Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I got a job at a subsidiary of a swiss company, how much money do I need to go live with the gnomes in zurich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Depends, how much Nazi gold do you have lying around? They're big on that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you don't have any you can buy the next best thing here.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
Looks like the new contract will be imposed on Junior Doctors after all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35548091

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
by the strength of Allah guide the BMA into calling for a general strike, thanks in advance, pc gone mad

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

XMNN posted:

I got a job at a subsidiary of a swiss company, how much money do I need to go live with the gnomes in zurich?

A lot.

Zurich is loving hideously expensive. A friend of mine occasionally needs to go there for work and he said that if this wasn't on expense account he'd go broke as gently caress.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jeremy Hunt once co-authored a paper about how it was time to privatise the NHS.

Also I remember something about every Tory front bencher having links to private heathcare providers.

This is from a few years ago under the coalition government, in regards to MPs who voted for the Health and Social Care Act 2012, and their links to private healthcare companies

quote:

One in five Coalition MPs have links with private firms who could profit from the Government’s NHS reforms, a damning dossier will reveal on Tuesday.

Prime Minister David Cameron, former Health Secretary Andrew Lansley and his successor Jeremy Hunt are among 64 Tory MPs named in a study by the Unite union.
Deputy PM Nick Clegg and Business Secretary Vince Cable are among seven Liberal Democrats on the list.

All 71 MPs named in the dossier voted in favour of the Government’s controversial Health and Social Care Act in 2012, which opened up the NHS to more private firms.
[...]
Many of the MPs named in the document have directly received donations from business leaders or firms with links to the private health industry.

Some are kinda weak links, others are large donations, shares, or other vested interests.

[e]: Source: BBC

Commons votes to end automatic naming of arrested MPs posted:

ny arrested MP will not automatically be identified in the Commons after MPs backed changes to its procedures.

In future, the MP involved will be consulted and named only if there is an issue of "parliamentary privilege or constitutional significance" at stake.

The cross-party Procedure Committee said revealing names of arrested MPs was incompatible with a privacy right.

Chairman Charles Walker said he was not asking for special treatment for MPs but for the law to be applied equally.

The Commons approved changes to the existing rules, which require the police to notify the Speaker when an MP is arrested and for the Speaker in turn to tell the House, without a formal vote.

Mr Walker, the Tory MP for Broxbourne, in Hertfordshire, told the Commons that MPs should have the same rights to privacy as any other citizen, and in future their names should not be put in the public domain if they were arrested, unless this was directly connected to their role as an MP.

But objecting to the change, Labour MP John Mann argued that it would give MPs special rights in law that do not apply to everyone else.

Deputy Commons leader Therese Coffey said it was up to the Commons to decide although the government has indicated that the change brings MPs into line with the rest of the public.

The Procedure Committee's recent report revealed that in the last Parliament, Tory MPs Nigel Evans and David Ruffley were named after their arrests. Mr Evans was later acquitted of sexual offences and Mr Ruffley cautioned for assault.

Green MP Caroline Lucas was arrested during an anti-fracking protest and later acquitted of obstruction.

Meanwhile it has emerged that police have been involved in a total of five cases linked to MPs' expenses under the current system, with none of the politicians identified.

In December it emerged that the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA), the MPs' expenses watchdog, had referred three potentially criminal cases to police in March without any public announcement, or identifying the individuals involved.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 11, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Personally I hope Sanders wins because It'd be hilarious to watch the right wing of America's reaction and also because it'd convince a lot of people to vote for Corbyn classic if AmeriCorbyn wins.

Only problem here is that the senate is incredibly conservative by definition and most people don't understand that, so Sanders not implementing anything actually progressive would be blamed on him and used to discredit Ol Corbs

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Only problem here is that the senate is incredibly conservative by definition and most people don't understand that, so Sanders not implementing anything actually progressive would be blamed on him and used to discredit Ol Corbs

Pretty much. One of the benefits of a Hillary presidency is she knows how to rules lawyer things in the House. Also that no-one hates the GOP more than she does. Hell she's been poo poo on by the GOP since 1991, sometimes very effectively. If there's one reason I won't be sad if Bernie doesn't clinch the nomination it's that he's losing to the personification of hatred for the Republicans.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I've got an American passport kicking around somewhere, so if I can't find love by the time I'm 35 or whatever I'll just start pimping out my multiple nationalities.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

I've got an American passport kicking around somewhere, so if I can't find love by the time I'm 35 or whatever I'll just start pimping out my multiple nationalities.

I'm not sure America will still be around in 20 years, the way it's going.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Angepain posted:

Tread carefully, two you might get away with but by the time you get to the third they're going to cotton on that you're just in it for the citizenship.

Ehhh, I had a green card and I'd been in the US long enough I could have applied for US citizenship already if I'd wanted to. I didn't end up doing that because of the tax implications but, welp, guess I should probably have done it after all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

I'm not sure America will still be around in 20 years, the way it's going.

trump is going to make america great again actually

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

Ronald Dump will not be president.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

I really am not very happy about this plagiarism of a slogan which clearly works better in Britain than America.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Trump can have all Britain's unwanted Express slogans for all I care.

Except one. Carson can run on the aspirin and fish oil stop cancer platform.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

Actually he's going to make America grate.

As in rub, chafe, divide into smaller parts through friction.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

Trump can have all Britain's unwanted Express slogans for all I care.

Except one. Carson can run on the aspirin and fish oil stop cancer platform.

carson is running on the being on oxy all the time platform as far as i can tell

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Coohoolin posted:

hope you've been filing those tax returns!

also, uhh you had better have reported any accounts w/ over $10k to the Treasury Department

And have informed any banks that you are a US person under FATCA IGAs

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
People planning to flee the UK, why America? As I said learn to teach English, go South America or parts of Asia earn equivalent of low end British wages but live somewhere where the GDP per capita is basically what you earn in two months, the convince yourselves you aren't exploiting anyone by saying learning English will vastly improve their lives. Just let me get out first so you don't take all the best jobs.

Jose posted:

carson is running on the being on oxy all the time platform as far as i can tell

This would be how I would run, can get a lot of oxys with all those fat donations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Malcolm XML posted:

hope you've been filing those tax returns!

also, uhh you had better have reported any accounts w/ over $10k to the Treasury Department

And have informed any banks that you are a US person under FATCA IGAs

lol as if I'd have an account with over 10k, hoho whit are ye like.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Junior G-man posted:

A lot.

Zurich is loving hideously expensive. A friend of mine occasionally needs to go there for work and he said that if this wasn't on expense account he'd go broke as gently caress.

This. My girlfriend lives there and I spend a fair bit of time there. It's ridiculously expensive. The wages are amazing though, Lidl was having a recruitment drive for supermarket staff and even shelf-stackers start at 4k Euros per month. My girlfriend works at a call centre and gets paid more than I do as a senior designer with 20 years of experience in my field.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

StoneOfShame posted:

People planning to flee the UK, why America? As I said learn to teach English, go South America or parts of Asia earn equivalent of low end British wages but live somewhere where the GDP per capita is basically what you earn in two months, the convince yourselves you aren't exploiting anyone by saying learning English will vastly improve their lives. Just let me get out first so you don't take all the best jobs.

This would be how I would run, can get a lot of oxys with all those fat donations.

I'm gonna go an be an English language teacher in third-world-hellhole USA and get some of that american strange

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

This. My girlfriend lives there and I spend a fair bit of time there. It's ridiculously expensive. The wages are amazing though, Lidl was having a recruitment drive for supermarket staff and even shelf-stackers start at 4k Euros per month. My girlfriend works at a call centre and gets paid more than I do as a senior designer with 20 years of experience in my field.

Yeah but they need that money to pay rent and buy the stuff on the shelves in Lidl. It's not like you'll have a Mayfair lifestyle for it.

code:
Average Costs, Zurich

Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre		1,821.03 Fr.	
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre		1,434.64 Fr.	
Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre		3,351.56 Fr.	
Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre	2,480.54 Fr.	

Milk (regular), (1 liter)			1.55 Fr.	
Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g)		2.94 Fr.	
Rice (white), (1kg)				2.64 Fr.
Eggs (12)					5.70 Fr.	
1 swiss frank is 0.71 GBP at the moment. So a basket of 12 eggs is 4.06 pounds.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 11, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Coohoolin posted:

have fun deciphering this lol: https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Comparison-of-Form-8938-and-FBAR-Requirements

Don't gently caress around w/ it they have no qualms with hitting you with that non-willful filing fee.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I've been to zurich and can confirm I felt very poor.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OvineYeast posted:

You could still claim Irish citizenship with a great-grandfather if your parent put themselves on the foreign birth register btw.

I think they'd have had to have done that before I was born, right? Presumably though if my dad (whose grandfather was Irish) took the option of gaining citizenship, any children I had after that would then be eligible through him.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

LMAO sometimes the Welsh are awesome:

quote:

Any junior doctors in England should know they will not have the contract imposed if they cross the border, the Welsh health minister Mark Drakeford has said in a statement released just now.

We have no plans to impose a new junior doctors’ contract.

Wales has a strong tradition of working in partnership with our staff and their representatives.

Wales will continue to offer attractive working arrangements and a positive training experience, based on the existing new deal arrangements.

Junior doctors from any part of the UK interested in working in Wales will find fair working conditions and a very warm welcome here.

From the Guardian liveblog.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonna pop over to Cardiff for this heart attack, should be there in a couple of hours.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

big scary monsters posted:

I think they'd have had to have done that before I was born, right? Presumably though if my dad (whose grandfather was Irish) took the option of gaining citizenship, any children I had after that would then be eligible through him.

Not necessarily! A lot of people gain European citizenship through their parents first because of their grandparents/great grandparents. It's worth looking into and I know some people who have gotten Romanian, Hungarian, Italian, etc. passports this way

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Coohoolin posted:

Your bank will still want to know that you're a US citizen (whether or not you are personally currently significant enough to generate a US tax bill) for their compliance reasons. Or the US authorities might fine them there.

But they might be loosenijg FATCA anyway, so who knows if it'll still matter.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/35383435

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Looks like the Independent is going online only

quote:

Independent owner considering closing national print titles

Evgeny Lebedev and team have not yet made a final decision but he is expected to close 30-year-old titles

The owner of the Independent and Independent on Sunday is considering closing the national print titles and moving to a web-only operation.

Evgeny Lebedev and his top lieutenants have not yet made a final decision, however it is widely expected that they will cease printing the 30-year old newspaper, leading to significant job losses.

The move has been prompted by Lebedev’s decision to sell the i, the cut-price national title which props up the Independent, to Johnston Press in a £25m cash deal.

Assuming the sale goes through, Lebedev is expected to seek to invest the proceeds into further developing the independent.co.uk website into an international digital newsbrand – while ending the newspapers.

His father Alexander, who handed control of the media assets to his son, said he was not directly involved in negotiations over the i, but insisted that the Independent and Independent on Sunday both “had a future”.

He said reports that they might close were “guessing” and added there “could be different options” out there for the struggling titles. “If someone is interested there is a market. This is a capitalist economy,” he told the Guardian.

Alexander Lebedev was bullish about the Independent’s prospects. Asked if it could continue, he said: “I think so. It has a future. Believe me.”

It is understood that Evgeny Lebedev has been seeking a buyer for the Independent titles, as he and his father did in 2014, but talks with a potential Qatari suitor fell through.

Evgeny is expected to retain ownership of the Evening Standard, which is 25% owned by Daily Mail publisher DMGT, and the TV station London Live.

Johnston Presswill need to gain shareholder approval for the deal, which is expected to announced within days, and will retain about half the i’s staff.

The company will also licence content from the Independent and the Evening Standard.

Sales figures show how difficult it has become for the Independent and Independent on Sunday. The Independent’s official paid circulation is just 40,718, boosted by 15,356 free or discounted bulk copies.

The Independent on Sunday sells on average 42,888 copies, with its circulation more than doubled with another 49,861 bulks.

It is understood that a combination of the i, Independent and Independent on Sunday is at almost break even point.

Heavy cost-cutting has seen staff on the flagship national titles reduced to just 150 full-time employees, boosted by a casual workforce.

The last publicly available figures, for the year to September 2014, show a trading loss of £4.6m.

When the Lebedevs acquired the Independent and Independent on Sunday in 2010 losses were running at £22.6m.

Alexander Lebedev said the financial woes of his newspaper group had been exaggerated.

“We are not pressed on anything really,” he said. “TV [London Live] promises to break even over the next six months. The Indy was doing quite well in recent months. There is no pressure, as far as I know. The market can be volatile but I haven’t seen anything bad in half a year.”

He went on: “I think the Independent has a future. The British nation should not be frustrated.”

The Lebedevs have pumped more than £111m into their UK media assets up until the end of September 2014, £65m of that is thought to have been on the Independent titles.

The launch of the i in 2010 was a clever strategic move that provided something of a lifeline for the Independent titles.

The cut price national, which has doubled in price to 40p since launch, was described by a former chief executive as a vital “rubber ring” to make the Indy titles sustainable long term.

Lebedev is aiming to invest the £25m proceeds from the sale of the i into beefing up the Independent website.

Interestingly, the website is held in a separate company to the Indy print titles, which means it is ring-fenced from the impact of any decision to close the titles.

Arguably the newspapers’ most valuable asset, it has 2.8 million daily unique browsers and 58 million monthly uniques, making it a relative minnow in comparison to some of its rivals.

The company that controls the website has just two directors, Evgeny Lebedev and Justin Byam Shaw.

Lebedev is understood to remain committed to the Evening Standard, which makes about £2m in profits.

He is also continuing to back London Live, the local TV channel for the capital, which reported a loss of £6m in the year to the end of September.

The channel, which has gone through a major restructuring and content strategy shift, is now targeting break even in 2017.

Johnston Press, which has 220 local and regional titles, believes that owning the i will help it attract a greater share of national advertising and create the UK’s fourth largest print publisher with over 600,000 sales per day.

The i has a circulation of 268,431, although 67,752 of those are bulk copies.

The regional newspaper publisher said that in the year to the end of September 2015, the i had an “unaudited carve-out” operating profit of £5.2m.

The figure is the first time an independent assessment of the profitability of the i, which was launched in 2010, has been made public.

It has widely been considered almost impossible to unpick the operation of the i from the Independent and Independent on Sunday, due to huge editorial and commercial co-dependency and shared resource between the titles.

News of the deal comes weeks after chief executive Ashley Highfield, the former senior BBC and Microsoft executive, announced sweeping plans to sell-off swathes of less desirable titles to focus on the group’s “gems”.

While titles such as the Scotsman and Yorkshire Post have a future, those that don’t fit certain criteria, such as titles that serve wealthier readers with “more disposable income”, are to be offered for sale to rivals.

Johnston Press has been in a financially difficult situation since the downturn. When Highfield joined in 2011 the company was struggling with a debt burden of almost £400m. It has since reduced this to £180m, on profits of £56m and revenues of £247m.

Alex DeGroote, an analyst at Peel Hunt with a bearish view of Johnston Press’s future, said he was “confused” by the rationale for the proposed deal.

“We are in favour of print industry consolidation,” he said. “However, we are confused by Johnston Press’s business strategy as a regional publisher, which has focused on paring back print, in favour of digital.”

Part of me thinks good, because gently caress the dead tree press, but another part is mildly annoyed that we'll be losing one of the few non-rabidly right wing sources of news for people who still read papers (which, granted, is not many people).

Their website is shiiiiiiiit though, I don't think there's enough money in the world to fix that.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

Your bank will still want to know that you're a US citizen (whether or not you are personally currently significant enough to generate a US tax bill) for their compliance reasons. Or the US authorities might fine them there.

But they might be loosenijg FATCA anyway, so who knows if it'll still matter.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/35383435

Can't remember if I told BoS when I signed up. Think I should tell them again?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gidiot's brother has been struck off the medical register for dating one of his patients for 2 years http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/11/george-osborne-brother-adam-struck-off-psychiatrist-affair-with-patient-medical-tribunal

apparently she attempted suicide after he dumped her :smith:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Coohoolin posted:

Can't remember if I told BoS when I signed up. Think I should tell them again?

Look, your a busy man. Just pm me your account details and I'll take care of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Gidiot's brother has been struck off the medical register for dating one of his patients for 2 years http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/11/george-osborne-brother-adam-struck-off-psychiatrist-affair-with-patient-medical-tribunal

apparently she attempted suicide after he dumped her :smith:

To be fair she was seeing a psychiatrist. Between that and dating an Osborne, a suicide attempt is hardly surprising.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol if you're a plebe and try to move to zurich...
incredibly boring and only worth moving there if you're on an expat package... like Dubai

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

To be fair she was seeing a psychiatrist. Between that and dating an Osborne, a suicide attempt is hardly surprising.

look at that face

it's like the english have engaged in a breeding program with this as the end goal

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hate to agree with shrike82 but yeah Switzerland is a dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

shrike82 posted:

look at that face

it's like the english have engaged in a breeding program with this as the end goal

That's not English, English produces weird mutant people with bizzare accents. That's like, aristocracy levels of inbreeding.

• Locked thread