Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Smelter Demon is now actually easier than his own runup

This is true. The main problem is that you get punished waaaaay to hard if you die because of all the poo poo before the boss. Hell, even the run to Smelter 1.0 on Iron Keep is a piece of cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

fool_of_sound posted:

You have to light every torch to make him spawn.

Does he leave a spooky message anywhere telling me to stop lighting torches or is it just "well, if you really bother with it all..."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I found Iron Passage. Everyone was right, a boss run you can't actually run through because every enemy has super tracking on every attack. Smelter himself is easy except for his occasional "woops I hit you even though you were nowhere near the attack, take critical damage and die" nonsense. That and only doing 100 a hit with a +10 winged spear. :/
It can absolutely be run through, it's just all about the roll timing. I can do it without getting hit 80-90% of the time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I liked lighting up Things Betwixt in the base game just for the hell of it, so imagine my surprise when the devs rewarded me for it this time with a raw as gently caress pseudo-Forlorn carrying a bastard sword and a Petrified Something.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Before you pull the switch and open the gates in Iron Passage, throw a Alluring Skull at the wall next to hallway. It will change the positioning of the hollows within the cells, and makes the run a lot easier.

If you are a sorcerer you can also use Yearn for the same effect.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Scrree posted:

Before you pull the switch and open the gates in Iron Passage, throw a Alluring Skull at the wall next to hallway. It will change the positioning of the hollows within the cells, and makes the run a lot easier.

If you are a sorcerer you can also use Yearn for the same effect.

That's a dead end though? If I throw the switch, hollows rush out, I kill them, and then there's nothing in any of the cells but the one item. If there is a hidden passage that way it isn't found by touching any of the cell walls.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That's a dead end though? If I throw the switch, hollows rush out, I kill them, and then there's nothing in any of the cells but the one item. If there is a hidden passage that way it isn't found by touching any of the cell walls.

It's an alternate route through the passage, you just have to be really fast to make it through the fireball gate before it closes.

I think the optional gauntlets in the DLC are sorta designed for coop, they're certainly more enjoyable that way

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The idea behind those passages is that one person waits near the gate, and their co-op buddy pulls the switch. The enemies, fireballs, and the short time the gate is open is designed to discourage solo players from getting through, although it's definitely possible to do it alone if you lower your equipment load and make good use of rolling. Start running as soon as you see the little dust clouds as the gates start to move.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
of course it's fun when your doofus host doesn't wait for you to be ready or even fully summoned before pulling the lever, leaving you to have a good time with noted good summons drifter swordsman aidel and steel-willed lorrie

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Salean posted:

Doing invasions I came across a guy in heide knight gear who was sitting down. How do you do that?

edit: To clarify the guy who I invaded was in the heide knight gear sitting on the bridge in the iron keep

I can explain this one, because truth be told I am partially responsible for it.

Basically, a guy invaded me one day and did this via a hack, but there was a problem: he had no idea how to get up without some nasty movement glitches happening, because he had no idea what he was doing and discovered it by accident. He thought he was editing assembly code. Turns out there's just a flag for whether you're sitting or not.

In the spirit of fair trade I figured out what was going on and taught this person how to stand up properly.

I then sat at the bonfire after being invaded or such on someone's stream as a gag, dressed as a Heide Knight, causing a minor uproar. This caught the attention of a certain fellow who, among other nasty things, impersonated me to crash people and such. He basically went around Steam trying to find out how I was doing this (nobody knew, which annoyed the poo poo out of him).

The original sitting guy wouldn't tell him, because this sit thing basically made you invincible most of the time. Problem is, he eventually found the single person Sit Guy told, who just happened to be stupid enough to spill the beans. Then, of course, it was leaked to spite me because I made a habit of ruining this person's day if I just so happened to catch him trying to screw with people.

So, basically the fact that other people have it is due to me being silly and giving fixes to people who show me their cool stuff. Sadly it's mostly been used for awhile as a way to annoy people (barring me turning the tables by forcing them out of it and consequently screwing their controls, which never goes over well).

I'm actually glad to see someone besides me and Sit Guy use the drat thing to do something entertaining.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 10, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shooting the Amana Priestesses in the head with the Hunter's Blackbow. Feels good man

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Beat Smelter Blue; he wasn't so bad with a couple of summons to beat on. Dark resin on a +10 murakumo did 500 a hit, so that was decent enough.

Fine Knight is interesting. His stupid wide swing with the heavy sword catches me when I try to roll away from his smaller one, which is pretty fast as well. So you basically have to watch his arms and dodge towards the big one if you aren't nearly behind him when he swings it.

I can reliably get to phase two but I can't quite not get blasted by the swirly attack or dodge the stab. I feel like I'll actually beat him after a few tries, rather than grinding my face against blue smelter.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 11, 2016

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I had the best luck rolling through the slab of burning slag and toward him so it wouldn't catch the back of my head. I also found out that the second swipe of one of his 1-2-3 swings (R-R-L) went over my head if I was near his left leg. Saved me some stamina to only roll once and sneak in an attack. The swirly stuff is a matter of recognizing when to run away from the AoE and that you can roll through the fireballs.

SmelterB is just Smelter with a delay in his swipes. While that fake out gets me a lot, once you get into a flow he does drop pretty quickly.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I swear every pass through earthen peak is somehow worse than the last one.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I figured out that Smelterb would roar with his swings, so while he does play around with his timing that wasn't what tripped me up. I just got caught on the weird hit boxes and occasionally the combo length mixups.

Fume Knight is harder, but he doesn't burn you just by being within striking range. His hit boxes feel like they correspond with the visuals better, but the attacks are very wide and harder to dodge.

I guess what I'm saying is that he feels like more fair of a challenge so he doesn't make me as mad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i thought fume knight was way harder, and probably the boss that gave me the most trouble overall, but happily the run back is a leisurely stroll

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Talking to Nashville and for the first time I notice this going on behind me :stare:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Fume Knight is IMO the best boss in Sotfs

It's such a hard fight, but its so well put together and so effective at matching weapon to hitbox with him that it never feels cheap when you die

A lot of the same stuff applies to Alonne too, and I think that Crown of the Old Iron King, the DLC, is the best put together of the packs by far

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Didn't they check their stats and find that 90% of players die to Fume Knight? Or something like that.

Does anyone put on Veldstadt armor to intentionally piss him off?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

HGH posted:

Didn't they check their stats and find that 90% of players die to Fume Knight? Or something like that.

Does anyone put on Veldstadt armor to intentionally piss him off?
Those statistics came out back when the DLC was fresh, but regardless it was something like 93% of attempts against the Fume Knight resulted in death. So yeah, he's hard before you figure him out and still never easy once you do. Though speaking of Velstadt and difficulty, putting on Velstadt's Helm actually helps to remove or at least cull the quick/unpredictable parts of the Fume Knight's moveset.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I unlocked the Belfry. The pursuer stalking the lost bastille also appears down in that little rear end room and it's a lot easier than the other place where there's hollow archers and undead dogs everywhere.

But here's my problem. The Belfry is loving nuts! I get invaded instantly. And then I get invaded again by more people! There's greys and reds and sometimes they are both killing me and sometimes they are killing each other!

And then after hours of dancing about trying to flip the drat switch at the top, I walk through the mist :stonk: to be greeted by the exact loving boss from Dark Souls that made me rage quit the game and give up on the series in the first place what the gently caress I'm done for the day

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You are in for some rough, rough times.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

amazeballs posted:

I unlocked the Belfry. The pursuer stalking the lost bastille also appears down in that little rear end room and it's a lot easier than the other place where there's hollow archers and undead dogs everywhere.

But here's my problem. The Belfry is loving nuts! I get invaded instantly. And then I get invaded again by more people! There's greys and reds and sometimes they are both killing me and sometimes they are killing each other!

And then after hours of dancing about trying to flip the drat switch at the top, I walk through the mist :stonk: to be greeted by the exact loving boss from Dark Souls that made me rage quit the game and give up on the series in the first place what the gently caress I'm done for the day

try summoning some help, even the npc there makes a huge difference

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Deified Data posted:

You want to play as a falconer then?

I have not encountered these dudes but I assume they're dressed like me and are chumps.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Falconers are cheating motherfuckers.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Those statistics came out back when the DLC was fresh, but regardless it was something like 93% of attempts against the Fume Knight resulted in death. So yeah, he's hard before you figure him out and still never easy once you do. Though speaking of Velstadt and difficulty, putting on Velstadt's Helm actually helps to remove or at least cull the quick/unpredictable parts of the Fume Knight's moveset.
I feel like I did something terribly wrong because I beat Fume Knight on my first try and then spent like three hours banging my head against a wall against Sir Alonne

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yes they are. But mostly they look like idiots when they ice skate at super speed.

I told myself I'd never Frigid Outskirts again. I told myself... I'd... never again... So, utilizing Vendrick's Blessing to stay human when I die to Helldeer, I spent 30-60 minutes farming them with Vengarl as a meatshield again. 116K souls(I always retrieved the few times I died), minus the other enemies, I estimate at least 41 of them dead, and they're still spawning at the last hut before the two tigers. Most of my deaths were due to boredom, but because I kept retrieving and was able to keep track of the kills the tedium tinged curiosity continued.

TL;DR: dramatic reenactment = :bang:

E:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I feel like I did something terribly wrong because I beat Fume Knight on my first try and then spent like three hours banging my head against a wall against Sir Alonne
By no means did I quickly dispatch Fume, but Alonne in all of my runs has been way more of a nightmare as well.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Andrigaar posted:

Yes they are. But mostly they look like idiots when they ice skate at super speed.

I told myself I'd never Frigid Outskirts again. I told myself... I'd... never again... So, utilizing Vendrick's Blessing to stay human when I die to Helldeer, I spent 30-60 minutes farming them with Vengarl as a meatshield again. 116K souls(I always retrieved the few times I died), minus the other enemies, I estimate at least 41 of them dead, and they're still spawning at the last hut before the two tigers. Most of my deaths were due to boredom, but because I kept retrieving and was able to keep track of the kills the tedium tinged curiosity continued.

TL;DR: dramatic reenactment = :bang:

E:

By no means did I quickly dispatch Fume, but Alonne in all of my runs has been way more of a nightmare as well.

I had help against the Fume Knight, but there were no signs except for the NPC ones in Sir Alonne's memory. They were entirely worthless so I just took him on alone, which was good because he hosed me up for hours.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Yeah I dunno why people don't put signs down for Alonne. It's really annoying.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Yeah I dunno why people don't put signs down for Alonne. It's really annoying.

Because it's not clear how you do so, I think. You have to go put them in the otherwise useless grave room at the beginning of the DLC.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've only fought Alonne and Fume once each, but I beat both of them in three attempts using a great sword. I didn't see what people have trouble with.

Artorias remains my most challenging fight.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I had substantially more trouble with Fume Knight then I did with Alonne, but my hardest fight was still Darkstalker, unless you include trying to solo Burnt Ivory King, which I just gave up on.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

:hfive: alonne is a real fucker

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The hardest part of this run so far has been doing No Man's Wharf with 4 Vit, 25 Adaptability and a Rapier. Those Vangarian Warriors didn't give a gently caress about my special snowflake melee glass cannon build

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The hardest part of this run so far has been doing No Man's Wharf with 4 Vit, 25 Adaptability and a Rapier. Those Vangarian Warriors didn't give a gently caress about my special snowflake melee glass cannon build

And it's always Warriors, too. Being a lot more aggressive than the mooks you get in Forest of the Fallen Giants while rolling in packs is a hell of a wake-up call.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

And it's always Warriors, too. Being a lot more aggressive than the mooks you get in Forest of the Fallen Giants while rolling in packs is a hell of a wake-up call.

I think the one time I didn't spot a dude hanging off an edge was at the ship and a dude appeared behind me. I got super lucky and panic rolled behind him.

They're super satisfying to knock off the pier though and clips the amount of them to usually a fight with one at a time.

Fake Edit: Is there anywhere I can get that torch lighting thing (the butterflies?) I like finishing an area and then backtracking to light everything.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I actually had a relatively easy time going through the Memory of the Old Iron King, it was just a lil frustrating fighting off five alonne knights at once while being shot at by those assholes from the FoFG :shepicide:

Alonne was a good challenge, but in the end he was nothing for my strategy: Flailing about in terror

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

Alonne was a good challenge, but in the end he was nothing for my strategy: Flailing about in terror

That's my fail-proof strategy whenever somebody hits through my greatshield

"poo poo HE'S SEEN THROUGH MY EXPERT DEFENSE!"
*Proceeds to swing hammer wildly*

Well it's that or I back off a cliff.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

amazeballs posted:

Those gargoyles are the only place I said gently caress it and used a shield.

At first I was like, hmm 2 gargoyles, should be a cake walk, I've done this in DS1! Then more and more spawned as I fought them and my Great Demon Hammer build simply couldn't handle all of them at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Just started SotFS after finishing DS2 ages ago.

Just killed some Heide Knights and got the Heide Spear. Get rekt, 2/3rds of the game! :black101:

I think. They had to know we'd kill Heide Knights for their loot and adjust the future encounters. :shobon: