Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Bovril Delight posted:

Yeah I've found 330hp just not enough anymore. I think 500hp would be enough.

This isn't sarcasm.

100% truth.

My thought process today: "Hmm... an e90 M3 would be nice, but it really needs a supercharger."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

i guess the new armada has finally filled its diaper

http://m.caranddriver.com/news/2017-nissan-armada-photos-and-info-news

E: ok, it sort of looked like that before but it looks a bit more bulbous this time around.

a primate fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 11, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wheeee posted:

Actual power is irrelevant, what matters is market position of the vehicle in question.

A new V6 Mustang or Camaro is faster than a decade-old V8 version, I used to drive a fourth-gen Z28 which was ridiculously fast for a street car, but... Who wants the piece of poo poo base model? I for one would never consider a Camaro or Mustang without the V8 despite even the base trims being too fast to wring out on the street.

The base Cayman drives well and has more than enough power to do burnouts, but lol you couldn't afford the S?

People buy vehicles for what they represent, not what they are.

That's ridiculous. Why would you pay more (or even the same amount) for something that's slower and less efficient?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

PT6A posted:

That's ridiculous. Why would you pay more (or even the same amount) for something that's slower and less efficient?

Because you mistakenly think that there is a replacement for displacement?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

My next purchase (other than many more Soarers) is looking like a GS450h, which is like a big Prius, so thanks for the advice :D.

I'd have probably had one of them by now if I actually fit comfortably - for a fairly large car they're incredibly cramped inside.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Prius is one of the best and coolest cars on the market today.

If you went back in time to the 1980's and showed people most 2016 cars they'd be all "What is this lame poo poo" but if you showed them a 2016 Prius they'd be all "poo poo yea that's a future car right there".

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kimbo305 posted:

What matters is how much tire you have. Unrelated to your point, I know.

Part of the :rice: mystique is that your car gets a lot more scary when all you do is up the power.
Cars that come stock with 400hp and 500hp generally have enough tire (and/or weight) to make that power feel usable and tame.

I have never felt more scared than when I was driving a turbo BP motored Festiva on 165 section tires.

This was actually the premise of one of my favourite Harris videos... Big engined car on space savers, how much fun is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

leica posted:

It's because you fools are building a tolerance to HP. The first car you get with 300 HP seems incredible until you get used to it and "need" more, it just doesn't massage your prostate like it used to does it :colbert:

Even just being used to driving my 160hp sedan, going to a 75hp hatchback felt glacially slow at first. I know it's not huge numbers, but it's still a 50% reduction in power.

But now after a couple of weeks, it feels OK. Still slow, but certainly able to keep up with traffic just fine.

However, I can't wait to get back into my own car and have some actual torque again.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

a primate posted:

E: ok, it sort of looked like that before but it looks a bit more bulbous this time around.

I can't decide if I like this or hate it. I will say after driving past about 20 of those QX80's a day the Nissan front end looks better than the Infiniti catfish grille

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Wheeee posted:

If you went back in time to the 1980's and showed people most 2016 cars they'd be all "What is this lame poo poo" but if you showed them a 2016 Prius they'd be all "poo poo yea that's a future car right there".

Future car with future prices for headlight replacement after someone releases a shopping cart anywhere within 180º of the front of your car

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Wheeee posted:

Pretty sure flying deloreans are the 80s future car bubba

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wheeee posted:

The new Prius is worse than the old prius because they shrank the cargo area for questionable styling reasons

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I see a lot of those priuses in the right hand lane.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

For when you really, really want to make sure other people know what you are driving

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It reminds me of a pair of trainers I have that has no less than 7 logos per shoe.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Dislike button posted:

For when you really, really want to make sure other people know what you are driving

People love that poo poo yo! Think about what one of these will be worth in 60 years. In the bleak future of electric penalty boxes. Although Tesla makes the future seem decidedly un-bleak.

Like so:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It's really not out of character for a Dodge at all, I don't think any other manufacturer could pull that off

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Dislike button posted:

RAWR BIG TOUGH OFF-ROADER teeny tiny wheels

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

I see a lot of those priuses in the right hand lane.

Funnily enough, I see a lot of them in the left lane doing 130 kph which I assume negates the fuel saving a bit.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

a primate posted:

Funnily enough, I see a lot of them in the left lane doing 130 kph which I assume negates the fuel saving a bit.

A Prius doing everything right on the freeway will get 50mpg (4.7l/100km)

A Prius driving like a freaking racecar on the freeway will get 39mpg (6l/100km) if you try REALLY hard. It's still better than 95% of other cars on the road.

Look at the cost difference. Fuel is $1.86 a gallon, and I live in one of the highest fuel tax states in the US. (over in NJ, it's $1.64 a gallon)

if I drive 100 miles west on the PA turnpike - it'll cost me $3.72 if I'm driving nice, or $4.76 if I have a lead foot. So it costs like a dollar more to drive like a psycho.

If I drive 100 miles northeast on the NJ turnpike - $3.28 for nice and $4.21 for psycho driving. $0.93 speed tax there.

But then I have to pay the tolls! They both cost more than the fuel does. PA turnpike will be about $9.59 NJ turnpike would be something like $7.25

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

20-25% reduction in fuel economy is still pretty substantial but I see your point

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

A prius will never be as cool as that dodge

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:iiam:

Moon suits from Asia I assume.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

a primate posted:

20-25% reduction in fuel economy is still pretty substantial but I see your point
MPG is super misleading. The actual reduction is pretty small.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

a primate posted:

This is the vehicle, when I see it around, that gets the biggest "WHY????" reaction out of me. From the driving of the people I've encountered in them, they seem to be harder to maneuver than an actual dump truck, they have none of the utility (real or imagined) of like a bigass dually crew cab truck, and they don't fit any more people than a minivan that costs half as much, uses half as much gas, and is cheaper to insure. I watched a guy scootch back and forth in a parking lot for 30 minutes one day trying to fit one of these things into a parking space. Even the name of the thing screams "this is pointless and huge".

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This is the vehicle, when I see it around, that gets the biggest "WHY????" reaction out of me. From the driving of the people I've encountered in them, they seem to be harder to maneuver than an actual dump truck, they have none of the utility (real or imagined) of like a bigass dually crew cab truck, and they don't fit any more people than a minivan that costs half as much, uses half as much gas, and is cheaper to insure. I watched a guy scootch back and forth in a parking lot for 30 minutes one day trying to fit one of these things into a parking space. Even the name of the thing screams "this is pointless and huge".

but the driving position is higher and i can see the road better, also it's bigger and therefore safer don't u know

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sorry about your dick bro. I'm still amazed that Dodge employs the JC Whitney catalog on some of their trucks from the factory. It's like a step away from being one of those cars in the terrible car thread covered in fake Buick portholes.

The Raptor is the only one of these types of trucks to get it right from the factory. I think the new F150 is hideous but the Raptor treatment works really well on it.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

blugu64 posted:

A prius will never be as cool as that dodge

I agree. So I put this on my Prius.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

a primate posted:

I've got my fingers crossed that the reviewers aren't huffing paint and the new Prius is actually reasonably fun to drive, a car that got ~40mpg while having the poo poo beat out of it sounds amazing and like the Civics / 323s / Fiestas of old, but better.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My car has ~110HP and my motorcycle has ~110HP.

I could go (and likely have gone...) felony speeds with either, so I don't really have much of a draw to more power.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
So the MY2017 1LE Camaro's got announced. What does electronically actuated limited-slip differential mean? What is the expectation for pricing on the 1LE?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tijag posted:

So the MY2017 1LE Camaro's got announced. What does electronically actuated limited-slip differential mean? What is the expectation for pricing on the 1LE?

It uses a hydaulic pump and clutches to grab and hold the differential half shafts as needed, based on sensor input and ECU determination of torque needs.
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-discussions/1504-corvette-z-51-e-diff-thread.html#post11538
The diff part starts at ~27:30.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

tijag posted:

Mechanical LSD with electronically controlled lockup (I think you're talking about the SS1LE; the V6 version has a mechanical diff, so I would be shocked if they cheaped out for the V8), I've heard, and $3500ish, respectively.

EDIT: I am trying to find confirmation that the V8 has a mechanical LSD w/ electronic control, but haven't. It may not be.

Electric Pigeon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 11, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

a primate posted:

I see a 20% difference on my vehicles in a similar situation. Cruising at 65MPH taking it easy vs 80MPH driving a bit aggressively makes a difference in most vehicles.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

It uses a hydaulic pump and clutches to grab and hold the differential half shafts as needed, based on sensor input and ECU determination of torque needs.
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-discussions/1504-corvette-z-51-e-diff-thread.html#post11538
The diff part starts at ~27:30.

Wow, that eLSD sounds very impressive. Supposedly it's the same one in the Corvette transaxle, so I assumed it was good, but just didn't understand what it was actually doing. Thank you for the link, I will watch the video soon. I did try googling that question but I got a lot of links about using the brakes on FWD cars which didn't sound like what would be happening on the Camaro.

Electric Pigeon posted:

Mechanical LSD with electronically controlled lockup (I think you're talking about the SS1LE; the V6 version has a mechanical diff, so I would be shocked if they cheped out for the V8), I've heard, and $3500ish, respectively.

So, $3500 over the base SS price? That seems unreal, since this is including a better LSD, better brakes, forged wheels, bigger rubber, and the magentic dampers, plus a bunch of assorted suspension upgrades and recaros as standard on the V8 version of the 1LE. I'm thinking this will be more like a $7k upgrade to the base SS pricing. But I hope you're right. :D

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Have we talked about this yet?

http://jalopnik.com/2017-volvo-v90-this-is-it-1758505591

This is probably the first non-sporty new car I've ever been excited about.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
3500 is for v6 1le, ss price not announced yet I think.

The ss 1le, and even the v6 1le, are badass affordable cars on paper... Just a shame that I sat in one and the visibility is STILL total loving garbage. Seriously can they put those packages in the ats coupe somehow?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I see a 20% difference on my vehicles in a similar situation. Cruising at 65MPH taking it easy vs 80MPH driving a bit aggressively makes a difference in most vehicles.

Yeah, but 20% being 40 instead of 50 means $50 instead of $40 per 1,000 miles at $2/gallon

20% being 16mpg instead of 20mpg means $125 vs $100 per 100,000 miles at $2/gallon.

MPG isn't a linear scale.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Dollar gains decrease as fuel economy goes up, which is why it's such a big deal for heavy trucks to gain 0.5mpg (also they drive hundreds of thousands of miles per year). Doesn't stop the auto companies from 1mpg dickwaving though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Which is why most of the civilized world uses L/100km. Even if we did it in Imperial units, Gallons per 100 miles (or whatever) is a much better and more useful metric.

The same nominal "5mpg" difference between 10mpg and 15mpg is HUGE, but the difference between 45mpg and 50mpg is miniscule. To the layman "5mpg" seems like it should be a constant measure, but it's not at all. The marginal value of additional "mpg" as you go gets vanishingly small.

The difference becomes way more apparent when you rephrase those measurements into G/100mi:

10mpg = 10G/100mi
15mpg = 6.67G/100mi
Net difference over 100 miles: 3.33 gallons, or at $2/gallon = $6.66, $4/gallon = $13.32

45mpg = 2.22G/100mi
50mpg = 2G/100mi
Net difference over 100 miles: 0.2 gallons, or at $2/gallon = $0.40, $4/gallon = $0.80

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2016