Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

checkplease posted:

Playing mardu in the gauntlet and beat ur eldrazi game 1. But the guy was pretty bad with the deck and looks like he kept some bad hands.

I love mardu in general but boy did I have a tough time with that deck against abzan company and then zoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Entropic posted:

Not just "another Magic artist"!

I mean,

:smith:

Sierra Rush's statement

Man, this is just a bad week. :smith:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

bhsman posted:

Apparently Christopher Rush, another Magic artist, has died. :(

loving hell.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angry Grimace posted:

This is not going to make people think the format is fun.

This is because modern isnt actually fun

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

bhsman posted:

Jesus. Two in one week.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

TheLawinator posted:

I love mardu in general but boy did I have a tough time with that deck against abzan company and then zoo.

Yeah next two games were gw company and then abzan company. Both wrecked me, couldn't keep up with all the eteneral witness company or gavony chains. Though I did make a few mistakes like forgetting that k command kills spellskite...

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Star Man posted:

Jesus. Two in one week.

Who was the first?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

A big flaming stink posted:

Who was the first?

Star Man posted:

Wayne England, everyone.

The Lorwyn commands and Worldgorger Dragon.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AgentSythe posted:

In which King Idiot Fucker Moron Owen Turtenwald talks poo poo about Relentless Rats

I beat him with Signal the Rats awhile back actually on MODO

edit: Actually I don't know exactly who was playing, it was one of the Pantheon card accounts

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/maro254/status/697650350153576448

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

lsv posted:

I battled Yuuya Watanabe and his Griselbrand Reanimator deck in Round 12. We had some fast-paced games, and Thought-Knot Seers and Chalices were crucial. The key strategic point in the match came when I played Pithing Needle and named Griselbrand. Marshall came over to verify what I named so the coverage booth would know, and I said “Griselbrand Enraged.” He was confused, then mildly annoyed, and everyone was satisfied.

The video evidence of such can be found here.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

bhsman posted:

I met him at GP Chicago the summer of 2014. I know that's almost two years ago and a lot can happen in that time but he was so vibrant, laughing at everyone's bad jokes, signing a million cards, doing alters right at his table.

I never met Wayne England but I loved his art, not only in Magic but in Warhammer and D&D as well, always dug his stuff from Kamigawa block in particular in terms of Magic.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

While I don't really think that England's art ever really meshed all that well with MtG's aesthetic, man but did he ever do amazing things for Games Workshop when I was growing up. His Chaos and Greenskins were iconic.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

STiL. posted:

While I don't really think that England's art ever really meshed all that well with MtG's aesthetic, man but did he ever do amazing things for Games Workshop when I was growing up. His Chaos and Greenskins were iconic.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

where in the video was this?

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2
The blackest Lotus. loving terrible.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

GeneX posted:

where in the video was this?

It's at 25:40.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
OTOH your signed Black Lotus (let's face it, collector's edition) just became an endangered species

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've skimmed Turtenwald's article, and whilst I disagree with the thrust of it (he doesn't argue the core case that modern shouldn't be a PT format well) it highlighted the problem with the Eldrazi deck, that it is able to get a lot of stuff before the mana system should allow them to be afforded. Obviously part of that are the "ancient tombs" of Temple and Eye, also Phyrexian mana and Simian Spirit guide. Should they maybe look at a Gutshot or Dismember ban? At least LSV could claim to have gotten a card banned! Gutshot is good against Affinity and Infect though.

Or would it be enough to ban Temple (my pick since it turns off T2 Thought-knot Seer for the most part)? I'd like the deck to exist in some form, ideally in a way that let's the pre-OGW processor deck compete. Think I'm going to sell mine again and invest in brewing some more.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

STiL. posted:

Oh gently caress I knew I recognised the name from somewhere else

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Wurzag posted:

Oh gently caress I knew I recognised the name from somewhere else

I think he handled all the art direction on Gorkamorka.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've skimmed Turtenwald's article, and whilst I disagree with the thrust of it (he doesn't argue the core case that modern shouldn't be a PT format well) it highlighted the problem with the Eldrazi deck, that it is able to get a lot of stuff before the mana system should allow them to be afforded. Obviously part of that are the "ancient tombs" of Temple and Eye, also Phyrexian mana and Simian Spirit guide. Should they maybe look at a Gutshot or Dismember ban? At least LSV could claim to have gotten a card banned! Gutshot is good against Affinity and Infect though.

Or would it be enough to ban Temple (my pick since it turns off T2 Thought-knot Seer for the most part)? I'd like the deck to exist in some form, ideally in a way that let's the pre-OGW processor deck compete. Think I'm going to sell mine again and invest in brewing some more.

Gut Shot is about as fair as a free card can get

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Luis Scott Vargas posted:

Gut Shot is about as fair as a free card can get

Not an emptyquote

Less jokingly: I think I agree. It's a good effect, the number is low enough to make it count and to hint at what it's supposed to be, without making it painfully obvious.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Four Score posted:

OTOH your signed Black Lotus (let's face it, collector's edition) just became an endangered species

I never did get my judge Bolts signed. :( He couldn't make it to Eternal Weekend because of health problems.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Did two PT gauntlets so far, got two different eldrazi decks. 6-0, and only once or twice did it feel particularly close. Only time I can think of is an infect player being one mana short of killing me. The deck just feels like it's doing things nothing else in modern can and it isn't even a particularly hard deck to play. I'm sure some decks will adjust to have answers but these eldrazi decks are really, really dumb right now.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Did two PT gauntlets so far, got two different eldrazi decks. 6-0, and only once or twice did it feel particularly close. Only time I can think of is an infect player being one mana short of killing me. The deck just feels like it's doing things nothing else in modern can and it isn't even a particularly hard deck to play. I'm sure some decks will adjust to have answers but these eldrazi decks are really, really dumb right now.

I get the same feeling, though I think the infect match-up is kind of close. Sometimes you tap out to swing for 15 on turn 3 and they shrug, take the hit, and one-shot you with Might of Old Krosa and Become Immense.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
for those who have played the Eldrazi deck, please report back on whether Eye or Temple is the broken land in the deck, tia

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

MiddleEastBeast posted:

for those who have played the Eldrazi deck, please report back on whether Eye or Temple is the broken land in the deck, tia

All broken lands are beautiful

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Eye, by a mile. The deck just doesn't work without a sol land, and Eye is far better in every single draw I had it in with the U/R version. Incidentally I also managed to go 1-2, losing easily to Jeskai Control and barely losing a third game to Infect where I mulliganed to 4, had a tapped Vile Aggregate, Eldrazi Skyspawner and Scion in play at 13 against an opponent at 9 with a Hierarch. I know the opponent has Might of Old Krosa and Groundswell and a land in hand and two unknowns. They play a land, attack with Noble. I choose not to block, they go Might, Groundswell, Become Immense for 13. I can chump there, force them to use a buff spell, but then I just have no clock because as it turns out mulliganing to 4 is not great. If they didn't draw Become Immense, though, I think I would have won on a goddamn mulligan to 4, which is just total nonsense.

Eye is getting banned.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Eye, by a mile. The deck just doesn't work without a sol land, and Eye is far better in every single draw I had it in with the U/R version. Incidentally I also managed to go 1-2, losing easily to Jeskai Control and barely losing a third game to Infect where I mulliganed to 4, had a tapped Vile Aggregate, Eldrazi Skyspawner and Scion in play at 13 against an opponent at 9 with a Hierarch. I know the opponent has Might of Old Krosa and Groundswell and a land in hand and two unknowns. They play a land, attack with Noble. I choose not to block, they go Might, Groundswell, Become Immense for 13. I can chump there, force them to use a buff spell, but then I just have no clock because as it turns out mulliganing to 4 is not great. If they didn't draw Become Immense, though, I think I would have won on a goddamn mulligan to 4, which is just total nonsense.

Eye is getting banned.

Eye does allow a theoretical T2 win:

T1- Eye, Eldrazi Mimic x4
T2- Red Source, Vile Aggrigate (5/5) swing for 20

Not sure that's likely enough to be grounds for a ban on it's own. I just want the old BW Processor version to come through mostly intact!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Eye does allow a theoretical T2 win:

T1- Eye, Eldrazi Mimic x4
T2- Red Source, Vile Aggrigate (5/5) swing for 20

Not sure that's likely enough to be grounds for a ban on it's own. I just want the old BW Processor version to come through mostly intact!

Alternatively:

T1 - Eye, Mimic x3
T2 - temple, SSG, Reality Smasher swing for 20

deftest
May 7, 2011
You know what plays well against that eldrazi deck?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

deftest posted:

The return of maze's end turbofog?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

deftest posted:

Come to think of it, isn't fog insane against infect and maybe even affinity too?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

what makes fog good against eldrazi and not just, you know, fog

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Come to think of it, isn't fog insane against infect and maybe even affinity too?

Against infect when they've loaded up a bunch of pumps on a guy? Yeah. Against Affinity? No, Affinity is just going to swing for lethal against you next turn anyway. You'll need a dedicated turbofog effect and even then, if you miss a turn, you're probably dead.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
the only good fog decks were 4 color gifts in block and time sieve in standard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm actually working on UW Turbofog for Modern but it's not quite done. I doubt it's any good outside of beating Eldrazi but it's really funny and satisfies my need for lovely Mill decks. It even runs former PT winner Sphinx's Tutelage!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

gwrtheyrn posted:

The return of maze's end turbofog?

too much LD in modern for that to work....one crumble to dust and you're hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost