick is to ride expectation waves. The second that a poll comes out that's even slightly favorable for bernie and you can make a profit you should probably pull out. Hillary is almost certainly going to win SC.

Yep, that's the idea.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So out of curiosity, why is it that when the polls close they take out risk adjustment fees as they pay out? I'm sure I'm just not thinking of something obvious as I see another fee added to their 5% fee before the total reaches my "wallet".

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

So out of curiosity, why is it that when the polls close they take out risk adjustment fees as they pay out? I'm sure I'm just not thinking of something obvious as I see another fee added to their 5% fee before the total reaches my "wallet".

Well, you know, there is processing, and handling, and the coffee, and, uh...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Romney RNOM had twelve thousand shares traded today :psyduck:

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Keeping an eye on MAPRMRY16.DEM ---- it's leaning heavily for Sanders without any recent polling (late Nov we had Clinton +25). Yes geographic proximity to NH/VT plays well here and momentum is in Sanders' favor, but even Obama got shellacked by Clinton there in 2008 despite being endorsed by Kennedy. I bought in around 50 for Bernie NO so I'm actually down right now. Thoughts on this one? It's right around the corner.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wonder why Rubio South Carolina isn't higher considering 538 has him with a 22% chance of winning

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Nirvikalpa posted:

Wonder why Rubio South Carolina isn't higher considering 538 has him with a 22% chance of winning

That's because Harry Enten gave Trump a -10% chance of winning and they had to pad the other candidates totals so it would add to 100.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zeta Taskforce posted:

That's because Harry Enten gave Trump a -10% chance of winning and they had to pad the other candidates totals so it would add to 100.

god that photo was such bad PR

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Nirvikalpa posted:

Rubio has a higher chance to finish fourth in SC than win it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm looking ahead to Super Tuesday states, and I'm checking to see if there are any where I should get in while the prices are still in the flux of being early, and Minnesota Dem Primary seems like an easy place to make some money. Clinton's at a low price of 45ish despite a poll from less than a month ago giving her a huge advantage. I know Minnesota tends to be more liberal and Hillary dropped the ball there in 2008, but after she handily takes Nevada and SC, her prices are bound to go up. I'll probably jump on that train once my Ben Carson money comes in tomorrow.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Hillary, in general, is underpriced on Super Tuesday. Colorado's price is particularly bad, given that CO is both less friendly than Iowa and a closed primary whose voter registration deadline expired in early January.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If nothing else, buying Hillary Yes and Bernie No across Super Tuesday should provide you with a decent chance to flip any you may be worried about after she wins SC.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Any true believers on Ted Cruz in SC? The 0.25 YES buy there right now seems good.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

railroad terror posted:

Any true believers on Ted Cruz in SC? The 0.25 YES buy there right now seems good.
I believe...in the almighty flip.

Holding a bunch for the first poll but nothing long. Got in around 21 cents on Tuesday night.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Why the gently caress does this Christie dropout market resolve on the 17th? My liquidity :qq:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nachos posted:

Why the gently caress does this Christie dropout market resolve on the 17th? My liquidity :qq:

Because he has five days to announce “j/k lol” and resume his campaign.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Haven't much looked at my account here since they started the linked markets - what's the short version as to why buying no shares is preferred over buying yes?

edit: thanks

Lazlow has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Feb 11, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lazlow posted:

Haven't much looked at my account here since they started the linked markets - what's the short version as to why buying no shares is preferred over buying yes?

There can only be one winner, so if you have only “NO”s, you can only lose on at most one of them.

That’s always been true, but with linked markets, PredictIt will only tie up enough money to cover your worst‐case scenario. There’s a good example posted.

NO bets are often more attractive because you can make more bets with the same money. Theoretically all the other traders realise this and the shares are priced accordingly, though.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 16:35 on Feb 11, 2016

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
SC 1st 2nd and 3rd place markets are now up

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

nachos posted:

In the 1st place market Trump and Cruz are 75 and 25 respectively, that's because there's little doubt 1st and 2nd will be occupied by anyone but them. 3rd place is a fight between Rubio and Jeb, I've got an order in for the former but I will probably pick up some cheap Jeb for 3rd. He has W on the trail with him over the next ten days and he's still extremely popular down here (~70% approval rating if you can believe it).

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

nachos posted:

I threw out some way-too-cheap Cruz YES for 2nd to see if anybody bites.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Vox Nihili posted:

(GO BERNIE)

I'm with you man, I'm out too. Too much time spent

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

railroad terror posted:

This just dipped again so picked up more for 20 cents. Did you end up getting any? There's a solid wall at 25 cents so unless a poll drops with Cruz gaining on Trump don't expect it to shoot up right away.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I ended up snatching up 1000 shares @ 20 and 21 cents. I could sell off about half of it right now and make $10-15 in profit....I might do that.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

District Selectman posted:

I'm with you man, I'm out too. Too much time spent

Nooooooo

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

a cop posted:

Nooooooo
KASICH.SCPRMRY16.GOP.3RD :)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Peachstapler posted:

KASICH.SCPRMRY16.GOP.3RD :)

Good luck with that. There aren't enough sensible Republicans in the state, and those that do exist will be swayed by Jeb/Rubio's superior cash reserves and ground game.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Aliquid posted:

Good luck with that. There aren't enough sensible Republicans in the state, and those that do exist will be swayed by Jeb/Rubio's superior cash reserves and ground game.
I'm NO on that actually. I was quoting a cop to state a good buy (people were offering YES for 20 cents). You're absolutely right though...free money out there if people want it.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Dang, I didn't get 80 cents for NO, but I did get upper 80s. Kasich, if he's lucky, will double or triple his 1-2% in the polls there on election day.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Blah I had got in on Cruz to win SC when it was at 27, it's gonna take me forever to flip that. Got my sell orders in for 35, maybe too cautious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Where's the 3rd place market for SC Dems? That would be a truly degen's paradise.

• Locked thread