Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Whaaaaaat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sooo... no plan, Oliver just lopped the guy's hand off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This could really backfire.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

To be honest, out of all the character drama stuff that pops up that's among the most accurate and realistic.

Also holy poo poo I didn't see it coming that Malcolm DID lost his arm and they got rid of the League. Figured it was all just another bit of theatrics.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Eh. ?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Dude, Ollie at this point just kill him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's fine, he's right handed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zebulon posted:

To be honest, out of all the character drama stuff that pops up that's among the most accurate and realistic.

Also holy poo poo I didn't see it coming that Malcolm DID lost his arm and they got rid of the League. Figured it was all just another bit of theatrics.

I was booing her hand puns when Thea woke up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Welp

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
HAM-OFF!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh Malcolm you shitbag.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Merlyn gonna get arrowed again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

drat Malcolm, you dick.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Merlyn gonna get arrowed again.

Guess that's a pretty heavy hint that the grave is for his kid.

Malcolm is going to get the poo poo stomped out of him if Oliver figures out he gave the kid up.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well I think we might finally know who is in that grave... :ohdear:

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
OK so yeah, Oliver's son/son's mama is in the grave and Felicity is mad because he never told her until his son was killed (She was pretty pissed in the timeline that was wiped away, and he still kept it from her in the new timeline,) hence the missing ring in the flash forward.

He's upset with Malcom, because he'll find out Malcom told Darhk.

Sound right?

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
The lighter tone is in the grave.

Great episode all around. Loved having Malcolm revert to his Season 1 supervillain scream-voice for a second or two.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I thought Darkh believed that children were off-bounds - hence him rejecting Anarky?

I'm still going with Diggle being in the grave. All the focus on William is a red herring.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

Seriously.

Oliver you are dumb as gently caress and everything bad that happens to you is your own fault. Just loving kill him holy poo poo this is painful.

also lol Nyssa just disbanding the league. If only Oliver was smart enough to think of such a cunning plan in season 3.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol so Ollie shakes his hand one episode and chops it off the next

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh boy James Bamford (aka the cool and good stunt director) is directing next week's episode. Gonna see some good fights IMO.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I liked it :shobon:

Also Malcom. Malcom you have done hosed up. You have hosed right the gently caress up Malcom and it is not going to end well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Surely killing off the kid is too hosed up for this show...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scyantific posted:

Oh boy James Bamford (aka the cool and good stunt director) is directing next week's episode. Gonna see some good fights IMO.

Did you see the preview? It sounds perfect for him.

It was some scenes of Team Arrow trapped in a building as HIVE sends tons of henchmen after them.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

Did you see the preview? It sounds perfect for him.

It was some scenes of Team Arrow trapped in a building as HIVE sends tons of henchmen after them.

So, basically they're going to crib more action scenes from The Raid . Yeah, I'm down.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The League of Assassins being disbanded is like the supervillain equivalent of the breakup of the USSR. Like, yeah, this is totally a good thing on the surface. Only now instead of one country with a thousand ICBMs we have 20 countries with 50 apiece and we have to worry about a rogue, nuclear-equipped Lady Shiva.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nameless Pete posted:

The League of Assassins being disbanded is like the supervillain equivalent of the breakup of the USSR. Like, yeah, this is totally a good thing on the surface. Only now instead of one country with a thousand ICBMs we have 20 countries with 50 apiece and we have to worry about a rogue, nuclear-equipped Lady Shiva.

On the plus side, we have an excuse for some more ninja themed villains. We might even get Shado's twin sister back, and then she can fulfill her Wikipedia entry:

quote:

Shado is notable for being an antagonist and a love interest to Green Arrow in DC comic books, and is distinguished from other recurring characters by being both his rapist and the mother of his child.

(this is also by far my favorite Wikipedia sentence)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
More like therapist in the last episode.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I doubt this show just straight up steals a plotline from Grimm.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm disappointed the negotiations didn't end with
"retreat!"
smoke bomb, Nyssa's side vanishes
"after them!"
smoke bomb, Merlyn's side vanishes.

If you physically run away after a smoke bomb, what's the point of being a ninja?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jscolon2.0 posted:

So, basically they're going to crib more action scenes from The Raid . Yeah, I'm down.

The Raid 2 . Gonna get a fight in a moving car.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I thought for sure that the stuff with Oliver stepping into the duel and even cutting off Malcolm's hand was a show and part of a bigger master plan that the two of them had constructed together.

But I guess it isn't? Which would be fine, I guess, but the thing that makes no sense is that apparently Oliver is able to completely kick Malcolm's rear end and neutralize him in like 10 seconds. So doesn't that make him a complete non-threat from this point forward? Especially now that he's missing a hand.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Also the clear solution to this problem was Oliver going to Malcolm and saying "OK, let's make a fake ring, give it to Nyssa and trade it for the cure, and then after we get the cure and Thea is healed you can say 'Psych, that's a fake, fooled ya' and then you two can do your random ninja battle business"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

bbf2 posted:

Also the clear solution to this problem was Oliver going to Malcolm and saying "OK, let's make a fake ring, give it to Nyssa and trade it for the cure, and then after we get the cure and Thea is healed you can say 'Psych, that's a fake, fooled ya' and then you two can do your random ninja battle business"

Thea was maybe hours from death, not a whole lot of time to go around forging rings. Plus Ollie didn't want the League going to war in the streets of Star City. I think he was genuine in saying that given a choice between Nyssa and Merlyn he wanted Nyssa to live. So he found a way to save her and defeat Malcolm without killing him. And now there's no more League to worry about and Nyssa is an ally out in the world. Things turned out pretty much exactly as Ollie hoped. There's still the Merlyn problem, but that's just another case of Ollie failing to see that not everyone has the same values and priorities as he does. Hardly a new development.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

bbf2 posted:

I thought for sure that the stuff with Oliver stepping into the duel and even cutting off Malcolm's hand was a show and part of a bigger master plan that the two of them had constructed together.

But I guess it isn't? Which would be fine, I guess, but the thing that makes no sense is that apparently Oliver is able to completely kick Malcolm's rear end and neutralize him in like 10 seconds. So doesn't that make him a complete non-threat from this point forward? Especially now that he's missing a hand.
That's why I didn't like Oliver beating old R'as last season. There is no one that should pose a challenge to him now in a fight, other than metahumans (and perhaps a Slade on Mirakuru). The problem is that he can't both beat Merlyn this easily and then still have trouble with guys like Anarky.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

TyrantWD posted:

That's why I didn't like Oliver beating old R'as last season. There is no one that should pose a challenge to him now in a fight, other than metahumans (and perhaps a Slade on Mirakuru). The problem is that he can't both beat Merlyn this easily and then still have trouble with guys like Anarky.

But Arrowverse Anarky is craaaaaazy. Apparently in comic books and related properties, extreme mental instability augments combat prowess by a bunch. I'm pretty sure there's example after example of this in a ton of things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

I doubt this show just straight up steals a plotline from Grimm.

Nobody has ever watched Grimm so if they do it nobody will notice.

Longbaugh01 posted:

But Arrowverse Anarky is craaaaaazy. Apparently in comic books and related properties, extreme mental instability augments combat prowess by a bunch. I'm pretty sure there's example after example of this in a ton of things.

Yes, and they're all Joker.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Someone on of the 4chan threads posted some clips of the Season 1 fights, and it's amazing just how poor the action scenes have become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8vO9yYfjE

Why can't we go back to that Arrow? This Felicity & friends show we have now with fight scenes that consist of people pairing up and twirling around without making contact is really dull. Oliver is never going to get to go on adventures to other Earths, or save the timeline from being wiped from existence, so let's get back to the sociopathic vigilante who was dropping bodies all over town - at least that was fun. With Flash and LoT being light-hearted and goofy, it's fine for Arrow to be dark and brutal.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bbf2 posted:

I like that no one bothered to pick up his hand so they could re-attach it. Dicks all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

TyrantWD posted:

Someone on of the 4chan threads posted some clips of the Season 1 fights, and it's amazing just how poor the action scenes have become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8vO9yYfjE

Why can't we go back to that Arrow? This Felicity & friends show we have now with fight scenes that consist of people pairing up and twirling around without making contact is really dull. Oliver is never going to get to go on adventures to other Earths, or save the timeline from being wiped from existence, so let's get back to the sociopathic vigilante who was dropping bodies all over town - at least that was fun. With Flash and LoT being light-hearted and goofy, it's fine for Arrow to be dark and brutal.

That's not entirely fair. There were a bunch of fight scenes at the end of S3 that were clearly influenced by the stuff on Daredevil and they were universally agreed as badass.

Random thoughts on the episode:

Are rooftops generally ADA Compliant and wheelchair accessible?

Having your super bad rear end elite ninjas that drop with a single punch really defeats any gravitas the League might have. At this point I'd rather the "lol ninjas" never appear again because their "elite warriors" are pointless filler in a fight now. Just stick with the named characters.

Looking forward to the rest of the season being full of hand puns.

• Locked thread