Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

I'll raise you this Atlas, at least he was on the enemy team.

:psyduck: Where is all the tonnage???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Maybe the engine? DHS/Endo would let you put in a STD400, 608/614 armor, 5t of LRM and 2t of AC/10.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Bentai posted:

Maybe the engine? DHS/Endo would let you put in a STD400, 608/614 armor, 5t of LRM and 2t of AC/10.

It's a atlas RS which is limited to 360, only the boars head can fit in a 400.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

I'll raise you this Atlas, at least he was on the enemy team.

At least your had a cannon, mine only had 2 small lasers and Tag.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's me, I'm the bad who dies early so I can browse pubbie builds to find out why we're losing and blame them for it.

:ughh:

I was watching someone last night shoot at enemies 700m+ away with medium lasers. I always wonder how people are managing to die in the stand off sniping phase of a match but now I know.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

I was watching someone last night shoot at enemies 700m+ away with medium lasers. I always wonder how people are managing to die in the stand off sniping phase of a match but now I know.

Polar Highlands.
Im the scout speartip (despite fielding a 75ton marauder, our lights snipers appaerently) and make visual contact with the enemy.
Target recticle appears, returns distance to enemy at 1648 metres.
10 billion lurms go airborne behind me.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pubbie Atlas Supreme:
LRM 15
LRM 15
LBX 10
Machine Gun
ER Large Laser
TAG
AMS
ECM

It went 32 kph. I wish I had gotten a screenshot of this abomination.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Paging gwaihir to the thread to post his pubbie killer XL engined atlas.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ardlen posted:

I have had this happen as well. If you are changing things in the mechbay, sometimes a tooltip remains persistent when you launch and play a match. It goes away if you relaunch or have another tooltip pop up and properly vanish.

I've had persistent ui messages before, but what really baffles me is why "no active probe sensor" equipped is even a pop-up in this game.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Equip your god drat probe is why

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

kingcom posted:

:psyduck: Where is all the tonnage???

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

*SPERGING INTENSIFIES*

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

how?
std 400 and heatsinks? 3 Targetting computers?
how?

We need a :psyduck: emot with an atlas head.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Joke's on you his whole mech is shield sections and he'll never lose firepower

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
If you haven't dropped in a partially fitted mech before, I don't know what to tell you.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ZombyDog posted:

If you haven't dropped in a partially fitted mech before, I don't know what to tell you.

Same

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

This is the best mech I've ever seen, and I saw it three years ago:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Pattonesque posted:

surely you'd put that ammo in the legs and head only, yeah?
Oh, yeah, good grief. I was phone posting yesterday so I just made sure it was a 4xASRM4 build before posting.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

This is the best mech I've ever seen, and I saw it three years ago:

Jesus. You'd need some kind of wearable mind-machine interface, a "neurohelmet" if you will, to manage all those different weapons.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
the hidden surprise on that mech is that he didn't put on ecm.

unless that was before ecm was a thing

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Willfrey posted:

the hidden surprise on that mech is that he didn't put on ecm.

unless that was before ecm was a thing

Nope, it was post ECM. It's from one of my old "Your Robot Sucks" pieces for TheMittani.com and someone mentioned the lack of ECMs in the comments.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Supraluminal posted:

Jesus. You'd need some kind of wearable mind-machine interface, a "neurohelmet" if you will, to manage all those different weapons.

Its one of those builds that bit for bit make theoretical sense in your head but suck major rear end in reality.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's me, I'm the bad who dies early so I can browse pubbie builds to find out why we're losing and blame them for it.

How is this person both dead and also walking around untouched?

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Polar Highlands.
Im the scout speartip (despite fielding a 75ton marauder, our lights snipers appaerently) and make visual contact with the enemy.
Target recticle appears, returns distance to enemy at 1648 metres.
10 billion lurms go airborne behind me.

If I had lurms, I would probably use them beyond range now and again to try to get the enemy to react to cockpit warning in a way I wanted. I doubt that is what happened here. :(

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 11, 2016

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Same reason my UI said I was alive and I could fire my guns last night, despite my mech was lying on it's back

:pgi:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PoptartsNinja posted:

:ughh:

that's not even the right Battlemaster to lurm with :(

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey Number 19,

What about gimbal mounted weapons mounted on mechs? Such as the Mad Dogs' or Locusts' CT laser hardpoints? Is this an oversight? Is it a matter of "we're not animating that so we're not going to bind it to the arm target"?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I love those times when what feels like the entire enemy team is chasing you in this weird conga line all over the map. Being a light must be funny as hell, they go crazy over my dumb medium mech.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Are there any plans to make the radar dep notification sound more noticeable? It's super quiet and I can barely heard it with Mumble and other stuff going on.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Are there any plans to make the radar dep notification sound more noticeable? It's super quiet and I can barely heard it with Mumble and other stuff going on.

A lot of people don't know about this and it's really super useful

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

I love those times when what feels like the entire enemy team is chasing you in this weird conga line all over the map. Being a light must be funny as hell, they go crazy over my dumb medium mech.

Doing actual damage and getting kills in a light is all well and good, and obviously you should shoot butts when they're available... but this right here is your main job. I'm sure it's different when actual good teams are playing each other, but in the pub queue, squirrel chasing is endemic. You can usually get like four or five people, often in heavies or even assaults, to abandon the actual fight and waste a bunch of time chasing you around.

Unfortunately pub teams are too bad and disorganized to capitalize on the disruption as often as they should so it's not as effective as it ought to be, but it's still a powerful tactic and not as risky or situational as assassination attempts.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Supraluminal posted:

Doing actual damage and getting kills in a light is all well and good, and obviously you should shoot butts when they're available... but this right here is your main job. I'm sure it's different when actual good teams are playing each other, but in the pub queue, squirrel chasing is endemic. You can usually get like four or five people, often in heavies or even assaults, to abandon the actual fight and waste a bunch of time chasing you around.

Unfortunately pub teams are too bad and disorganized to capitalize on the disruption as often as they should so it's not as effective as it ought to be, but it's still a powerful tactic and not as risky or situational as assassination attempts.

I have lost games to firestarters that blindly charged in our formation and just ran in circles until they eventually died.
I dont know if the time wasted or the accidental friendly fire was more detrimental overall.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

ImpactVector posted:

Oh, yeah, good grief. I was phone posting yesterday so I just made sure it was a 4xASRM4 build before posting.

So that was a bad idea? Was he sarcastic? Do I really move the ammo into the legs? I mean if I Lose a center torso I'm dead anyway why not put the ammo there? I'm used to gauss ammo that doesn't explode at all.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I have lost games to firestarters that blindly charged in our formation and just ran in circles until they eventually died.
I dont know if the time wasted or the accidental friendly fire was more detrimental overall.

It's time wasted chasing. That light basically held your entire team in place while the other team marched forward to kick your team in the dick.

As you play watch what happens to your team when a light runs through your blob, generally you'll see all your blue arrows turn around to chase them down. The correct answer to this is your light blob or light killers disengage to kill while everyone else marches forward.

An important part of brawling is to keep enemy lights from scooping butt meat from your fatter team mates. Generally people are bad at this so pubbies think that they have to turn around to kill the light that just buzzed past them in order to prevent their asses from getting cored out later.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It sounds like your mediums and lights weren't doing their job. You can't ignore Firestarters, Jenners or Arctic Cheetahs, so the light hunters need to be on their game when they come to disrupt your backfield. And though you shouldn't chase, you should step back into cover and take shots at them to speed their demise, just so long as you're not taking fire from the front.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Krinkle posted:

So that was a bad idea? Was he sarcastic? Do I really move the ammo into the legs? I mean if I Lose a center torso I'm dead anyway why not put the ammo there? I'm used to gauss ammo that doesn't explode at all.

put your ammo in your legs and head because those things get shot the least. The ammo in the head gets used up first so you probably won't die to an ammo explosion there. If you put it in the CT and your CT gets opened, the next shot could crit the ammo and blow you up. Same with side torsos. Sometimes you can't avoid putting ammo in side or center torsos, but in that case you'll probably be in a build that is going to be using up ammo very quickly anyway.

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 11, 2016

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Ammo in torso sections is risky because the ammo can be critted and explode as soon as the armor is gone on that section. As far as I know engines aren't affected by damage until a torso section is fully destroyed, so by putting ammo in there you're basically risking giving up on all the structure HP.

Obviously ammo exploding anywhere is bad, but generally the head and legs are the safest places for it. People don't often intentionally go for legs (except on lights), and in any case if something is going to get blown up a leg is better than a torso section.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Krinkle posted:

So, last night Patton won a game for us even though he was dead in the next few hits. He did this by causing an ammo explosion on the enemy's CT, making it go boom, which in turn blew up his engine. If he hadn't stored ammo in his CT they would have won the game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Drythe posted:

So, last night Patton won a game for us even though he was dead in the next few hits. He did this by causing an ammo explosion on the enemy's CT, making it go boom, which in turn blew up his engine. If he hadn't stored ammo in his CT they would have won the game.

:ssh: I think I still coulda killed him because his CT was weak and I didn't have an XL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It makes the point seem more valid drat it

• Locked thread